• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why on Earth did Respawn think no custom Titan loadouts was a good idea?

D3VI0US

Frankly between that the slower speed and the inferior maps this game isn't nearly as good as the original. I mean wtf, experimenting with different Titan chasis and weapon combinations was a big part of the fun. Such a shame but given all of that I doubt this game will even have the legs the first one did.

Agreed. Stryder with a chaingun FTW.

A lot of changes were made to make the sequel more accessible and casual friendly. Hell, you get third person super kill moves with titans and your titan is invincible while doing it. I guess so Johnny Casual doesn't get butt hurt that he died while doing it.

The maps really are terrible. Even with the changes they made, i enjoy the game. But the maps really, really suck.

Because hero FPSs are selling, why be innovative? /s

I have no idea, if they make a Titanfall 3, it should be with what the fans asked for and not what we have right now.

stephen08

From a design standpoint, I imagine it's because of readability. If you see a Scorch coming at you know in general what it is capable of.

Never played the first one so I don't really have a preference but the argument could definitely be made that it was a conscious design to choice to make the game better.

From a design standpoint, I imagine it's because of readability. If you see a Scorch coming at you know in general what it is capable of.

Never played the first one so I don't really have a preference but the argument could definitely be made that it was a conscious design to choice to make the game better.
This, it makes titan encounters more tactical knowing what you're up against and how to counter it.

Risette

A Good Citizen
As somebody who never played the first game, the way things are in 2 make perfect sense and the approach in the OP from the original game just sounds messy. Titans have distinct roles and I know which ones to take on and avoid, or how to approach them just by looking at them.

idk guys just because the first game did a certain thing doesn't mean its the best way

Reebot

Unique titan loadouts is pretty much the only OK change from 1 to 2. It cuts down on experimentation but it adds a nifty "choose your hero" dynamic.

There are much, much worse changes.

As somebody who never played the first game, the way things are in 2 make perfect sense and the approach in the OP from the original game just sounds messy. Titans have distinct roles and I know which ones to take on and avoid, or how to approach them just by looking at them.

idk guys just because the first game did a certain thing doesn't mean its the best way
But member when blah, blah, blah? Yeah, member...?

Agreed.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I can see why they did it. It's harder to balance things that way, and there's the whole conveyance issue everyone is mentioning. Otherwise, every weapon and ability has to be equally balanced to avoid creating an optimal load-out.

Schlorgan

You're forgetting where you are.
MtZ9N.gif

Sounds like people wanted Titanfall Too, not Titanfall 2.

D3VI0US

Yeah I read some interviews where they claimed that and it's a bunch of bullshit honestly. You could easily tell in the first game via the chassis silhouette and the weapon the Titan was holding most of it's capabilities. Respawn might argue it makes the game better or is best way but as someone who played the shit out of the first game I disagree and feel my point is more valid than catering to some filthy casuals.

The dumbest part is they still only have 3 chassis, if there were 10 Titans to choose from it wouldn't be so glaring. Who knows what their DLC plans are but it's gonna take more than cosmetics and remakes of old maps. If I'm gonna play Angel City I might as well fire up TF1 for a more enjoyable experience.

Limiting the versatility and depth made possible by different Titan loadout options is just really really disappointing. I'm just really bummed cause this game was supposed to be my multiplayer fix for the next 6 months and I already know that it won't hold my interest for that long.

Also no challenges, daily or otherwise and all the changes to the leveling up and regen system while not a big deal is a step back as well.

Anung

Un Rama
I'm enjoying my time with Titanfall 2's MP but it's such a huge downgrade from the original. I'm testing Titans out and because it's class based I don't enjoy using them much. I enjoyed making my own Titan in the original. Certain maps are okay but some are just terrible. Whoever designed Complex needs fired into the sun. They barely feel designed around character mobility or Titans since it's all choke points with 3-4 Titan squeezed into 2 hallways on some maps. The better maps in TF1 were so dense with pilot movement options and Titans had plenty of place to dash.

When I played the original I could play as a pilot and kick both pilot and Titan asses or play as a Titan and deal with other Titans and pilots. It felt really well balanced. Usually in 2 I hold onto my Titan and kill enough until whatever class is better than my Titan comes along and kills me.

Going to have to stick with 2 anyway because there's nothing else like it and I'll be damned if I'm paying for 2 subs.

Zabka

If there's one thing Titanfall 2 and CODIW taught me it's that I don't want players to be robots in multiplayer. I don't wanna be a robot and I don't wanna shoot robots.

Sure you do.
That's grand coming from someone who thinks scortch and northstar need buff s. Did it two times tonight with gaffers on hardpoint and attrition. I really hope one of us saved the game. I bet it's impossible to go a round without dying too because of the ridiculous TTK?

stephen08

Yeah I read some interviews where they claimed that and it's a bunch of bullshit honestly. You could easily tell in the first game via the chassis silhouette and the weapon the Titan was holding most of it's capabilities.

The dumbest part is they still only have 3 chassis, if there were 10 Titans to choose from it wouldn't be so glaring. Who knows what their DLC plans are but it's gonna take more than cosmetics and remakes of old maps. If I'm gonna play Angel City I might as well fire up TF1 for a more enjoyable experience.

Limiting the versatility and depth made possible by different Titan loadout options is just really really disappointing. I'm just really bummed cause this game was supposed to be my multiplayer fix for the next 6 months and I already know that it won't hold my interest for that long.

Also no challenges, daily or otherwise and all the changes to the leveling up and regen system while not a big deal is a step back as well.

Kind of sounds like you have an axe to grind.

FWIW there are challenges, if you hit options there are some game specific ones I have seen and the banners, camos, etc have a variety of challenges associated with them.

I see where people are coming from, but I disagree. One of Titanfall 2's biggest tenets seems to be 'in the moment' decision making above all else. The better and more athletic/clever pilot should win the fight.

I think Titan loadouts clashes with this on a design level. Most shooters have intense loadout options. For casual players, this can lead to anxiety over other players winning because they have better stuff or a better setup than you.

Relying on classes makes the game more focused on awareness rather than some silly meta about getting the highest DPS.

Madness

Custom loadouts end up being the same 95% for everyone when people figure out which weapon/loadout is slightly better than the rest.

Menitta

I like this.

Newlove

I quite like it the way it is in TF2. Still plenty of customisation options. It gives each one more of a defined role.

Mechazawa

The "silhoutte" argument comes across as pretty flimsy when it's not a design philosophy that's applied to the other half of the game, the pilots, who can run and bounce at lightspeed and have any combination of ordinance, tactical ability, weapon, perk and boost. If Respawn's concern was readability, they chose to impose it on that part of the game that needed it the least, because you have way more inherent room to figure out what the other Titan can do, as opposed to the other pilot, where your engagements last in literal seconds.

It's a doubly ridiculous argument when you have two similar frames in the game, Ronin and Northstar, that play completely opposite and only have a similar build because they have the same dash/health. Which is what the first game was already doing since you could've picked a Stryder and played it either way.

Orayn

The "silhoutte" argument comes across as pretty flimsy when it's not a design philosophy that's applied to the other half of the game, the pilots, who can run and bounce at lightspeed and have any combination of ordinance, tactical ability, weapon, perk and boost. If Respawn's concern was readability, they chose to impose it on that part of the game that needed it the least, because you have way more inherent room to figure out what the other Titan can do, as opposed to the other pilot, where your engagements last in literal seconds.

It's a doubly ridiculous argument when you have two frames in the game, Ronin and Northstar, that play completely opposite and only have a similar build because they have the same dash/health. Which is what the first game was already doing since you could've picked a Stryder and played it either way.

You know pilots' tactical abilities by their appearance.

Reebot

That's grand coming from someone who thinks scortch and northstar need buff s. Did it two times tonight with gaffers on hardpoint and attrition. I really hope one of us saved the game. I bet it's impossible to go a round without dying too because of the ridiculous TTK?

Easy tiger, no need to get so mad.

Because hero FPSs are selling, why be innovative? /s
Yes because custom loadouts in 2016 are the epitome of innovative game design. /s

I see where people are coming from, but I disagree. One of Titanfall 2's biggest tenets seems to be 'in the moment' decision making above all else. The better and more athletic/clever pilot should win the fight.

I think Titan loadouts clashes with this on a design level. Most shooters have intense loadout options. For casual players, this can lead to anxiety over other players winning because they have better stuff or a better setup than you.

Relying on classes makes the game more focused on awareness rather than some silly meta about getting the highest DPS.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Respawn has always said that the number one thing about Titanfall is that it is fair and is a fun to play.

When you start adding in a multiple amount of Titans with the multiple amount of weapons balance becomes extremely difficult it's something that Call of Duty and Battlefield have never gotten right because the amount of weapons that they offer combined with the sheer amount of possibilities it is just impossible to balance.

Them not doing custom Titans gives them a much better handle on balancing and I'm okay with it since I would much rather have a balanced game then an unbalanced mess.

I don't see the Titans being any way part of the "hero shooter" trend right now either.

Edit for dumbass spelling mistakes.

exYle

Meh, loadout based shooters have had their heyday. Between Overwatch and Halo 5 (and to an extent, Destiny), I'm done with doing the guessing game what the other guy is packing. I see a Scorch, I know to watch my surroundings. I see a Ronin, I make sure that I have an escape route and am in open ground.

Wait, there are only 3 types of Titans to choose?

