• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why The Xbox Series X Is 2020’s Biggest Gaming Disappointment

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Because unlike Microsoft, sony (and nintendo) actually have an organic, grass roots fanbase that genuinely enjoy their products instead of relying on paid for hire articles from Forbes and bloomberg and dont hire paid for hire shills to promote their product. Or as the Joker movie would say at the end "you wouldnt get it."

I think you better look at some of the recent Digital Foundry videos and see they are paid adverts for Sony. It clearly states on them they are paid adverts

also Xbox has no fanbase? Millions of consoles sold but no fans, go figure

Because unlike Microsoft, sony (and nintendo) actually have an organic, grass roots fanbase that genuinely enjoy their products instead of relying on paid for hire articles from Forbes and bloomberg and dont hire paid for hire shills to promote their product. Or as the Joker movie would say at the end "you wouldnt get it."

Yes your right. Xbox has no fans besides those that were paid. None of them were 'organic'

Honestly.... These people 😂

Last edited:
I'm assuming you are referring to the Dualsense controller because that is pretty much the only thing that really differentiates the two machines.

Personally i think it's kind of silly to only consider one machine a new console generation just based on its controller.
A new VR headset is coming reportedly featuring haptic feedback as well.

If you look at the broader picture there is more than just the controller that differentiates the two platforms.

noise36

The one X was awesome, yet an upgrade to that is a disappointment? It's like buying a new GPU, you can immediately play current and old games better and be looking forward to new games looking great in the years ahead.

Sony gets treated like Apple in that everything they do is put on a pedestal any deficiencies are ignored while their competitors are judged differently.

Last edited:

LMJ

Seems a tad early to announce this the biggest gaming disaster of 2020 when Stadia is still a thing, horrid releases by EA pushing monetization, mediocre rehashes of Ubi and the like...

I agree the SeX' game lineup is lacking, but the legacy support they have shown is certainly a very strong nod in their favor...I stated in another thread that Microsofts whole release of the SeX seems as if they weren't really prepared, but the kinks will be worked out and the games will come, but biggest disappointment? Come on Forbes

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
A new console generation was a perfect opportunity for them to completely untether themselves from the underpinnings of that old UI but yet they didn't take it. The primary reason is because they wanted to unify the user experience across the "Xbox family" of devices which is a mistake in my opinion. The Xbox One was not a successful product and they should have taken the opportunity to distance themselves from that product as much as possible. Instead, they are making the experience mirror that of what you get on Xbox One which is the wrong message to send IMO.

I somewhat agree with you. Have you considered the possibility that the Xbox One X was a resounding success for Microsoft and they felt that instead of distancing themselves from the "Xbox One" product they want to lean into what made the One X great and are going to continually update it as they receive feedback?

It does sound like you just straight up disagree with what XBOX is doing and the direction they want to go in, haha. So again, its possible MS is never going to get you back as a customer, and that's just business.

GHG

Gold Member
Again the Xbox UI does get major updates and gets them yearly.

Yeh I know. I was unfortunate enough to go through several of them and not at one point did I feel the usability or speed was at a level required for a console that is supposed to be focused on getting access to and playing your games.

Last time I used the UI was 4 moths ago before I got rid of the console and I still felt exactly the same about it.

You didn't answer my questions - you just repeated yourself. The Xbox UI was re-designed prior to the Series consoles launches. A change for this generation was that this UI was also made available on the existing Xbox One consoles. Somehow, this means the entire console is now "less special". If the PS4 UI was updated to look like the PS5 UI, would the PS5 be less special retroactively? Obviously, the answer is yes, right? The SNES wasn't special either, because it's UI experience was the same as the NES's UI experience: neither had one. Right? UI matters, folks.

You're dismissing "improve performance"... when its literally the only reason new consoles exist: the new hardware. It is literally what a console is. Did you think that through before you posted it?

The Xbox Series X has quite a few innovations, so not really sure what you're on about there, either.

Surely, you mean you want Windows 10 to be more different than Windows 7, so its more special, right? Must have been a typo on your part there. Anyway... what are the specific primary differences in Windows 10 that you'd like to see be patched to be like Windows 7?

If the only things consoles offered was "performance improvements" then I wouldn't buy a single one. There are better performance improvements to be had elsewhere. The only reason I buy consoles is to have experiences that can't be had elsewhere. That primarily lies with the games but things like controllers and UI's also contribute to the overall experience.

