• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Square Enix forgot to release the final fantasy franchise for the xbox answered.

EDMIX

The lolz. I guess.

They are not going to continue this if they don't make much money. I expect this will only continue if the sales justify it.

ExpandKong

Banned
Still feeling the impacts from The Spirits Within. What were they thinking with that movie :messenger_poop:

I can’t help but wonder where we’d be today If Advent Children was the movie they put out back then and not Spirits Within.

For all its faults, Advent Children was way better than Spirits Within.

Link1110

I can’t help but wonder where we’d be today If Advent Children was the movie they put out back then and not Spirits Within.

For all its faults, Advent Children was way better than Spirits Within.
The idea of summons attacking a town was lifted right from FF9, so I guess FF9 would have felt like the derivative one and not nearly as liked as it is.

ExpandKong

Banned
The idea of summons attacking a town was lifted right from FF9, so I guess FF9 would have felt like the derivative one and not nearly as liked as it is.

Was it really? I never made that connection myself, but then Advent Children came out years after the last time I finished FF9. I keep trying to play through it again but I always get distracted and quit around Fossil Roo.

hecatomb

Banned
At one point I thought square was going to go out of business cause of FF 11 and spirits within were so bad. And least they were smart enough to merge with Enix, since they were still successful with the dragon quest series.

At one point I thought square was going to go out of business cause of FF 11 and spirits within were so bad. And least they were smart enough to merge with Enix, since they were still successful with the dragon quest series.

FF11 has the best story of them all. Also a successful (profitable) MMO.

Maybe you were talking about something else?

hecatomb

Banned
FF11 has the best story of them all. Also a successful (profitable) MMO.

Maybe you were talking about something else?
220px-Forbidden-151987.svg.png

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
The lolz. I guess.

They are not going to continue this if they don't make much money. I expect this will only continue if the sales justify it.

Isn’t that business one o one? Of course they will only continue if it’s profitable, and why wouldn’t it?

ExpandKong

Banned
A wise old man made the most sense when he said "Artists no longer make movies, lawyers do."

I mean

I get where you’re coming from

but let’s not pretend that Spirits Within wasn’t doo doo butter

That’s all fine and dandy, but will we ever get Kingdom Hearts on PC?

“The heart may be weak, and sometimes it may even give in...but deep down, there’s a light that never goes out!”
- Sora Luther King Jr.

Last edited:

Link1110

Was it really? I never made that connection myself, but then Advent Children came out years after the last time I finished FF9. I keep trying to play through it again but I always get distracted and quit around Fossil Roo.
It was never used in the series before FF9 where it was a really big deal, then AC uses it again but it never comes up again in the main series. I always interpreted it as a rip off of a much better FF.

cireza

Banned
I didn't get the entire thing. Could someone explain?
Looks like Sony had quite a lot of shares from Square-Enix and then opposed to the release of some ports or remasters of FF games on Xbox/Nintendo. 2014 they sold the shares, so Square-Enix were free to do what they wanted again, thus the games arriving on Xbox One and Switch.

Last edited:

Gander

Banned
I'm of the mindset that when the gaming industry is more competitive we as gamers get better more diverse products. That said I'd like to see MS be more competitive with exclusives whether they be from Japan or not.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Well then, let's talk about when Xbox going to get Dragon Quest XI. I currently enjoying crap out the game on my PS4 and I want to see more people enjoy the game as well.

The truth is I just want to see the game sell crazy well so we will see more mainline DQ games in west.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned

How dare you talk that way about one if the best games of all time. The way that game was set up, purposely or not, paved the way for the most meaningful relationships in an online community.

hecatomb

Banned
How dare you talk that way about one if the best games of all time. The way that game was set up, purposely or not, paved the way for the most meaningful relationships in an online community.
FF11 was a mmo thats the problem, I remember playing world of warcraft and trying some other mmos and hating all of them. I don't really need to explain why MMOrgps are bad. Also my friend was telling me how bad it was, and it was a bad version of world of warcraft. And there was a ton of level grinding that takes forever. The menu system was also trash, and it just did not look fun at all. Im so glad ill never play that game, I wanted a real rpg, not a lame MMO. Problems to with MMOs is they need to have servers to keep the game alive, while rpgs don't, and have a lot better single player mode. It will never be as good as the older FF games ever, FF6 and 7 are still the best.

At least they came out with Kingdom hearts after a trash mmo

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
FF11 was a mmo thats the problem, I remember playing world of warcraft and trying some other mmos and hating all of them. I don't really need to explain why MMOrgps are bad. Also my friend was telling me how bad it was, and it was a bad version of world of warcraft. And there was a ton of level grinding that takes forever. The menu system was also trash, and it just did not look fun at all. Im so glad ill never play that game, I wanted a real rpg, not a lame MMO. Problems to with MMOs is they need to have servers to keep the game alive, while rpgs don't, and have a lot better single player mode. It will never be as good as the older FF games ever, FF6 and 7 are still the best.

I do not mean to offend your friend or you, but I disagree strongly... from someone who is also quite not fond of MMO’s, FFXI was perhaps the best one I have tried and I followed it from PS2 to Xbox 360... would have followed it to PS4, but they decided to have FFXIV which, even though it has been redeemed over its launch version, just is not as fun as I remember FFXI being (it is still really really well done though).

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
They could have made WoFF for the Switch since then I guess seeing how Sony didn't own any Squeenix stock then...

WaterAstro

Uh so who is this dude? Doesn't seem anything significant. He says some things we already know, then makes random speculations with "none of this is confirmed" to cover his ass.

Not newsworthy imo.

Last edited:

hecatomb

Banned
I do not mean to offend your friend or you, but I disagree strongly... from someone who is also quite not fond of MMO’s, FFXI was perhaps the best one I have tried and I followed it from PS2 to Xbox 360... would have followed it to PS4, but they decided to have FFXIV which, even though it has been redeemed over its launch version, just is not as fun as I remember FFXI being (it is still really really well done though).
I already mentioned the problem with MMOS, you need a lot of people to play them, you also need servers to keep the game from dying. Its also a bad ver of world of warcraft. Once the servers shut down, and once people stop playing a MMO it just dies. Thats why MMOs are trash. MMOs are also trash cause they require you to do some of the most boring quest that don't add much to the story. Theres also no reason to play FF11 over world of warcraft.

Last edited:

TaroYamada

WOW came two years later, and frankly did a lot of the same things FF11 already did, I preferred FF11 personally.

Why Square Enix forgot to release the final fantasy franchise for the xbox Nintendo answered.

What about Final Fantasy XI (MMO)? They released it on the Xbox 360.
Square specifically addressed that one game's reason for no ports. It skipped the original Xbox because of the smaller 8GB HDD, and the Wii because of its reliance on friends code (that said the GC had some online games without any problem and Capcom had Monster Hunter 3 using their own servers after that).

It seems whatever problems Square had with Nintendo for an MMO were solved by the time Dragon Quest X came, since that used its own external 16GB storage for the Wii and had a lot of online features coded by Nintendo on an OS level specifically for DQX. But on the other hand, Microsoft lost Final Fantasy XIV because they became less flexible with Square and insisted on no crossplatform online multiplayer.

Microsoft tried to have their replacements for the Final Fantasy games made (Blue Dragon, Lost Odyessy), and to buy temporary exclusivity for Star Ocean 4 and the Last Remnant. Just like most third-party JRPGs part of the Microsoft timed 360 exclusivity, that had disastrous results for their sales (even killed the Far East of Eden franchise) because the console is dead in Japan and the western audience let the developers down, hard.

Square's last stand on Microsoft consoles was on the Xbox One. After Final Fantasy XIII's trilogy, they still brought Final Fantasy Type-0, Final Fantasy XV and the sales were still not satisfactory enough for that first batch (Type-0's performance in Japan convinced them to drop the console there for good), not to mention Microsoft's retarded policy of not allowing late ports at all (unless Microsoft is the one desperate to make them happen, as seen with NieR: Automata) so bringing the older games simply wasn't in the cards.

Microsoft is sadly still a non factor for Japanese RPG developers. Western consumers won't support them on their systems, and the console is such an abject failure in Japan even Steam is doing far better than it there (respectable numbers even). Microsoft's minimal print run, content policies for late ports that extend to what content the other versions get and their lack of support for publishers will ensure that will remain the case.

The only Nintendo consoles where ports of these games were viable enough, (meaning powerful enough, and commercially successful enough,) were the Wii and the Switch. For whatever reason (most probably Square's relationship with Nintendo at the time) it only got side games, a very rushed final Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (because Square simply didn't care) and games relevant to the Japanese market (DQ, Chunsoft's Chocobo's Dungeon) and that was it.

The Sony exclusivity theory could be still true.

It was confirmed that Square and Sony signed some exclusivity contract of some sort keeping their games (at the very least those made for the PlayStation 1 during that timeframe) console exclusive to the PS1, and that included new Final Fantasy games even at the time X and X-2 was pumped out. The Bandai WonderSwan handheld did receive Final Fantasy ports for 1, 2, and 4 (3 was planned but cancelled) to compete against the Game Boy Color and destroy it, but the device itself had Sony's blessing and those were older games.
After the GBA came, Square wanted to port those ports but Nintendo (Yamauchi) wouldn't even give them the development kits (they already told them to go and never come back after FF7, which was actually Square's fault because after they parted ways with Nintendo on good terms they started convincing other developers to drop the N64 for the PS1) unless they did a Final Fantasy for the GameCube, and after the former executive who signed the PS1 exclusivity was gone. So they set a shell company to "develop" and publish the game, and licensed the Final Fantasy name to it, in order to make Crystal Chronicles 1, a Nintendo-exclusive.

Whatever exclusivity clause was there was no more for future games by the time FF3 and FF4 were remastered on the Nintendo DS and FF11 ported to X360. But it might have been still a thing for the previous games made in the PS1 era.
Moreover, Nintendo's "solution" to get Final Fantasy games again on their home consoles was not a good one in the long term by any stretch. They basically humiliated them into making two Crystal Chronicles games. Square just rushed the Wii one, and did the bare minimum amount of support, to just focus on the lucrative handheld market on GBA and DS with the bulk of their Nintendo third party support. It's worth knowing Yamauchi was still influential in Nintendo's decision making even after his retirement, well into the DS and Wii era.

One important exclusivity area: The godawful European translations for Final Fantasy VII were done by Sony, by the way. This might mean the game will finally get a proper retranslation.

It is still surprising to see most of the main Final Fantasy series on Nintendo consoles today (just like all of the Dragon Quest series is on theirs). You'd think with Sony's recent aggressive bankrolling and exclusivity deals for Final Fantasy XV, VII's remake, Dragon Quest XI, and Monster Hunter World, that Nintendo would get less support than before.

Last edited:

hecatomb

Banned
WOW came two years later, and frankly did a lot of the same things FF11 already did, I preferred FF11 personally.
so you are telling me I should just go back and play ff11 now? Why would I do that when I can just play WoW? Seems like the only reason why people like ff11 is cause it has the name final fantasy. Thats the problem you are missing, its really out dated game, theres no reason to play it. If I want a good FF experience ill play FF6 or 7. If I want a good MMO, ill play WoW. FF11 is just a sub par out dated game.

Last edited:

Castef

Banned
So , maybe that Kingdom Hearts collection could be heading to the console which is about to receive the third chapter?

Silvawuff

I never expected Spirits Within to skullscrew Square the way it did. I enjoyed it for what it was. I think the problem here was hamfisted marketing; it could probably have done better outside the moniker of a Final Fantasy thing and stood on its own. To that end...

I think FFXI as a game did a lot of good things and bad things, but all those things together helped shape the MMOscape as we see it today. Of course the real MMO-crazy forebear here was WoW. If you ask anyone who played Vanilla, they'll tell you it wasn't the franchise itself or even the game, but the time and place of which it existed. Both XI and WoW back then were tough as nails, unforgiving adventures that fostered a strong sense of community, friendship, and a burgeoning network of information sharing that made the games what they were. I would think of them less as one mainline franchise, but a collection of progressively different games all under the same banner (which, incidentally, also describes what Final Fantasy is).

This information is pretty interesting, and shows how one thing in the industry can drastically affect other things down the road.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I already mentioned the problem with MMOS, you need a lot of people to play them, you also need servers to keep the game from dying. Its also a bad ver of world of warcraft. Once the servers shut down, and once people stop playing a MMO it just dies. Thats why MMOs are trash. MMOs are also trash cause they require you to do some of the most boring quest that don't add much to the story. Theres also no reason to play FF11 over world of warcraft.
Dude, FFXI predate wow

Hudo

I fully expect the previous KH collections to appear on Xbox at some point. And maybe the HD remasters KH1 and KH2 on Switch, who knows.

Microsoft owners beg for Japanese games all the time now, but they have to make it worthwhile to the developers. Hopefully, they won’t ignore these games.

EDMIX

Microsoft owners beg for Japanese games all the time now, but they have to make it worthwhile to the developers. Hopefully, they won’t ignore these games.

Agreed.

All this will be based on if that install base actually even buys these games.

Castef

Banned
Agreed.

All this will be based on if that install base actually even buys these games.

1: Guys, it is not like Ni No Kuni 2 flew from the shelves with its PS4 edition, right?

2: If you do not publish certain genres of games on a console, how could the user base of that console get used to that kind of games?

EDMIX

1: Guys, it is not like Ni No Kuni 2 flew from the shelves with its PS4 edition, right?

2: If you do not publish certain genres of games on a console, how could the user base of that console get used to that kind of games?

Well its only on PS4 and PC for a reason, its not saying they "flew from shelves" but that their sales not doing so even more so justifies its limited release.

2. You can't put the cart before the horse, developers avoided and still avoid XB because it has low sales in the first place on those genres. If a install base wanted those games like on PS, you wouldn't be seeing FFXV moving more units to such a massive degree on PS. They just have different install bases.

Blame who you want, but developers have no ode to waste millions trying to force someone to buy a damn game they don't want to. Square will only continue if they see a strong response.

Pallas

Gold Member
Interesting tweets, I’m so happy that these classics are getting more exposure on multiple platforms now.

EDMIX

Ask me if I care? The game is out dated, even more out dated then some 8bit nes games. Man the FF fanbase some times lul. Just slap final fantasy on any game and its automatically good lul.

?? Well FFXI from what I hear isn't a bad MMO, in fact many see it as one of the best ever made. Has nothing to do with just having the name FF as I know some FFXI players that don't play the main series, they just like FFXI. So I don't play it, I don't expect you to play or like it or anything, but stop ignoring the success of the game for a personal or emotional issue.

Kacho

Gold Member
The most interesting part in those quotes is developers eager to get on Microsoft’s good side. Next gen will be fascinating.

Castef

Banned
Well its only on PS4 and PC for a reason, its not saying they "flew from shelves" but that their sales not doing so even more so justifies its limited release.

Nooope, nooope.

That one is an expensive game to develop and the fact it is being released on just PS4 and PC is NOT due to the fact that the publisher was expecting low sales.

EDMIX

Nooope, nooope.

That one is an expensive game to develop and the fact it is being released on just PS4 and PC is NOT due to the fact that the publisher was expecting low sales.

? Your own post doesn't really help. "expensive game to develop" so lets just make more versions on a system that historically sells less units of that genre?

Ummmm ok then.

It being expensive is likely why they limited its release to platforms they know they can move units on. Its easier for them to just port later using the funds from the PS4 and PC version then put all their eggs in 1 basket. You can keep saying 'nooope" all day but the fact remains that many, many, MANY Japaneses games don't appear on XONE based on knowing it won't sell as good as the other platforms, so many just can't afford to make a XONE version knowing that information.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Sounds like "tales from my ass" vol. 13 to me.

How many of SE's other properties were ported to other platforms prior to this gen when the similar x64 tech of PS4/Xbone/PC made it relatively cost-effective to do so?

Lets face it, the only reason this is happening is because the existing PS4 versions make porting to Xbone cheap, and in the case of the Switch, Nintendo are finally offering a platform with sufficient power to allow access to the portable market without having to basically rebuild each title from scratch.

As to the "eager to get on MS good side" thing. Why now exactly as opposed to last gen? Because let's face it their marketshare hasn't improved dramatically, and sorry but Xbox remains a distant third in their domestic and continental markets with zero reason to expect a sea change after 3 generations being rejected in Asia.

Last edited:

Castef

Banned
? Your own post doesn't really help. "expensive game to develop" so lets just make more versions on a system that historically sells less units of that genre?

Ummmm ok then.

No. I mean, that a good japanese game struggled on the platform which should be way more compatible with it, in terms of install base.

EDMIX

No. I mean, that a good japanese game struggled on the platform which should be way more compatible with it, in terms of install base.

Oh, so spend more money to put it on a platform that sells even LESS of that genre?

PS sells more JRPGs, as in MORE in comparison to XB. Thus it selling low units on PS, is reason enough to not have a XB version especially from a smaller publisher. Again, you are proving why such a thing wouldn't normally happen.

Top Bottom