• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why The Xbox Series X Is 2020’s Biggest Gaming Disappointment

Pallas

Gold Member
Someone should tell that writer that Forbes are MS shills before getting a call from HR.

I do agree that the performance issue has been a bit disappointing though.

Unknown?

Money hats instead of investing in studios during the 360 days out them in this mess. Investing in studios over money hats is the correct decision for the long run.
They had plenty of studios back then but they shut many down.

ZehDon

Gold Member
There are features that can 100% not be done on a console without an SSD and to remove them would require surgery...
Being that I said "remove the features that require an SSD" in my post, I'll presume you didn't read my reply. Thanks for wasting my time.

... Of course you prefer Microsoft's approach... They crapped in the mouth of Xbox One owners for years at a time. Update after update with little to no tangible improvement, some of which even made the UI more cumbersome to navigate. Yes please, beta test me to the future. They even go as far to incentivise their paying customers to alpha/beta test for them. Great fun. For what it's worth, the PS4's UI did get updates across its life cycle but they were subtle in nature because it actually worked as intended pretty much from day one so no song and dance was required to accompany each update. Updating the PS4 interface over the years also didn't prevent them from creating something entirely new for the new console.
Let's ignore for a moment that I referred to UI refreshes and overhauls - which the PS4 never had - you believe Microsoft are bad because they updated their UI, but Sony is good because... they also updated their UI? I'll be honest, I'm really not sure of your point here - that some updates are better than others? That Microsoft employed an evolutionary approach to their UI while Sony employed a generational approach, and you prefer Sony's over Microsoft's while I prefer the opposite?

... As for not answering your questions, I don't need to, especially when they aren't even on topic...
... you made them on-topic when you raised them? Why did you raise them? Smells like those goal posts are moving again...

But sorry you're right, Xbox is perfect as is Windows 10. Praise be Microsoft. It's highly unfortunate that fans like you (for any platform) exist.
Thanks for the personal attack. Appreciate it.

I'm a HUGE MS fan having sung Gamepass' praises in multiple threads but I can't understand how you don't have one exclusive when launching your new console. Even a game like Godfall is, at the very least, a tech demo showcasing the graphics. They can't even have a game like that? No Ryse? This is the worst launch. I'd pick up a PS 5 today for Souls. Xbox, I'd have to think about since I have a One X. Even the multiplats run better on the PS 5. Da fuq MS?
I've seen this sentiment expressed multiple times in this thread. Why doesn't Gears Tactics count? Is it on the Playstation or something? Why is Miles Morales a grand exclusive but Gears Tactics is 'no exclusive'? If it's because it's on PC ALL Xbox games are on PC so it's like point you can't argue.

Regardless something must be wrong with me because I am throughly enjoying the XSX. Mine runs quieter than my PS5, I have way more games to play on it than my PS5, and I find the UI easier to navigate and more functional than the PS5s. Still the PS5 is very nice and the controller is much improved over that dual shock 4. Congratulations to both console manufacturers.

I'm having a great time with mine. The console is solid, silent, the machine doesn't feel cheap, the controller does not feel like a cheap plastic toy, tons of games to play from the very beginning and even older games look great on it. I have 4 months worth of Gamepass and not enough time to play all games. Currently rushing through Halo: MC (didn't know Reach was so good, reminds me of Half Life 2 and Battlefront) so I can play GoW5. For me it's the best choice in this gen by far for the gamepass alone. This service really makes this system feel like a 2021 machine. Can't wait to see the looks of the games MS is cooking for the Series.

diffusionx

Gold Member
This is a pretty amazing statement. It's usually Sony guys saying how Xbox has no games right? That Sony has all the best games right? So following that logic Xbox fans have nothing else to do but put down the defenseless Sony corporation. What is the Sony fans excuse for the Xbox attacks? You have all the best games and the best system how do you even know any other platforms exist seeing how the Playstation is the end all be all? Pity should be all you feel about the average Xbox fan according to the Sony fan logic.

Sorry but based on the thread title and OP isn't this a thread about the Xbox? Sony has nothing to do with Xbox's failings right now.

I am not a "Sony guy", I have a Xbox One X, the Scorpio version in fact because I preordered it the day it became available. I wanted the Series X to be good but MS seemed intent on providing me with tons of reasons not to buy it.

Valedix

Couldn't agree more, all their exclusives are coming to PC so there's no point other than backwards compatibility.

Paulxo87

when does the carnage stop. are articles like this necessary. just show mercy and stop kicking the poor thing - the xsx is already dead.

longdi

Banned
just another forbes contributor and dont speak for the market as a whole. He is entitled to his view, but comes off as bit hyperbole and drama, click baity even? 🤷‍♀️

Heck, if i wanted to join hyperbole, i will put 3080/6800 as the most disappointing toy for a tech nerd like me.

We are in a covid world, living a covid life. At least there are new tech toys to play with for those lucky enough.

Both MS and sony have done as much as possible, with each tackling different areas for launch. Choices are good. :messenger_moon::messenger_ok:

Last edited:

Kerotan

After all it was hyped up to be, the PlayStation killer it's been a massive disappointment. Even BC the ps5 is seeing better gains in most last gen games. It continued where the xbox one X left off, no fucking good exclusives. Halo crashing and burning sealed its fate.

supernova8

Banned
If we're talking exclusively about 2020 then I don't see how the PS5 is that far ahead.

Xbox Series X has zero launch games (ie exclusive launch games, let's not get hung up on semantics).
The PS5 has really just two - Miles Morales and Demons Souls (we could include Bugsnax and Sackboy if you want to be generous but I'm not feeling generous).

So yeah if you weren't really that interested in backwards compatibility, both console launches have been varying shades of shit.

PS5 was shit and the Xbox Series was shitter....

IF Sony can really pull off all the games they claim are coming in 2021 then fair enough but I expect a good 50% or more to get delayed.

Kagey K

Banned
I would say this thread is the most disappointing thing in gaming for 2020, but in reality it probably doesn’t even make the 5 worst this threads this month (And it’s just Dec 1)

Nobody should be shocked by this.

Stop crying warrior. The console war is over and you lost. Public and press have spoken and PS5 is the winner. Series X is betamax in a VHS world. Hold the L.

TvR1WpH.jpg

Amiga

Besides the disappointing realization that people can turn any thread into a TLOU 2 thread.

TLOU2 has become the standard for disappointment in gaming. I don't think any other game had as many play it and be disappointed. so evoking it will make most people understand a point.

TLOU2 has become the standard for disappointment in gaming. I don't think any other game had as many play it and be disappointed. so evoking it will make most people understand a point.

Must be why it's winning GOTY awards that fans get to vote on... (see what I mean?)

None of this is surprising to be honest. I knew the SXS was going to be disappointing the moment I saw Craig and realized that Halo Infinite would be getting delayed. Backwards compatibility and playing last gen multiplats with better settings can only take you so far. MS compounded the issue with their focus on power and now that the Series X is failing to meet the power standard dictated by MS, the whole console launch feels like a disappointment. Things won't start looking up for the Series X until they can sort out their games problem.

People saying Demon's Souls and Spiderman Miles Morales are underwhelming are missing the fact that they are mostly new experiences and are being well received by critics as well as gamers. MS doesn't have anything remotely on the level of Miles Morales or Demon's Souls on the XSX right now. The lack of games coupled with the lazy "if it ain't broke don't fix it" approach to the UI and controller design also make the XSX feel more like a refresh than an entirely new system for a new gen for a lot of people. Gamepass is great but it's not a reason to spend $500 on a new console IMO considering it's been out for a while now and all the GP titles can be played on the previous gen consoles. MS needs killer games now, that's the only thing that will save them moving forward once the Honeymoon period is over with early adopters.

Last edited:
controlled environment voting=/= fans. real votes on Meta proves this.

Man, you guys really hope we memory hole'd the fact that meta got thousands of ratings the second the game became available to play. If you want to convince me people who actually played the game were disappointed try a different avenue.

Amiga

Man, you guys really hope we memory hole'd the fact that meta got thousands of ratings the second the game became available to play. If you want to convince me people who actually played the game were disappointed try a different avenue.

no evidence that the small irregulates changed the final Meta score.

GenericUser

I'm a playstation guy, but I call this article bullshit. The only thing the PS5 has over the xbox is the controller and demon's souls. For me, they are basically on the same level right now. If you are into Microsoft stuff and their exclusives, there is absolutely nothing wrong with getting an xbox. I also think the xbox will have the better looking 3rd party games, so if you want the best looking multiplatforms, xbox is probably the right choice (current games that perform slightly better on the PS5 shouldn't be the norm, once the devs fully focus on next gen development).

I like stupid console warring just like the other guy, but at least do it with style.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Being that I said "remove the features that require an SSD" in my post, I'll presume you didn't read my reply. Thanks for wasting my time.

Let's ignore for a moment that I referred to UI refreshes and overhauls - which the PS4 never had - you believe Microsoft are bad because they updated their UI, but Sony is good because... they also updated their UI? I'll be honest, I'm really not sure of your point here - that some updates are better than others? That Microsoft employed an evolutionary approach to their UI while Sony employed a generational approach, and you prefer Sony's over Microsoft's while I prefer the opposite?

... you made them on-topic when you raised them? Why did you raise them? Smells like those goal posts are moving again...

Thanks for the personal attack. Appreciate it.

Yeh because all of the new features do require the SSD. Which is entirely my point, you have no idea what you are talking about. If you're happy with UI updates just amounting to a change of appearance then yeh, you're being served very well. The core of the Xbox UI is very much the same as it was at the beginning of the Xbox One launch - that comes part and parcel with a never ending iterative approach. Like I've said, they've had the opportunity to start over again and create something worthwhile but didn't take it, at least you're happy though.

My comment regarding w7 vs w10 was off-hand (I would have thought that was pretty clear considering it was an inconsequential one liner) but since you are willing to white knight for all things Microsoft you decided to make it a point of discussion. Don't get upset when it's something you wanted to delve deeper on despite it having zero relevance to the thread.

You talk about moving goalposts when the entire second paragraph quoted above is exactly that. You should work on your comprehension, the answers you seek already exist.

Defend their approach all you like, time will tell whether or not it's something that the market actually wants. A revolutionary approach in as many aspects as possible would have gone some way to help them IMO but they got scared away from ever trying something like that considering how much of a disaster the Xbox One launch was. That shouldn't mean don't even try anything at all.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I'm a playstation guy, but I call this article bullshit. The only thing the PS5 has over the xbox is the controller and demon's souls. For me, they are basically on the same level right now. If you are into Microsoft stuff and their exclusives, there is absolutely nothing wrong with getting an xbox. I also think the xbox will have the better looking 3rd party games, so if you want the best looking multiplatforms, xbox is probably the right choice (current games that perform slightly better on the PS5 shouldn't be the norm, once the devs fully focus on next gen development).

I like stupid console warring just like the other guy, but at least do it with style.
He says right in the article that he built up the Series X too big and was dissapointed.

Later in the article he builds up the PS5 as big, and guess what. Once he gets it he will be equally dissPointed. It’s Ll fluff and gRbGe.

For the same reasons.

Last edited:

rolandss

Interesting. By this toke
Well this is true. 100%

And I like my Series X. Glad I got it as a secondary device (PC is main) and Game Pass was a huge reason I picked it up over PS5. But there is no denying it (at launch) acts as a One X with faster load times.

Interesting. By this token I wonder if PS5 gamers currently feel like its just a better Pro? I'm planning on getting a PS5 eventually when games are out that justify the upgrade, but I currently just have the Pro and it doesn't seem worth it.

GHG

Gold Member
Phil be like...

original.gif

I don't think Phil wants to hear it. He clearly surrounds himself with people who are yes men and will shield him from any negative feedback that exists. Hence his comments the other week about "apathy" being Xbox's biggest competitor. It's far easier to dismiss any criticism or negative comments people might have rather than actually take them on board and be analytical about where improvements can be made (outside of the ones they have already decided upon within their bubble).

Sorry but based on the thread title and OP isn't this a thread about the Xbox? Sony has nothing to do with Xbox's failings right now.

I am not a "Sony guy", I have a Xbox One X, the Scorpio version in fact because I preordered it the day it became available. I wanted the Series X to be good but MS seemed intent on providing me with tons of reasons not to buy it.
But you were the one who mentioned other consoles did you not? Where did I call you a Sony guy? And what does the 'Xbox shill' you accuse of attacking other console games have to do with the Xbox being a disappointment? Shouldn't the Xbox fans be the ones complaining not the Sony fans who don't like the Xbox in the first place? I just disagree with your sentiment. I actually have both next gen consoles and I'm glad I have first hand experience and not the Sony fans here who aren't the most knowledgeable or objective about Xbox brand.

I think if ur on budget for gaming its the best 300 or 500 dollars spent on gaming
Gamepass alone with 1 dollar deal will set u up for years for the price of 2 to 3 games
. As much as I love darksouls I'm never going to spend 70 dollars on it

This is a pretty amazing statement. It's usually Sony guys saying how Xbox has no games right? That Sony has all the best games right? So following that logic Xbox fans have nothing else to do

That's the entire point. They spent 3 years preparing for the new gen and ended up with not a single new game to play on their new expensive system. Not one. It's inexcusable. The first MGS exclusive is The Medium, a game that was on Kickstarter last year.

You don't need an XsX to use Gamepass or the old titles they are promoting, like Gears 5 that can be picked up in bargain basement bins for $10. So the excuse of 'we got Gamepass' is a terrible one.

That's the entire point. They spent 3 years preparing for the new gen and ended up with not a single new game to play on their new expensive system. Not one. It's inexcusable. The first MGS exclusive is The Medium, a game that was on Kickstarter last year.

You don't need an XsX to use Gamepass or the old titles they are promoting, like Gears 5 that can be picked up in bargain basement bins for $10. So the excuse of 'we got Gamepass' is a terrible one.
No matter how many times you say it doesn't make it true. Gears Tactics is a first party console exclusive that launched with the XSX and XSS. You might not like the game but it does exist. Gears 5 has updates that you can only see when you are using an XSX. That was just one example other Xbox games got upgrades on the XSX too. It's just like raytracing on Spiderman MM is only on the PS5. Game pass is doing quite well no matter how Sony fans feel so if you are happy paying $70 a pop for a game no one is stopping you.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I think if ur on budget for gaming its the best 300 or 500 dollars spent on gaming
Gamepass alone with 1 dollar deal will set u up for years for the price of 2 to 3 games
. As much as I love darksouls I'm never going to spend 70 dollars on it

I get what you are saying but this is like a signal for the industry of welcoming mobile gaming like flood of cheaper games filled with micro-transactions as price of each game and having tons of new games a month is the priority. I get the allure of getting all the same great titles we grew up with for free or something that seems like free (£15 a month for all of the AAAA I desire?! Sounds good, kind of the too good variety), but I do not believe it is THE answer just another avenue to get games with.

What happened on mobile, with a race to the bottom that destroyed perceived value of games and turned most games in predatory dopamine traps, does not have to happen on consoles or at least we should not be making it easier.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
No matter how many times you say it doesn't make it true. Gears Tactics is a first party console exclusive that launched with the XSX and XSS. You might not like the game but it does exist. Gears 5 has updates that you can only see when you are using an XSX. That was just one example other Xbox games got upgrades on the XSX too. It's just like raytracing on Spiderman MM is only on the PS5. Game pass is doing quite well no matter how Sony fans feel so if you are happy paying $70 a pop for a game no one is stopping you.

I can get GamePass especially in a deal, I can buy games on deals on the Marketplace, and can buy less games but buy the ones that are worth to me and support the studio making them and if unsure I can buy physical editions so that my risk is minimised as I can recoup part of the cost reselling it.

What I am convinced of is that there is some push by people towards a mobile like game prices devaluation that will bit all of us in the arse.

longdi

Banned
I get what you are saying but this is like a signal for the industry of welcoming mobile gaming like flood of cheaper games filled with micro-transactions as price of each game and having tons of new games a month is the priority. I get the allure of getting all the same great titles we grew up with for free or something that seems like free (£15 a month for all of the AAAA I desire?! Sounds good, kind of the too good variety), but I do not believe it is THE answer just another avenue to get games with.

What happened on mobile, with a race to the bottom that destroyed perceived value of games and turned most games in predatory dopamine traps, does not have to happen on consoles or at least we should not be making it easier.

I agree we should not race to the bottom
Neither GPU is sustainable for MS at the current prices, or $70 games are truly worth it and good for the industry outreach.

I wont mind paying $50 for a game im hyped, and i wont mind paying $599 for a slightly higher specs consols. And for something like GPU, i wont mind paying $18 per month for all first party exclusives and rotating 3rd party games rent.

But right now, GPU is killing it. So everyone just enjoy it, get an Xbox or PC.

mrmeh

Biggest disappointment! :messenger_tears_of_joy: Am I disappoint I got a Series X/S?... no..

Forza Horizon 4 performance mode runs at 4x the res it did on my one X and SSD, could never go back.

...I am however massively disappointed about not being able to purchase a 3080/6800xt went with a cheap 5600XT until prices settle down next year.

There's a big gulf in between most disappointing and liked to have... I would liked to have more games available at launch... I guess not being a Souls kind of guy if I'd have got a PS5 I would have felt the same.

I can get GamePass especially in a deal, I can buy games on deals on the Marketplace, and can buy less games but buy the ones that are worth to me and support the studio making them and if unsure I can buy physical editions so that my risk is minimised as I can recoup part of the cost reselling it.

What I am convinced of is that there is some push by people towards a mobile like game prices devaluation that will bit all of us in the arse.
Who is pushing? Game Pass is an option for people who want it. If you prefer to buy games at full price, borrow from a friend, or get them on a discount from Game Pass itself it's up to you. There is no evidence of a mobile-like game push.

Halo 5 will still be the biggest disappointment for me. The Series X is not anywhere close to a bad or even disappointing product in my eyes BUT MS handling of their first party titles (or lack there of) IS a big problem. The Series X is a step in the right direction compared to the One when it launched. The launch of the One almost made me abandon MS

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Who is pushing? Game Pass is an option for people who want it. If you prefer to buy games at full price, borrow from a friend, or get them on a discount from Game Pass itself it's up to you. There is no evidence of a mobile-like game push.

Sure there is not ;). We will have to agree to disagree, like arguing with those pushing digital only games as they were going to be “cheap thanks to the savings coming from cutting the middle man out”... we have seen how it turned out...

anothertech

All they needed was ONE fucking game to turn heads and make the launch exciting.

That game should have been Halo, and it should have been given to a different developer YEARS ago when mcc turned out to be such a clusterfuck.

They also thought cyberpunk was going to be their back up launch title. But that was delayed, and no next gen versions till next year lol So ya, just bad luck all around.

Spiderman and Demon Souls did the work for Sony.

ZywyPL

Banned
"Overpromise and underdeliver, that's our motto" - Phil Spencer, 2020

For real tho, it's a very well designed and engineered console, with a really neat set of futures, but the lack of at least one interesting, must-have launch title and underperformance in cross-gen titles puts it in a very bad spot, especially after all the MS' marketing about the most powerful console, "optimized for Series X" games and what's not.

I know well the games will show up eventually, the power and features will be utilized eventually, but the question is, when? Won't it be too late? Because the way I currently see it is that Sony has set up everything to once again gain that same snowball effect they had with PS4, the 36CU design isn't a coincident, the console is made with ease of development in mind, hence even their 1st party devs don't need half a decade to make their games and many of them will release their PS5 titles in the upcoming year already.

And if MS doesn't sort their stuff out very soon I feel it'll be the same situation as with X1X - too little to late, in 2022-23 no one will care about better performance, Bethesda games etc. if most of their friends will be yet again playing on PS5 already.

Last edited:

oldergamer

Hmmm not sure i fully agree with this article. The part about it feeling like a better one x

Its basically saying indirectly that ps5 is worth it because it has two or 3 games that xbox sx does not at launch? Spiderman mm and demon souls?

But if spiderman is on ps4, doues it come down to one game? If the author is making this argument to single out one console or indirectly boost the other i think they should be consistent in the logic used.

oldergamer

Im having fun with gears of war tactics. Been a while since i enjoyed a good strategy title. I do feel launching without a single showcase to sell the system wasnt good tho.

BigLee74

PS5 and XSX are in the same boat. 99% of games available for the system are BC games, and both can be seen as an extension of the Pro/One X.

I'm pretty sure if you got a PS5 on launch day, you will have completed their exclusives by now. Where does that leave you? Playing the multi plats and waiting for new releases.

Enjoy the consoles for what they are. Superb and affordable gaming machines with a HUGE library of games, and with loads of content (both exclusive and multi plat) to come.

Top Bottom