• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Some People Hate TLOU2?

Dunki

3 act structure is not really a "rule" it's a basic structure that writers don't have to follow. Every movie doesn't follow it and story doesn't follow it.
It was an example of baisc rules in terms of structure . Tropes for examples are another tool writers use since hundred of years. You can not invent writing new.

Dunki

I'm asking you where's your proof that most critics picked Hades over TLOU 2 as GOTY.
Lets use the english ones:

Trusted Reviews (UK) : Final Fantasy VII Remake
TIME (US) : Hades
Golden Joystick Awards (UK) : The Last of Us Part II (internetvote)
Golden Joystick Critics Choice (UK) : Hades
Paste Magazine (US) : Hades
The Washington Post - Launcher (US) : Hades
Slant Magazine (US) : Hades
Evening Standard (UK) : Ghost of Tsushima
Mashable (US) : Hades
Digital Trends (US) : The Last of Us Part II
Complex (US) : Hades
Los Angeles Times (US) : Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Empire Magazine (UK) : The Last of Us Part II
The Blade (US) : Spiritfarer
Vulture (US) : Animal Crossing: New Horizons
WhatCulture (UK) : Ghost of Tsushima
NME (UK) : The Last of Us Part II
Polygon (US) : Hades

These are the english speaking ones so far

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
It was an example of baisc rules in terms of structure . Tropes for examples are another tool writers use since hundred of years. You can not invent writing new.
There's also the 4 and 5 act writing structure. Every story is not the same.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Lets use the english ones:

Trusted Reviews (UK) : Final Fantasy VII Remake
TIME (US) : Hades
Golden Joystick Awards (UK) : The Last of Us Part II (internetvote)
Golden Joystick Critics Choice (UK) : Hades
Paste Magazine (US) : Hades
The Washington Post - Launcher (US) : Hades
Slant Magazine (US) : Hades
Evening Standard (UK) : Ghost of Tsushima
Mashable (US) : Hades
Digital Trends (US) : The Last of Us Part II
Complex (US) : Hades
Los Angeles Times (US) : Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Empire Magazine (UK) : The Last of Us Part II
The Blade (US) : Spiritfarer
Vulture (US) : Animal Crossing: New Horizons
WhatCulture (UK) : Ghost of Tsushima
NME (UK) : The Last of Us Part II
Polygon (US) : Hades

These are the english speaking ones so far

I've seen all the GOTY picks on this site before. So, It's 16 vs 10 critics, in favor of TLOU 2, correct?

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Seriously, who cares not all people not like your favourite game!? 13 Sentinels my personal GOTG but I'm sure 90% people NeoGAF couldn't care less about the game. As long as you enjoyed the game then thats all that matters and despite of some people not liking TLOU2, the game still super popular and I'm pretty sure it sold well, fans have nothing to worry about.

Majmun

It's one of the best games I've ever played. Finished it twice and ejoyed it both times.
Can't wait for the PS5 Remaster.

I do understand some of the complaints, like the pacing. But it didn't bother me.

Ktotheroc

Neo Member
Media choses TLOU 2 as GOTY? Rigged/Paid.
Fans chose TLOU2 as GOTY? Rigged/Paid.
Journalist give TLOU 2 a high scores? Paid reviews.
YouTubers give TLOU 2 a high score? Paid

Example: The tweets below

People think TLOU fans cannot accept when someone doesn't like the game.

There are far too many examples of the exact opposite.

Journalists and YouTubers are media, whether it is old or new. "Fans" would be the only non-media category you've given.

TLOU fanboys are just as sensitive. Nobody cares if you've enjoyed your experience, but when some state otherwise, you guys want to try and talk down to them. Instead of making things better, it becomes tribal with normal people stuck in between.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Journalists and YouTubers are media, whether it is old or new. "Fans" would be the only non-media category you've given.

TLOU fanboys are just as sensitive. Nobody cares if you've enjoyed your experience, but when some state otherwise, you guys want to try and talk down to them. Instead of making things better, it becomes tribal with normal people stuck in between.

Media choses TLOU 2 as GOTY? Rigged/Paid.
Fans chose TLOU2 as GOTY? Rigged/Paid.
Journalist give TLOU 2 a high scores? Paid reviews.
YouTubers give TLOU 2 a high score? Paid

I can find more than 10 videos over the past week calling the GOTY Awards rigged.

Doesn't seem to fit your narrative. The loudest bunch are the haters.

oagboghi2

As I've said repeatedly, I only care about opinions that can be supported by more than "muh feelings".

If your "subjective" opinion is that the Earth is flat, guess what? You're still a moron. There is no participation prize for stupid ideas.

But anyway, back to the ongoing derail of a thread I gave up on 2 days ago!
But you are in a thread that is explicitly about feelings, and you are jumping down people's throats because their feelings don't match yours.

This "uber rational" schtick only goes so far when you are talking about something as completely subjective as "enjoyment". Comparing that to the objective fact like the earth being round is moronic.

"TLOU fans cannot accept people don't like this game"

Reality.

So....You are offended by youtube videos of people who don't like the game?

Way to prove my point.

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

For me everything that made the first memorable is gone, I don't like the dialogs and I couldn't care less for Abby. This game was the biggest letdown of the generation for me. It's a shame, the gameplay is solid and the game is gorgeous but for me is 8/10 at best, I didn't hate it, I was just expecting better.

PRiSMiWi

Why???
Is it a real question? Are you kidding?

Story wise is shit. Predictable. Joel doesn’t trust ANYONE in TLOU 1. Here he trust so easily and happens what we know.
JOEL. GIVE ME JOEL TO PLAY. I can tolerate Ellie, as a secondary playable character, NOT ABBYE.

Im so pissed off that even if there is a DLC about Joel, I will skip it.

Ktotheroc

Neo Member
I can find more than 10 videos over the past week calling the GOTY Awards rigged.

Doesn't seem to fit your narrative. The loudest bunch are the haters.

Who gives a fuck about YouTubers? The loudest bunch seem to not just be the haters, but the dickriding fanboys. As I said before, you want this to be some tribal thing. How about defending the story or why this deserves to be praised over some stupid shit I, nor people itt, could give a fuck about. Imagine grabbing low hanging fruit in the form of retarded YouTubers when this thread has a variety of reasons as to why the game is unenjoyable.

Address the elephant in the room, instead of getting all butthurt about constructive criticism.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Who gives a fuck about YouTubers? The loudest bunch seem to not just be the haters, but the dickriding fanboys. As I said before, you want this to be some tribal thing. How about defending the story or why this deserves to be praised over some stupid shit I, nor people itt, could give a fuck about. Imagine grabbing low hanging fruit in the form of retarded YouTubers when this thread has a variety of reasons as to why the game is unenjoyable.

Address the elephant in the room, instead of getting all butthurt about constructive criticism.
Fan warrior hearing their fav book, movie, music band or tv show stinks: Ya, no worries

Fan warrior hearing their fav video game stinks: Uhhhhh.... list war! How can you say the story is no good when it's the best written game ever and follows traditional 3 act story structures according to this link. I'm not Stephen King, but I can tell a good story when I see it, so if you are going to dock pts for a bad story, I'm going to be here defending it as if I wrote the script myself!

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

Ah, you don't like the fact that I'm the only one showing proof to my claims. People in this thread denied it was happening.

"It's YouTubers" It doesn't matter. I showed people across social media. It's been a few days now and you seem to get very upset when people disagrees with you. You literally bring nothing to the conversation other than someone who wants to tell me just how upset they really are. This is like the 3rd time? Yeah, I'm going to have to mute you. lol

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Fan warrior hearing their fav book, movie, music band or tv show stinks: Ya, no worries

Fan warrior hearing their fav video game stinks: Uhhhhh.... list war! How can you say the story is no good when it's the best written game ever and follows traditional 3 act story structures according to this link. I'm not Stephen King, but I can tell a good story when I see it, so if you are going to dock pts for a bad story, I'm going to be here defending it as if I wrote the script myself!

Just like people who post YouTube videos of writers who have no experience in the industry and use it as "proof". Seems like these YouTubers matter when it seems to help your narrative.

After the Game Awards the fact still remains: People cannot accept that other people love the game.

"It's rigged!"
"Sony paid them!"

There's only one group of people doing this, even with fan voted awards.

I wasted too much time in here already. I'm out. The denial is pretty strong in this thread. lol

Because they don’t like good games, or they are trolls.
Imagine actually believing this bullshit. Tragic. I would have agreed with you had you worded it "like different people like and dislike different things", but you had to fuck it up with this shitty take.

Last edited:

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
I only saw for the memes, but I legitimately thought Abby was supposed to be appealing to the woke audience, being a transwoman or something, but I later discovery she was just buffed.

Anyway, most complains I see in this thread can be applied to the last game. The history was pretty predictable, the only discerning factor was a protagonist that showed no remorse. All in all, the first game really didn't need a sequel, but everyone kept asking for it, and they got exactly what they wanted: a shoe on sequel that never made sense in the first place.

I think this reaction is a repeat of the first star wars movie in the disney trilogy. Lets see how it goes.

Ktotheroc

Neo Member

The next post....

Ah, you don't like the fact that I'm the only one showing proof to my claims. People in this thread denied it was happening.

"It's YouTubers" It doesn't matter. I showed people across social media. It's been a few days now and you seem to get very upset when people disagrees with you. You literally bring nothing to the conversation other than someone who wants to tell me just how upset they really are. This is like the 3rd time? Yeah, I'm going to have to mute you. lol

Here's DForce in image form:
43x6mg.jpg

To quote myself:

TLOU fanboys are just as sensitive.

DForce and Clear will suffice as proof of my claim, as I can't be fucked to run through this thread and name every single person who tried to derail or generalize. I also don't need to run around social media looking for shit when you're right here.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

One thing I don't understand is that video game story writing has never really been Academy Award winning level like the movie industry. I feel the haters expected a little too much from the game in that respect.

I didn't really like how the story direction went either and what happened to Joel and how it happened, but that's the story that the creators/developers chose to tell.. It's a creation which is still a form of art and art is to be appreciated whether you like it or not.

The game on a technical level succeeds in what a video game is meant to be and plays almost flawlessly imo.

The fact that people even tried to derail the awards for hating the game so much just goes to show how sad some people are that they have nothing better to do in their life then to pitchfork a fictional video game so to speak.

Anyone who feels the need to get on social media and hate something so much needs to question what they are doing with their life.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
Only thing i disliked about it was the pacing but thats s naughty dog issues with games. My only gripe is part 2 should have been strictly about abby and her dad ala part 1 with Joel and Ellie. The twist at the end is having Joel kill your character and the cliff hanger would lead to their meeting in part 3

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
You are the loudest one on this forum and take every opportunity to cry about the “haters”.

Oh, I remember you. You disappeared when I asked you for proof.

I've been telling people just how much I love the game?

I would like to see you quote me.

I caught you in several lies making bogus accusations. You guys are exhibiting similar behaviors and you guys just don't like getting called out. Like I said, I'm not going to waste my time anymore because all you guys are doing is complaining whenever someone points out your behaviors.

I'll consider continuing this discussion when you guys start acting like adults.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Oh, I remember you. You disappeared when I asked you for proof.

I caught you in several lies making bogus accusations. You guys are exhibiting similar behaviors and you guys just don't like getting called out. Like I said, I'm not going to waste my time anymore because all you guys are doing is complaining whenever someone points out your behaviors.

I'll consider continuing this discussion when you guys start acting like adults.

Disappeared? Nah simply forgot about your dumbass attempt at trying to change the subject yet again with straw man argumentation. Anyone who takes a look at your account can see the tremendous amount of time and effort you put into being butthurt that people criticize this game you love so dearly, why else would you spend all this time crying about haters?

Literally the first 3 pages of posts from you (75 posts total) has 60 posts about or related to TLOU2 and how much you liked it and how much you cry about the haters. That is literally 80% of the posts, many of which weren’t even replies, but just randomly entering the thread to drop a idiotic post crying about people with a different opinion than you.

I don’t even really need to point this out as everyone has already figured out your shtick. You aren’t the adult in this room, kiddo. You are the child who is crying that no one is listening to him.

Last edited:
Top Bottom