Your point about the PS5 UI being added to the PS4... It couldn't. The core features of the new UI are very much reliant on the SSD. Take that away and the user experience would be a disaster, it wouldn't even be worth doing because people trying those features would be guaranteed to have a bad time in doing so. And that's my overall point - why have a core user experience built around older hardware when you don't need to?

Also thank god we are not still in the days of having no new UI. Expectations are not the same now as they were back when consoles didn't have them. Maybe your expectations are the same as the NES days but most peoples certainly aren't.

You can sarcastically say "UI matters" until you're blue in the face but the reality is that in 2020 it absolutely does, we live in the age of HCI. User interfaces are core to the experiences we have with the technologies we use on a daily basis and it's a travesty Microsoft, with the resources they have, have decided to take this half arsed iterative approach to their console UI's even when presented with this opportunity to completely remove the shackles and create something unique and fresh.

And no, that wasn't a typo. I simply want full control of my machine without needing to delve deep into menu's or even faff around with registry hacks. Also fuck cortana. If you want to Microsoft shill me into telling me I need to like Windows 10 (despite my experience telling me otherwise) then go ahead but you'll be wasting your time. Fully expect it regardless though.

They were mentioning ps5 games in 2021 not Xbox games launching in 2021
Ok, but again I ask you. What exclusives games is coming to Xbox Series X/S in 2021.

Nevermind. Have a look at this list:
Xbox Series X games confirmed & rumored

Halo Infinite is dead for the time being so that can't even be considered a 2021 title at this point. Who knows when that is launching. What about the rest of the Series X/S exclusives???.....There's nothing.

So you have a gamer or casual who wants to play some games and wants to pick up a next gen console.
- There's PS5 which has 2 genuine exclusives and Xbox Series X/S which has none.
- Coming to PS5 in 2021 is a slate of exclusive games (some may be cross gen, others may be PS5 only). Xbox Series - X/S has nothing in the near future and for the rest of 2021 (so far).
- Add to the fact PS5 is doing marginally better in some multiplatform games.

Now this person has to weigh up which of the above consoles to choose taking into consideration all of the above.
It's a no brainer.

Only those who invested tons into the Xbox ecosystem will likely look to continue on Series X/S. Otherwise its GamePass for the next year until genuine exclusives show up.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
I somewhat agree with you. Have you considered the possibility that the Xbox One X was a resounding success for Microsoft and they felt that instead of distancing themselves from the "Xbox One" product they want to lean into what made the One X great and are going to continually update it as they receive feedback?

It does sound like you just straight up disagree with what XBOX is doing and the direction they want to go in, haha. So again, its possible MS is never going to get you back as a customer, and that's just business.

How much of a success was the One X though? Yes it drastically improved the mindshare for the brand but I'm pretty sure it didn't outsell the base console. My secondary issue is something that you touched on, what feedback are they receiving and from whom exactly? If it's from the same echo chamber insiders that provide feedback during apha and beta tests for games then I can tell you with absolute certainty that it's not going to be tremendously valuable...

Your second paragraph I have to agree with unfortunately. Gamepass aside, the direction they are going in doesn't make any sense to me. Lots of wasted opportunities.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Ok, but again I ask you. What exclusives games is coming to Xbox Series X/S in 2021.

Nevermind. Have a look at this list:
Xbox Series X games confirmed & rumored

Halo Infinite is dead for the time being so that can't even be considered a 2021 title at this point. Who knows when that is launching. What about the rest of the Series X/S exclusives???.....There's nothing.

Forza

halo

to name 2

the medium coming out in about a week

there is plenty ofexclusive games coming out, go look at the lists on the web

Forza

halo

to name 2

the medium coming out in about a week

there is plenty ofexclusive games coming out, go look at the lists on the web
I'm sorry, you named Forza and Halo.

Halo Infinite is going through a few development issues. What is the date for this game's launch?
What Forza is launching in the next year on Series X/S?

As for the bolded: Yes I already did that. Its quite shocking the lack of any real exclusive coming to these Xbox consoles. I will give you the Medium but there is no real hype surrounding this game at all. You can't hang the launch of a new console on a AA horror title from a developer who launched a mediocre Blair Witch game last year.

