• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why The DualSense Could Be The Best PC Controller Ever

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I have a Dual Sense I bought for my gaming PC. Playing Witcher 3 on it. It’s nice. I bought it to game on and it’d be awesome if Sony created proper drivers and developers implemented proper support for its haptics. Highly unlikely but eh.

MrFunSocks

Banned
No back paddles and dpad in primary thumb position = no.

Elite controller still the best controller ever released. Seriously. Anyone that hasn’t tried one but dismisses it is only hurting themselves.

Last edited:
I liked it a lot at first and this is probably due to my old age but the controller makes my hands kinda go numb when playing a game that uses the vibration a lot.

It’s almost the same feeling I get when using a Jack hammer for long periods.

I really hope it becomes a thing, but I suspect it will be dead in a year or so, except for Sony fp games. I don't think regular dev teams have the will to implement these sort of things or maybe the imagination, how to use them well, like in Astro

MrFunSocks

Banned
I really hope it becomes a thing, but I suspect it will be dead in a year or so, except for Sony fp games. I don't think regular dev teams have the will to implement these sort of things or maybe the imagination, how to use them well, like in Astro
The thing is that there aren’t really too many things that make sense to have adjustable tension on triggers for games. Making triggers harder to press for different guns, sure - but I damn well don’t want that in a multiplayer game. Would be turned off instantly. I guess you could make it harder to press the brake and accelerator in racing games, but that’s pretty pointless since it would just be a set level per car.

Honestly it just seems like project soli on the pixel 4 - something that’s cool in theory, cool tech, but has been put into a device where it really hasn’t got any worthwhile uses.

Chukhopops

Back when this thread was made I didn’t have a chance to try it, now I did and I have to say I hate how soft and mushy the buttons and dpad feel on it, especially compared to the Series dpad. I wouldn’t want to play platformers on it for example.

The sticks are slightly better than the DS4 ones and gyro is always good (I wish it was supported by all manufacturers) but that’s it really.

Of course that’s just an opinion - but I’m staying on Team Clicky for now with my Shock Blue controller.

Melchiah

No back paddles and dpad in primary thumb position = no.

Elite controller still the best controller ever released. Seriously. Anyone that hasn’t tried one but dismisses it is only hurting themselves.

Going by that misplaced logic, everything but Wii U Pro pad would be a no. After all, you're not going to hold your thumb on the action buttons in modern 1st/3rd person games. Symmetrical is the best option, whether the sticks are placed up or down.

Anyone who hasn't even tried Dual Sense, yet dismisses it solely due to an infantile platform allegiance is only making a fool out of himself.

Ridaxan

Until the majority of releases on the platform allows me to change the button prompts to match that of the controller I'll be sticking to using my Xbox controllers primarily.

It's not even about remembering where the buttons are located, it's just a personal hangup.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
nothing will top the Xbox controllers for PC.

playstation controllers are too much hassle to set up and get working properly. with Xbox you just connect it through bluetooth and boom it's done. no fucking about with anything.

it's like trying to get an iphone working with a PC. you can do it but you're jumping through hoops for a mediocre experience when iphone works best with a mac.

sony are too arrogant to ever have native support for their controllers on a microsoft platform.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Going by that misplaced logic, everything but Wii U Pro pad would be a no. After all, you're not going to hold your thumb on the action buttons in modern 1st/3rd person games. Symmetrical is the best option, whether the sticks are placed up or down.

Anyone who hasn't even tried Dual Sense, yet dismisses it solely due to an infantile platform allegiance is only making a fool out of himself.
The wii U Pro Pad would be the best layout and controller (apart from the elite) if the triggers were analogue. They aren't. The stick layout absolutely is the best.

Symmetrical or asymmetrical isn't the point. That's not a problem at all for anyone with an IQ higher than their age.

The Xbox controller has 1 of 2 sticks in the default spot. 1 thumbs up!

The Wii U Pro controller has 2 of 2 sticks in the default spot. 2 thumbs up!

The PS5 controller has 0 of 2 sticks in the default spot. 0 thumbs up. 2 is best, 1 is next, 0 is last.

I don't need to try a dual sense to know it's worse because it has 2 sticks in the wrong spot and zero paddles on the back. The Xbox Elite controller has 1 stick in the right spot, and 4 paddles on the back. Winner!

Top Bottom