• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why The Xbox Series X Is 2020’s Biggest Gaming Disappointment

Sony

Nintendo
Partially agree with the headline. Next Gen in general is the biggest disappointment of 2020.
Also, lol@calling the Series X an improved One X while literally stating Horizon Forbidden West, God of War 2, and Gran Turismo 7 - all probably cross gen games - as more reason to pick up a PS5.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
A remake that 99% of gamers never played and likely the majority of souls fans as well.

Considering how many "gamers" there are in the world, I would say most games are only played by 1% of them. Doesn't mean anything.

You seem to think I'm shitting on DeS. I'm nearly done with playthrough 2 of 3. The point is that this "writer" seems to be lamenting the lack of new experiences on X1, meanwhile as good as DeS remake is, it's still a remake.

Kokoloko85

I just don't understand Microsoft sometimes. They seem to have the absolute worst marketing and/or planning. 360 was a big success until the RROD hit and then they started focusing on entertainment rather than games. With the Xbox One, they got cocky and making it always-on and had very few exclusives the entire generation. Now the X launches and once again, they have no games, no good marketing and zero reason to own the system unless you are a loyalist.

Considering how they don't even make money on the Xbox brand, you'd think they'd try something bold or learn from their mistakes and release a ton of exclusives but here we again. It just feels like Xbox One X.2.

360 got released a year ahead the over priced, over complicated to develope for PS3. Whilst having Better online and releasing a bunch of Playstation centric titles for the first time like DMC, Final Fantasy, Tekken etc. And had great first time titles like Gears.

It hit lightening and wont ever happen again. Even then PS3 caught up and sold more eventually.

INC

After seeing retro games and roms running on seris S, I've changed my opinion to Series S is the best surpise this year

Emu games and gamepass on a under £300 console

Seems decent to me now (before I had 0 interest in any console this gen)

Last edited:
I get what you are saying but this is like a signal for the industry of welcoming mobile gaming like flood of cheaper games filled with micro-transactions as price of each game and having tons of new games a month is the priority. I get the allure of getting all the same great titles we grew up with for free or something that seems like free (£15 a month for all of the AAAA I desire?! Sounds good, kind of the too good variety), but I do not believe it is THE answer just another avenue to get games with.

What happened on mobile, with a race to the bottom that destroyed perceived value of games and turned most games in predatory dopamine traps, does not have to happen on consoles or at least we should not be making it easier.
I think its more like Netflix than mobile gaming tbh , Microsoft want u in their echo system just pay us 15 dollar and even if u have a pc mobile or an Xbox just play our vast library instantly
Is this the answer ? Who knows but u just can't deny the unbelievable value that xbox provides with gamepass atm for someone who just got a new xbox
Just for the price of demon souls u can get a year of gamepass ultimate and 100s of triple a games

Alan Wake

All this is the reason I haven't upgraded yet. Even the UI and controller are basically the same. I'm perfectly fine with my Xbox One X for now.

Larlight

Yeah i really dont get how anyone thinks god of war is next year, they saw a title screen and started claiming next year

Well I mean we can only go by the info given to us by Sony. The trailer itself said 2021. As far as I know, Santa Monica Studio have never had issues with delays. In fact, it looks like Sony is really trying to have a dominant 2021 to make sure they stay the market leader and that means the games will be coming out much sooner after announcement. Perhaps it’s Sony just doing their own thing but it could also be a response to MS’s aim of being more competitive. Which is a good reason why people say competition is good.

Spiderman MM, Ratchet and Clank, Demon Souls and Sackboy were announced only 5 months ago and we already had 3/4 of them released. Ratchet is within the launch window. GT7 looks to be the same.

Unknown?

Considering how many "gamers" there are in the world, I would say most games are only played by 1% of them. Doesn't mean anything.

You seem to think I'm shitting on DeS. I'm nearly done with playthrough 2 of 3. The point is that this "writer" seems to be lamenting the lack of new experiences on X1, meanwhile as good as DeS remake is, it's still a remake.
No I'm just saying that's not the same thing at all. No new experiences means no new experiences for all. A remake means a new experience for many. It's the reason no one laments Wii U ports on Switch because most people never had a Wii U.

bxrz

ITT people crying about not having console exclusives when Cyberpunk, the game that everyone is waiting for and cares about, drops in 1 week.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
No I'm just saying that's not the same thing at all. No new experiences means no new experiences for all. A remake means a new experience for many. It's the reason no one laments Wii U ports on Switch because most people never had a Wii U.

By the same definition every single Xbox backwards compatible game running at an increased resolution and performance could count as a new experience for the same writer, depending on what he's already played. He even says that he owned a PS3, and doesn't mention DeS at all, so far all we know he's already beaten it a dozen times.

He talks of an "initial spark" that he feels like he's missing, but it's not really clear what he's talking about considering the only completely new to everyone experience on PS5 is Astro Bot and the Dualsense, neither of which he mentions either. He just points at the vague release dates of future Xbox games and then unfairly positions them against things like God of War 2, which has an incredibly vague (and unrealistic) 2021 date, and Horizon 2, which will be available on 2013 hardware also. It's just a really bad take at this point in time.

diffusionx

Gold Member
By the same definition every single Xbox backwards compatible game running at an increased resolution and performance could count as a new experience for the same writer, depending on what he's already played. He even says that he owned a PS3, and doesn't mention DeS at all, so far all we know he's already beaten it a dozen times.

He talks of an "initial spark" that he feels like he's missing, but it's not really clear what he's talking about considering the only completely new to everyone experience on PS5 is Astro Bot and the Dualsense, neither of which he mentions either. He just points at the vague release dates of future Xbox games and then unfairly positions them against things like God of War 2, which has an incredibly vague (and unrealistic) 2021 date, and Horizon 2, which will be available on 2013 hardware also. It's just a really bad take at this point in time.

Can someone explain to me why God of War 2 in 2021 is unrealistic? It's the only one they've announced. The original came out in early 2018, it doesn't seem unreasonable that a team can turn around a sequel in 3+ years. It's also possible Sony is trying to get as many AAA tier games out in 2021 as possible, similar to what Nintendo did in the Switch's first year.

Maybe it gets delayed, but that's also not really the way Sony rolls - they tend to just give no release date until they are ready, when they hit it. Ghost of Tsushima was essentially a pretty CG-ish vaporware until relatively soon before release.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
Can someone explain to me why God of War 2 in 2021 is unrealistic? It's the only one they've announced. The original came out in early 2018, it doesn't seem unreasonable that a team can turn around a sequel in 3+ years. It's also possible Sony is trying to get as many AAA tier games out in 2021 as possible, similar to what Nintendo did in the Switch's first year.

Maybe it gets delayed, but that's also not really the way Sony rolls - they tend to just give no release date until they are ready, when they hit it. Ghost of Tsushima was essentially a pretty CG-ish vaporware until relatively soon before release.
Nothing has been shown. If it was a 100% 2021 release we would of had footage by now instead of a logo. With another covid spike around the world shit can and will be delayed.

AV

Can someone explain to me why God of War 2 in 2021 is unrealistic? It's the only one they've announced. The original came out in early 2021, it doesn't seem unreasonable that a team can turn around a sequel in 3 years. Maybe it gets delayed maybe it doesn't, but that's also not really the way Sony rolls - they tend to just give no release date until they are ready, when they hit it.

For one, Covid has delayed practically everything this year, that includes games that weren't targeted to hit 2020.

Sony already has GT7 and Ratchet (and Returnal) as basically locked in for 2021. Expected in the first half. Horizon is a fair shout considering it has a 14 month lead on God of War, and Sony has confirmed that they anticipate that will be ready in the 2nd half of 2020, so even that might be delayed to 2021. We've also actually seen something of Horizon 2 at this point. God of War 2 is not going to be as ready as that. It's unrealistic to expect it to be ready so quickly compared to those other games, and not only that, but Sony really don't need to cram everything they have on the table so far into one year. PS5s are already super hard to get a hold of, people don't need even more of an incentive to rush to get one yet.

diffusionx

Gold Member
For one, Covid has delayed practically everything this year, that includes games that weren't targeted to hit 2020.

Sony already has GT7 and Ratchet (and Returnal) as basically locked in for 2021. Expected in the first half. Horizon is a fair shout considering it has a 14 month lead on God of War, and Sony has confirmed that they anticipate that will be ready in the 2nd half of 2020, so even that might be delayed to 2021. We've also actually seen something of Horizon 2 at this point. God of War 2 is not going to be as ready as that. It's unrealistic to expect it to be ready so quickly compared to those other games, and not only that, but Sony really don't need to cram everything they have on the table so far into one year. PS5s are already super hard to get a hold of, people don't need even more of an incentive to rush to get one yet.

1 - They announced the 2021 date well into the COVID thing.
2 - there's nothing wrong with loading up the calendar - Nintendo did it in 2017, worked pretty well for them
3 - the supply issues are going to resolve themselves sooner or later, probably sooner

Point is, it might get delayed, but it's not a lock. Until Sony says otherwise, it's a 2021 game.

We don't even have an announced date for Forza and people assume it is a 2021 title too... so.

Last edited:

AV

2 - there's nothing wrong with loading up the calendar - Nintendo did it in 2017, worked pretty well for them
3 - the supply issues are going to resolve themselves sooner or later, probably sooner

Point is, it might get delayed, but it's not a lock. Until Sony says otherwise, it's a 2021 game.

We don't even have an announced date for Forza and people assume it is a 2021 title too... so.

Nah. If Microsoft said "Fable 2021" would you seriously believe it just because they said so...? It's nothing but marketing to make people think they need these boxes sooner than they do.

People assume Forza is 2021 presumably because we were shocked it wasn't arriving in the launch window. I was. And Nintendo "stacked" 2017 with two big releases in the launch year launch of a console following their biggest failure. Not 4 of their big IPs back to back in one year. Kinda incomparable.

Obviously I'm not a medium, I don't know that it won't hit 2021, it just goes against all better judgement to think so.

Uncharted 4: delayed several times
Horizon: delayed
The Last of Us 2: delayed several times
Persona 5: delayed
Bloodborne: delayed
Gran Turismo Sport: delayed
God of War: kind of delayed (voice actor changed 2017 to 2018 in Twitter bio a month prior to date reveal)

They don't have a great track record with this stuff.

Last edited:

Caio

Phil be like...

original.gif

This.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I think its more like Netflix than mobile gaming tbh , Microsoft want u in their echo system just pay us 15 dollar and even if u have a pc mobile or an Xbox just play our vast library instantly
Is this the answer ? Who knows but u just can't deny the unbelievable value that xbox provides with gamepass atm for someone who just got a new xbox
Just for the price of demon souls u can get a year of gamepass ultimate and 100s of triple a games

Yeah, the maths still do not work for me.. like the “oh digital games will be cheaper because of not having any middle man, etc...”... how did it turn out ;)?

diffusionx

Gold Member
Nah. If Microsoft said "Fable 2021" would you seriously believe it just because they said so...? It's nothing but marketing to make people think they need these boxes sooner than they do.

People assume Forza is 2021 presumably because we were shocked it wasn't arriving in the launch window. I was. And Nintendo "stacked" 2017 with two big releases in the launch year launch of a console following their biggest failure. Not 4 of their big IPs back to back in one year. Kinda incomparable.

Obviously I'm not a medium, I don't know that it won't hit 2021, it just goes against all better judgement to think so.

God of War: kind of delayed (voice actor changed 2017 to 2018 in Twitter bio a month prior to date reveal)

It's not a matter of "believing", as I don't really care, but yes, if MS said Fable was coming out in 2021, I would take them at their word until proven otherwise. They can't just lie and make shit up, because people make financial projections and trade the stock based on this information.

If the game gets delayed the game gets delayed, but now, it's still a 2021 game. From my POV, it makes sense to deliver games to PS5 owners and would-be owners as fast as possible, and I mean, Sony released two massive AAA games within 30 days of each other just this year, I know this year is weird and unique, but I don't see any issue with released HFW and GOW2 in the same year or even season.

Last edited:

AV

It's not a matter of "believing", as I don't really care, but yes, if MS said Fable was coming out in 2021, I would take them at their word until proven otherwise. They can't just lie and make shit up, because people make financial projections and trade the stock based on this information.

If the game gets delayed the game gets delayed, but now, it's still a 2021 game.

They very much can just make shit up because it's not a "lie" as such, no-one can prove the game wasn't going to be released at that time. Hence that long list of massive PS4 exclusives that were delayed beyond the initially proposed window to some degree. Certainly hasn't hurt their stock value considering it's at about 5x what it was before PS4 launched.

But yeah, doesn't really make much difference to either of us, the game's out when it's out. Just pointing out the obvious, it's not releasing next year.

Larlight

The first point makes sense. They announced GOW2 in September. We were already 6 months into Covid by then. They would have already accounted for the possibility of a delay if Covid was affecting them. Also Sony devs seem to know how to manage their development pretty well as far as I can see. All the launch titles by their first party were able to launch with the PS5. Ratchet will be out launch window as well as the other games slated for 2021. Not all devs seem to be affected by Covid.

kriolo

yes it is a dissapointment if you're looking for a brand new next gen experience, but i can't barely hear it, playing my backlog with fast loading and higher fps and having a great time with it.I feel like i bought a new case,videocard and a fast ssd for my one x

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned

It only shows a logo just like Metroid Prime 4 though.

elenapska

I will never understand why Microsoft did not move away from the Xbox ONE brand:

- Picking a better name. XBOX 5X / XBOX 5S
- Changing the logo and marketing design (maybe using a different green, or slogan)
- Changing the UI (leaving XBO behind), They needed to cut any relation with the Xbox ONE
- And of course the fricking controller. YES, I know the XB Controller is really good. but why not add anything revolutionary in over 7 years?