Last edited:
Yes your right. Xbox has no fans besides those that were paid. None of them were 'organic'

Honestly.... These people 😂

Well joking aside, there are still differences between fanbases.

XBOX fans are strongest on USA, while PS fans are strong all around the globe.

Imagine how popular Playstation or nintendo is at USA, then imagine that it is the same or even more on rest of the world.

Then imagine how "popular" Stadia is, then imagine that xbox is about the same outside of USA. (compared to Playstation)

While xbox isnt literally as unpopular as stadia, it is still multiple times less popular than Playstation.

I know 50-70 gamers, about 80% of them have playstation, 20% have PC and close to zero have xbox.

I know only one xbox fan and even he says that after 360 they went to shit, so he just collects 360 games and owns ps4 & pc for serious gaming.

I'm not saying "xbox has no fans"

I'm saying that the chance that someone whom knows gamers doesnt know anybody whom games on playstation is close to zero, but it is much higher chance that they dont know anyone whom plays/owns xbox (at least outside of USA).

Xbox is kind of like "poptarts and mac&cheese" to rest of the world, many dont even know what they are or have seen them on tv and know that they are American thingy, but never had them or seen them IRL.

Xbox doesnt even do advertising here, I cant remember seening their ads ever or it is more than 5 years.

Here you could ask from random people what playstation is and I bet that almost all would know something about it, but ask what xbox is = certain that even many young people dont recognize it.

Harts316

Quick resume has worked fine for me on the five games I have in rotation now. Maybe I just haven’t ran into a game that doesn’t support it, but next to the SSD it is one of my favorite parts of the new system.

mortal

Gold Member
I'm going to sound like a broken record here, but I must say it again...... They released next gen too early. Neither the hardware or software were ready.
PS5 seems to be doing just fine. Xbox however seems like they needed more time to prepare. I guess they figured gamepass will hold most people over till next year.

bxrz

It feels to me like Xbox have been on the back foot and tripping over themselves since the end of 7th gen.

They went all in on Kinect, and let the initial hype for that peripheral and the huge success it brought the 360 go to their heads, thinking they could get away with blatantly screwing their customers with the XO's shitty plans and arrogantly sacrificing the consoles gaming capabilities to leverage more ways to get money out of our wallets.

Then the PS4 curb stomped then, and They've been desperately flailing around ever since, hoping that if they scrabble around long enough they'll find something solid sales wise to hold on to.

So they buy studios, cancel some games while releasing others that are a but toss just to have gamepass fillers, create aforementioned subscriptions, make a ridiculously powerful consoles, then make a ridiculously weak one, stoke the fires of console warring then bemoan them, claim to have made the beat unified environment for game development then blame their own tools when the PS5 is slightly better, state they have the most diverse ever line up of games at launch, while every exclusive is delayed, promised in some ever changing vague future date, as well as being either cross gen or coming on PC as well anyway.

It's all a bit slapdash and half the time undermining itself. They're so desperate for a win, that they end up accidentally hobbling themselves.

They need to pick one thing and stuck with it instead of hedging their bets.

Are they platform agnostic and happy for games to release on PC and other consoles, or are they a console platform holder, so need real exclusives?

Are they creating a Netflix like subscript service, needing to crank out lots of small shorter easoly consumable experiences like mobile games, or creating platform selling big, bespoke, block buster exclusives like Sony and Nintendo?

Do they want to have an everyman, casual, low cost, easy to use gaming environment, or a best in class graphical powerhouse for hardcore hobbyists?

Because right now, they're a jack of all trades and master of none, while their competitors know exactly what they are, what they do best, and what their audiences want.

Unless they get their shit together, lose the chaff and commit to something they will do well at, it's got to only be a matter of time before MS get sick of constantly sinking capital into an investment that will never see any returns.
they've committed to game pass i think they have said that about 100 times

bxrz

Sales charts do my talking for me. Xbox is a disappointment and everybody knows it. World's most powerful console yet can't outperform a PS5. No games except back compat shit you've had for years. Time to eat some crow Riky. PS5 is trending everyday and the most desired consumer electronics product on Earth. The only people I see talk about xbox are butthurt fanboys like yourself.
If sales charts do the talking then Nintendo runs your shit lol. Switch will outsell the PS4 and PS5 in due time

PS5 seems to be doing just fine. Xbox however seems like they needed more time to prepare. I guess they figured gamepass will hold most people over till next year.

In fairness, and I say this as a very happy PS5 owned, but the firmware/OS are clearly still in beta and can be buggy. Which is fine, but probably needed another month or two in the oven before being truly “launch ready.” IMO anyway

GhostOfTsu

Banned
This article speaks the truth. I own a One X and a laptop. I have no use for the series X at all.

As for the bolded: Yes I already did that. Its quite shocking the lack of any real exclusive coming to these Xbox consoles. I will give you the Medium but there is no real hype surrounding this game at all. You can't hang the launch of a new console on a AA horror title from a developer who launched a mediocre Blair Witch game last year.

They rely on old BC games, emulator hype and flight simulator to show off their "powerful console". Remember the free Gears 5 and Horizon 4 upgrades they were touting for months and using as fuel against Spider-Man remastered?

Those updates came and went no one cares about them. Gears 5, their showcase game for the Series X is in bargain bins at 10$ right now and on digital.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Well am having a great time playing call of duty , watchdogs and particularly Assasins creed Valhalla.
Not enjoyed an Assasins creed for a while but this seems good and the graphics are really good

phil_t98

#SonyToo
This article speaks the truth. I own a One X and a laptop. I have no use for the series X at all.

They rely on old BC games, emulator hype and flight simulator to show off their "powerful console". Remember the free Gears 5 and Horizon 4 upgrades they were touting for months and using as fuel against Spider-Man remastered?

Those updates came and went no one cares about them. Gears 5, their showcase game for the Series X is in bargain bins at 10$ right now and on digital.

I hear nobody mentioning the remasters spiderman either tbh

This.

I mean, even if people like them or not, they have games. And that's what's needed for an upgrade.

I don't feel like I'm missing out anything on Xbox right now having an original One because I can still play Gamepass shit, on lower framerates or resolution, but they're perfectly playable. Why upgrade now if there's no killer app?
We have games? Miles Morales and Sackboy are PS4 games, Demon's Souls is a remaster of a PS3 game and Astro playroom is a demo.

Why the need to keep defending Sony when they're clearly in the same position as Xbox. If I can play those games in my PS4 I wouldn't count them as an incentive to buy a PS5, ok the contrary, I would count it as an incentive to keep playing with my PS4 for the time being.

We have games? Miles Morales and Sackboy are PS4 games, Demon's Souls is a remaster of a PS3 game and Astro playroom is a demo.

Why the need to keep defending Sony when they're clearly in the same position as Xbox. If I can play those games in my PS4 I wouldn't count them as an incentive to buy a PS5, ok the contrary, I would count it as an incentive to keep playing with my PS4 for the time being.

Lol no.

Demon's Souls has a 93 on Metacritic. SM has 85. Historically this is Playstations strongest launch line-up ever. Personally I think it's the best they had since PS1.

dcx4610

I just don't understand Microsoft sometimes. They seem to have the absolute worst marketing and/or planning. 360 was a big success until the RROD hit and then they started focusing on entertainment rather than games. With the Xbox One, they got cocky and making it always-on and had very few exclusives the entire generation. Now the X launches and once again, they have no games, no good marketing and zero reason to own the system unless you are a loyalist.

Considering how they don't even make money on the Xbox brand, you'd think they'd try something bold or learn from their mistakes and release a ton of exclusives but here we again. It just feels like Xbox One X.2.

ZehDon

If the only things consoles offered was "performance improvements" then I wouldn't buy a single one. There are better performance improvements to be had elsewhere. The only reason I buy consoles is to have experiences that can't be had elsewhere. That primarily lies with the games but things like controllers and UI's also contribute to the overall experience...
Smells like someone's moving the goal posts.

Your point about the PS5 UI being added to the PS4... It couldn't. The core features of the new UI are very much reliant on the SSD. Take that away and the user experience would be a disaster, it wouldn't even be worth doing because people trying those features would be guaranteed to have a bad time in doing so. And that's my overall point - why have a core user experience built around older hardware when you don't need to?
It absolutely could. Features that are hardware dependent would be removed - like Quick Resume and its associated UI elements not being present on the Xbox One version of the Xbox UI. There's nothing integral to the PS5 UI that makes it "special" that couldn't be done on the PS4, hardware features not withstanding. Everything else - being its speed and fluidity - is just the hardware allowing it to be faster. You're failing to make your points. With all that said, Sony still haven't improved upon the PS3's UI. Different isn't always better.

Also thank god we are not still in the days of having no new UI. Expectations are not the same now as they were back when consoles didn't have them. Maybe your expectations are the same as the NES days but most peoples certainly aren't.
I thought the big draw for this generation was cartridge-like experiences? The less time I spend in the UI, the better. Consoles aren't better because they have UI, they're better because they have more features for their cost - the UI is simply how you access those features.

You can sarcastically say "UI matters" until you're blue in the face but the reality is that in 2020 it absolutely does...
I'm going to stop you right there. UI does matter, which is why I prefer Microsoft's approach. I'd rather not wait seven years for a UI refresh, when design sensibilities change and new and improved interaction paradigms emerge. The Xbox UI has been known to change radically. The Xbox 360, in particular, was chalk and cheese by the end. That means a better UI experience, more often.

And no, that wasn't a typo. I simply want full control of my machine without needing to delve deep into menu's or even faff around with registry hacks. Also fuck cortana. If you want to Microsoft shill me into telling me I need to like Windows 10 (despite my experience telling me otherwise) then go ahead but you'll be wasting your time. Fully expect it regardless though.
Once again, you didn't answer my question. This reads like populist idiocy: "new thing bad, old thing good". Let's get specific: what in Windows 10 specifically do you want to be patched to now be identical to Windows 7? I can't think of a single thing. Windows 10, in particular with its search bar, is no more or less difficult to operate in. There's nothing in Windows 7 I can point to that I would consider objectively better. Windows 8, on the other hand...

Last edited:

Neil Young

I'm a HUGE MS fan having sung Gamepass' praises in multiple threads but I can't understand how you don't have one exclusive when launching your new console. Even a game like Godfall is, at the very least, a tech demo showcasing the graphics. They can't even have a game like that? No Ryse? This is the worst launch. I'd pick up a PS 5 today for Souls. Xbox, I'd have to think about since I have a One X. Even the multiplats run better on the PS 5. Da fuq MS?

Chukhopops

Both those games are on Gamepass and have been for sale for a year or two, why would people buy them? They are still in the top 30 most played today and are optimized for the new devices via free upgrades and it sounds like this is somehow a bad thing?

Is there even a PS5 patch for GT PS4?

I'm a HUGE MS fan having sung Gamepass' praises in multiple threads but I can't understand how you don't have one exclusive when launching your new console. Even a game like Godfall is, at the very least, a tech demo showcasing the graphics. They can't even have a game like that? No Ryse? This is the worst launch. I'd pick up a PS 5 today for Souls. Xbox, I'd have to think about since I have a One X. Even the multiplats run better on the PS 5. Da fuq MS?

The Xbox fans really must start putting pressure on the incompetent Spencer and his handling of their launch and first year, honestly. Until then, nothing changes. It honestly baffles me the discipline to not criticise Xbox given what Sony is offering on the other side.

Jdroop

The one X was awesome, yet an upgrade to that is a disappointment? It's like buying a new GPU, you can immediately play current and old games better and be looking forward to new games looking great in the years ahead.

Sony gets treated like Apple in that everything they do is put on a pedestal any deficiencies are ignored while their competitors are judged differently.
This.

Unknown?

That's a bold, and frankly ignorant, claim for him to make. If they manage to get God of War 2 out next year I'll eat my fucking hat. Late spring 2022 at a minimum is more realistic. No idea why he wouldn't use Ratchet & Clank instead when that's practically a 2021 guarantee.

He also neglected to mention the fact that you can happily play Horizon 2 on PS4. Might change, almost definitely won't.

As someone who loves his PS5, this article is kinda bullshitty considering the best "new experiences" on PS5 right now are a 4 hour platformer and a PS3 remake.
A remake that 99% of gamers never played and likely the majority of souls fans as well.

Whilst they were preparing to acquire studios and create one (The Initiative) IMO 343 or The Coalition should of been working with a second team on separate projects besides Halo or Gears to prepare for launch of the X/S. One of those projects could of been ready in time for launch or just after. Gears 5 came out September 2019!

Yes we have had a pandemic which makes things difficult, understandable, these systems are planned years in advance or are supposed to be. Where is the foresight or contingency plans not for a pandemic but for the launch of a console . I knew they would put everything on Halo, it’s just how they think and so predictable.

I’m hoping they show off a new game at the VGAs but it wouldn’t surprise me if they simply use a nominated game or even something like the Avengers to arrive on Gamepass as their big announcement there.

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned
If their intention was to compete with PS or to steal some of Sony's user base then they have failed miserably.

If it's just meant to be an upgrade for existing Xbox owners then I am sure it will do OK.

When exactly did MS decide on a launch window for their new console? 3 years ago? 2 years ago?

At that point they should have been going all in to make sure that Halo Infinite was ready for launch.

The next step should have been stock. It was always certain that Sony would sell out at launch. So make sure you have enough stock so that when people are going around and around trying to get a PS5 that you are just sitting there with Halo Infinite offering an alternative.

How many Switches will Nintendo sell over this Q4 just from people who can't get their hands on a PS5 or Series X and so they just decide to take a chance on the only thing that is available?

What I would have wanted to see from Xbox here is making an offering that challenges Sony. Instead it's a bit of a wet fart.

It's a huge disappointment and it looks like this new gen is going to play out the same as the last one.

Matsuchezz

Ms sucks at making games and good tools. I believe Uncle Phil is the one green lighting crappy games. He is not a gamer he is just a suit. We all watched the series S in the back of the room as an easter egg. But in reality that was his gaming setup. He punches his card in order to play some games and get paid for it.

GHG

Gold Member
Smells like someone's moving the goal posts.

It absolutely could. Features that are hardware dependent would be removed - like Quick Resume and its associated UI elements not being present on the Xbox One version of the Xbox UI. There's nothing integral to the PS5 UI that makes it "special" that couldn't be done on the PS4, hardware features not withstanding. Everything else - being its speed and fluidity - is just the hardware allowing it to be faster. You're failing to make your points. With all that said, Sony still haven't improved upon the PS3's UI. Different isn't always better.

I thought the big draw for this generation was cartridge-like experiences? The less time I spend in the UI, the better. Consoles aren't better because they have UI, they're better because they have more features for their cost - the UI is simply how you access those features.

I'm going to stop you right there. UI does matter, which is why I prefer Microsoft's approach. I'd rather not wait seven years for a UI refresh, when design sensibilities change and new and improved interaction paradigms emerge. The Xbox UI has been known to change radically. The Xbox 360, in particular, was chalk and cheese by the end. That means a better UI experience, more often.

Once again, you didn't answer my question. This reads like populist idiocy: "new thing bad, old thing good". Let's get specific: what in Windows 10 specifically do you want to be patched to now be identical to Windows 7? I can't think of a single thing. Windows 10, in particular with its search bar, is no more or less difficult to operate in. There's nothing in Windows 7 I can point to that I would consider objectively better. Windows 8, on the other hand...

Based on what you posted it's pretty clear you don't have any idea what the new features within the PS5's UI entail, nevermind having hands on experience with it. There are features that can 100% not be done on a console without an SSD and to remove them would require surgery. The primary function of a user interface is not just how it appears, it's about how the user can interact with the system and the experience it gives them. What you're proposing is that they give PS4 users a dashboard that only looks the same as the PS5's which would defeat the point entirely.

Of course you prefer Microsoft's approach... They crapped in the mouth of Xbox One owners for years at a time. Update after update with little to no tangible improvement, some of which even made the UI more cumbersome to navigate. Yes please, beta test me to the future. They even go as far to incentivise their paying customers to alpha/beta test for them. Great fun. For what it's worth, the PS4's UI did get updates across its life cycle but they were subtle in nature because it actually worked as intended pretty much from day one so no song and dance was required to accompany each update. Updating the PS4 interface over the years also didn't prevent them from creating something entirely new for the new console.

As for not answering your questions, I don't need to, especially when they aren't even on topic. If you're so concerned you can probably do a search on this very forum and find posts of mine that detail my windows 10 woes. Just the other week I had to yet again set up execution policies for a new CLI framework, I had no such grief of Windows 7 back in the day. Thankfully my main dev environment is now Ubuntu so I don't need to deal with my system constantly thinking it knows what's best for me on a day to day basis.

But sorry you're right, Xbox is perfect as is Windows 10. Praise be Microsoft. It's highly unfortunate that fans like you (for any platform) exist.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Unknown?

If their intention was to compete with PS or to steal some of Sony's user base then they have failed miserably.

