• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why the DS Rocks - Official Game Recommendation Thread

Deku

Banned
TheOneGuy said:
ethelred am winnar

*bookmarks thread*

Someone should do a thread EXACTLY LIKE THIS for PSP. For when I get mine. Doooo eeeet.

There's actually a few of them floating around.

No one's bothered to do one for the DS until now.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Should I make a second post apologizing for not buying Front Mission?

I think I should, so here it is. I apologize to the entire gaming community for not buying Front Mission.

DiddyBop

goodness,so many great games are set to be released. nice to see time hollow is being released here,doesnt seem liek the type of game that would usually see the light of day here.

Meloche

Amazing thread. As soon as I saw this I had this huge list of games that felt deserved to be on here pop into my head, but by the time I got down to the end the only notable game that I felt was missing would be Contact. I looked around and found the official thread as well as a hands-on thread, both from gaf, in case you want to add it to the list. There's a few more possible additions that could be made [A Link to the Snitch listed some good ones], and Diddy Kong Racing DS isn't bad as far as DS racing games go, but overall this is an incredibly detailed list of awesome awesome games, and a pretty good reminder why the DS is currently the best selling system of the current hardware generation. Go DS!

As an aside, this thread also served as a nice refresher on some of the upcoming DS releases. I wasn't aware DS was getting a new Dodgeball game, for example, and I'd also completely forgotten about that new Kirby game that's coming out for the DS.

Jirotrom

wow Ethelred... I think you just gave confirmation that DS is the system this gen. The Culdcept ds pictures made me wet myself:D

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Amazing thread. I dread to even think of how long it took to make that list.

Definitive proof that the DS is the best console out there currently? :D

Jiggy

Meloche said:
I'd also completely forgotten about that new Kirby game that's coming out for the DS.
Well, new and old--it's a remake of Kirby Super Star, AKA pound-for-pound the finest overall sidescrolling experience that Nintendo ever put out. ("Overall" since Super Metroid is better for single-player but lacks co-op. Incidentally, I've probably said my opinion about this on GAF numerous times, but I don't remember when and where, so I might as well repeat it.)

Iam Canadian

Himuro said:
I guess it depends on your perspective. Personally, a lot of the games on that list aren't even great. Mega Man ZX? Mega Man ZXA? Sonic Rush? Hotel Dusk? New Super Mario Bros.?

DS has a lot of games, that's true, but I don't think the quality is up there.

I'd call all of those games great, except for maybe Hotel Dusk as I haven't played it. But the DS lineup is right in line with my interests. I love 2D gaming, especially sidescrollers, RPGs, and shmups, and the DS is the last major bastion for those genres (except RPGs, but the DS is delivering them better than any other system this gen, except maybe the PSP).

Jiggy

Himuro said:
I guess it depends on your perspective. Personally, a lot of the games on that list aren't even great. Mega Man ZX? Mega Man ZXA? Sonic Rush? Hotel Dusk? New Super Mario Bros.?

DS has a lot of games, that's true, but I don't think the quality is up there.
Well, there are certainly a decent number of GAF fans for all of the above--except possibly MMZXA. And since it's a game recommendation thread probably meant to appeal to as many tastes as possible, the list seems fine to me.

Hereafter

ethelred said:
Awesome post

Can you add another section? Edutainment perhaps? BT, BT2, BBA, Flash Focus, My Words Coach, Chessmaster: The Art of Learning, Quickspot, are all pretty good.

I didn't see Cooking Mama 2 in there. Did I miss it? It's a fun little game.

Can you also add Draglade to fighting and Puzzle Quest to RPG or Puzzle? Izuna is also a decent Rogue-like game.

Iam Canadian

Jiggy37 said:
Well, there are certainly a decent number of GAF fans for all of the above--except possibly MMZXA. And since it's a game recommendation thread probably meant to appeal to as many tastes as possible, the list seems fine to me.

You can count me as a Mega Man ZX: Advent fan. I enjoyed it quite a bit, despite the excessive amount of useless transformations.

ethelred

Jiggy37 said:
And it turns out that the only things missing from this awesome, awesome thread fall into one of these categories:
-Games that I'm sure you would have put in if they had any media released (Dragon Quest VI, Sonic RPG, the third DS Castlevania)

Correct. I only included games where official media's been released, so no DQVI, no Sonic RPG, no Silver Case DS.

Jiggy37 said:
-Ports (mostly Mario 64)

Right again. It was a conscious decision on my part to exclude ports of old games except when there are really truly significant revisions or when the DS version is the first (or potentially first) version to be localized. So no to Mario 64, yes to Front Mission and Phoenix Wright.

Beezy said:
Why is Trauma Center and Feel the Magic under puzzle games?

I was going to put the CVs under ARPG just to piss you off.

Himuro said:

The only two of those I've played are Hotel Dusk and NSMB, and I think both are great. Tastes vary, obviously. I haven't played and have no personal interest in the vast majority of games in here, but I think the lineup as a whole is very strong with a lot of great games. And I mainly made an effort to include only those games that have been favorably reviewed or that have received largely positive reaction on GAF or elsewhere.

Meloche

Jiggy37 said:
Well, new and old--it's a remake of Kirby Super Star, AKA pound-for-pound the finest overall sidescrolling experience that Nintendo ever put out. ("Overall" since Super Metroid is better for single-player but lacks co-op. Incidentally, I've probably said my opinion about this on GAF numerous times, but I don't remember when and where, so I might as well repeat it.)
I vaguely remember hearing about it now -- pretty sure it was announced at Nintendo's Fall 2007 Press Conference in Japan, no? I think at the time I wasn't clear on whether it was a remake or an entirely new game, so I think that's why I kind of put it aside and forgot about it. They've basically been releasing a Kirby game a year since 2003 [and almost that rate before then]... as much as I love the franchise, it's just too often for me.

This, on the other hand, will be a must buy, for both Virtual Console and DS. Not sure if I'd agree with you on it being the absolute finest sidescroller Nintendo's ever made [multiplayer co-op or not I'd put Super Mario World above it, and Super Metroid above that], but certainly one of the best and easily the best Kirby game ever made. Luckily we're finally getting a spiritual sequel to the game after so many years, but I guess that's a conversation more suited to the Smash Bros Dojo thread. :0)

JaCy

Fantastic list, there are just too many games and so little time.

and when did they announce Viva Pinata for the DS? I just got the 360 game and love it. It'll be sweet to be able to play VP on the go. :D

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Luminous Arc is fairly above average, and I've heard some good things about Hoshigami Remix, maybe add those? But then again, I'm a rabid srpg fan, so I might be biased here. heh

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
ethelred: if you don't mind doing it again, this kind of thread twice every year or so would be great, I think.

And please add Ultimate Mortal Kombat in the fighting games list so it's going to look a least a lil bit better than it is now :lol

:(

Better thread should be good DS games people havent heard of. there are just too many hidden gems on DS, imo.

but i refuse to sell out and make that thread.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
GREAT thread. The DS rocks indeed.

EDIT: You should add Puzzle Quest, even with gimped graphics it's still very good.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
DKnight said:
GREAT thread. The DS rocks indeed.

EDIT: You should add Puzzle Quest, even with gimped graphics it's still very good.

My favorite version

Puzzle Quest, Drawn to Life, and Contact should be listed and MM ZX Advent I guess

HK-47 said:
My favorite version

Puzzle Quest, Drawn to Life, and Contact should be listed and MM ZX Advent I guess

MMZXA is listed, and ethelred already stated specifically that he isn't adding ports unless there's a somewhat compelling reason behind it.

Salazar

NY Times Crosswords (I picked it up today) is truly wonderful, but I can't help wanting Euro papers to get in on the act. Does anyone know or have an educated or strong opinion on whether copycat releases are likely ? Thing sold / is selling well enough, right ?

Xater

This thread just reminded me that most of the stuff I want to play (the RPGs) will take a while to be playable in a language that I can understand. :(

Totally forgot about Front Mission though. Will import now!

Xater

Danj said:
I don't suppose there's a British English equivalent to this yet?

Anyway, awesome thread, I will definitely have a look at picking up some of the titles listed here.

I guess you can always import it.

I only know of this game with crosswords from the "Sueddeutsche Zeitung". It's in 5 languages so that maybe interesting too.

51VA6Sn78rL._SS500_.jpg

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Pureauthor said:
MMZXA is listed, and ethelred already stated specifically that he isn't adding ports unless there's a somewhat compelling reason behind it.

I didnt see Advent the first time, and Puzzle Quest isnt an old port

Needs more Worms 2, MP DS, Araknoid DS, Pokemon MD, Trace Memory and Cooking Mama 1+2

I'm also guessing we are just leaving out any Training type games

It is a great thread though, very nice formatting.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
A Link to the Snitch said:
Games I think should warrant inclusion:

My Frogger Toy Trials
Master of Illusion
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team
Pokémon Ranger
Super Mario 64 DS
Mario Party DS
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08
Viewtiful Joe: Double Trouble
Bomberman Land Touch! (honestly now, no Bomberman Land Touch!?)
Bomberman Land Touch! 2
Bomberman Story DS
Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day!
Brain Age 2: More Training in Minutes a Day!
Custom Robo Arena
Drawn to Life
My Word Coach
Trace Memory
The Rub Rabbits! (better than FtM in every way)
SimCity DS
Brothers in Arms DS
Over the Hedge

Snitch! You are awesome!

ethelred

Yeah, by all means, feel free to make recommendations. That's what it's for. If enough people encourage a particular game, I can add that. Though I'm not touching most of Snitch's list. There are cult hits, sure, but games scoring aggregates in the 50's are a little below that threshold.

Adumaha said:
Luminous Arc is fairly above average, and I've heard some good things about Hoshigami Remix, maybe add those? But then again, I'm a rabid srpg fan, so I might be biased here. heh

I will accept a imprisonment in a Turkish dungeon before I add Hoshitgami to anything.

Vic said:
ethelred: if you don't mind doing it again, this kind of thread twice every year or so would be great, I think.

Twice a year? Wouldn't it be easier to just update this thread?

Danj

PirateSean said:
One coming out in 08 (Crossword Challenge), but its endorsed by the scummy Sun, so I wont be purchasing it.

Urgh, yeah, Daily Mail or The Times crosswords would be better.

egocrata

Banned
Syth_Blade22 said:
Excellento threado

This is just what i need, now to pose a question.

My mother is obsessed with phantom hourglass, has finished it twice and is on her third play through.

I need to find a game like it, control wise. She enjoys the whole touch screen intereactivity thing, are there any other games, rpgs, platformers, that do not require the use of buttons?

edit: trauma centre looks like a viable option.

Kirby (the first one, all touch) or Yoshi Touch and Go.

Top Bottom