• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is there still no mouse with vibration/force feedback?

Thrakier

I mean seriously? It's like 2006 all over again.

62038-bild.jpg

Sorry, but it's last gen!

I really do think that rumble adds a lot to the overall gameplay, especially when you fire guns. OK, when you don't have it you may not miss much but the moment you play with rumble it's always like "aaah...there you go.". So much better, more immersive. You feel more connected to the game. Especially in PC shooters it could add a lot because there it's almost "too easy" to aim and a little bit of force feedback would force you to work a bit more for your kills.

Salsa

cause it would fuck with your aiming?

Especially in PC shooters it could add a lot because there it's almost "too easy" to aim and a little bit of force feedback would force you to work a bit more for your kills.

that would only bring frustration and it'd be infuriating

Nome

High-end mice are all marketed towards multiplayer gamers and giving them an advantage. A single-player focused peripheral is a hard sell.

Thrakier

cause it would fuck with your aiming?

Depends on the implementation, but that's what it should do I guess. Like force feedback on a wheel fucks with your driving.

And yes, analaogue movement has to come to the pc as a standard input as well.

that would only bring frustration and it'd be infuriating

No, it would be immersive. I don't give a shit for teh CS kiddiez.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Depends on the implementation, but that's what it should do I guess. Like force feedback on a wheel fucks with your driving.

=/

These ideas... need to be extinguished. Especially that last sentence.

Salsa

No, it would be immersive. I don't give a shit for teh CS kiddiez.

Handicapping control in order to "make you fuck up" would be frustrating as fuck. There are other ways to be immersive instead of physically hampering your ability to play the game.

Its like saying tripping in Brawl is immersive.

edit: not a "CS kiddie" btw

Thrakier

PC guys I guess... o_O You are just used what you are used too. Coming from a console (though I was a pc gamer in my early years and then again) I'm totally missing those features.

Thrakier

Handicapping control in order to "make you fuck up" would be frustrating as fuck. There are other ways to be immersive instead of physically hampering your ability to play the game.

It's not there to fuck your aiming up, it's there to make firing a weapon more believable and to make you feel it. If it happens to fuck your aiming a bit, so be it. Don't make it sound like it would be a feature that's only there to hamper your aiming. You wouldn't say the same about force feedback in a steering wheel.

Salsa

It's not there to fuck your aiming up, it's there to make firing a weapon more believable and to make you feel it. If it happens to fuck your aiming a bit, so be it. Don't make it sound like it would be a feature that's only there to hamper your aiming. You wouldn't say the same about force feedback in a steering wheel.

no because the sensibility isnt even remotely similar

i know what you're trying to say and i get it, but as it is there's no proper way of implementing it.

Im not sure if those peripherals that allow for analogue movement with the left hand (like a nunchuk) allow for force feedback, but in that hand it would work.

Wouldn't it be awesome if your guy could just randomly fall over dead without indication? Like he's walking along, seemingly fine, and then some undetected heart condition induces cardiac arrest and he just carks it right then and there. Wouldn't that be immersive?

Maybe force feedback keyboards could be implemented to simulate the tingling sensation in the left side just before he succumbs.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
PC guys I guess... o_O You are just used what you are used too. Coming from a console (though I was a pc gamer in my early years and then again) I'm totally missing those features.

It's fucking stupid. it wouldn't work in any online shooter because people with normal mice would have a serious advantage over your "rumbling" mouse. Try hitting a guy in tribes while he is skiing 200km/h, a target as small as a dot on your screen, with a rumbling mouse.

PC is about total control. Always. No rumble, no force feedback, simple buttons that do what I tell them.

FF is nice in racing games, but if you are serious about them you'll get a wheel, so why would you need a FF keyboard or mouse?

JADS

Hey it is 2000 all over again

ifeels4405ok1j.jpg

Logitech iFeel. IIRC Black and White 1 had a special quest you could only access by using a force feedback mouse.

PaulLFC

I don't understand this at all. We have 360 controllers where the wired ones work as standard on PC, and plenty of ways to use other controllers with analog movement. What's wrong with that situation?

Salsa

lol@rumble being immersive.

It's a nice feature when available but yeah, i wouldnt call it immersive, specially what OP wants to do with it.

The idea of something physical getting in the way of your aiming sounds like the exact opposite of what i interpret to be immersive.

The whole idea of immersion is basically to forget there's a controller in your hands and having the most direct input with the game as possible, idk how i could get to that point with the mouse vibrating and fucking up my game in the middle of the way.

Thrakier

no because the sensibility isnt even remotely similar

i know what you're trying to say and i get it, but as it is there's no proper way of implementing it.

Im not sure if those peripherals that allow for analogue movement with the left hand (like a nunchuk) allow for force feedback, but in that hand it would work.

There's no proper way until someone does it. Besides, there is a lot more you could simulate using force feedback then just firing a gun. I guess I'm just a bit more open minded when it comes to control improvements. Just saying, so much changed in the past, don't know, 20 to 25 years of pc gaming, but we are still using the exact same input methods with very little change. I'd love to see at least someone experimenting with new possibilites, force feedback being one of them.

