• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why it's ok to dislike black people women, gays etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gargus

Banned
I say this from the point of view as a fairly average white guy that wish harm to anyone really, want to deprive anyone of their rights for any reason, treat anyone as less than human, or wish anything negative on anyone.

But yes, disliking black people, white people, men, women, Mexicans, gays, etc is perfectly fine and quite normal. Accepting this fact is the only way to move past 2 of our societies biggest problems. Racism and political correctness.

You can't like over 7 billion people, it's impossible, you're going to dislike the majority of them. Just like you dislike some people you work with. It isn't racist, it's just the fact were not all the same. Hating someone, wanting them to come to harm, depriving them of their rights, etc based purely on things beyond their control now that's racism. But not wanting to be around someone, not wanting to associate with them, finding them irritating for who they are as a person is normal. We all have disliked a lot of people.

For instance I watched Kings of comedy on TV today. I laughed some but I found the typical black comedian style of humor from that time period to be obnoxious and I wouldn't have had any fun having to sit in that crowd of jumping around, hooting and hollering, screaming black people and I'd have been annoyed. Meanwhile I find Dave Chapelle fucking hillarious because he falls more in line with me and thus so does his crowd which I'd have been fine to sit in. It isn't racist, it's just one type of people I don't mesh well with while the other type I do while both performers are still black.

I work somewhere where I see a lot of people from around the country and the world, a lot. I find I don't like New Yorkers, people from jersey, people from Florida, India, etc. Nothing to do with their skin color, I just find them irritating. Doesn't make me racist against indians, it's just on the whole they are unfriendly and very entitled people. The southern black folks tend to be loud and obnoxious. And so on. I also don't care for children because I have none, never grew up around them and I am unable to relate to them. And so on. I tolerate them but I don't like them and not liking someone is not the same as hating them. But I have met some blacks, Mexicans, indians, children and so on I quite liked and get along great with. I don't like a lot of gay people I meet that project this gay persona hard like they are playing a part, real flamers as a lot of them are, but I work with a gay dude for 2 years before I found out he was gay and even then I didn't care because we were alike, he is still cool to me and we work well together.

So just remember, it's ok to not like a group of people. Not liking someone is fine. We have too much emphasis on you have to like and have to accept every single person on the planet (which is impossible) but you aren't allowed to dislike anyone.

If we all accept this fact, if we all just focus on what makes us as individuals happy, if we extend basic curtiousy to people we don't like when face to face and ignore them the rest of the time then this would be a much happier and better world.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
As far as I know they're "people" at the end. You can dislike whoever you want

Because you dislike them as human beings and not race, religion or sexuality

I also don't think anyone sane doesn't know this by now. Because I stated why

I am free to dislike anyone as long as I have a proper reason for why I dislike the person

highrider

Banned
I dislike ideological groups and their members across the board, but race isn’t relevant to me. I’ve met high character and low character individuals of all races.

tenor.gif

Ten_Fold

Disliking someone based on race or sex is dumb as fuck, but you can dislike a certain person. Like I'm not a fan of ALOT of LGBTQ, because if you say anything they assume your homophobic, and not because they are piece of shit.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
So just remember, it's ok to not like a group of people. Not liking someone is fine. We have too much emphasis on you have to like and have to accept every single person on the planet (which is impossible) but you aren't allowed to dislike anyone.
i see what you are getting at, that tribal dislikes are a normal thing. but imo it is not something that should be encouraged. more often than not the answer to our problems is elsewhere: it is in corruption, nepotism, wasteful spending, poverty, overlooked injustice, etc. yet the State works hard to assert it's power, to the point where regular people feel powerless to affect change. when people are desperate they take matters into their own hands. they cannot punch up, so they punch down. when the government has failed us and we have no hope in them working for our interests, we turn against outsiders.

throughout history we see this pattern time and time again. during the medieval plague, people noticed that Jewish people were not getting as sick, and due to their tradition of getting water from a difference source than gentiles, they were seen as suspicious, and accused of poisoning the water source, and many were killed. such a situation has real material causes - the plague, the famines, differences in hygiene, etc. but at the time people blamed it on racism. in truth they just had different customs for getting water and personal hygiene, so they were less susceptible. but to the ignorant plague victim, they thought they were a secretive group of people that doomed them. mass ignorance can be a very dangerous thing.

that said, it is wrong much of the time to blame these groups on these problems. it is a desperate and often illogical act. you may hate a group because they are always involved in robbery, yet your hatred blinds you of the fact that they grew up impoverished thanks to things your ancestors did, and that perhaps if your elected representatives did more to help everyone, uplifting the social safety net, there would be less desperate people in the world. in the passion of the moment we will blame them, for the way they look, for how it matches the stereotype we see in movies and on tv, and ignore the direct cause (which is a direct cause in many of these cases) which is poverty. poverty is a real world condition we can do something about. someone's skin color cannot be changed and it has no correlation to how they will act. that is a racist fantasy.

the truth is, not all people of a group act the same, so that kind of thinking is wrong. otherwise of course every one of those people, or at least an overwhelming majority, would be robbers. yet that is not the case. it is a false way of thinking. it is a tool used by people more powerful than you to control your thinking. people are using your ignorance against you.

best to use critical thinking and approach any situation as a unique event. take in the full context and evaluate accordingly.

Last edited:

eot

Banned
What you call dislikes are actually prejudices, and the reason they're bad is that they sometimes stop you from treating people or things fairly. They're a natural bi-product of pattern recognition and the kind of compartmentalization our brains have to do to cope with how large the world is, but it's also healthy to question them. It's fine to think "I tend to not like people from New York" but it's kinda bad if you have a poor attitude against the new guy at your work because he's a New Yorker.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom