• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why isn't there a sequel to Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle sequel yet and what would you like in one?

mcjmetroid

If I had to make a bold prediction this year I would think a sequel could be coming for this game.
As we all know it's an amazing game having just nearly finished the DLC (The final few ultimate missions are killing me but still) I am hungry for more.

The original game was released back in 2017 and as far as I'm aware sold very well.
With the Switch on fire at the moment and a relative drought period for software this year compared to the others NOW is the time to release a beefed up sequel.

Ubisoft as well are the masters of yearly sequels in general so I was actually originally expecting one at least 2 years after the game. However nearly 3 years later and nothing.

What gives? It cannot be THAT expensive to produce one of these games.

Anyway what I'd like to see in a sequel
Far larger emphaises in a multiplayer versus mode. They added this DLC for free a good time after the game was released and honestly it's some of the best multiplayer fun on the Switch. Don't sleep on it if you haven't played it it's fantastic but albeit rather limited with only 4 stages. I was kinda hoping the Donkey Kong DLC would add more stages but no.

The ability to zoom out in battle. The Tacticam works as a solution but it's not perfect, some of the later DLC ultimate missions have MASSIVE stages and makes it very difficult to see what's going on.

They may not do it but an online mode would be nice with coop and versus stages regularly updated.

More imaginative characters. I wasn't exactly a big fan of rabbid this and rabbid that. Create new rabbid characters that aren't existing mario characters. You could even do a Rabbid Waluigi for the lols. Rabbid Kong was a step in the right direction.

The single player mode needs a revamp. Everything bar the battles and bonus stages is horrible, I didn't like it at all, all those box puzzles and flat terrain gliding. Surely they can come up with something better here? I just walked from one battle to the next fuck the "3d artwork" that you win by doing puzzles.

Mod help: I made a shit out of the thread title can a mod fix this?

Last edited:

PocoJoe

Banned
I would like sequel, still one of the best switch games.

And I would like that it would be more difficult, first one were too easy. But still better than any modern mario game from nintendo

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Ubisoft Milan. They had to work on the DLC for the game, they also help out on other Ubisoft games and are a significant developer on the Just Dance series. That’s probably what’s delaying a sequel.

I have no doubt it’ll come.

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
Mario + Rabbids was by far the most polished game that came out from Ubisoft Milan, if they are working on a sequel (which i bet they are) they want to meet the standards of the first game and perhaps even improve it, so it can't just be rushed.

Also the first game is still selling, it was the most downloaded game last month in Europe

I'm totally expecting it to be revealed at E3 this year or the next one.

Last edited by a moderator:

mcjmetroid

Mario + Rabbids was by far the most polished game that came out from Ubisoft Milan, if they are working on a sequel (which i bet they are) they want to meet the standards of the first game and perhaps even improve it, so it can't just be rushed.

Also the first game is still selling, it was the most downloaded game last month in Europe

I'm totally expecting it to be revealed at E3 this year or the next one.
Here's hoping it's a long time coming

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I could see it being the cold open to an upcoming direct, with playable booths at E3 and a fall/winter release. Would buy, really enjoyed the first.

DonF

Surprisingly entertaining game. Considering Ubi, I would've bet that by now we would be on part 3, climbing towers to reveal the map of the mushroom kingdom.

Zephir

My opinion....the game was never conceived with a sequel in mind (didn't finish it yet, so i don't know if it ends in a cliffhanger, but pretty much every game ends with one nowadays) and his success was a surprise for everybody, main Ubisoft guys included.

If a sequel is in the works, it means they're starting to work on it after the original game shipped, that's why it's taking so long.....plus, this being the only 100% accurate thing, Ubisoft Milan is not as big as Ubisoft Montreal and all the other ones, so the development process is going to be slower because there are less people involved.

Plus, I believe EVERYTHING they would do, requires Nintendo approval and this might take a lot.

This is my opinion, but it may be totally wrong

dorkimoe

I would take another, but i would want it to be completely overhauled. I have no specifics and I have no problems with the first one, but i dont like just sequels with everything the same. I will know what I want when I see it haha

iconmaster

Banned
The original game was released back in 2017 and as far as I'm aware sold very well.

It sold over two million in its first year. Wouldn't be shocked if it's closer to three million by now.

My opinion....the game was never conceived with a sequel in mind (didn't finish it yet, so i don't know if it ends in a cliffhanger

The only cliffhanger that matters is the question of how much money Ubisoft could make by producing a sequel.

diffusionx

Gold Member
My opinion....the game was never conceived with a sequel in mind (didn't finish it yet, so i don't know if it ends in a cliffhanger, but pretty much every game ends with one nowadays) and his success was a surprise for everybody, main Ubisoft guys included.

If a sequel is in the works, it means they're starting to work on it after the original game shipped, that's why it's taking so long.....plus, this being the only 100% accurate thing, Ubisoft Milan is not as big as Ubisoft Montreal and all the other ones, so the development process is going to be slower because there are less people involved.

Plus, I believe EVERYTHING they would do, requires Nintendo approval and this might take a lot.

This is my opinion, but it may be totally wrong

I don't think the story in Mario vs. Rabbids is what would keep them from making a sequel. And I remember reading interviews that said Nintendo was relatively hands-off on development once the pitch was approved and things were set up... so I doubt that is a problem either.

The game's primary developer was Ubi Milan, and judging by their tweets, they helped work on Breakpoint. That game was a total shitshow and Ubi is scrambling to fix it, and that is probably where their focus is at the moment.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Great turn based strategy RPG with some light exploration. Really enjoyed the base game and the DKC DLC. Would love a sequel. Kingdom Battle is also the game that got me into the genre.

Top Bottom