• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is no one talking about how bad Ghost Of Tsushima looks in certain areas?

Chun Swae

Banned
3708173-ghostoftsushima_20200716143452.jpg

These are just some examples, not even the best at how flat Ghost of Tsushima looks in all areas that are not the forest. Also ignore the lady bugging out that isn't the point. It looks considerably worse than their PS4 launch game Infamous Second Son. None also talks about how the animation looks entirely keyframed and the cutscenes for most NPC are just a wide shot camera angle with absolutely no movement whatsoever. You would think zero effort went into the presentation of this big budget Sony first party game outside its foliage area which for somehow hides the flat lighting.

Though this is all saved by some very fun sword combat and moves, I just feel like I'm taking crazy pills whenever I play this game and see how bad some parts of it look.

EDIT: Here's the first video I found of Sucker Punch's 2014 game Infamous Second Son. The lighting, npc animations, and textures look like an actual PS4 game. All I'm saying is that I feel like I'm taking crazy pills my thinking that the engine seems significantly downgraded from then and now,

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I literally logged on to post this exact same thing. I just finished TLOU2 which doesn't suffer nearly as much as GoT does, but the E3 conference, this game IS NOT. When you spend half an hour trying to tweak game and TV settings to match what you expected from the game then realize that you've just been had...that's a fuckin problem. There has been obvious downgrades and I'm glad you brought it up.

Chun Swae

Banned
I literally logged on to post this exact same thing. I just finished TLOU2 which doesn't suffer nearly as much as GoT does, but the E3 conference, this game IS NOT. When you spend half an hour trying to tweak game and TV settings to match what you expected from the game then realize that you've just been had...that's a fuckin problem. There has been obvious downgrades and I'm glad you brought it up.
The thing is I came in after seeing the state of play and knowing that the game was going to be downgraded slightly from E3, but I did not expect that low textures, robot npc animations, and PS3 lighting would plague most of the game. It's even more baffling that noone is talking about it. Only certain times of day and when you're in the forest does the game look like a PS4 game.

Chun Swae

Banned
i think the lighting fucking rules but there’s def some iffy character models and shit. I mostly reacted poorly to the weird fades to black and stiff cutscenes - especially coming off of tlou part II, which is polished and cinematically directed as fuck
The lighting definitely rules in heavily shadowed forest areas, but can you tell me what rules in that video I posted? The game is missing shadows on most characters and the character models look PS3 gen. And it's not an anomaly, if you go through this game you'll notice poor textures and flat lighting throughout most areas.

Chun Swae

Banned
Digital Foundry tech analysis showed clipping and low res textures here and there. The gameplay is solid I guess not everyone thinks graphics over everything?
Gameplay is definitely solid which is why I honestly don't care much about the graphics and can play the game happily. It's just that the bad lighting and textures isn't "here and there" its throughout the whole game and can be quite jarring at times.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Digital Foundry tech analysis showed clipping and low res textures here and there. The gameplay is solid I guess not everyone thinks graphics over everything?
The gameplay is...they made some strange choices. I love the swordplay, but they muddied the effects with cheap sword "swooshes" and iffy particle effects. I'd rather them just not have that at all and make it like the E3 demo. I don't understand why they had to change that.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X

It's disappointing to hear the graphics suffer in parts because the trailers look spectacular. At least the art direction is great and it sounds like the game is really fun which is the most important thing.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
The game looks phenomenal on my 55" 4K TV (TCL 55R617) with HDR enabled; it very much resembles the E3 presentation, in my opinion.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Thts what I'm rocking tcl 65inch 6 series. HDR looks splendid on it.
Yep; this game is a great showpiece for the TCL Series' HDR capabilities. While TLoU Remastered and TLoU II's HDR look amazing on the R617 in terms of chromatic contrast, GoT's implementation of chromatic contrast is even more impressive and is coupled with the best luminous contrast that I've ever seen. I didn't know that the R617 could look this good; the highlights are super bright.

Tiamat2san

The art direction is beautiful.
You can feel the love of classic féodal Japan .
The landscape are just poetry.
The combat is really good, the music is an absolute masterpiece.
The rest.... meh.
No physics, some terrible animation outside combat (sometimes inside but it’s more glitches)
Some model are plain terrible...
The fox....hahaha (and you need to see it 49 times if you want 100% the game)
Quests are 90% of time uninteresting.

It’s a good game nonetheless but it won’t stay long in my gaming memory.

Game has to take cuts from somewhere to get all that foliage swaying and the likes. My issue is the oversaturation of the colors. It doesn't look realistic.

I'm still getting the game and it does look like a nice, fun AC game set in Japan

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Before this game came out, I watched this movie.....
5be32644ce5373cc3f34a4bcb37b9c60.jpg

0062cd5941436180197e554513665e03.jpg

EB20001001REVIEWS0810010301AR.jpg

ran1.PNG

What you notice from the screenshot I posted above, is the way uses colors and GoT captures that same visual style very nicely. Overall art direction has more value to me than having advance graphics, Its same reason game like Bloodborne and SMTIII Nocturne looks good to this day despite of their technical shortcoming because of their fantastic art direction.

