• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why White People Don't Use White Emoji

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kacho

I use the whitest emoji available but I'm no where near that pasty. I used the skin tone one up from that for a while but it's way too dark so I bumped it back down. 👍🏻

JDB

Banned
DYk2tEX.png

What does everyone think of this article that basically suggests that it's racist for a white person to use emoji?

I understand his points and perhaps agree with the idea of a muppet-coloured default or perhaps a silent camera-based colour grading on phone setup. But to suggest it's racist for white people to use any emoji and that we should stop until alternatives are found? I thought it was satire.

Henkka

Banned
The idea that an emoji should represent my skin tone/gender/profession is odd. They should represent my emotions, which are universal to all humans. I guess yellow is so close to "white" that it's not seen as neutral enough? Maybe if they had been green or purple from the start, nobody would have an issue.

wtf is a white emoji?

No idea, i'm glad people have put up some examples because on my Windows Phone the people icons are kind of brown-grey with the standard yellow for the smileys. There again, i don't even know if my Windows Phone has emojis, at least not like Android & iOS.

The reason i wouldn't use a white emoji is because it would be lost as most people i know their phone have a white background.

mantidor

What does everyone think of this article that basically suggests that it's racist for a white person to use emoji?

I understand his points and perhaps agree with the idea of a muppet-coloured default or perhaps a silent camera-based colour grading on phone setup. But to suggest it's racist for white people to use any emoji and that we should stop until alternatives are found? I thought it was satire.

The whole argument is based in that yellow emoji are also "white", and the support to that is The Simpsons and Unicode calling the yellow emoji "white"...
I have only one response: 🙄🙄🙄🙄

It seriously feels we are going into some bizarre society in which white people are going to be racist by default. The irony would be hilarious if it wasn't so gross.

Ceres

Banned
I randomly selected all my emojis 🙎🏽🙍🏾💇🙅🏿💁🏼🙇🏾🙋🏻

ppor

Or maybe white people just use the yellow ones because why not? Yellow has been a stand in for white ever since the Simpsons, which is weird considering it's also a slur for Asians.

Always found this funny in the Simpsons, Asian people=white skin, White people=yellow skin

zsf1x0y.png

h55zLsT.jpg

Xis

so is the term smiley never used anymore? because I despise the word emoji.

Emoji is the correct technical term for the unicode characters. Smiley is a term which may refer to many different things; in particular emoticons, which are concatenated ASCII characters. The two are similar but not the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom