• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Ubisoft isn't abandoning its open worlds.

nowhat

Why abandoning your open world preset when you can reskin a game over and over under different brand names and make money over blind customers?
Take any modern Ubisoft game, and run to some direction, then take a 180 degree turn and run to the opposite direction.

I swear that animation ("sliding" a bit before changing the direction of the movement) has been the same since AC2. Perhaps the original AC even, haven't played it.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Especially when open world games are the new trend, developers are getting more comfortable with open world, too.

Tsukumo

Vivendi going after them was the best thing that could ever happen to Ubisoft. The quality of their entire catalogue has being increasing ever since.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
i wish a lot that ubisoft still use their best engine for more marvelous games and less open worlds like Far Cry or Assassins creed.

UbiArt_Framework.jpg

Last edited:

brap

Banned
Everybody complaining about it are just dogs barking at cars going by. Their games continue to sell millions of copies and make who knows how much money after release in microtransactions. The formula is successful because a lot of people really enjoy their games.
Their formula is successful because most people are idiots.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
He adds that the 60 hour average play time for Odyssey proves that "players got a lot from their investment in the game, a lot more than they got before."

Assassin's Creed is like a 40lb bucket of Cream of Wheat. Draw your own conclusions.

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't give a fuck if they continue the watchtower, rando activities, mindless checklist for 20 more years in their own little corner. Unless the concept is really really cool sounding, I'll pass on it. I won't even shame people that like it. Pots and lids. Pots and lids. I care they are monetizing it in scumbag, obvious ways and some people play defense for it. I care that it pushes the waterline further and further on the rest of the industry to more scam tactics in monetizations.

Last edited:

Revenile

The only part that saddens me here is the fact that we will probably never see another great Prince of Persia game. Sands of Time trilogy was legendary, I liked 2008, and Forgotten sands wasn't fantastic, but it wasn't bad either. I've been hoping for a new PoP game maybe with a story book aesthetic and another SoT style fairy tale like story to it for years.

yurinka

Ubisoft doesn't abandon open world games because their open world games sell many millions of units. They also make games of a lot of other genres, don't need to stop making open world games o make games of other genres and sizes.

Shifty

Shocking news: Ubisoft to continue along the path of making soulless open world checkbox simulators.

I remember when they used to be cool :messenger_frowning_

brian0057

Banned
I want more of this, Ubisoft:

Valiant_Hearts_The_Great_War.jpg
cover_large.jpg
bcc3ed8d-9bec-4783-b15b-b31eaeffbe60.jpg

Your sub par open worlds with endless collectibles, maps with icons that would make Jackson Pollock dry heave, cookie-cutter towers, and pointless side-quests can go fuck themselves.

Top Bottom