Last edited:

nowhat

Game has to take cuts from somewhere to get all that foliage swaying and the likes. My issue is the oversaturation of the colors. It doesn't look realistic.
I don't think it's supposed to look realistic. Sure, it's set in a historical time period, but it's more like fantasy Japan (you can't expect there to be such perfectly blooming trees and foliage everywhere).

Having said that, yes, there are some issues with the presentation. At the same time, I'm having fun with the game so it's not really that big of an issue.

Chun Swae

Banned
So in this thread the justifications for the abysmal npc animations and lighting because of HDR and bright colors art direction? I think they could've kept the art direction while still at least matching the lighting quality and animation that was in Infamous that came out in 2014. The lighting and world detail in the infamous video looks half a generation a part from ghost when it should be the other way around.

Last edited:

saintjules

In the first video you linked, when the lighting during the day is there in the Golden Village, it looks amazing, especially on an OLED.

Some areas don't look all that great sure, but the majority of it looks really nice and supersedes some of the faults imo.

Last edited:

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
I really like how the game looks! there are moments that just make you go wow.

I think it might be unfair to compare with TLoU as Naughty Gods polished that game so well. You can tell some sections of GoT didn't get as much attention and I think it may just be a case of not having time to make it the best it could be. Overall I don't think it changed my opinion of the game.

This should actually reinforce the fact that you can have the tools or the talent to make amazing games but it will always depend on how polished a game is as that will be what leaves a lasting impression.

Ultra Fast SSD's or super custom hardware is not going to automatically result in amazing games.

HoodWinked

that specific lighting condition i've seen alot of games fail. i think its because the tree cover so there is no global light source so it should look darker than it should but that would be visually difficult to see so they just crank up the saturation so the scene is visible. but also its probably compounded by the uploader because he also has a glitched LOTU2 video with the same over saturation.

Guilty_AI

I did notice the game didn't look as good as some E3 showcases, but i suppose people don't care since the game is solid and the art direction is still great.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
So in this thread the justifications for the abysmal npc animations and lighting because of HDR and bright colors art direction? I think they could've kept the art direction while still at least matching the lighting quality and animation that was in Infamous that came out in 2014. The lighting and world detail in the infamous video looks half a generation a part from ghost when it should be the other way around.
the scale of GoT is much bigger than Second son, and Got not only fast load times but also better draw distance, also Sucker Punch didn't have same budget or man power compare to ND and R*, game development is not magic.

Chun Swae

Banned
In the first video you linked, when the lighting during the day is there in the Golden Village, it looks amazing, especially on an OLED.

Some areas don't look all that great sure, but the majority of it looks really nice and supersedes some of the faults imo.
Yeah for sure when the sun is peaking through the temple the lighting returns back to normal. But that is only one specific time of day. I'd say that most times of day at least from what I've played really highlight just how bland the unlit areas are.

Chun Swae

Banned
the scale of GoT is much bigger than Second son, and Got not only fast load times but also better draw distance, also Sucker Punch didn't have same budget or man power compare to ND and R*, game development is not magic.
Why do people keep bringing up naughty dog and R when I never spoke about them? Draw distance does not account for stiff animations and flat lighting and textures, you're probably seeing more at one time in infamous in the busy city vs what i've seen on the screen at once in a town in ghost. I'm just curious as to why the lighting and textures look worse than their previous foray

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I've only played for like 4 hours so far, but I think it looks pretty damn incredible. Some spots can be rather plain/drab looking, but for the most part, I'm extremely impressed. I also know that the team at Sucker Punch is relatively small and they do not do crunch, which makes it even more impressive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Collin

Banned
The lighting definitely rules in heavily shadowed forest areas, but can you tell me what rules in that video I posted? The game is missing shadows on most characters and the character models look PS3 gen. And it's not an anomaly, if you go through this game you'll notice poor textures and flat lighting throughout most areas.

frankly i don’t think that clip even looks that bad really. the glitchy girl obviously adds some jank, and the lightings a bit flat but for you to imply that Ghost of Tshusimi is an overall bad looking game is kind of unfair to Sucker Punch and gaming as a whole. yes there’s occasional low res texture and some jank, and sure, TLOUII looks better (because ND has huge budgets and it’s a linear game) and RDR2 looks better also (Rockstars basically the wealthiest gaming studio on the plant). Sucker Punch is not as big of a studio as ND or Rockstar so i think what they’ve achieved despite that is actually very impressive.

GOT still fun to play (the most important thing for most people) and looks pretty consistently enough for those occasional hiccups to not really matter. i swear some of you tech dorks care more about framerate and texture fidelity than if the game is even fun or interesting lol. you kinda come off like a spoiled kid or something

Last edited:
Top Bottom