Thats crazy if each has a preset, unchangeable weapon loadout. I thought there would be like 10-12 choices something like that.

A lot of changes were made to make the sequel more accessible and casual friendly. Hell, you get third person super kill moves with titans and your titan is invincible while doing it. I guess so Johnny Casual doesn't get butt hurt that he died while doing it.

The maps really are terrible. Even with the changes they made, i enjoy the game. But the maps really, really suck.

My man, Stryder w/ chaingun was the most fun I'd had with a shooter in a long-time, considering there's no multiplayer Titan with that option (Legion's mini-gun is wayyy different) in 2 I've felt a gaping hole in my heart.

Agreed that the maps seem weak, I'll be curious to compare an old map in the new game when Angel City drops.

kobu

Respond has always said that the number one thing about Titanfall is that it is fair and is a fun to play.

When you start adding in a multiple amount of Titans with the multiple amount of weapons balance becomes extremely difficult it's something that Call of Duty and Battlefield have never gotten right because the amount of weapons that they offer combined with the sheer amount of possibilities it is just impossible to balance.

Them not doing custom Titans gives them a much better handle on balancing and I'm okay with it since I would much rather have a balanced game then an unbalanced mess.

I don't see the Titans being any way part of the "hero shooter" trend right now either.

These titans don't seem balanced at all though

D3VI0US

Are you holding out on some insider knowledge?

Not insider knowledge: http://www.mercurynews.com/2016/06/23/titanfall-2-won-t-have-custom-mechs-and-that-s-good/

The pilot and mech dynamic still exists in Titanfall 2, but it has been tweaked.
A CURE FOR BATTLE FATIGUE:Analyzing the Titanfall matches data, the developers found that players didn t understand where the danger is coming from. In Call of Duty or even, there are lines of conflict. Players usually know that two teams on the opposite of the map go forward and eventually clash at choke points and other areas.

But with Titanfall and its novel movement system, combat was more of a cloud. There was too much chaos. Players didn t know where bullets would be coming from. A player would die and not even know that an adversary below, behind or above them was aiming their guns at him. To mitigate this, Respawn Entertainment had a plan.

We had specific goals of letting players predict what happen, McCandish said. The team wanted players to anticipate more and react less so gamers would have less battle fatigue.

With this in mind, they took out customizable Titans. In Titanfall 2, each giant robot will be fixed with their own characteristics. EA showed off two new models at the EA Play event: Ion and Scorch.

Players will have more type of mechs to choose from.

I mean I could poke holes in almost every justification they have for this choice but ultimately it was Respawns decision, I'm just pointing out how I think it's a fucking terrible one. I still love the game but hopefully they fix this in a patch or update before it's too late and the community dries up even faster than the first game.

JaMarco

One cool thing the class system has is it allows them to add extra systems to the Titan like Tone's lock-on system or Ion's energy system. Can't really do that with fully customizable Titans.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
These titans don't seem balanced at all though

I agree somewhat but after the recent nerf to tone and the other class I'm blanking on the name right now, I think that it is much better. Granted it's not perfect but it is by far more balanced in any Call of Duty I have played besides the OG Black Ops.

Infinite Warfare for example is a total freaking crap shoot with its stat boosting loot box weapons.

Deadbeat

Banned

Stryder in itself is the best mech of the game. It mirrored the agility and finesse pilots had translated to big robot form.

Easy tiger, no need to get so mad.
Lol, you are all about the potshots, eh? It's all about picking your battles and coordinating titanfal with your teamates. I start with the battery boost, have teammates that get and share batteries and we usually titanfall en masse. You'd be surprised how many teams still call in lone titans 1 by 1. Combine that with ppl who love to rush their titan right into the middle of the action, regardless of their class or enemy titan composition, and it's not hard to survive. Working as a team, communication , flankkng, battery management and knowing when to engage or back the hell off go a long way. A bunch of ppl commenting here have already stated they dont plan on buying or haven't played the game. How's that fair?

stephen08

It's a doubly ridiculous argument when you have two similar frames in the game, Ronin and Northstar, that play completely opposite and only have a similar build because they have the same dash/health. Which is what the first game was already doing since you could've picked a Stryder and played it either way.

Well, your ability does dictate your visual style as a pilot but there's not as much emphasis because it is such a small time to kill. By the time you know what someone has you most likely have either been killed or killed them.

It's the duality of the combat where Pilot gameplay is about fast time to kill and mobility and Titan gameplay is drawn out and much more about fulfilling a specific role. Otherwise, the game would feel like titans fighting titans and mini titans fighting mini titans.

Ronin and Northstar maybe look somewhat similar idk, I usually tell them apart by how they act I suppose.

This.

And I really like the way it is. Also it is much better for balancing this way.

Top Bottom