They have power, the best BC (3 generations), best services (game pass), good first parties, but I think they are taking some bad decisions

Last edited:

Humdinger

This is kind of what I expected, given how solid the X1X was, as a piece of hardware. There just isn't the jump between X1X and XSX as there is between Pro and PS5.

Then you add in the lack of any big games within the launch window and the lack of any real controller upgrade, and I can see how it would seem like an unexciting upgrade, rather than a genuine leap forward.

But then, MS has made it clear, they don't believe in generations, so it makes sense that there wouldn't be much of a "next gen" feeling here. Might've helped if they had some launch games, but that didn't pan out.

belmarduk

Yikes.
That's some seriously disappointing sales for the Xbox Series.
It seems like a mistake to release simultaneously with the PS5.
At the very least, they should have waited for an exclusive game everybody will want (ie Fable, Halo) to come out with the new console.

I don't know how you guys are disapointed unless your fan boys. Sony released a system that is breaking like crazy and you seem ok with that. I don't get why that isn't bigger news

I don't know how you guys are disapointed unless your fan boys. Sony released a system that is breaking like crazy and you seem ok with that. I don't get why that isn't bigger news

how ?
releasing a console with no games, the same goddamn controller with batteries, same UI, games performing worse than PS5 versions...
why would I be excited about the same experience I can have on Xbox One X

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
This thread and its responses are 2020's biggest disappointment. Considering we knew exactly what games were coming out this year for series X, before we bought the machine, there is nothing to be disappointed about, as adults, we knew what we were buying. The article is bassically a man-baby whining after the fact.

While it's a tad disappointing there isn't a better launch lineup, the machine is still a very, very nice gaming machine.

Papacheeks

Banned

I would argue every one of those games that got delayed all ended up being quality and reviewed well minus GT7 and TLOUS2 which was a more divided title. Persona is not first party. Playstation had no control over that game. Gog of war never was delayed just pushed back a couple weeks. It still released in April of 2018.

Uncharted 4 from my understanding had a lot of issues mainly dev tools from PS3-PS4. Same with Bloodborne, and Gran Turismo.

Now that tools are not changing because the arch is staying the same and they bascially can scale their work to the new hardware, is the reason we are seeing gameplay for GT 7, RATCHET, RETURNAL, and had launch games like Demon Souls, Miles, sackboy, astro.

All those tools and engines were already built and able to scale to the new hardware with all the added complexities like ray traced effects.

Covid is the only big facture that some of these get delayed. But from what I know ratchet, GT7, Returnal will be early 2021. Horizon may get pushed to 2022. But I hear that game is very far along.

This thread and its responses are 2020's biggest disappointment. Considering we knew exactly what games were coming out this year for series X, before we bought the machine, there is nothing to be disappointed about, as adults, we knew what we were buying. The article is bassically a man-baby whining after the fact.

While it's a tad disappointing there isn't a better launch lineup, the machine is still a very, very nice gaming machine.

i think the issue is one platform has a habit of delaying games that end up not being good or having issues with launch. The other delays games but a lot of the time if not all those games always come out quality.

MS showed off their console in December 2019, previewed the medium, halo, scorn which all got delayed. Scorn ill give you that it was super early development and no real tentative date was posted. But medium and halo were talked about at nauseas. Halo was literally on the back of all the xbox packaging and had a deal with Monster energy.

One looks like they have their shit together the other looks like on the outside everything is fine but on the inside there are serious fires. And with all this money spent, changes made, and emphasis on games library they have little anything new that makes you think your getting a new experience.

Sony is giving you next gen, and a different experience regardless if it's adopted well with the dual sense.

Last edited:
Sure its a disappointment but I have a feeling it will turn around. Haven't played one game on it yet as its Demons Souls all the time but I ordered a Elite controller today.

I have faith they can improve the suckiness.

how ?
releasing a console with no games, the same goddamn controller with batteries, same UI, games performing worse than PS5 versions...
why would I be excited about the same experience I can have on Xbox One X

Because it works and it still is playing games great. I'm loving assassins creed and the ui is across all platforms now. Im going to own both systems but all the ps5 games you can play on ps4. Even demon souls will be there within the year. I played MM on ps4. Sure more games would be nice on xbox. I wish halo was there. Release it when its ready. spiderman mm has a lot of glitches. I dont see the same energy for that. in terms of the controller. All my battery pacts work on it that I bought 7 years ago and my old controllers work so my daughter can play games with me. no spending 70 on another controller that is also having stick drift issues. Again ill have both systems but id be more upset with sony for releasing faulty hardware As I was when xbox had faulty hardware on 360

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
What? Demons Souls does RTGI on XSX?
I know all the focus is on reflections right now, but I thought it did RT light and shadows?

Trying to find info on it is like a mystery. I could be wrong tho.

LucidFlux

I think if I was already in the Xbox ecosystem (haven't been since the 360) then I would have been perfectly happy with a Series X, but not knowing when that next killer app was coming would be frustrating.

I often see a dislike for remasters. I don't understand it: I never played Okami on the Wii but discovered the game on PS4 and had a blast.

Ofcourse bad remasters that shit on the original are terrible.

I think if I was already in the Xbox ecosystem (haven't been since the 360) then I would have been perfectly happy with a Series X, but not knowing when that next killer app was coming would be frustrating.

I'm new to the xbox and I couldn't be happier. Gamepass has given me a ton of games to tide me over until exclusives.

LucidFlux

I'm new to the xbox and I couldn't be happier. Gamepass has given me a ton of games to tide me over until exclusives.

That's awesome but Gamepass doesn't align with how I consume content at this point in my life. I buy very few games throughout the year and they tend to be rpgs with a lot of replay-ability. I'm also lucky if I get to game more than a few hours per week nowadays, so I tend to spend a lot of time on a single game before I move on. The fact that games can leave Gamepass doesn't sit well with me.

Sure, for many people it's a great value but I'm not the target audience for it.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I would argue every one of those games that got delayed all ended up being quality and reviewed well minus GT7 and TLOUS2 which was a more divided title. Persona is not first party. Playstation had no control over that game. Gog of war never was delayed just pushed back a couple weeks. It still released in April of 2018.

Uncharted 4 from my understanding had a lot of issues mainly dev tools from PS3-PS4. Same with Bloodborne, and Gran Turismo.

Now that tools are not changing because the arch is staying the same and they bascially can scale their work to the new hardware, is the reason we are seeing gameplay for GT 7, RATCHET, RETURNAL, and had launch games like Demon Souls, Miles, sackboy, astro.

All those tools and engines were already built and able to scale to the new hardware with all the added complexities like ray traced effects.

Covid is the only big facture that some of these get delayed. But from what I know ratchet, GT7, Returnal will be early 2021. Horizon may get pushed to 2022. But I hear that game is very far along.

i think the issue is one platform has a habit of delaying games that end up not being good or having issues with launch. The other delays games but a lot of the time if not all those games always come out quality.

MS showed off their console in December 2019, previewed the medium, halo, scorn which all got delayed. Scorn ill give you that it was super early development and no real tentative date was posted. But medium and halo were talked about at nauseas. Halo was literally on the back of all the xbox packaging and had a deal with Monster energy.

One looks like they have their shit together the other looks like on the outside everything is fine but on the inside there are serious fires. And with all this money spent, changes made, and emphasis on games library they have little anything new that makes you think your getting a new experience.

Sony is giving you next gen, and a different experience regardless if it's adopted well with the dual sense.
Wait Scorn isn't early in its dev, it has been announced in 2015 and the game was supposed to release in 2018.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
It’s officially time for Microsoft to give up on gaming, its time for SONY, God of War period, end of comment. I’ve been saying this Microsoft doesn’t have a feel for gaming.

It’s officially time for Microsoft to give up on gaming, its time for SONY, God of War period, end of comment. I’ve been saying this Microsoft doesn’t have a feel for gaming.

I disagree considering MCC, Sea of thieves and minecraft are doing amazing years later. Just because you don't like them or they dont make games they dont like doesn't mean people dont like them.

S73v3

Banned
I think the feeling of disappointment of series X is partially due to the One X never having a meaty end.

The One X brand just wandered out into the wilderness with few triumphs in the software department.

The Series X showed up with little to show. Some cgi, upgrades to some mediocre live service 1st party games and it's primary game was laughed out of 2020.

Now we wait till 202? To see if MS can deliver.

Xbox's slogan should be "Just wait"

Last edited:
Top Bottom