• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Why you haven’t seen a sit-down Biden interview yet

Tesseract

Banned
Dec 7, 2008

The new president is most definitely not his predecessor, especially when it comes to media presence.

... 'As main protagonists go, Biden’s role has been comparatively limited — a startling contrast to the omnipresent president who preceded him. Donald Trump didn’t so much love the spotlight as he sought to totally consume it. Whether he was sending Twitter screeds at all hours or shouting answers over the ear-splitting blades of his presidential aircraft, Trump craved media attention like no American leader before him.'

'Biden’s current approach is nearly the antithesis. It also stands in contrast to how he operated earlier in his career. As a senator, he was known for his loquaciousness. As vice president, there was an ever-simmering fear in the White House that he would trample on the message of the day with his proclivity to freelance (a fear that often did not become realized).'

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
Dec 7, 2008
think he's doing a decent job, the eo output is impressive with no signs of slowing

white house gov has been modernized replete with dark theme and snappy layout

GeorgPrime

Bonus Member
Jan 9, 2020
think he's doing a decent job, the eo output is impressive with no signs of slowing

white house gov has been modernized replete with dark theme and snappy layout

Joe Biden "Dictators rule through executive orders... let me sign those 42 executive orders"

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
Dec 7, 2008
'Executive Order on Establishing President's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology.' Reestablishes the President's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology. Moving forward, the council will advise Biden on policy that affects science, technology and innovation.

sorta based and blessed, tbh

Jan 10, 2021
I'm surprised OP didn't say it's because he's
thought it was cause he's a braindead puppet
Ah right okay my position has been voiced already.

Yeah, i think we've had enough of a president shouting in our ear holes to last a lifetime :messenger_tears_of_joy: i don't wanna hear biden's personal opinion on anything until he's talking about which Turkey he pardoned.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Tesseract

Tesseract

Banned
Dec 7, 2008
I'm surprised OP didn't say it's because he's

Ah right okay my position has been voiced already.

Yeah, i think we've had enough of a president shouting in our ear holes to last a lifetime :messenger_tears_of_joy: i don't wanna hear biden's personal opinion on anything until he's talking about which Turkey he pardoned.
tend to support the president regardless of allegiences, get ahead of the game enough to not worry about partisan hackery

the puppetry stuff has some bite, especially whenever clear paths are ignored (ideological differences permitting, i expect biden to read and comprehend the ipcc reports / accord enforcement mechanisms, for example)

BadBurger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2019
Well, yea. I mean, Biden is actually doing the job. He isn't watching TV, golfing, or tweeting all day. He actually attends the daily briefings.

People harp on him for signing a lot of executive orders but he needs to fix the mess Trump left behind with all of this. Once the flurry is done we'll see even more return-to-normal boring politics from him as well. And thank God for that. We just went through four years of bizarre reality TV presidency.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
Dec 7, 2008
Well, yea. I mean, Biden is actually doing the job. He isn't watching TV, golfing, or tweeting all day. He actually attends the daily briefings.

People harp on him for signing a lot of executive orders but he needs to fix the mess Trump left behind with all of this. Once the flurry is done we'll see even more return-to-normal boring politics from him as well. And thank God for that. We just went through four years of bizarre reality TV presidency.
don't think it's a matter of biden doing his job, trump crushed it over 4 years with plenty of prevailing policy

curious what's the big mess that needs fixing, climate change?

BadBurger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2019
don't think it's a matter of biden doing his job, trump crushed it over 4 years with plenty of prevailing policy

curious what's the big mess that needs fixing, climate change?

Trump pretty much gutted the federal government, leaving many positions unfilled or filled with unqualified people. He rolled back many of the things the US had been working on for the better part of ten years, either directly or through the actions of appointed officials (such as with the FCC).

I don't think Biden had much of a choice but to directly undo all of that and get to work hiring people.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
Dec 7, 2008
Trump pretty much gutted the federal government, leaving many positions unfilled or filled with unqualified people. He rolled back many of the things the US had been working on for the better part of ten years, either directly or through the actions of appointed officials (such as with the FCC).

I don't Biden had much of a choice but to directly undo all of that and get to work hiring people.
right, i see those as good things but we may respectfully diverge here for obvious reasons

i'd like the marketplace to step up

Jan 10, 2021
tend to support the president regardless of allegiences, get ahead of the game enough to not worry about partisan hackery
Like it
the puppetry stuff has some bite, especially whenever clear paths are ignored (ideological differences permitting, i expect biden to read and comprehend the ipcc reports / accord enforcement mechanisms, for example)
I would assume he doesn't think it's an option.

Judging by bipartisan precedent i think he is inclined to take whatever the vastly qualified civil servants compiling his briefings determine to be relevant seriously.

Puppetry is a thing. George W Bush is a pretty obvious example but I'm sure every president from either side of the aisle has been controlled by his own staff to some degree.

Actually to be honest i think it is probably the very essence of the role of potus to be a puppet to the mechanisms of the government - he isn't qualified to make final judgements on anything, so in theory i guess he doesn't do that unless his brain is saturated with good advice.

...ideally

Arkam

Jan 21, 2012
Here, Now and maybe later
This feels a lot like when Jerry Brown came in after Arnold Schwarzenegger. An ancient milk toast life long politician. I am going to assume the results will be the same. But hopefully the next cat is someone that cannot be compared to the worthless Newsom.

• Fire

zcaa0g

Sep 3, 2018

What mess?

• Thoughtful

BadBurger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2019
What mess?

I could post a litany of examples but let's just start with him undoing the body formed to react to the exact kind of pandemic we're going through, along with the partner body that was formed to quickly distribute vaccines in such a scenario. By the time this is done we're going to be facing over 600k deaths and a recovery retarded by at least a year because he eliminated those bodies and filled healthcare official positions with people that couldn't or wouldn't do the job.

Then there's the mail, the FCC, economic bodies like urban development being led by an uncaring physician, the department of energy led for a time by a guy who didn't even understand what it did, regulatory capture across the board, etc, etc, etc.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful

Sejan

Sep 28, 2018

Gotta sign all those important executive orders that it harder for opioid addicts to get treatment and health departments to charge more for prescriptions.

Biden isn’t doing anything because he thinks it the right thing to do. He is doing all of this because democrats want to stick it to the man. Trump was the only president in modern history to see opioid over death decrease in modern history and Biden is taking steps to make it worse to show Trump. Biden is breaking campaign promises left and right while governing in a way that he described as a dictator because democrats have a hate boner for Trump. This means of governing is childish and only hurts the American people as a whole while proving that he doesn’t respect his voters enough to even honor the promises that he made on the campaign trail for two weeks.

• Fire

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013

Fuck Outta Here No Way GIF by Desus & Mero

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018

signing EO's that make the country worse is clearly cleaning up a mess. :rolleyes:

Biden isn’t doing anything because he thinks it the right thing to do. He is doing all of this because democrats want to stick it to the man. Trump was the only president in modern history to see opioid over death decrease in modern history and Biden is taking steps to make it worse to show Trump.

Democrats are just pro-opoid death, right BadBurger BadBurger

Last edited:

HE1NZ

Apr 9, 2019
We moved from the most transparent administration ever to the least transparent. You can probably expect that there won't be any firings or personnel changes in 4 years, because the decision making won't be happening in the White House. The media will call it return to "normal".

Feb 3, 2015
We moved from the most transparent administration ever to the least transparent. You can probably expect that there won't be any firings or personnel changes in 4 years, because the decision making won't be happening in the White House. The media will call it return to "normal".
Not sure if serious. The Trump admin went 300+ days without a press briefing. They didn’t like questions, because questions were considered ‘attacks’.

It’s ok to say ‘they outright lied to the press, and I liked that’.

Damian black

Feb 9, 2019
Not sure if serious. The Trump admin went 300+ days without a press briefing. They didn’t like questions, because questions were considered ‘attacks’.

It’s ok to say ‘they outright lied to the press, and I liked that’.

The coverage of the trump administration by the media has been nothing but laughable but, if you think it was fair, more power to you I guess?

Reactions: Brazen
Feb 3, 2015
The coverage of the trump administration by the media has been nothing but laughable but, if you think it was fair, more power to you I guess?
I’m sure we will disagree on that, but either way the coverage they got has nothing to do with them being transparent or not.

regawdless

Gold Member
Sep 21, 2020
I believe Kamala will be way more present once she takes over. Joe even has issues reading from the teleprompter, fighting against his mumbling. I don't think he will be able to do it for longer than two years, max.

sackings

Jul 22, 2020
You wont see him outside of required speeches (sotu). Theres no freaking way they let him sit alone in a room with Putin/Xi/etc

• Fire

Ten_Fold

Jan 18, 2017
Nobody really cares about Biden, he isn’t exactly interesting, we just want him to fix the pandemic and that’s it.

Trump was on some white gangsta shit, he didn’t give a fuck and said whatever he wanted. It was funny and exciting because you didn’t know what he was gonna do next.

Reactions: HeresJohnny

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
Nobody really cares about Biden, he isn’t exactly interesting, we just want him to fix the pandemic and that’s it.

Trump was on some white gangsta shit, he didn’t give a fuck and said whatever he wanted. It was funny and exciting because you didn’t know what he was gonna do next.

Don’t sell Biden short — he doesn’t know what he’s gonna say next either.

BadBurger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2019
signing EO's that make the country worse is clearly cleaning up a mess. :rolleyes:

Democrats are just pro-opoid death, right BadBurger BadBurger

I don't know what your beef is with me, we obviously disagree on politics but you seem like an OK guy. I don't understand why you think I or other Democrats would be "pro opioid death" or whatever. I also am unaware of why trying to expand healthcare coverage would somehow lead to more deaths of this nature.

Anyways here's an olive branch, take some NeoGAF gold and leave me alone :D