• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why PS5, Series X Games Have Yet to Blow Us Away

Mmnow

Mate your writing clear bullshit there's no point in arguing with u just keep moving because everybody has clearly heard the developer complain about series s except you for some reason only god knows.
I can't make it any clearer than sharing a timestamped transcript, which I've done.

People can choose to believe you, or they can read the transcript and watch the video and see you're talking crap. They certainly don't have to take my word for it.

I can't make it any clearer than sharing a timestamped transcript, which I've done.

People can choose to believe you, or they can read the transcript and watch the video and see you're talking crap. They certainly don't have to take my word for it.
People watched the video and you can read the comments they clearly heard what i heard the series s is holding back nextgen consoles, asta lavista. Goodbye, adios amigo.

GymWolf

Because the real graphic wizards are still not in play (and unfortunately some of their games are gonna be crossgen, fuck you jimbo)

And even demons remake is onestly not fully nextgen imo, a lot of stuff is on par or even worse than some current gen games, but that's the limit of working on a remake and not something builded from the core on nextgen console.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Anyone have a timestamp for when he talks aboust XSS holding back next gen development, i honestly missed it. I did see him talk about it not being as simple as just dropping resolution on XSS, there is more to it. Thats not exactly the same thing though.

Also lol at Ryans face when the other guy said 'We have data that shows a lot of people dont finish games'.

NickFire

The reason is singular. There just isn't enough money to be made until the install bases grow, so the devs don't go all in during the 2-3 years before launch.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Wtf are people expecting? These games have been amazing and the changes to previous gen games has been transformative.

I'm very impressed so far, just want more of what we're getting

JackMcGunns

I think ”dev being the janitor” thing mostly comes down to his finnish accent

Edit: Damn, he doesnt sound like a big fan of Series S at all.

Is anyone?

Ive heard of them. Some of them even inhabit this very forum, according to the legends.

In my mind, its common sense that Series S will impact game development one way or another. To what extent we will probably never know. But some people beg to differ.

Start watching from 14:40 into the video. Series S is only an issue trying to use OLD engines. So the opposite is true, Series S will shine and scale well with Next-gen assets.

Hurray for Series S fans. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
With bandwidth limitations, I don't see this "being blown away" coming to fruition. You can't add all kinds of exceptional graphics features (accurate SSS/PBR shaders, massive texture sizes, 16x filtering, true 3D volume textures, multiple transparency FX overlapping each other, etc..) and have it run at 60FPS @ a reasonable resolution (1440p or above) when the highest end graphics cards (6700XT/RTX3090) barely run these games at those settings pushing 90% or above GPU cycles. Something has to give. These developers act like they only used 20% of the GPU power of these systems for implementing Control.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
He's complained about series s, said it's not as easy as people think about just lowering resolution and effects it's more complex than that, This is another developer out of a dozen to complain of series s but as usual fanatics will ignore this and call him a lazy retarded developer. 🤣

Honestly it's clear that anyone who says the bold has never written a line of code and then shipped a finished product in their lives. Either that or they are just a siloed code monkey who can't see the forest for the trees.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

PlayStation's contribution to next gen multiplat base spec:
CPU - 8 cores 16 threads @ 3.5 GHz
GPU - 36 CUs @ 2.23 GHz
RAM - 16 GB @ 448 GB/s
I/O - 5.5-9.0 GB/s

Xbox's contribution to next gen multiplat base spec:
CPU - 8 cores 16 threads @ 3.4 GHz
GPU - 20 CUs @ 1.565 GHz
RAM - 10 GB @ 56-224 GB/s
I/O - 2.4-4.8 GB/s

Now lets look at what multiplatform developers will be using for their next gen console base spec for the next 7 years:

(XBSS sets base spec cuz its lower than PS5)

GPU - 20 CUs @ 1.565 GHz
(XBSS also sets base spec cuz its lower than PS5)

(XBSS sets base spec again cu its lower than PS5)

I/O - 2.4-4.8 GB/s
(XBSS/X both set base spec once again, both are lower than PS5)

Thrilled to know Sbox will be holding back multiplatform PS5 games for the entire generation. Thanks Philsoft.

Honestly it's clear that anyone who says the bold has never written a line of code and then shipped a finished product in their lives. Either that or they are just a siloed code monkey who can't see the forest for the trees.
Some of them think consoles work as pcs they think you just port it to whatever configuration and just lower graphics settings and magically it will work from windows 95 pentium pro to windows 10 🤣🤣🤣

Hunnybun

With bandwidth limitations, I don't see this "being blown away" coming to fruition. You can't add all kinds of exceptional graphics features (accurate SSS/PBR shaders, massive texture sizes, 16x filtering, true 3D volume textures, multiple transparency FX overlapping each other, etc..) and have it run at 60FPS @ a reasonable resolution (1440p or above) when the highest end graphics cards (6700XT/RTX3090) barely run these games at those settings pushing 90% or above GPU cycles. Something has to give. These developers act like they only used 20% of the GPU power of these systems for implementing Control.

These developers act like they never even read your posts!

Don't they realise you're an industry veteran?!

He even showed the receipts after you called him a liar lol. Doesn't fit your agenda so you're acting like you didn't see it 🤣🤣🤣
The only receipt here is the video and the words of the developer not some nit picked selective timelines he's produced its incredibly extraordinary how silly people are like everyone has clearly watched the video and people still have the nerve to tell you that you heard wrong and this is what was said! It's as if we all have no ears and need him to explain it to us it's incredible. Attenborough would be flattered to witness this supernatural phenomena in gaf.

Last edited:

Sagii86

While I appreciate your insight and positivity on many topics, I tend to disagree when questioning the new rendering pipelines & procedural systems current rigs will enable. I'm sure many teams are quite anxious to share it with the public soon.

Stuart360

The only receipt here is the video and the words of the developer not some nit picked selective timelines he's produced its incredibly extraordinary how silly people are like everyone has clearly watched the video and people still have the nerve to tell you that you heard wrong and this is what was said! It's as if we all have no ears and need him to explain it to us it's incredible. Attenborough would be flattered to witness this supernatural phenomena in gaf.
giphy.gif

Alright

Banned
I put it down to what the industry has become and who the audience is.

During and before the Ps360 days, gaming was still dominated by enthusiast, hardcore gamers, so games had to appeal to that wide audience (edit: a game had to be an expert at one thing and sell that to the group of hardcore gamers that were interested) . Be this in the vein of good graphics, engaging story, or difficult/deep gameplay. Sure, you had your family friendly games, fifa and Cod, but they didn't rake in the money like they do now and with so little effort.

That Fortnite can make billions for releasing a few cheesy skins, shows who the target audience is nowadays and it isn't people who care about games. Now that gaming is fashionable, it's only socially acceptable play what is fashionable.

It's not doom and gloom though. What were seeing now is the Blizzard/Warcraft effect - Wow was raking in millions a month back in its hay-day, all because of the subscription needed to play. but the money was so easy to come by they Blizzard neglected its other franchises and look what happened...

I believe an instantaneous readjustment is on the horizon. When the MTX whales get bored and move on, or go outside again after lockdown, we will see the target audience shift again.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Sooo happy to hear about the Series S making life hard for next gen. Thanks MS.
Do you really believe this is any worse than making a game run on PC or having it run on PS, Xbox, and PC? Of course not. These devs are just being whiny bitches so they can get some sympathy from MS.

Entroyp

PS5 has been blowing me away since las November and this is just the beginnIng of the generation. Not only graphics wise but on QoL features like loading times.

Plus, almost everything right now is cross gen so it can only get better.

120 fps is the only thing I believe is overblown and not at all necessary for consoles.

Current gen consoles are last-gen hardware. If you want to be blown away play MS Flight Simulator on high-end PC. That's next level.

PlayStation's contribution to next gen multiplat base spec:
CPU - 8 cores 16 threads @ 3.5 GHz
GPU - 36 CUs @ 2.23 GHz
RAM - 16 GB @ 448 GB/s
I/O - 5.5-9.0 GB/s

Xbox's contribution to next gen multiplat base spec:
GPU - 20 CUs @ 1.565 GHz
I/O - 2.4-4.8 GB/s

Now lets look at what multiplatform developers will be using for their next gen console base spec for the next 7 years:

(XBSS sets base spec cuz its lower than PS5)

GPU - 20 CUs @ 1.565 GHz
(XBSS also sets base spec cuz its lower than PS5)

(XBSS sets base spec again cu its lower than PS5)

I/O - 2.4-4.8 GB/s
(XBSS/X both set base spec once again, both are lower than PS5)

Thrilled to know Sbox will be holding back multiplatform PS5 games for the entire generation. Thanks Philsoft.
So it's concluded. Developers start with the absolute lowest spec game console and scale up? Is everyone in agreement on this?

You are right that neither of these systems can compare with a 3090 in terms of brute power, but consoles have always found ways to punch above their weight by mid to late gen. Looking at games like RDR2, TLOU2, and Gears 5 that were able to wring some pretty sick stuff out of pretty constrained consoles in the One X and PS4 Pro. I don't doubt we are going to see some amazing looking games on the consoles in 2-3 years time.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
This is probably the first gen where the graphics didn't really blow me away across the board. Most gens had at least one console or game that really had the wow factor. The load times are the biggest selling point thus far.

Historically the games that blew me away were:

SNES - Super Mario World
PS1 - Battle Arena Toshinden
N64 - None, PS1 games were already kinda "there" graphically and a year earlier to boot
Dreamcast - Soul Calibur
PS2 - Early games looked Dreamcast like to me so maybe nothing really until Final Fantasy X.
GCN - Rogue Squadron
Xbox - None until Ninja Gaiden came out. That game was ridiculous.
Xbox 360 - Call of Duty 2 most likely
PS3 - weirdly none until LA Noire. That tech was crazy.
PS4 - Assassin's Creed Black Flag - mostly the sailing parts
XB1 - None

Hoping we get a Ninja Gaiden or LA Noire moment where I'm wondering how they're even doing those graphics.

DavidGzz

This is probably the first gen where the graphics didn't really blow me away across the board. Most gens had at least one console or game that really had the wow factor. The load times are the biggest selling point thus far.

Historically the games that blew me away were:

SNES - Super Mario World
PS1 - Battle Arena Toshinden
N64 - None, PS1 games were already kinda "there" graphically and a year earlier to boot
Dreamcast - Soul Calibur
PS2 - Early games looked Dreamcast like to me so maybe nothing really until Final Fantasy X.
GCN - Rogue Squadron
Xbox - None until Ninja Gaiden came out. That game was ridiculous.
Xbox 360 - Call of Duty 2 most likely
PS3 - weirdly none until LA Noire. That tech was crazy.
PS4 - Assassin's Creed Black Flag - mostly the sailing parts
XB1 - None

Hoping we get a Ninja Gaiden or LA Noire moment where I'm wondering how they're even doing those graphics.

Agree on most but Halo 1 and seeing the sun through the pine trees was awesome. Also Ryse smashes Black Flag.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Confucius once said, "Buy a console for the games it can play today, not the games it might play some time in the future."

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
While I appreciate your insight and positivity on many topics, I tend to disagree when questioning the new rendering pipelines & procedural systems current rigs will enable. I'm sure many teams are quite anxious to share it with the public soon.
"Blow you away" is a very very strong phrase and shouldn't really be used as if the current crop of games are significantly subpar right now. You need bandwidth to make a generational leap described as "blown away" over games that are current now and consoles don't have that kind of bandwidth.

RT usage is definitely not going to blow people away with the consoles only having enough bandwidth for reflections and no DLSS.

Top Bottom