• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is there still no mouse with vibration/force feedback?

chiablo

I don't as those buttons are simply not necessary for most games.

Besides, something like this offers plenty of buttons AND an analog stick.

17680.png

If we could get a perfected version of this I would be thrilled.

I have the G13, it's a good gaming device, but it gets quite uncomfortable to use after a while because of the placement of your thumb. It did make WoW a joy to play, and I'm looking forward to breaking it out of storage for Guild Wars 2.

Orayn

I don't as those buttons are simply not necessary for most games.

Besides, something like this offers plenty of buttons AND an analog stick.

17680.png

If we could get a perfected version of this I would be thrilled.

With mechanical keys, no unnecessary screen, and a really nice analog stick!

I think if the analog stick was horizontal instead of vertical it would be more comfortable. The issue then would be to counteract the force your thumb would be exerting horizontally to prevent it from sliding.

butts

Put your cell phone on your desk, hold your hand on top of it, then have someone call it. Shitty right? The noise is amplified a ton, it would be really stupid to put in a mouse.

The only time I remember rumble is still a thing is when I put a controller on my desk during a shitty cutscene and it kicks on and sounds like a jackhammer.

larvi

please remove rumble from all controllers and give us a lighter controller...

I do not care for rumble much... it has barely been used in a clever gameplay way this gen.

In addition to the weight it's also drains the batteries a lot quicker. It would be nice to have an option to buy a controller without it as there a quite a few games out there that have no option to turn it off.

Haunted

As mentioned before, there is (or rather, has been). If you can think of it, there's a good chance someone in PC gaming or modding has already done it.

That said, the Novint Falcon is the most badass peripheral I've ever seen. That is some cyberspace looking shit right there.

Orayn

I think if the analog stick was horizontal instead of vertical it would be more comfortable. The issue then would be to counteract the force your thumb would be exerting horizontally to prevent it from sliding.

Ideally, you'd be able to adjust it. I could see myself using one around 30 degrees from the vertical.

abasm

A rumbling mouse would compromise input--it would be as if the rumble motor in your controller caused your analog sticks to drift. A rumbling keyboard...well, it might work, but considering how loose key caps are compared to buttons, it would probably make a lot of noise...not to mention the fact that the vibrations would also transfer to the mouse.

Really, the only feasible solution would be an external vibrator--like the "trance" vibrator in Rez/Child of Eden. Hell, you could probably rig this up by taping a 360 controller to the underside of your seat.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
If you have PC, try this thing. That's what real force feedback should be like. Playing Portal with it is really great.

Novint_rendering_full3.jpg

Orayn

I'd love a force feedback mouse, more so for normal use than for gaming. Make me feel the OK button.

It'd be interesting to get some sort of haptic feedback that isn't just straight rumble. I wonder technology that uses conduction through your fingertips to simulate texture will mature..?

Because force feedback is an idiotic feature.

You must be a big subscriber to a Kinect controller-less paradigm, driving with your hands holding empty air, etc. then.

Yep. Using any sort of hardware button, slider, dial, knob, etc. is a form of feedback. There are just good and bad ways of implementing it. Most agree that rumble would be a poor addition to a mouse due to its reliance on being held relatively steady with the whole hand.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Especially in PC shooters it could add a lot because there it's almost "too easy" to aim and a little bit of force feedback would force you to work a bit more for your kills.
I don't think it's necessary. Making the mouse rumble to throw off your aim sounds like a different version of covering the screen in blood/making the screen shake like crazy to throw off your aim. There is some argument for them in certain situations (if you get hit, of course you're going to move/stumble instead of staying perfectly steady), but it's annoying as hell if it was added needlessly.

There are already established ways of making you work to aim properly in games such as recoil, sniper barrel waving and anticipation of projectile trajectories. The reason why it feels so easy these days is because there are now many game mechanics that try to make aiming easier, such as:
  • hitscan weapons
  • the abundance of cover to plan out your shots
  • the occasional ability to aim properly from behind cover before you pop out
  • slow or stationary enemies that just pop up from cover in the same places over and over again
The mouse itself is not "too easy" as an aiming device.

To actually add to the immersion, rumble would have to be so strong that your batteries would run out in like 15 minutes if you were using a wireless device. Also, it would require so much practice to actually control the device you're using, that most games wouldn't be as fun. I don't mind rumble, but I wouldn't say it really makes me feel closer to the game

jwhit28

Why haven't controllers gotten actual force feedback instead of just vibration. I want analogue sticks that resist.

I had an ifeel Logitech mouse with forcefeedback. I enjoyed it. It simulated textures in black and white and rumbles in fps games.

The texture simulation was neat.

It didn't hurt precision in anything.

I always find it weird when people actively dislike rumble. When it's used right it can add so much more to a game and I think I've only played maybe two games ever that used it "wrong".

That said, I don't know how you would implement it in a mouse without making it annoyingly loud against the control surface. Maybe if you just made it more subtle.

EDIT: I also don't see why it couldn't be implemented without messing with precision. There are a bunch of different levels of force feedback.

Tenck

I like how we've praised the PC for tight and accurate controls, and OP just says 'fuck it if it messes up your aim a bit.'

Any other 'bright' ideas you'd like to share?

And analogue movement for PC? We have Xbox360 controls for that already.

Thrakier

[/LIST]
The mouse itself is not "too easy" as an aiming device.

Compared to the real thing? Sure, it is. Not even a solider on Speed AND Steroids could wave around weapons like you do in your average *realsitic* shooter (arcade settings NOT included). So yeah. The same is true for controllers, though.

Novint Falcon looks like it's able to reproduce a much more realistic feeling. Obviously that's much better than your standard rumble, which only would be a small step in the right direction.

But as I read this thread, I kinda get while no one is innovating the pc game controls, despite they are around for . There is just no audience for it, no interest in better (read: more immersive/real, add sense for touch, FF etc.) control input methods. People just want to stick to what they are used to for decades now. That's understandable, I guess.

I'm really looking forward to what console manufcatures try next. Nintendo brought some movement to the whole thing which is nice, even though I don't like the Wii. I hope the future isn't the kinect bullshit because that's kinda the opposite I'm looking for (but there's the possibility to use kinect tech in a different, better way obviously). We'll see.

Tenck

Compared to the real thing? Sure, it is. Not even a solider on Speed AND Steroids could wave around weapons like you do in your average *realsitic* shooter (arcade settings NOT included). So yeah. The same is true for controllers, though.

We're talking about video games, not real life. No point in comparing both when they'll never be close to comparison.

KKRT00

I really do think that rumble adds a lot to the overall gameplay, especially when you fire guns. OK, when you don't have it you may not miss much but the moment you play with rumble it's always like "aaah...there you go.". So much better, more immersive. You feel more connected to the game. Especially in PC shooters it could add a lot because there it's almost "too easy" to aim and a little bit of force feedback would force you to work a bit more for your kills.

I turn rumble off on everything i play. I think its stupid gimmick that doesnt add anything to feeling and can mess up reaction time or aiming.

BTW I dont even like vibration function in phones :)

Orayn

Is it bad that I actually want this?

Depends on how it's implemented, really. Barely-analog membrane buttons like the DualShock 2 would suck, but a linear, mechanical pressure sensor that felt like a Cherry MX Red keyswitch? I'd try it.

Top Bottom