• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

why the fuck does so many people like Dane Cook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=donBLIykVOA

the fuck am i watching?

was he always THIS big?

holy hell, that's a lot of people considering the guy gets hate pretty much everywhere on the internet. I can tell you now that outside of the US he just comes off as some sub-par crappy holywood actor, had no idea his stand-up attracted this crowd, what the fuck.

and they just cheer every time he opens his mouth or moves an elbow as well, doesnt even have to say anything funny.

kehs

Banned
Dane Cook is one of the most poignant and significant comics of our time. If you can't clearly see that you need to educate yourself and remove yourself from whatever garbage bin you use for entertainment.

Salsa

CJUNDERGROUND said:
Why the fuck does you not know english??

because its not my first language

excuse the typo

Copernicus said:
Dane Cook is one of the most poignant and significant comics of our time. If you can't clearly see that you need to educate yourself and remove yourself from whatever garbage bin you use for entertainment.

im guessing this is sarcasm, but im watching that without craking a smile while thinking about 10 other comedians that actually deserve to be up there.

sangreal

I thought this guy's fifteen minutes were long up. Haven't heard anything about him in ages. Probably not since back when everyone realized he takes his jokes from Louis CK.

I actually went to that show in the OP. Saw him at MSG because a friend had an extra ticket. Even for free it sucked

I used to think he was funny. I like to pretend he must have been funnier ten years ago or so. But, I'm not brave enough to go back and find out. His delivery drives me fucking crazy now. College kids eat this shit up though. I have a friend who quote him non-stop, which is worse then actually listening to him.

Salsa

Buckethead said:
This thread from 2006?

man, i dont know, i guess im late to this but im really fucking amazed, he literally doesnt exist outside of the US, that's how much i know and that's why im late i guess, i thought that some people liked him but had no idea he was this big.

CJUNDERGROUND said:
Backfire.

lol i wasnt mad, sorry if that came out wrong

DMczaf

At least he's no longer a mainstream hit and only has a following on college tours now.

Pretty much any comedian can do college tours though.

Did not click the link, because I didn't want to feed the Cook.
grin.gif

I HATE Dane Cook

sangreal

SalsaShark said:
man, i dont know, i guess im late to this but im really fucking amazed, he literally doesnt exist outside of the US, that's how much i know and that's why im late i guess, i thought that some people liked him but had no idea he was this big.

He built his career on MySpace. That should tell you how late you are

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
I clicked on a Gabriel Iglesias related video to get away from Dane Cook and my god, was that a mistake.

SalsaShark said:
Fair enough.

Anyway, he's basically the antithesis of what every standup comedian should be and every stand up comedy fan should support.
He's definitely stolen jokes whether he would admit it or not, has a troupe of writers who write his material for him, and treated a lot of "lower" comics like shit during his meteoric rise.

That being said, I thought some of his bits from A Vicious Circle were funny as hell, e.g.: "Atheist on a Subway" bit.

Salsa

sangreal said:
He built his career on MySpace. That should tell you how late you are

what's weird is that its like the first case of someone making it this big on the US and not reaching other countries.

Buckethead said:
Fair enough.

Anyway, he's basically the antithesis of what every standup comedian should be and every stand up comedy fan should support.
He's definitely stolen jokes whether he would admit it or not, has a troupe of writers who write his material for him, and treated a lot of "lower" comics like shit during his meteoric rise.

That being said, I thought some of his bits from A Vicious Circle were funny as hell, e.g.: "Atheist on a Subway" bit.

im mostly aware of his history and his standup in general, but not being from there, i always went with what's said on youtube comments and the internet in general, wich is pretty much what youre saying: that he steals jokes, people writes for him etc, so i thought that was the universal opinion on the guy. Guess i was wrong.

soultron

Banned
When we started dating, a GF decided to surprise me with tickets to Dane Cook. I fucking hate Dane Cook. The one comedian who opened for him was way better.

I never had the heart to tell her I hate Cook. Haha.

Fantasmo

LOL I was there. This exact one.

I was also at one of George Carlin's last performances. Love George Carlin, love comedians, loooooove to laugh.

You know what's cool? Comedians are fun. You go, you let loose, laugh like hell, and move on. Don't understand the repulsion with fun or exaggeration, but I guess it's cool to hate on popularity. Also, I never think of Dane Cook until someone mentions him

kehs

Banned
SalsaShark said:
because its not my first language

excuse the typo

im guessing this is sarcasm, but im watching that without craking a smile while thinking about 10 other comedians that actually deserve to be up there.

List them.

You'll be saving me the trouble of listing the top overrated hacks of our generation of this generation.

Salsa

I swear everytime he pauses for 5 seconds people start cheering

He's DRAWING A "B" LETTER BY WALKING AS PART OF A JOKE AND PEOPLE CHEER

what the fuck man

junkster said:
LOL I was there. This exact one.

I was also at one of George Carlin's last performances. Love George Carlin, love comedians, loooooove to laugh.

You know what's cool? Comedians are fun. You go, you let loose, laugh like hell, and move on. Don't understand the repulsion with fun or exaggeration, but I guess it's cool to hate on popularity. Also, I never think of Dane Cook until someone mentions him

Im not hating on the guy to the point where i cant stand him, im just really amazed at the size of his fame here, when i feel that other comedians are much, much funnier.

NICKNACC

Banned
its a damn SHAME he got too popular and everyone decided to start hating him. goddammit people. i love Dane, he is super funny, his comedy was real situations and real thoughts. fuck me if he ever stole material, he probably delivered it better anyway. god listening to this guy with my friends or gf's on road trips was great. His dramatic roles were fine by me too. his comedic movies not so much

fuck the haters.

Derrick01

Banned
Outside of the recent Louis episode it's been a couple years since I've really heard about him. Isn't he accused of rampant joke stealing?

Blackface

Banned
His comedy is for people who don't know anything about comedy. And people who have the sense of humour of a child.

That being said. He is a fucking super nice guy. He is also funny when he is on the O and A show, and is good friends with LOTS of really talented comics.

I can't hate if he is making money. I just don't enjoy his comedy.

ToxicAdam

SalsaShark said:
what's weird is that its like the first case of someone making it this big on the US and not reaching other countries.

Well, Dane Cook didn't really 'make it' in a conventional sense. His only big television appearance was on the Mtv music awards (which he didn't fare so well) and then he made a few B movies that bombed. That's what makes his story more intriguing. He was one of the first entertainers to break out without the help of the typical Hollywood machine.

A similar example would be Russell Peters. No one in America really knows the guy, but he is huge everywhere else and incredibly wealthy.

markot

Banned
ToxicAdam said:
Well, Dane Cook didn't really 'make it' in a conventional sense. His only big television appearance was on the Mtv music awards (which he didn't fare so well) and then he made a few B movies that bombed. That's what makes his story more intriguing. He was one of the first entertainers to break out without the help of the typical Hollywood machine.

A similar example would be Russell Peters. No one in America really knows the guy, but he is huge everywhere else and incredibly wealthy
Nope >.< never heard of him. (Aussie here!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom