• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is the PlayStation 5 suddenly "$399.99" when the PlayStation 3 was "$599 US Dollars"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
GloomyFlamboyantGrayling-small.gif

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
OP where did Sony touch you?

The OT is bonkers. There are no digital systems? My buddy has one. Maybe no one wants it? All the polls show it is far less popular, which is reflected in the supply and demand.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Since you refuse to answer a simple question I will provide the answer for you.

That is not a Yamaha R1, that is a Yamaha R1S. It's in the R1 family of motorcycles but it's a less feature complete bike. This comes with a cost differential, but not me or anyone else refer to it as the Yamaha R1, because it isn't..

Is the difference between the two modes something like one has dunno a SIM card slot and the other one syncs via Bluetooth to your phone as a hotspot? I suspect the difference is a bit more than that ;).

Sure, bike metaphors that do not really apply and not sure how you link PS5 DE and XSS... is PS5 DE is not a PS5 then what is XSS?

Ah, well since you do not believe it does. It exist well it is simple, it does not exist. Duh 🙄.

Again, what is the point in the OP? Apologising for besmirching the 20 GB PS3?

Reallink

I wish they'd build a modern console with an $800+ bill of materials like PS3 had. PS5 would have a 6800XT class GPU (>3080) and 24-32 GB of memory.

SkylineRKR

The disc version of the PS5 is a better deal, since you can do both anyway. I ordered the DE because I also bought an S, and it saved me 100. I only plan on buying DeS and DMCV for PS5 in the near future. And DMCV is the same price in the PSS as in retail. DeS is 5 bucks more expensive I saw. I figure its mostly EA trash thats way overpriced in the digital store but I don't buy that shit anyway. Ubi trash I never buy either. I have the PS5 mainly for exclusives, and those are usually not really more expensive than retail. Store deals are usually good too but you have to wait which is fine, because the last few years I buy a very small amount of games at launch day.

I hope Sony integrates Now with Plus, that would also save some. MS is far ahead here, if you want the same thing on Playstation you need Plus, Now and EA subs.

Dogman

This is a pretty simple question. The $500 PS3 was effectively DOA due to its storage size. Nobody wanted it so it may as well have not existed.

The PS5 DE holds great value as it doesn't remove any important capability for most gamers (70% of purchases are digital now)

Fbh

lol come on, are you holding fanboys accountable for their opinion about the pricing of a gaming console....from 14 years ago?.

Yes man, I said some dumb shit when I was 15. wow, you got me, shame on me!!!.

Anyway, I'd say the 20gb PS3 isn't quite comparable with the digital Ps5. For starters as far as I know the 20gb only launched in the US and didn't release in Europe, Australia and other regions (hint: not everyone on GAF is American). I'd also argue that the lack of WiFi support in a gen that was all about consoles getting more robust online featured was a bigger missing feature than a disc drive.

lol come on, are you holding fanboys accountable for their opinion about the pricing of a gaming console....from 14 years ago?.

Yes man, I said some dumb shit when I was 15. wow, you got me, shame on me!!!.

Anyway, I'd say the 20gb PS3 isn't quite comparable with the digital Ps5. For starters as far as I know the 20gb only launched in the US and didn't release in Europe, Australia and other regions (hint: not everyone on GAF is American). I'd also argue that the lack of WiFi support in a gen that was all about consoles getting more robust online featured was a bigger missing feature than a disc drive.
Do you think that accountability will somehow end. I'm going to hold you accountable for this as well.

Keihart

OP you read desperate, i hope you aren't. But i'm just mentioning it in case that you lack some self awareness.
I'm no saying that you are wrong, just pointing out that making a thread about this it's a really try hard way of spinning things which are of no real value...unless you are doing free lance PR work for a company that is.

Anyway, keep on, keeping on!

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
What exactly are you trying to prove by claiming PS5 DE is not PS5?

If he had said Digital Only future without the possibility to trade licenses and fully eroding what was left of first sale doctrine sucks snd we should try to vote it off with our dollars... I would agree. I try not to purchase digital only consoles when there is a choice.

Then again there would be hate threads against the XSS being a bad concept and the Xbox One S All Digital edition as well as GamePass and I could see it as a consistent point of view.

Right now it is jumping from point to point with a touch of “they are taking away your rights” shouts that feel disingenuous to be honest.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I see the Series X, the PlayStation 5 Digital Edition and the PlayStation 5.

Was this supposed to lead to something?

How can you see something that does not exist and that people cannot buy?

Is the latter a PS5 with a Blu-Ray add-on? Have you seen the teardown? Does this not seem like a PS5 with a mod tacked on?

ZywyPL

Banned
Cell, Emotion Engine, RSX, XDR RAM, BR drive, each of those costed around 100 bucks, if not more, the launch PS3 models are estimated to cost ~840$ to build. This time around, there's nothing fancy, maybe except of the use of liquid metal, but generally, this and previous gen consoles are as simple as it only can get.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
The DE is a PS5, it is not the PS5.

Pretty simple to understand, so when people say the PS5 is $400, they are being disingenuous.
Let's all go sue Sony for false advertising. When I buy a game labeled PS5 from the psn store on my illegitimate ps5 digital edition. It will play on my system.

What is it exactly If it's not a ps5?

I would contact Sony and tell them to stop lying to us because we aren't buying digital ps5 games on the ps store. We must be buying inferior games.

Let's all go sue Sony for false advertising. When I buy a game labeled PS5 from the psn store on my illegitimate ps5 digital edition. It will play on my system.

What is it exactly If it's not a ps5?

I would contact Sony and tell them to stop lying to us because we aren't buying digital ps5 games on the ps store. We must be buying inferior games.
No one is lying, it's the disingenuous nature of the community trying to conflate the Digital Edition as THE PlayStation 5 so they can say the PlayStation 5 costs $400 when it doesn't.

It's really as simple as that.

Unknown?

The $499 PS3 wasn't just a lower sized HDD, it was missing basic things like wifi and such. $299 360 was a joke without a HDD. Digital PS5 is simply just a PS5 meant for digital, it doesn't have a downgraded wifi chip, it doesn't lack any feature the regular PS5 has.

The $499 PS3 wasn't just a lower sized HDD, it was missing basic things like wifi and such. $299 360 was a joke without a HDD. Digital PS5 is simply just a PS5 meant for digital, it doesn't have a downgraded wifi chip, it doesn't lack any feature the regular PS5 has.
"Let me explain to you how this system is missing a core feature of the PlayStation 5, and then proceed to at the end contradict myself and say it doesn't lack any feature the PlayStation 5 has"

fXWOMsu.jpg

Unknown?

"Let me explain to you how this system is missing a core feature of the PlayStation 5, and then proceed to at the end contradict myself and say it doesn't lack any feature the PlayStation 5 has"

fXWOMsu.jpg
Well that's the reason. Don't like it? Take it up with everyone going digital.

Mod of War Mod of War can we lock the thread and ban this guy? He's being purposefully obtuse and starting shit for no reason.
This forum has an amazing feature called ignore, there's also a real life counterpart to this called self control. You don't have to like everything you read, or anything other people want to talk about. You can choose to not read or interact with this topic. Reacting this way though is ridiculous, petty and childish. This is all in good fun for the sake of logical coherency, and accountability for things said, done and perpetuated in the past and how they allign with things today.

Take a chill pill.

Last edited:

Dogman

This forum has an amazing feature called ignore, there's also a real life counterpart to this called self control. You don't have to like everything you read, or anything other people want to talk about. You can choose to not read or interact with this topic. Reacting this way though is ridiculous, petty and childish. This is all in good fun for the sake of logical coherency, and accountability for things said, done and perpetuated in the past and how they allign with things today.

Take a chill pill.
How ironic. The only thing that's childish is making an entire thread trying to call a PS5 not a PS5 all because YOU don't like how other people are talking about it. You should really follow your own advice and hit that ignore button

How ironic. The only thing that's childish is making an entire thread trying to call a PS5 not a PS5 all because YOU don't like how other people are talking about it. You should really follow your own advice and hit that ignore button
This is meant to be dumb, because the entire premise of the way people behave is in fact dumb. Views change like the shifting of the wind looking for a way to one up something else at the sacrifice of logical consistency.

Also why would I ignore you? I didn't even know you existed before this previous post you made. You don't like what is being said so the move on your part is to ignore me, not the other way around.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
I'm seeing this divergence in logic quite a bit in the fanboy fodder around here seeking to have an edge against the Series X and its $499.99 price point, which is only feature matched by the equal in cost PlayStation 5 itself.

There was a $499.99 PS3 at the time in 2006, that was always a thing and yet the focus was $599.99 and nothing else. The most anachronous bit of logic in the situation is that neither the $499/$599 PS3's were a paper launch, whereas for the PS5 the DE version is absolutely a paper launch and a gross minority of the console stock. It appears the system only exists to get that price out there and fuel price wars rather than have actual available stock that people can purchase.

I don't remember anyone in 2005 saying the Xbox 360 was $299.99 because that's what the 360 Core cost, on the contrary it was $399.99 because that was the actual feature complete Xbox 360 cost.

The shifting perspective for any kind of gain in ground is quite hilarious, we see you.

My man, seems you are letting Sony live in there rent free and taking up most of your brain space.

If the Series X was so great, why aren't you busy playing or talking about its games rather than trolling Sony fans? :)

Thirty7ven

Banned
OP always manages to make a bigger fool of himself. The sky is the limit for him.

360 core didn’t have a fucking hard drive mate. Some games wouldnt work without it and you couldn’t even save your progress.

If you don’t get the difference, well, shiiiiiiiiiit

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
No one is lying, it's the disingenuous nature of the community trying to conflate the Digital Edition as THE PlayStation 5 so they can say the PlayStation 5 costs $400 when it doesn't.

It's really as simple as that.

You sound bitter that some people might be “falling” for PS5 as $399 but they are not faking for Xbox at $299 with the Xbox at $499 and the XSS at $299.

Being digital only is not the biggest problem for the XSS although yeah it might not be helping a great deal either. For better or for worse PS5 DE is being largely seen as THE PS5 and PS5 with the Blu-Ray drive is seen as the PS5 with a drive add-on, but the XSS is not seen as the next generation Xbox with the XSX as an XSS with an optical disc drive.

My man, seems you are letting Sony live in there rent free and taking up most of your brain space.

If the Series X was so great, why aren't you busy playing or talking about its games rather than trolling Sony fans? :)
Because I have basically an infinite amount of things I could be doing and for this period of time I am choosing to do this. Half of the fun of a console generation is posting on a forum, playing is another component to the overall experience.

To the same degree I could be asking, why is no one else in this thread playing their PlayStation 5's and Series consoles? It's not a very good attempt at wit my guy.

Last edited:
You sound bitter that some people might be “falling” for PS5 as $399 but they are not faking for Xbox at $299 with the Xbox at $499 and the XSS at $299.

Being digital only is not the biggest problem for the XSS although yeah it might not be helping a great deal either. For better or for worse PS5 DE is being largely seen as THE PS5 and PS5 with the Blu-Ray drive is seen as the PS5 with a drive add-on, but the XSS is not seen as the next generation Xbox with the XSX as an XSS with an optical disc drive.

Why are you trying to explain the obvious to a troll that clearly doesn't want to listen??

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom