• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is no one talking about how bad Ghost Of Tsushima looks in certain areas?

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Sucker Punch was dealing with Ps4 Dev Kit way before the announcement of Ps4, so you'll excuse people concerns about this game.

The console doesn't load the entire (open world) game, it loads as you approach a certain zone, it loads the parts you're heading to.

Which is misleading, there are video's showing how they make those, it's fake from A to Z.

Each it's own preferences, there are people that like both.

For reasons above it's a shame that those practices became common in the gaming industry.

Some might say The Witcher 3 had artistic changes as well, etc...
Artistic change or downgrades both games are amazing visually and overall, that is my point

Artistic change or downgrades both games are amazing visually and overall, that is my point
And yet used different wording.
I don't mind artistic changes especially in this case since GoT is one of the most beautiful games this generation.

The Witcher 3 got a downgrade and it still ended up great. People get over it if the finished product is still awesome

GlockSaint

Npc in horizon are among the best ever in terms of graphic and they are all different, wtf are you talking about??

horizon-character-art.jpg
They're also among the most lifeless, stiffest npcs i have ever seen, they are so zombie like just because they have good texture it doesn't mean that they're amazing. I love how you only replied at this specific part of the post only. Hzd is one of my favorite games of this generation but it's okay to highlight the flaws or stuff i didn't like about it.

Rikkori

It's just the limitation of the consoles. Lighting is the most expensive and that's what's going to see the biggest downgrade, always. In an open world game you also can't employ as many tricks as you can for more linear games (eg TLOU 2).

If you play on PC it just becomes very easy to spot games with flat lighting, especially if you keep an eye out for it.

If they decide to release it on PC you'll see it be closer to the E3 build, for sure.

Then again, not every game can be RDR 2.

GymWolf

They're also among the most lifeless, stiffest npcs i have ever seen, they are so zombie like just because they have good texture it doesn't mean that they're amazing. I love how you only replied at this specific part of the post only. Hzd is one of my favorite games of this generation but it's okay to highlight the flaws or stuff i didn't like about it.
dude horizon is my gotg and i can name at least 50 flaws in that game, i didn't replyed to the other things because you were right.

but saying that the quests givers are copy paste is pure bullshit, their digital acting is shit but if there is one thing that horizon nails is the diversity is his cast, there is no generic npc in that game except for the ones that walk in cities and don't have lines or sidequest, but this is a problem shared by the 100% of other open world games.

guerrilla greatly improved the acting in the dlc so i have good hopes for the sequel.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
I finished the game and thought it looked great on my 65 inch oled. I think the villain of the game is the camera that helps ruin combat.

Redlancet

Banned
People rallied around this game. To stick it to TLoU2. So they downplay its faults. Its a fun game. Nothing special. Sometimes people want exactly that. Fun. Ill be playing it on PS5.
i assure you if this game was relased by any microsoft or nintendo studio,people will be hyping this much more,this is one of these "tripleAAA" sony games outside of ND ,so like days gone,a amazing game with a lot of stupid people doing stupid hot takes

Shmunter

That youtuber breaks it down better than I can explain here. The overall product is not what we were shown 2 years ago. It approaches the E3 Presentation but to say there's no downgrade is absolute insanity to me.
It’s legit. People were questioning the e3 footage likely being PS5. Here’s hoping that’s what we get from the inevitable PS5 patch. Plebs need to be honest with themselves and look at the comparison properly. No question the game is still impressive, but it ain’t e3 2018.

Bad Sony!

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Games today take HUGE jumps year from year, I believe the game will get better through patches and will eliminate threads like these.

As much as it may not be the prettiest game up close (was quite jarring coming from Tlou2) , it's still the beat looking open world ever imo.

The art direction, use of natural elements, colour and insane sense of of life in the world (every blade of grass,flower,tree all gentle blowing in the wind ) . Fantastically well designed and proof that visuals arent all about graphical fidelity but a well realised art direction.

Hats off to SP with this one.

(But yeah classic E3 downgrade, is that not expected at this point? I havnt expected a game to look like its original E3 demo for 14 years. Its surprising if it does look like the demo not if it doesnt lol)

Not particularly aimed at the OP, but I swear some people these days act like spoiled children. Modern day graphics should be the least of your worries. A bug or texture pop-up here and there isn't really something worth being concerned about.

What you notice from the screenshot I posted above, is the way uses colors and GoT captures that same visual style very nicely. Overall art direction has more value to me than having advance graphics, Its same reason game like Bloodborne and SMTIII Nocturne looks good to this day despite of their technical shortcoming because of their fantastic art direction.

This man knows what's up.

Last edited:
As much as it may not be the prettiest game up close (was quite jarring coming from Tlou2) , it's still the beat looking open world ever imo.
I agree with this Typo, the quality got beat down from what was showed at E3.
I know you meant to say best.
The art direction, use of natural elements, colour and insane sense of of life in the world (every blade of grass,flower,tree all gentle blowing in the wind ) . Fantastically well designed and proof that visuals arent all about graphical fidelity but a well realised art direction.
RDR2 is a good open world game as well.
Hats off to SP with this one.
They did a good job (art).
(But yeah classic E3 downgrade, is that not expected at this point? I havnt expected a game to look like its original E3 demo for 14 years. Its surprising if it does look like the demo not if it doesnt lol)
That's not what i read from people in here after seeing the trailer.

Vawn

Banned
Are people playing on Pro? That's what I'm on and have I've been mesmerize with how pretty the game is the entire time.

With so much emphasis on HDR, etc, I was curious how it looks on a base PS4.

I'm also playing in graphics mode. I don't usually do that, but this game runs very well in that mode on Pro.

Kagero

The game is beautiful, however I do agree that enemy and npc ai is very dodgy. I also agree with what people are saying about the stellar gameplay. The scores are about right for this game.

Redlancet

Banned
Not particularly aimed at the OP, but I fucking swear some people these days act like spoiled children. Modern day graphics should be the least of your worries. A bug or texture pop-up here and there isn't really something worth being concerned about.

This man knows what's up.

im with you,im gaming sice the late seventies and its amazing of entitled is people today in this aspect,games today look AMAZING

I took multiple screenshots last night that are far more impressive than what was shown at E3.

Rdr2 is a good game too ? Weird statement. If your comparing then yes u r right that rdr2 looks significantly worse than ghost, with a completely bland art direction.

Combat is also fantastic as well as the sense of place and the incredible accuracy of the fell of samurai movies.

Well allow me to enlighten you all here and now. E3 demos 9/10 will always look better than the actual game, it's called putting your best foot forward and focusing on building an incredible vertical slice to get people excited because devs know (this thread is proof) that most ppl are impressed by pretty graphics and that's all.

I took multiple screenshots last night that are far more impressive than what was shown at E3.

Rdr2 is a good game too ? Weird statement. If your comparing then yes u r right that rdr2 looks significantly worse than ghost, with a completely bland art direction.

Combat is also fantastic as well as the sense of place and the incredible accuracy of the fell of samurai movies.

Well allow me to enlighten you all here and now. E3 demos 9/10 will always look better than the actual game, it's called putting your best foot forward and focusing on building an incredible vertical slice to get people excited because devs know (this thread is proof) that most ppl are impressed by pretty graphics and that's all.
I didn't exclude ghost, just said rdr2 is a good open world game AS WELL
RDR2 is a good open world game as well.
and added.
They did a good job (art).

xiseerht

So....people don't randomly jump up and down in Japan? Learn something new everyday. All jokes aside , the game looks amazing . I am an Xbox mostly gamer and I really don't see how anyone can give this game a bad score. I have watched maybe 3 hours lets play. I guess you can pick apart any game if you try hard enough .

diffusionx

Gold Member
Are we getting to the point where we simply demand too much of these games. This game has 50 hours of content, full voice acting, tons of characters, a flexible move system, insanely complicated and varied environments with some of the best grass/trees/leaves in games... and people shit all over it based on a 5 second animation bug.

xiseerht

Are we getting to the point where we simply demand too much of these games. This game has 50 hours of content, full voice acting, tons of characters, a flexible move system, insanely complicated and varied environments with some of the best grass/trees/leaves in games... and people shit all over it based on a 5 second animation bug.
It is sad that we have gotten to this point as gamers. Hell , any game that is less than a 8.0 is called trash now a days.

Justin9mm

Are people playing on Pro? That's what I'm on and have I've been mesmerize with how pretty the game is the entire time.

With so much emphasis on HDR, etc, I was curious how it looks on a base PS4.

I'm also playing in graphics mode. I don't usually do that, but this game runs very well in that mode on Pro.
I'm playing on Pro with my Samsung 4K HDR TV and yes to the naked eye the game with its HDR looks amazing, very beautiful in a lot of areas.. But it is a little rough beneath the surface to the trained eye. Graphical fidelity, character models, lighting can be off in parts etc.

Especially coming off TLOU2, it looks a little rough around the edges. It looks like an older game with a graphics overhaul. This is expected though being open world as opposed to linear, much more to process but I still think there was a lot more room to do a better job, not just look 90% pretty.

Last edited:
"People rallied around this game. To stick it to TLoU2."

This is probably my favourite take.

Its not the top tier art direction.
Its not the immersive gameplay.
Its not the beautiful scenes.
Its not the excellent combat.
Its not the interesting setting and story.

No. People are only pretending to like the game to stick it to TLOU2.

What a load of utter bullshite.
Lads at some point you will have to accept that, not only is TLOU2 not a perfect game, it is not a game for everyone. Maybe folks don't like the characters, setting or gameplay.

Its so sad that you are so fanatical about a certain game that you believe people preferring a completly different game are just doing it to spite your game.
Stop being so emotional. We are taking about why people here are ignoring its faults. Not why people are playing this game. No one is implying the only reason people are playing this game is to stick it TLoU2. Same people constantly bashing TLoU2 were putting Ghost on a pedestal. This feeling definitely died the moment reviews came out.

Edit:
i assure you if this game was relased by any microsoft or nintendo studio,people will be hyping this much more,this is one of these "tripleAAA" sony games outside of ND ,so like days gone,a amazing game with a lot of stupid people doing stupid hot takes
I think this game is above Days Gone, maybe under Horizon. That being said, I dont disagree with you. This game would be extremely impressive coming from Microsoft, Nintendo too. Days gone was saved by the Horde mechanic. It was a good game, but it deserved the rating it got. Didnt deserve the shit talk it got though.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Stop being so emotional. We are taking about why people here are ignoring its faults. Not why people are playing this game. No one is implying the only reason people are playing this game is to stick it TLoU2. Same people constantly bashing TLoU2 were putting Ghost on a pedestal. This feeling definitely died the moment reviews came out.
Some people are somehow misreading the topic as "Reasons not to play Ghost of Tsushima". 👀

Chun Swae

Banned
Some of you seem personally hurt about me bringing up the low quality graphics in this game. And for some reason are bringing up TLOU2 when I never made that comparison in this thread. Anyways I made this thread because I definitely was having fun with the actual gameplay with this game, enough for me to overlook the mediocre lighting/textures to be found throughout the world not just in specific places.

I thought using Infamous as a comparison was ver generous considering it came out at the start of the generation and this at the end, you would expect the technical aspect of texture quality lighting and animations to improve, and not just dynamic grass and art direction. Hopefully those of you that seem personally offended that I created this thread like it was out of pure hatred for the game or something can talk rationally about its technical presentation.

pLow7

Have you ever seen that much celebrating for any non exclusive 83 metacritic game? I didn't.

Lmao so first when TLOU hit 94 "Metacritic does not matter lull, journalists are shiiiet, look up the user score, that's what matters".

Now suddenly Metacritic score matters again, am i right? And the user score doesn't?

Bartski

Gold Member
while we're at GoT critique thread, there are some insane painful choices made in how the game is designed to control, like the game preventing you to walk off elevations unless you run (making Jin often jump further than you'd like to, without the land roll upgrade this made a lot of traversal really painful) but the worst of all is this

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/226261-ghost-of-tsushima/78855815

this has been present throughout the whole game for me, seems like you can crawl out only at a very specific angle, or sideways or backwards. Infuriating at first but I kinda got used to it, but now I see it might be a glitch? Anyone else?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Some of you seem personally hurt about me bringing up the low quality graphics in this game. And for some reason are bringing up TLOU2 when I never made that comparison in this thread. Anyways I made this thread because I definitely was having fun with the actual gameplay with this game, enough for me to overlook the mediocre lighting/textures to be found throughout the world not just in specific places.

I thought using Infamous as a comparison was ver generous considering it came out at the start of the generation and this at the end, you would expect the technical aspect of texture quality lighting and animations to improve, and not just dynamic grass and art direction. Hopefully those of you that seem personally offended that I created this thread like it was out of pure hatred for the game or something can talk rationally about its technical presentation.
I can’t speak for everybody else but I honestly don’t care that this game doesn’t have flawless graphics, what it has great art direction and that to me what’s most important.

I will tell you one example: SMTIII Nocturne originally came out in 2003, 2 years after Final Fantasy X. From technical perspective Nocturne is no where near as good as FFX but my god the art direction for Nocturne is fucking masterful.

So again I don’t care, I’m sure you can nick pick how dated Bloodborne graphics are but it doesn’t change how gorgeous the game is and most important part GoT plays great and has fun open world to explore.

Last edited:
That poor kid in the background keeps falling, thankfully he moved to take her out of her loop.
Yeah let's compare an open world game to a semi "open world" game like TLOU 2.
Maybe they should have compared it to Red Dead Redemption 2?
knowing that the game was going to be downgraded slightly from E3, but I did not expect that low textures, robot npc animations
To be fair most games that are not giant budget Sony titles have comparatively very poor NPC animation. FF VII re is pretty bad at this specific thing :-/

Fbh

Honestly, yeah it doesn't look that good graphically.
Even during the direct I thought it looked a bit unimpressive considering it's what the team behind Second Son has been working on for the entire gen.

But it still looks really nice in some areas, the art direction is strong and if the gameplay is fun it's easy to forgive some rough areas in terms of visuals. Maybe they can continue to polish it up for an eventual ps5 upgrade/patch.

John Day

I just realized, people care too damn much about whatever metacritic number says. And not to get informed, but to actually argue useless shit on forums.

I thought this was shit thinking from years ago, did people not learn from past generations not to hold gaming sites reviews as holy scriptures?

“But it has XX ON METACRITIC, hurr hurrr”. Such a dumb thing to argue about. And i don’t even talk about this game, it’s all of them. Spiderman, Gears 4-5, TLoU2, this one, RDR2....

Last edited:
Top Bottom