• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why the DS Rocks - Official Game Recommendation Thread

Jeff-DSA

I play my DS...a lot.

stack.jpg

And that's with a few missing from each stack, but the most missing from the DS stack.

Well, DQIV is a must for me.

Then there's Lock's Quest and Kirby Super Ultra, pending the funds for me.

And then there's Disgaea which I don't really care for, but it's got a pretty nice fan following here...

Viva Pinata for sure

then DQIV, Kirby, Lego Batman, Unsolved crimes and Broken Sword (which is supposed to come out sept 2, wtf?)

most will depend upon reviews, obviously

Fireblend

Banned
Alright, I had forgotten DQIV was out this month. Glad I'm already done with FFIV and all ready for a new RPG to mess with my academic record. :D :D And I've been playing Kirby Squeak Squad and could definitely use the Superstar remake. Good things to come :D

jax (old)

Banned
Jeff-DSA said:
I play my DS...a lot.

stack.jpg

And that's with a few missing from each stack, but the most missing from the DS stack.

HOLYSHIT. I'm down to 3 DS titles myself. Did a fire sale - only own Onedan 1 + 2 castlevanias now. What DS titles do you have?

CASTLEVANIS ON DS = SEX!

Aeana

September: Dragon Quest 4 NA, Kirby Super Star Ultra, Knights in the Nightmare, World Destruction, and then VP DS pokes its head in on 10/2. I still haven't decided on Knights in the Nightmare, actually.

If it's anything like other ST!NG handheld games, it will be brilliantly designed, meticulously crafted, with a wondrous soundtrack, and utterly unable to be enjoyed properly unless you sit in front of GameFAQS throughout the duration of your playthrough.

Jeff-DSA said:
I play my DS...a lot.

a lot of games[IMG]

And that's with a few missing from each stack, but the most missing from the DS stack.[/QUOTE]
Clearly your PSP deserves more love than that :(.

(PS3 too imo, but that's arguable)

I think I'm getting DQ4. And there's a lot of stuff I'm interested in, but I'm definitely not getting this year: Broken Sword (wth? A new one? A port of what version?), new Puzzle Quest, Exit DS, N+, Chrono Trigger, Disgaea DS & Age of Mythologies.

Right now I'm enjoying Puzzle Quest Challenge of the Warlords and Civilization Revolution (I like it even better than console version which I have too, it's so convenient to be able to play it everywhere and it's sleep mode is a god send!) I've also played until the second case in Phoenix Wright Justice for All, but I really think I should play the first one first... Too bad the eBay seller didn't have it in stock while I paid and waited four weeks for it. But I really like what I've played so far, so definitely getting the rest of the parts sometime in the future.

Anybody still curious about Master of Monster Lair that Atlus is bringing to the states fairly soon? I noticed it wasn't included in the upcoming RPG'ish listing via battlewaffle.

I've had good luck with Atlus games lately, and all things considered, I'm leaning heavily towards buying it as something a bit different. Figure From the Abyss will last me at least the month or so until it comes out.

JaMarco

Pureauthor said:
and utterly unable to be enjoyed properly unless you sit in front of GameFAQS throughout the duration of your playthrough.
i played completely through both Riveria and Yggdra Union without a faq just fine :eek:

ElectricThunder said:
Anybody still curious about Master of Monster Lair that Atlus is bringing to the states fairly soon? I noticed it wasn't included in the upcoming RPG'ish listing via battlewaffle.

I've had good luck with Atlus games lately, and all things considered, I'm leaning heavily towards buying it as something a bit different. Figure From the Abyss will last me at least the month or so until it comes out.
It hasnt received much hype from those on gaf who play lots of rpgs, so I will defer to them on it. Its more of a dungeon creation game than a straight up rpg.

FIRE EMBLEM DS
Developer: Intelligent Systems
Publisher: Nintendo
US Release: TBA
More info/Media: http://ds.ign.com/objects/142/14209935.html

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
Developer: Rockstar Leeds
Publisher: Rockstar Games
US Release:
More info/Media: http://ds.ign.com/objects/142/14266989.html

Retro Game Challenge aka GAME CENTER CX
Developer: Namco
Publisher: XSEED
More info/Media: http://ds.ign.com/objects/959/959827.html

• read the 1up preview
• read Chris Kohler's article
• read Kohler's impressions
• read the GAF thread

Rhythm Heaven
Developer: Nintendo
US Release:
More info/Media: http://ds.ign.com/objects/142/14256704.html

None of these supposedly 2008 games have release dates afaik. If that is still the case by the end of september just assume they've been delayed to '09.

Fireblend said:
So what's on everyone's september must-get or worth-checking-out list (NA releases, preferably)?

Mazes of Fate and Dinosaur King both look like they'll be my big DS purchases for the month.

A big maaaaaaaaybe to Kirby, Dragon Quest IV, and Air Traffic Chaos.

Fuzz Rez

Banned
My DS has been gathering dust for too long so I decided to go back to the party. Just ordered Bangai-o Spirits, DQIV, Front Mission and Metroid Prime Fusion. These should keep me busy until new Castlevania game and flower sun and rain (that suda51 game).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Christopher said:
Does the DS even have that many good games?? Geeze

The only turds I'm seeing there are Nintendogs, Assassin's Creed DS, Bomberman, and maybe Namco Museum. I don't recognize a few in the right-hand pile though. I've got essentially double that many DS games (109 right now, a few in the mail, and I see 45 games overlapping between mine and his) and I've got probably fewer than a dozen shitty games for the system.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Stumpokapow said:
The only turds I'm seeing there are Nintendogs, Assassin's Creed DS, Bomberman, and maybe Namco Museum. I don't recognize a few in the right-hand pile though. I've got essentially double that many DS games (109 right now, a few in the mail, and I see 45 games overlapping between mine and his) and I've got probably fewer than a dozen shitty games for the system.

Nintendogs is a turd? Didnt expect that from you Stumpy

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
HK-47 said:
Nintendogs is a turd? Didnt expect that from you Stumpy

I know it's well made for what it is, but I'm on the wrong side of 20 years old--let alone the wrong side of 10 years old--to really enjoy any pet-related video game.

Out of fairness to Jeff-DSA, here's what I've got (missing: Super Princess Peach, Sim City DS):
WoYZWhQ.jpg

FOy4ruw.jpg

(Imports: Stafy 4, theta, Simple Series DS 31, Simple Series DS 32, Slide Adventure Mag Kid, Yosumin, Ouendan 2)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Death_Born said:
My Spanish Coach? Did you buy it because of that cutscene or what?

You're thinking of "Spanish for Everyone". My Spanish Coach is serious... or at the very least not racist :p. It was given to me as a gift because I am working on learning Spanish, and it's somewhat harder to learn Spanish here than it is in America because almost no one speaks it, so girlfriend thought it would be of quite some use. Other than the UGLY UI it's not half-bad.

Stumpokapow said:
You're thinking of "Spanish for Everyone". My Spanish Coach is serious... or at the very least not racist :p. It was given to me as a gift because I am working on learning Spanish, and it's somewhat harder to learn Spanish here than it is in America because almost no one speaks it, so girlfriend thought it would be of quite some use. Other than the UGLY UI it's not half-bad.

OIC...

But Ping Pals? I hope you got that as a gift.....even if that gift was stupid......

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Death_Born said:
But Ping Pals? I hope you got that as a gift.....even if that gift was stupid......

Ping Pals was sort of a novelty gag buy at $2.99. Sprung was bought for around the same price. Turn it Around was $0.99. Bubble Bobble Revolution was a gift from someone who knew I liked Bubble Bobble but didn't know that's a weak version of it. I think every other game was either a well-received gift or a serious, intentional purchase.

vareon

Since this is the Official Game Recommendation Thread, this might be the best place to ask. GAF, can you help me decide which from the 4 games I'll buy? I can only buy one now :

Advance Wars : Days of Ruin
+ I've been itching for a strategy game since I played Fire Emblem : Radiant Dawn on Wii, and looks like this game can let me have many hours of portable gaming fun.
- I didn't finish the first Advance Wars on GBA and I prefer FE-like settings, not to mention FE might get localized soon.

Hotel Dusk
+ I want to try a unique game that can only be done on DS, looks like this is one game I should try.
- While adventure games are my favorite, mystery games are not. Afraid I'll get bored in a few hours or so.

Professor Layton and The Curious Village
+ Same as Hotel Dusk, only I liked the art direction more.
- Zero replay value?

Rune Factory : A Fantasy Harvest Moon.
+ Huge Harvest Moon fan, I'll definitely liked it. Not to mention that this seems to be the best HM on DS.
- Rune Factory 2 is coming very soon. I might as well wait for the second game.

I'll be really grateful if you can recommend other games as long as they're not RPG or action games. Thanks! :D Older games are preferred.

Apenheul

vareon said:
Since this is the Official Game Recommendation Thread, this might be the best place to ask. GAF, can you help me decide which from the 4 games I'll buy? I can only buy one now :

Well first of all, Professor Layton and Hotel Dusk have very little in common. I don't think Professor Layton shows unique things you can do with the DS, Hotel Dusk does but only a few times. The former is a ton-of-puzzles game with a good production values and a surprisingly nice story, the latter is a mystery point & click adventure (also with a good story imo). I'm a huge fan of both games though, still I would recommend Layton over Dusk. So... make it Professor Layton :)

blanky

I am getting my gf a DS with 2 games for her birthday. But I'm still really unsure on what to get her, I don't want to spoil too much to her so I can't ask her too much. She played Zelda on the 64 and Ages of Empires on her PC a long time ago. So I thought of getting her Phantom Glass and Viva Pinata DS but that's probably localized which is a problem. So I was thinking of Ace Attorney Trials and Tribulations, or any other game. But I don't know any fun games on the ds, and i'm really looking for something fun and not too convoluted. Help me out please? :(

Banned
any RPG recommendations? Played World Ends, which was ok. Kind of keen to play a Final Fantasy, haven't played one since VII, is III or IV the better one?

Apenheul

I recommend Anno 1701 for DS. I bought it to play on vacation and it's simply great. The controls are very good, this is how a DS RTS or sim should play, and on top of that the game is nice and deep. Think of it as an Age of Empires meets Sim City (yes realtime) with emphasis on building and resource management.

666 said:
any RPG recommendations? Played World Ends, which was ok. Kind of keen to play a Final Fantasy, haven't played one since VII, is III or IV the better one?

IV is more difficult but significantly better IMO.

verbatimo

My small collection. Sorry about the crappy photo.

vifeax.jpg

GRID is pretty good racing game for the ds. Lot's of cars and tracks, visual department is also quite good.
Patiently waiting my Castlevania Ooe from play-asia. Until then GRID and Etrian Odyssey keeps me warm. :D

xfactor

Banned
DS Games to look out for(year 2009 and beyond)

ACTION & ACTION ADVENTURE

Elebits: Adventures of Kai & Zero
Developer: Konami
Publisher: Konami
US Release: 06 Jan

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown War
Developer: Rockstar Leeds / Rockstar North
Publisher: Rockstar Games
US Release: Feb

Ghostbusters: The Video Game
Developer: Red Fly Studio
Publisher: Atari
US Release: Q1 2009

Retro Game Challenge
Developer: Bandai Namco
Publisher: XSEED Games

Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings
Developer: Activision
Publisher: Activision

PUZZLE

Puchi Puchi Virus
Developer: Jaleco Entertainment
Publisher: TBA
US Release: 27 Jan

Puzzle Quest: Galactrix
Developer: Infinite Interactive
Publisher: D3 Publisher

RPG & ACTION RPG

Legacy of Ys: Books I & II
Developer: Falcom
Publisher: Atlus Co.
US Release: 10 Feb

DRAGON QUEST V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride
Developer: ArtePiazza
Publisher: Square-Enix
US Release: 17 Feb

Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume
Developer: Tri-Ace
US Release: 17 Mar

Suikoden Tierkreis
Developer: Konami
Publisher: Konami
US Release: Mar

Dragon Quest IX: Guard of the Starry Night
Developer: Level-5
US Release:Q1 2009

Blue Dragon Plus
Developer: Mistwalker
Publisher: AQ Interactive
US Release: 24 Feb

Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Reverie
Developer: Level-5
US Release:TBA

Pokemon Platinum
Developer: Game Freak

Phantasy Star Zero
Developer: Sonic Team
Publisher: Sonic Team

Infinite Space
Developer: Platinum Games
Publisher: Sega
US Release: 24 Mar

Avalon Code
Developer: Matrix
Publisher: Marvelous

MISCELLANEOUS

Flower, Sun, and Rain
Genre: Adventure
Developer: Grasshopper Manufacture
Publisher: Victor Interactive

Moon
Genre: FPS
Developer: Renegade Kid
Publisher: Mastiff
US Release: 09 Jan

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
Genre: Strategy
Developer: Intelligent Systems

Rhythm Heaven
Genre: Rhythm
Developer: R&D1

de Blob
Genre: Platformer
Developer: Helixe
Publisher: THQ

NO ENGLISH ANNOUNCEMENT YET
- ASH [RPG]
- Tales of Hearts [RPG]
- Shining Force Feather [Strategy]
- RIZ-ZOAWD [RPG]
- Destiny Links [RPG]
- Manhattan of Requiem ~ Kiss of Murder DS [Adventure]
- Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days [Action RPG]
- Ragnarok Online DS [RPG]
- Final Fantasy Fables: Cid and Chocobo's Dungeon [Action RPG]
- Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales -- The Witch, the Girl, and the Five Heroes [Adventure]
- Professor Layton and Pandora's Box [Puzzle]
- Professor Layton and the Last Time Travel [Puzzle]
- Gyakuten Kenji [Adventure]
- Ace Attorney 5 [Visual Novel Text Adventure]
- Soma Bringer
- 7th Dragon [RPG]
- Ni no Kuni: The Another World
- Devil Survivor [RPG]
- Inazuma Eleven 2: Kyoui no Shinryokusha [Sports]

xfactor said:
DS Games to look out for(year 2009 and beyond)

The lack of Elite Beat Agents 2, F-Zero DS, New Super Mario Bros. 2, Mario Tennis DS, and Mario Golf DS disturbs me. Release those games in 2009 and call it a day.

Hive

Banned
Gamecocks625 said:
The lack of Elite Beat Agents 2, F-Zero DS, New Super Mario Bros. 2, Mario Tennis DS, and Mario Golf DS disturbs me. Release those games in 2009 and call it a day.

haha! Wow, we have the exact same ideas!

I can't believe there hasn't been a good golf game on the DS yet.. for shame!

Good tennis games for the DS are out there, though~

Hive said:
haha! Wow, we have the exact same ideas!

I can't believe there hasn't been a good golf game on the DS yet.. for shame!

Good tennis games for the DS are out there, though~

I tell you what. Nintendo should release Mario Tennis and Mario Golf along side the DSi North America launch with the ability to import your face onto a character or some crazy idea like that. Or to feature EBA2 with improved sound. Surely, Reggie and Co. have to be thinking of these type of things. If not, sign me up for director of Nintendo North America.

Hive

Banned
Gamecocks625 said:
I tell you what. Nintendo should release Mario Tennis and Mario Golf along side the DSi North America launch with the ability to import your face onto a character or some crazy idea like that. Or to feature EBA2 with improved sound. Surely, Reggie and Co. have to be thinking of these type of things. If not, sign me up for director of Nintendo North America.

okay, but no more crossword puzzle games. I have 3 already :lol

And you can't be director until you first go play Anno 1701~

xfactor

Banned
Gamecocks625 said:

Its to prevent the trolls from going "oMg m0r3 m@ri0 r3hash!!!1!!" i guess.

Emotions

NOA should have picked up ASH,Soma Bringer,Glory of Heracles, Card Hero, Inzuma Eleven and Layton 2 long time ago.... Dunno what's up with their localization crew.
Scamco will probably pass on Tales of Innocence
and Hearts localizations.... they suck.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Stumpokapow said:
I know it's well made for what it is, but I'm on the wrong side of 20 years old--let alone the wrong side of 10 years old--to really enjoy any pet-related video game.

Out of fairness to Jeff-DSA, here's what I've got (missing: Super Princess Peach, Sim City DS):
NPGTtXB.jpg

(Imports: Stafy 4, theta, Simple Series DS 31, Simple Series DS 32, Slide Adventure Mag Kid, Yosumin, Ouendan 2)

Wow, you have Prism: Light the Skies... pretty cool game if I do say so myself... not sure if anybody else on here has played it though.

Shatai

Banned
For me, it was like gaming took a nosedive when the era of the N64 and PSX came into play. I remember being the bitter kid who cursed the N64's name every time I saw it taking up valuable pages of Nintendo Power that could be better devoted to SNES or even Gameboy games. Even when I rented, then owned one, I kept that sentiment going strong. The SNES platform was a golden age.

The DS is the second coming. Between the just plain fun games, the platformers, and the wide selection of RPGs, it really is just a second golden age for gaming. Even though I have sunk like a grand into PS3 games and who knows how much into PC gaming, I can say with honesty that if I got burglarized or my house burned down and claimed my whole gamer stash, I would probably only really be able to find the money and interest to get back into the DS.

Has anyone played Call of Duty: World at War? It just came out and was wondering if it's any good for multiplayer. I saw that it got good reviews.

Top Bottom