If it's just meant to be an upgrade for existing Xbox owners then I am sure it will do OK.

When exactly did MS decide on a launch window for their new console? 3 years ago? 2 years ago?

At that point they should have been going all in to make sure that Halo Infinite was ready for launch.

The next step should have been stock. It was always certain that Sony would sell out at launch. So make sure you have enough stock so that when people are going around and around trying to get a PS5 that you are just sitting there with Halo Infinite offering an alternative.

How many Switches will Nintendo sell over this Q4 just from people who can't get their hands on a PS5 or Series X and so they just decide to take a chance on the only thing that is available?

What I would have wanted to see from Xbox here is making an offering that challenges Sony. Instead it's a bit of a wet fart.

It's a huge disappointment and it looks like this new gen is going to play out the same as the last one.
Halo Infinite is a lot like Sonic Xtreme(except this won't be cancelled) where people act like it's the system's ace in the hole that will turn its fortunes but in reality it wouldn't have made much difference.

I will never understand these threads but they all always end up the same way? It’s the same dudes that have been doing this for months, years even that never had intentions of buying an Xbox going into Xbox threads to bitch about the lack of games or how the UI hasn’t changed or yadda yadda yadda. Is the lineup lacking, absolutely it is but it’s still a damn good console. Does that excuse Spencer for the poor job he’s done exclusives-wise? Absolutely not. My only gripe is there’s a few of you that disingenuously join these threads acting as though this misstep stopped you from buying an Xbox. The truth is you were never going too. There’s actually a couple of you posting in this thread with tags that call you out for your constant console warring and MS trolling.

Don’t you guys ever get tired of it? Do you ever just enjoy the video game aspect of things or is this a hill you’re willing to kill your Neogaf account on? It could be that I’m just getting old at 35 and don’t understand this silly shit but it seems like a lot of you on both sides of the fight actually enjoy the war more than the games themselves. The PS5 is an awesome console and when I finally take mine out of the box (old, essential worker. Haven’t had time) I plan on enjoying the hell out of it but I did hook my series X up when I first got it and the little bit I’ve got to play it I’ve really enjoyed it. Just enjoy the games fellas. My lord.

Kind of weird that the first thing Xbox shills do is slam the other console‘s library.

I mean, if what they had was so great, why would they care?
This is a pretty amazing statement. It's usually Sony guys saying how Xbox has no games right? That Sony has all the best games right? So following that logic Xbox fans have nothing else to do but put down the defenseless Sony corporation. What is the Sony fans excuse for the Xbox attacks? You have all the best games and the best system how do you even know any other platforms exist seeing how the Playstation is the end all be all? Pity should be all you feel about the average Xbox fan according to the Sony fan logic.

ReBurn

Gold Member
With all of those studios they really should have had something ready. Or they should have moneyhatted something. But to pin launch on one game was pretty dumb.

quest

Not Banned from OT
With all of those studios they really should have had something ready. Or they should have moneyhatted something. But to pin launch on one game was pretty dumb.
Money hats instead of investing in studios during the 360 days got them in this mess. Investing in studios over money hats is the correct decision for the long run.

Last edited:
My disappointment with the Series X is that quick resume, their most touted feature, doesn't work very well on the games I have wanted to play. Valhalla? Worked for a few days and not since. Watch Dogs Legion? Never worked for me. Borderlands 2? Nope. A few games I tried to swap between worked and, when it did, it was as I thought - the best feature any new console offered. That it doesn't work as advertised out of the box on day one, honestly, ruins the best feature of the new Xbox and, therefore, a ton of my hype for it.

And I don't want to hear "it's early, give 'em time". Nope. This was their big feature; the feature that separated them from the PS5. I don't want to hear about it being early and they need more time. If you advertise it you damn well better deliver as promised and on time. They didn't and it seriously hurts the system for me.

It's still so early and everything is still to be decided but, coming into this gen, for a few reasons, I was more hyped for the XSX and, honestly, it's the letdown system for me so far.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Money hats instead of investing in studios during the 360 days out them in this mess. Investing in studios over money hats is the correct decision for the long run.
Sure. But what happens when you're Microsoft and your studios you invested in can't pull off one single game for launch that shows what your new box full of power can do? Forbes writes an article about how you shit the bed. And if you're Microsoft you deserve it.

Top Bottom