• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Youtube auto resolution so broken?

I have a 200 mbps down connection at home, and my phone LTE connection is around 25mpbs, but on my laptop, desktop, iPad, and my phone, Youtube never maxes out the resolution to match the display resolution. Speedtest on all devices hit the max of what my connection is capable of. The only apps that seem to work properly are on my 65KS8000 and my PS4(occasionally, usually doesn't kick in until about 10 seconds later on PS4), which is funny since these apps don't even let you pick the resolution. They just figure it out. Every time I have to click on the option to select the max resolution. My Galaxy S8 is also weird because there are times when it won't even let me select 1440p, 1080p is the max, but then it randomly offers me the option on the same video a day later.

HoodWinked

on the galaxy the max resolution is tied to the display scaling. in settings > display > screen resolution if thats set to 1080 then it will only give you 1080 max.

maybe when you go to low battery its engaging the lower resolution display setting.

youtube likely favors 1080 just to save on bandwidth and costs. it seems like it learns your preference as well. whenever i manually set the resolution the next video i watch will also be in that resolution until i change it.

also another thing is maybe your wifi signal has more interference during certain times which could be affecting throughput as well.

on the galaxy the max resolution is tied to the display scaling. in settings > display > screen resolution if thats set to 1080 then it will only give you 1080 max.

maybe when you go to low battery its engaging the lower resolution display setting.

youtube likely favors 1080 just to save on bandwidth and costs. it seems like it learns your preference as well. whenever i manually set the resolution the next video i watch will also be in that resolution until i change it.

also another thing is maybe your wifi signal has more interference during certain times which could be affecting throughput as well.

Do you have an S8? I can't seem to get HDR on Youtube and thought they added that feature.

symphony

Neo Member
Agreed. I get the same problem on desktop too. It will say Auto and it will even say the resolution (1080p) but the video is still grainy. If I go into the resolutions and manually select 1080p then the video quality updates and it plays properly.

I get a feeling it has to do with the buffering/adaptive quality algorithm, but it's just not right for whatever reason.

I'm going to check out some chrome extensions to always force a specific resolution. I've had some success with them in the past, I just hate having chrome clutter up with extension after extension.

Maybe there's a setting on youtube to remember your resolution?

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Yeah, this drives me crazy. My internet can play any video on my iphone at 1080p in full without any stuttering or buffering and yet the videos always default to 480 or 720 and I have to manually change every video I watch. I hate it.

Does anyone know if you sign up for Youtube Red, do they let you set a default resolution?

Zero ads, background play, resolution selector, black theme, you're welcome.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/apps-games/app-iytbp-injected-youtube-background-t3560900

Thanks. I'll look into this although I worry about security of third party Android apps.

Does anyone know if you sign up for Youtube Red, do they let you set a default resolution?

It doesn't. I almost wonder if Youtube Red is part of the reason I have problems because I assume when you send the video to the background, which I do often since I use it like a podcast, it must lower the resolution which might cause it to remember the lower resolution for future videos.

you tried the rootless version?

I installed this on my Sony Z5 Premium. Despite setting the custom max resolution to 2160p, when I play "4k" YouTube videos I'm getting a max resolution of 1440p. Whilst this is better, I was hoping this would finally take advantage of the 4k screen on this phone (seeing as virtually nothing else does).

Anyone know why this is happening? I realise my phone is nearly 2 years old now but it can play and display 4k video but it's a hell of a mission to get it to do it unless it's just the bits I've recorded with the built-in camera.

*Edit: Just realised I'm no longer a Junior :)

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
It doesn't. I almost wonder if Youtube Red is part of the reason I have problems because I assume when you send the video to the background, which I do often since I use it like a podcast, it must lower the resolution which might cause it to remember the lower resolution for future videos.
Ok, thanks. So no matter if you have a paid subscription or not, Youtube always defaults to a lower resolution than your device is capable of. This is crap.

Sinfamy

I installed this on my Sony Z5 Premium. Despite setting the custom max resolution to 2160p, when I play "4k" YouTube videos I'm getting a max resolution of 1440p. Whilst this is better, I was hoping this would finally take advantage of the 4k screen on this phone (seeing as virtually nothing else does).

Anyone know why this is happening? I realise my phone is nearly 2 years old now but it can play and display 4k video but it's a hell of a mission to get it to do it unless it's just the bits I've recorded with the built-in camera.

*Edit: Just realised I'm no longer a Junior :)
I think the 4K option is DRM locked to only specified apps, you might need root to unlock, don't know for sure. I know Netflix is DRM locked to only 720x480 on some devices unless you download the patched APK.

Top Bottom