• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why the PlayStation 5 still using Bluray will make most of its revealed specs useless and void, and why they should ditch it for alternatives.

Ar¢tos

tumblr_lu419rDeQl1r0w390.jpg

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Just for the sake of argument (LOL), people are not going to buy PS5s to open them and then take out that laser source, power it and aim it at their eyes.

Because I have news for you... old-school CD and DVD lasers are also harmful to human eyes. Thankfully, not only are optical disc readers properly sealed to prevent the laser from being emitted to the outside, people have also historically not been stupid enough to do what I described above... as far as I know.

Also of note, that "research" you pointed at fails to take note that not all blue-light LEDs are Blu-Rays. Blu-Ray laser actually is near ultraviolet (edge of the visible spectrum).
Another curiousity: HD-DVD and Blu-Ray both use near ultraviolet wavelength (with the higher data storage density of Blu-Ray discs owed to optics, with higher power lenses).
Take some time to sink that in, OP. By your own argument, HD-DVD could be just as lethal as Blu-Ray.

(Edited a technicality).

Hell, Dollar Store laser pointers are harmful to your eyes (and your poor cat's mental state), but only dumb shits point them at their eyes for periods of time.

It is very simple to explain why your SSD's won't help and why the BR format will hinder many of the "revealed" PS4 features, as vindication is received:

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-Blu-ray-players-so-slow

This doesn't change if a bluray is "installed" on to an SSD. The checks still happen and because of that as shown, consumers are wondering why there is constant slowness with Bluray movies. When you install the game or movie to the SSD or even faster than BR HDD, the codecs and DRM are still there and they still run the check. But they do it the same way as if the disc was still in a Bluray player, so unlike modern digital files that check near instant the installed Bluray files will still move at Bluray place SSD or not. At the same slow speeds and nowhere near the instant speeds that modern open digital files have. As Bluray is proprietary.

buying media that supports a higher write speed presents no direct benefit, BR is a WORM (Write Once, Read Many) type media, write/read speeds of SSD drives should be much of a concern since you are only installing to a singular drive, and that single SSD does not have enough alone to FORCE a significant speed upgrade. At best, if you're lucky, you'll get a bit of a speed boost depending on the software on the disc, but it will be marginal.

Even on Neogaf.com you can see conversations of this:

This is because the Pro SSD is hindered by the same source Bluray cap as the regular PS4 that uses a SLOWER SSD. Yet both SSD drives are faster than BR, so why are things still slow for both? That's because the software of the Bluray is still in the files once you install them to the SSD. The cap is a real thing, at best you get a marginal loading boost, mostly for menu's, and in many cases you don't notice.

This guy says Sony but it's actually not Sony's fault, it's Blurays. Sony has to design the transfer speeds around the disc drive and the software that supports it, they couldn't make the cap higher because it would be pointless. You can't get around the Bluray cap. People keep thinking there's no Cap but there is a software cap and since the installed BR files are now digital since they are no longer attached to hardware there's no way to brute force speed increases. With physical you can brute force speed increases with 16x, 32x BR drives, but once it's digital that can't work, even with SSD.

So with this, it's also not the CPU or GPU's (obviously) fault. So the only thing left is literally the software in the Bluray. It's the only thing that can be blamed, there's no way around it. It's the only thing left that can cause an obstruction great enough to impact transfer speeds.

So the software as it's downloaded to the SSD, is still the same software in the Bluray disc, not a virtual drive like some people in the thread said because they are getting hardware and software mixed up. The software in the BR, is designed with the BR drive in mind and the common format rules of the BR corporation group. So that all BR players play BR's the same way across the board for every OEM, outside drive speeds, which are physical ways to brute force speed increases. You can't so it digitally.

But them we have to get into the health reasons as well why Bluray should be scrapped.

ANOTHER BIG REASON why Bluray needs to be kicked from the PS5, is because people ARE DYING. Bluray has been dangerous for years, but because money has pushed it artificially to the frontlines for years, it's been causing damage to peoples bodies, making them blind, giving them cancer and other illness related diseases, produced radiations, and other big problems:

https://www.gearbest.com/blog/how-to/the-harm-and-source-of-blu-ray-3224

Most people are ill-informed so don't realize the many things they use daily causing massive permanent harm to the. But the millions of people sick or deceased due to the dangers of Bluray as shown above is something that corporations should be forced to answer for. Especially Sony and Microsoft which have been pedaling the format into the electronic consumer gaming industry.

The damage is irreversible.

Is this satire?

Damn guys, I leave you alone for a couple hours and this happens.

Marvelous reading. OP is out of his fucking mind.

I thought it was going to be the flat earth and chem trails for a moment. Mixing blu-ray with the blue light from digital screens is truly remarkable.

The tipical nonsense functional illiteracy thrives on.

BlackTron

1) Yes Blu-Ray lasers are harmful. So were the lasers in portable CD players of the 90's. And every other disc-based console you can think of. This topic is about whether a SSD will make an improvement in a system with a Bluray drive; the question of how harmful they are is irrelevant, but if we're discussing it, decades have shown an acceptable utility vs risk scenario for optical drives. It's also utterly irrefutable that cars can kill people. Since I can't refute that, should we ban cars? A pencil can kill you, everything in existence comes with risks that must be weighed against utility and cost.

2) Given this argument about Bluray being made, the implication is that if I transfer files to my computer from a CD or DVD, they will then be read off my local HDD as fast as my hardware allows. But, if I copy files from a Bluray drive, they can only be read from my HDD at a level capped by the BR format.

This is so ridiculous on such a fundamental level to anyone who understands jack shit about how HDDs/file systems work. Source and destination file systems have nothing to do with each other. Their job is to store the data a specific way in a given pattern.

3) You tell me that the sky is red. I disagree and point above our heads to a clear blue sky. You whip out your phone, find a photo of a sunset in Africa, state "you cannot refute that the sky in this image is red". This is what is happening with the pathetic Quora answer, taking advantage of statements clearly out of context. The silly attempts at handling the discussion like an attorney finding technicalities is embarrassing.

Freedom Gate Go caught candid taking a stroll outside with his only friend, his teddy bear

iu

Last edited:
This is the lunacy of fanboyism... it's complete and utter lunacy.

BTW are we calling into question whether it was actually "Cerny" who was being interviewed? That's what I gathered from the use of the quotations around his name...

1) Yes Blu-Ray lasers are harmful. So were the lasers in portable CD players of the 90's. And every other disc-based console you can think of. This topic is about whether a SSD will make an improvement in a system with a Bluray drive; the question of how harmful they are is irrelevant, but if we're discussing it, decades have shown an acceptable utility vs risk scenario for optical drives. It's also utterly irrefutable that cars can kill people. Since I can't refute that, should we ban cars? A pencil can kill you, everything in existence comes with risks that must be weighed against utility and cost.
It's ridiculous, if someone's going out of their way to be struck by a bluray laser in the eye, they might as well eat the microchips and experience the internal damage.

Remember how Op was building up to some hyped up moment where he would post an indepth article by professor Timothy Bunton about how Blu Ray capped speeds and we were all wrong and we're all ignorant of his superior Blu Ray understanding?

Instead we got:

1. A Quora post that is spun out of context.

2. Posts from Neogaf but no thread link leaving us clueless to which thread the quotes came from.

3. An article about how Blue light display tech is bad for health , which the Op confused for talking about Blu Ray media.

We've been robbed badly here, as I predicted pages ago, he never had an article, and I guess his photoshop sub expired to make his own fake "Timothy Bunton" article. Just three lazy alternatives that don't even talk about his initial claim.

What a roller-coaster. ;)

Said no-one, ever.

Oh yes, except a disguised manipulatory PR who wants to sell you on an irrelevant or irrational arguments which only serves the narrative and strategy of corporate clients who'd love to see BR disappear.

I mean you must try very hard to twist rationalisation to that extent, almost has if it was a job...

Grinchy

Banned
Ok, it's quite obvious that some of us have fallen for what is now confirmed to be an elaborate trolling attempt. I'm glad he's this adamant about keeping it going. I miss this kind of trolling on the internet.

Very fun thread. 10/10, avoid blu rays getting into your eyes.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If Switch can do microSD cards, surely MS or Sony can too. By the time, PS5 and Xbox X2 come out, 64-128gb cards should be cheap.

Of course not as cheap as a BR disc. But if Nintendo can use SD chips, so can the others.

I'll give Op credit, this is bigger than his last thread, and he didn't get banned three times during it.

But... OP said he had an research article by a guy named "Timothy Bunton" and I'm still waiting to be "educated" on Blu Ray speed caps.

I need that article Mr.Gate

Silent Duck

Ok, it's quite obvious that some of us have fallen for what is now confirmed to be an elaborate trolling attempt. I'm glad he's this adamant about keeping it going. I miss this kind of trolling on the internet.

Very fun thread. 10/10, avoid blu rays getting into your eyes.
Freedom Gate Co. has done a great job steering this thread toward excellence.
giphy.gif

Kudos.

CloudSolace

Blu-ray gave me prostate cancer. :messenger_fearful:

Shouldn't joke like that, but damn... Blu-ray isn't hurting anybody. Stop being a whiny butthole.

Last edited:
This doesn't change if a bluray is "installed" on to an SSD.

the bluray is not "installed" on to an SSD, the data from the disc is installed on the SSD

when you copy data from a CD/DVD/Bluray to an hdd/sdd like you do during a game installation you take the data in the disc after reading it you just get the bytes and store a copy of the data in the hdd/sdd, the format of the optical disk is no longer important for the new copy it doesnt matter how they stored data before or whatever format, compression or redundancy they used because the new copy is stored with the parameter and format of the HDD/SSD where its now stored just like any other data on it and when the the system ask the drive for data, the drive will get those bytes as fast as it can

The fact that op hasn't been banned just goes to show you can post literally anything on this forum these days with no repercussions.
I thought the whole point of NuGAF is that fun was allowed again. I mean this thread is fun. No one is taking it seriously. Just laugh at the OP along with the rest of us and enjoy yourself for a change.

What on earth, this is total nonsense. Entire games install to the HDD already, the bluray is only there for security. Is this like a really subtle troll?

gifgaf

Off-topic but Tim (Kotaku) has a great series on YouTube about the translation of FF VII. Recommend it if you are a fan of either Tim or FF VII
I was interested in this until I watched 10 mins, I couldn't listen to him anymore. Tim sounds like he is using a text to speech app or something

FranXico

I was interested in this until I watched 10 mins, I couldn't listen to him anymore. Tim sounds like he is using a text to speech app or something
Try copy-pasting the content of the OP into a text-to-speech reader. Pick the most nasal voice you can find and play it back.

Bryank75

Banned
Silly Cerny, he obviously overlooked the drawbacks you pointed out.

Excerpt from MIT review follows;
"Cerny’s talent for programming surfaced early. At age five he taught himself to code on a CDC 6400 mainframe computer at the University of California at Berkeley, where his father worked as a lecturer in nuclear chemistry. At 13 he began to audit math and physics classes at the university, and at 16 he joined full-time. “I was quite a good student, but I was bored,” he says. "

Azurro

Banned
Another person who can't man up and refute the article. I guess maybe one day a gaffer will come and do so, or maybe not ever, since's it's actually right, as admitted by watnau above.

Masterful troll job, I have to applaud you. Every bit as good as that flat earther in off topic. The best part was the laser killing people, because of course people disassemble the console and point the fucking laser to their eyes to play games. 😂

Ar¢tos

Can we get this thread stickied? It's just gold that keeps on giving!
The title should be changed to
"PSA: Your Blu-ray devices might be killing you!"

SonGoku

If Switch can do microSD cards, surely MS or Sony can too. By the time, PS5 and Xbox X2 come out, 64-128gb cards should be cheap.

Of course not as cheap as a BR disc. But if Nintendo can use SD chips, so can the others.
Why waste money on a SD card if you are going to install the game on the faster SSD anyways?

Top Bottom