• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Scalebound should be revived

• It looks unique for a Kamiya/Platinum games game. People always hammer PG for "making Bayonetta clones" (which isn't true each of those games have their own nuances anyways) and this game looked to be different from that template and now they're...upset about it?
  • It'd give Microsoft a nice exclusive game. It's not often you'd see that type of game, an action RPG exclusive from a darling developer, on their platform.
  • I'm sure there's still much that was completed of it that we haven't seen for various reasons.
  • A game like this may have looked rough from what we've seen...but that was not indicative of the final version. More often than not games like Scalebound shape up and get polished near the end of development.
So as a result, I still believe Scalebound could be something special. In Kamiya I trust.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
tenor.gif

I mean yeah, maybe take a second go at the concept, but you'd still have to start from scratch.

Not necessarily, if that's the case they could take things that worked from before and update the things that didn't work from before, so it wouldn't need to be 100 percent from scratch.

I think it's more likely they would develop a new IP that is similar but different, instead of just reviving Scalebound to continue where they left off.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Not this shit again. Second thread like this in a week.

Scalebound looked like garbage at every showing, which was only 3 showings iirc. At its last showing it looked the worst. Platinum fucked it up and wasted 3+ years only to have not much to show for it, so MS cancelled it. They don’t just throw away tens of millions of dollars for fun.

This forum tore it apart when it showed and looked terrible. Only after it got cancelled did it supposedly look amazing to this forum.

Punished Miku

Gold Member

The main character could be appealing as a sort of Starlord from Guardians of the Galaxy type, but the writing would have to be actually good to make his pop culture attitude actually funny and not annoying. Fighting alongside a dragon, not sure if it's actually working out all that well in this video. Combat seems like a lesser version of Dragon's Dogma - being an RPG adaptation of DMC basically.

Does it have cities? The game seems like a big open world, maybe. Seems Kamiya was basically trying to make his version of Dragon's Dogma, and try to use his DMC roots for an RPG. That sounds cool, but it didn't seem to work for me.

Gameplay can always be improved. I think the big thing this game never sold successfully to people is the actual setting, the main character, the cohesiveness of the art style. Maybe it's all there, and just wasn't shown - but we'll never know. It looks a bit like a lazy mashing of DMC into fantasy that really clashes in an unappealing way.

Ironically, I don't really think it's that different from DMC V honestly, or even Dragon's Dogma. Similar looking main characters. V looks like he might play similarly to the dragon in some ways. Capcom and Kamiya kind of went in similar directions. If Scalebound was worth salvaging, it would have to be better or at least on par with both those games. You even mount the enemies like Dragon's Dogma. I guess it does look pretty fun honestly lol, just was never finished.

Last edited:
I looked like complete shit and would release to the same fanfare and reviews as Crackdown 3. I actually liked Crackdown 3, and there's a good chance I'd enjoy Scalebound too as I've never found a Platinum game I didn't like. It would probably end up reviewed similarly unless they started from scratch and had the entire team working on it for five years.

Kimahri

Banned
I think they showed too much of the bad parts, and too little of the potentially good parts.

Who wants multiplayer in a game like this?
Who thinks a wise ass from our world is a great protag in a medieval fantasy setting?

I barely saw glimpses of exploration and the world, towns etc. If they'd shown us more of that, and just ditched that terrible protag, then maybe it would have looked better.

Looked cool enough for me though, but I loved Drakengard. Drakengard had a great story and characters though, something there were no indications Scalebound was about to provide.

I didn't hate everything I saw in the trailer. With more work Scalebound could've been a better game.

I think they showed too much of the bad parts, and too little of the potentially good parts.

Who wants multiplayer in a game like this?
Who thinks a wise ass from our world is a great protag in a medieval fantasy setting?

I barely saw glimpses of exploration and the world, towns etc. If they'd shown us more of that, and just ditched that terrible protag, then maybe it would have looked better.

Looked cool enough for me though, but I loved Drakengard. Drakengard had a great story and characters though, something there were no indications Scalebound was about to provide.
Multiplayer was not needed. A hero being transported from the modern world to a fantasy world is something I've been seeing a lot in anime. Platinum was probably inspired by what they saw in anime shows.

The Alien

Banned
Im so freaking tired of Scalebound threads.

Where are the Deep Down threads?

There are reasons why games are killed during production. The game looked like shit and apparently ran even worse after years of development. Platinum had no problem diverting resources and focus to deliver licensed, shit properties during that same time frame Scalebound was in develeopment.

Now they want to work on it again? F them. Phil was right to pull the plug on a game MS already dumped millions into and was very niche to begin with.

Just stop...for realsies.

Ritsumei2020

Report me for console warring
  • It looks unique for a Kamiya/Platinum games game. People always hammer PG for "making Bayonetta clones" (which isn't true each of those games have their own nuances anyways) and this game looked to be different from that template and now they're...upset about it?
  • It'd give Microsoft a nice exclusive game. It's not often you'd see that type of game, an action RPG exclusive from a darling developer, on their platform.
  • I'm sure there's still much that was completed of it that we haven't seen for various reasons.
  • A game like this may have looked rough from what we've seen...but that was not indicative of the final version. More often than not games like Scalebound shape up and get polished near the end of development.
So as a result, I still believe Scalebound could be something special. In Kamiya I trust.

Im with you 100% bro. Bring back Scalebound MS!

Pejo

I bought an Xbone for Scalebound, why not an XSeX as well? I really just want to play the game that they envisioned, so I'm obviously all for them reviving it. Though, if they brought it back now, it'd probably release on PC too, which I would prefer, so still not much of an XSeX incentive for me personally.

PlayVerso

I don't think it will happen, it would be a costly development and not profitable for Microsoft due to the GamePass.

nikolino840

Only if that cause a massive player base for Xbox, at least to chase ps4 player base and win the goty at the game awards

Graciaus

Here's why it shouldn't be: looked like garbage from day one and continued until the final reveal. Hopefully all involved learned from the mistakes and move on.

Jon Neu

Banned
Okay, let's do this:

-Take triple AAA money
-Go to GRRM house
-Shove it in his fat face
-Get Game Of Throne's videogame rights
-Pick a fucking Developer
-Make a good game with dragons in it
-Fuck Scalebound in the ass

SoraNoKuni

It was literally the only xbox exclusive that I paid attention too, and it got cancelled.

It seems though that it was a little too big of a project for platinum, MS is also known to mess with studios and their projects so yeah that was a bad combination, if they were hired by Sony we would probably have a scalebound ip and even looking forward to a sequel.

Pallas

Gold Member
Let it die already ...

MSFT owns the IP right? If it does get revived, it will probably be developed by a different studio.

Cato

Banned
No.
Scalebound looked really stupid. And also looked like shit.
We don't need this to be revived, not for Xbox, not for any console.

Oh, wait. Revive Scalebound and make it a 60$ exclusive on Stadia.

anothertech

Switch the lead to a gang of hot females riding dragons and you've got a winner.

Also, the Xbone fans about to chew you up for daring to care for possibly the best looking game this generation on the Xbox, because their overlords said it was shit. And it's black and white. Its either shit or it's goat. There's no in between.

How dare you sir.

nikolino840

It was literally the only xbox exclusive that I paid attention too, and it got cancelled.

It seems though that it was a little too big of a project for platinum, MS is also known to mess with studios and their projects so yeah that was a bad combination, if they were hired by Sony we would probably have a scalebound ip and even looking forward to a sequel.
Well just look scalebound and project awakening

MrFunSocks

Banned
I bought an Xbone for Scalebound
lol no you didn't, or if you did that was an absolutely ridiculous move.

Switch the lead to a gang of hot females riding dragons and you've got a winner.

Also, the Xbone fans about to chew you up for daring to care for possibly the best looking game this generation on the Xbox, because their overlords said it was shit. And it's black and white. Its either shit or it's goat. There's no in between.

How dare you sir.
Scalebound looked shit. "Best looking game this generation on the Xbox" lol wtf were you watching?

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
This is another perfect example of why developers & publishers need to stop announcing games that are still very early in development.

Most of the detractors of this thread are lame af. "Don't like the game so glad it's cancelled" is the general hivemind thinking...don't like the game? Just don't buy it and or ignore it. Doesn't mean the game should've been cancelled. People like me should've been able to get the game and form our own opinions on it. I still like what I saw of the game, and wish I could've played it. I bet there are much worse games out there that did actually get released. And what, life goes on. The world doesn't end when a game gets released...

Top Bottom