Thrakier

I don't understand this at all. We have 360 controllers where the wired ones work as standard on PC, and plenty of ways to use other controllers with analog movement. What's wrong with that situation?

Nothing is wrong with that. I'm talking about how to improve the "standard" input.

Salsa

There's no proper way until someone does it. Besides, there is a lot more you could simulate using force feedback then just firing a gun. I guess I'm just a bit more open minded when it comes to control improvements. Just saying, so much changed in the past, don't know, 20 to 25 years of pc gaming, but we are still using the exact same input methods with very little change. I'd love to see at least someone experimenting with new possibilites, force feedback being one of them.

no, im as open minded in that regard as you could be, i just dont like things that dont work. They tried it already and it didnt stick, as someone mentioned earlier.

There's been a ton of interesting new ways of input for the pc man, you just gotta look it up. Razer has been doing all kinds of crazy shit for years including their new motion control thingie.

Nothing is wrong with that. I'm talking about how to improve the "standard" input.

what would improve? why fix what aint broken? it would be a different input method, not the natural evolution. Even if it existed and it would be succesful i assure you there would be a ton of people who would hate it since the sensibilities with a mouse are as different as it gets to a controller. It cant evolve in that same manner.

Valve is currently doing test with their mouse that captures the grip and heat in your hand and whatever and changes gameplay according to what it recognizes. That's a much more interesting way of moving forward.

Jharp

Have you ever laid a controller down on your desk while watching a cutscene in a game and heard what it sounds like when it rumbles against a hard flat surface?

Yeah, no thanks.

Thrakier

I'm seriously thinking about buying a noving falcon right now, it looks too cool. Just so pricey and I'd need to import it... :/

iirate

I can't even leave my cell on my desk anymore, because the vibrations from it going off completely fuck with my mouse in terrible ways. As much as I like the idea, I have a feeling that it would end up being more frustrating than immersive. Also, it could never work for multiplayer, because they'd never make a game that requires this mouse, and everyone that doesn't have a rumble mouse would have a huge advantage.

Social

please remove rumble from all controllers and give us a lighter controller...

I do not care for rumble much... it has barely been used in a clever gameplay way this gen.

FyreWulff

I remember the problem being the noise, like when you leave a 360 controller on a desk and something sets it off and it's all BRAAAPPAPAPAPAPPA

Thrakier

Does anyone have any experience with a falcon? 250$ surely is a ton of money for something that works only with some selected games... :/ But it looks so great, it's like the thing that I searched for.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Hey it is 2000 all over again

ifeels4405ok1j.jpg

Logitech iFeel. IIRC Black and White 1 had a special quest you could only access by using a force feedback mouse.

I own one of those. I have always thought it would be EXCELLENT for the wiimote. Imagine playing the harp in Skyward Sword and being able to feel each pluck of the cords, for example.

PaulLFC

Now I understand even less what your point is... so you don't want to use a controller that can just plug into the PC, you want to put an analog stick or some sort of analog control on every mouse in the future? If so, that just isn't going to happen.

I don't see how it can be done without significantly changing the feel of the mouse, and the mouse is such a standard now after being used for years and years that a fancy new mouse with some form of analog control won't come in and convince everyone to upgrade.

It's like gaming mice. I have one, plenty of people do, but some of the extra functions they have, like extra buttons and profiles, a lot of PC users would never need. Same with analog control, plenty wouldn't see a need for it so it would never be standard. I don't see the problem in just using one of the controllers that work with PC.

Metal-Geo

Having only one of your hands rumble would be very, very distracting if you ask me.

And yeah, the sound of your desk rumbling into bits. Like your cell phone going off on your nightstand. No thanks. :p

Abylim

This sounds similar to my suggestion for more realism in WoW.
I wanted range attacks from a hunter to have a chance to hit raid members when missing.

For instance, Aimed Shot misses the boss, oops hits the tank, or healer. something close to the boss. Everyone laughed at me then! Look at me now! Mwahahaha... wait

Corto

Yes. I have my Xbox 360 wired controller on top of my desk and some games (Crysis 2 if I remember correctly) even if I'm playing with mouse have the force feedback enabled as default. Pretty non immersive sound reverberating on the desk. That's the beauty of the PC If you do want haptic control in the PC just connect a controller with that option. Plug and play.

sca2511

Pretty much what he's saying. I've played CS a ton, but that doesn't even matter, this would be a mess in any fine precision type of PC game. I'd be really frustrated.

Valnen

Why do people actually like force feedback? There is nothing force feedback does that a well designed UI can't do better. The stupid rumble doesn't add any intensity or fun to games at all.

The only gameplay thing I've seen it used for is hunting for secrets, and that could be better handled with something on the screen.

1-D_FTW

Why do people actually like force feedback? There is nothing force feedback does that a well designed UI can't do better. The stupid rumble doesn't add any intensity or fun to games at all.

The only gameplay thing I've seen it used for is hunting for secrets, and that could be better handled with something on the screen.

There's a difference between force feedback and rumble. Force feedback wheels and flight sticks do add appreciably to the experience. A mouse that rumbles does not. And it's the reason it died a decade ago and never took off.

Top Bottom