• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.
AndyMoogle said:
It's not so much about immersion as it's about being able to see the actual game. I hate most HUDs because they are too far into the screen and too big. Twilight Princess for example has an horrendous HUD that takes up way too much space and it's ridiculous how far into the screen it is. I hate that shit. I don't need to be spoon fed info every single second I play the game.

If I want to check that extra info, I can do a quick glance down at the controller while running, driving or watching a cutscene. It takes like 2 seconds at most and it won't interrupt the actual gameplay.

That's partially a resolution thing. On SDTVs, smaller HUDs are harder to read and glean information from.

TL;DR is only bannable if that's your response to the post. I.e. quote the post and just write TL;DR. His response wasn't quite that bad.

Taker666

cuevas said:
And die while you are not paying attention the screen.

and why is that a problem?It could equally be argued that such functionality would add to the intensity, challenge and realism of the game.

Something like Resident Evil would far more intense if you HAD to select weapons in real time without the safety of the inventory screen pause.

KrawlMan

cuevas said:
And die while you are not paying attention the screen.

Dead space doesn't stop the game when you go to your inventory. I know you are making the case with Zelda, but I don't see why you would have to die when you interact with an inventory on the bottom screen w/out a "pause".

If you've familiarized yourself with the inventory screen of the game (and its designed well) nothing will stop a player from quickly glancing down, tapping to equip something and then looking up again.

jacksrb

manueldelalas said:
Nobody knows. Rumor says around 800x500; 6'' 800x480 are typical touchscreens for many chinese GPSs, so that could be it, if they use that, they could run games at a resolution of 800x450 for 16/9 ratio and have 30 extra pixels for some buttons... in the end, it'll depend on the game.

Aha! That makes perfect sense. Thanks.

I wonder if the machine could handle streaming an old VC SNES game to one controller while someone else plays on the TV?

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
jacksrb said:
Aha! That makes perfect sense. Thanks.

I wonder if the machine could handle streaming an old VC SNES game to one controller while someone else plays on the TV?
That will depend if Nintendo lets you do it or not. The console shouldn't have any problem displaying one game on the TV and streaming another to a controller (I expect you to go with your controller (which may be able to store e-books and play small minigames) to a game store and watch/play demos of cafe games), but I wouldn't count on it, because it's probably not the point of the screen in the controller.

bidaum

Taker666 said:
and why is that a problem?It could equally be argued that such functionality would add to the intensity, challenge and realism of the game.

Something like Resident Evil would far more intense if you HAD to select weapons in real time without the safety of the inventory screen pause.
Resident Evil doesn't have a screen pause for inventory, it's difficult.

disap.ed

Fourth Storm said:
Just for the hell of it, here's what I'd like to see out of the specs:

CPU: Tricore PPC. OoOE. 4 Ghz. Large L2 cache.
GPU: Revamped R700 with power approximating the 4870. 24 MB eDRAM.
RAM: 2 GB GDDR5
Media: Nintendo Optical Disc with blue laser technology
Storage: 16 GB internal flash. Expandable via SD card and detachable external HDD.
Ports: USB, Ethernet, optical out, HDMI.
Sensor Bar: Rechargeable wireless with included USB cable.

This would be my guess too, but I don't expect it to clock so high, maybe only 1GB of RAM but 27MB eDRAM (24+2+1 for Wii bc)

Vinci

Danish
cuevas said:
Yeah it does that great. Oh well it's not like these casuals are buying games for the Wii anyways.

More games have been sold for the Wii than any other single consoles or the DS. So yes, people buy games for it.

Vinci said:
More games have been sold for the Wii than any other single consoles or the DS. So yes, people buy games for it.

Numbers wise, yes. However those numbers also declined sharply over the past two years, consoles and games. 360 and PS3 still do brisk console and game business though.

StevieP

Banned
cuevas said:
Yeah it does that great. Oh well it's not like these casuals are buying games for the Wii anyways.

Based on this article from Gamasutra on the March NPD, you are wrong (at least where North America is concerned):

Gamasutra said:
The Wii, with its installed base of over 35 million units, clearly leads in terms of total software sold. We also note that the Wii launched a full year after the Xbox 360, so it has moved significantly more software per year on average than has Microsoft's platform. By our estimates, about 50 million fewer units of PS3 software have been sold at this point in the system's lifetime than Xbox 360 software at the comparable point in its lifetime (i.e. March 2010).

While the figure above gives a clear image of where the platforms stand on total software, we think it is also instructive to look at the average rate of sales over shorter periods of time.

Let us consider the current-generation console market to consist of the Wii, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3. Then in the last fifteen months, the Wii has accounted for 38 percent of software unit sales while the Xbox 360 has accounted for 36 percent. The PlayStation 3 claimed the remaining 26 percent.

In the 15 months prior to that period (i.e. from October 2008 through December 2009), we estimate that the breakdown was 48 percent for the Wii, 32 percent for the Xbox 360, and 20 percent for the PlayStation 3.

ltd-software-sales-march-2011.png

The problem with the Wii was that third parties made little compelling software, and mostly using B,C,D,F-teams. What was there was poorly marketed. Nintendo's direction with the 3DS in holding back first party software (sigh) and this rumoured regression to dual-analog (sigh) seems to indicate a bowing to pressure in that regard.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Fucking excellent job Retro. Your last few posts describing some of the potential functions of a screen in controller were brilliant.

Retro said:
You can't read subtitles on one screen and watch the cinematic on another.
I could argue that when you're sitting reading on-screen subtitles, you're not watching the cinematic either, but there is a difference between glancing at the bottom of the screen and glancing at your hands. I tend to turn subtitles on so if the game's dialogue isn't clear or I didn't hear something correctly, I can check it.

But yes, some people say that subtitles are intrusive. Putting them on a separate screen does make the main screen more cinematic, which is the title under which this particular bullet point fell.

Most FPSs you aren't going to want to look away from the main screen.

1. The point you are discussing is listed as specific to privacy during split-screen gameplay, a situation where you don't want other players to see specific details. If you've got a mini-map in the corner of your part of the screen, the other player can use that to find you.

2. I think the difference between an on-screen HUD and a personal screen is negligible. This sounds like the complaint people made about the DS when it was first shown too. You can look at two things fairly quickly anyways.

3. Do you look at your radar in the middle of a firefight anyways? Have you ever been taken by surprise while glancing at your on-screen radar? Most people would answer yes.

4. I have a deep dislike of Peter Molyeneux, but I have to agree with his personal philosophy on minimaps; "Mini-maps are shit. They're shit because you make these multimillion-dollar games, and people play them staring at these little dots.". By putting the radar on a personal screen, you're taking away or diminishing the ability to 'play by the radar', navigating by the information on the tiny map instead of what's happening on the screen. I would argue this is a more immersive experience.

I guarantee you no one is going to look away from a fight to check their meter, even for an instant. For that matter, knowing the other guy's meter is often a big part of strategy.

You are aware that people have peripheral vision, yes? I don't need to glance directly at something to garner info from it. A quick glance down at a gauge on my personal screen can tell me if my gauge is half full, almost full, etc.

Additionally, I think that knowing when the other guy has the capacity to unleash a devastating super move at any moment plays a huge part of strategy. You may be much more cautious to get near them if you know they can unleash some kind of crazy attack.

And again, this was under the "Split screen privacy" section, which was all about creating experiences that cannot be achieved with all information being on-screen.

What if there was a fighting game where you couldn't see how much life the other guy had? You'd have to judge based on their character's visible damage. Not sure what this has to do with the controller screen

Again; personal privacy section. If you select your characters in secret, it prevents your opponent from picking counter-characters. If you pick a fast character, your opponent won't know and simply pick a fast character to match you. It would lead to less formulaic matches, I feel.

- Dice rolls in an RPG. No reason this needs to be on a separate screen.
It does if you're rolling dice in secret, like the Liar's Dice game in Red Dead Redemption, or even in a sort of Dungeons and Dragons game where one player is in charge of the monsters and traps and the other players are playing heroes.

Try not to think of traditional console games, but what a console could do if there was a way to deliver information via a personal, private interface.

- Hide and go seek. Come on...
Seriously. I shouldn't even need to explain this one, but based on your next quote, I have a feeling I'm wasting my time explaining these things anyways.

In a game where one player hides from another (say, every multiplayer stealth game ever made?), being able to see where the other player is hiding is the root of the entire game. If you're sharing a screen, there's nothing to stop the seeker from finding the hider, whether their glances are unintentional or not ("The bottom screen is red, therefore he is in a room with red lights"). The only way around that is to have individual screens.

Words in my post: 903
Words in The Cat in the Hat: 1629

Maybe you should go have a nap if reading is such a chore.

Yeah, i work with a wacom tablet and i never look at it. Works flawlessly.

Log4Girlz

Things I would like to see with the secondary screen:

Have it be used as a touch pad. No need to look down, you just feel around and use it like any touch pad. Would make RTS games easier to create for this console, and I sorely miss those.

Use it as a keyboard. At anytime you can just look down and type a message, either to friends or for some purpose in the game.

Have extraneous details from a HUD that you do not want on the main screen to be placed on the pad, or even have it customizable.

Have the ability to use game specific apps, perhaps run a FAQ on the screen. Or just keep the stupid tutorial information and pop ups in the beginning of many games to the touchscreen, keeping them unobtrusive if you don't give a shit about the tutorials.

Have the ability to program and use key macros.

Have a totally separate segment of the game or a mini-game playing on the touchscreen. Perhaps I'm remotely manning some robotic sentry on the touchscreen while playing an FPS on the big screen...or giving commands to my squad mates around me...or they are on another mission elsewhere and I'm still able to command them on what to do next. Or I'm touching the map exactly where I need cover fire...or an air strike. Or I'm playing some simulation game and building an empire on the big screen while checking the in-game stock market on the bottom screen or having my other major status updates come to the controller instead of bringing up a menu.

Give me a FPS view on the big screen but a 3rd person or top down view on the touchscreen.

Let me have a detailed inventory up at all times.

Let me have the ability to input gesture specific spells or abilities.

Give me alternate view on the small screen (Like X-ray mode on at all times) or a detailed lore mode. Want to learn more about that cool statue you're looking at? Just look down, more detailed information is already being displayed.

Would be cool to have a game which had you in a present time-line in the top screen, and on the bottom screen you see the same area in the past or future...in a more decrepit or more pristine state. Perhaps you can instantly travel through time when the conditions are favorable (Like hey, that gate is open in the past, let me go back there and do some shit).

Let me see my friends perspective in the bottom screen, whether he is near me or if he's online. I can imagine fun modes or gadgets/weapons that can take advantage of that in an FPS.

None of these are necessary. I think the Xbox 360 pad is about as "necessary" as you're going to get for a console, but they are nice additions and with some playfulness I can see Nintendo and other third parties doing interesting things with the screen. Worth the price IMO.

Edit: Oh and Mario paint or bust.

birdchili

just like any interface design, devs will need to be sensible: what needs to be on the primary display, what can best be put on a secondary, less immediately in-view display.

still... i'm constantly engaging with multiple media sources simultaneously. (and i'm old! (well... relatively)) tv and pc, multiple tabs in browsers, mutiple apps, etc... this is the way people consume media these days. it's not like all games require laser-like focus on the intense action happening on the main screen either; lots of games allow for a more deliberate pace and could benefit from extra (interactive) display real estate.

Hiltz

Square Enix released a statement on the status of Dragon Quest X:

"Development is underway for a release in the course of next year."

The game was announced at the end of 2008 and Square Enix did mention earlier this year in an interview that it is still coming out for th Wii If so, then it will most likely be the last big third-party game for it. I doubt Square Enix would have enough time to swith development over to the Wii's successor.

StevieP

Banned
Hiltz said:

The game was announced at the end of 2008 and Square Enix did mention earlier this year in an interview that it is still coming out for th Wii If so, then it will most likely be the last big third-party game for it. I doubt Square Enix would have enough time to swith development over to the Wii's successor.

However... no platform mention?
I'd say at this point it's more likely to come out for PS360 than it is Wii, since devs have pretty much written the Wii off.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
StevieP said:
I'd say at this point it's more likely to come out for PS360 than it is Wii, since devs have pretty much written the Wii off.

They reconfirmed it for the Wii not too long ago.

sphinx

the piano man
Hiltz said:

incredible, the Wii in 2012 in Japan will be a thing of the past as soon as holidays are gone and yet one of the biggest japanese games of the generation will be released for it.

Amazing.

Dystify

StevieP said:
Haha.

I'd wildly guess you're wrong.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
StevieP said:
Joke post? Sarcasm detector is broken...

StevieP

Banned
Strive said:
Haha.

I'd wildly guess you're wrong.

Read Sphinx's post.

Cuevas - take that tie ratio in for a moment.

Joke post? Sarcasm detector is broken...

No, I'm seriously asking... if the Wii is dead and its successor announced, why release such a giant game to it?

bart64

Banned
Vinci said:
Which is why I think the insistence by some members of this thread of moving the HUD to the controller is confusing. It's easily the least useful and functional suggestion one could make based on the proposition of the screen on the controller.

I agree, i think they have more interesting gameplay ideas planned, rooted more in multiplayer, taking advantage of the fact that you have a private screen. They showed a bunch of ideas in four swords but there is a world of gameplay possibilities built around the idea of hiding information from other players. Just about every card game revolves around privileged information that other players have to guess, and so do a lot of board games.

Nintendo is always interested in the gameplay experience, so I tend to think of them as more of a board game or game card company in their approach. It's not about whether the board game has the coolest looking game pieces or the nicest looking baord art, it's about how infromation is shared or not shared between players.

Retro

Log4Girlz said:
Give me alternate view on the small screen (Like X-ray mode on at all times) or a detailed lore mode. Want to learn more about that cool statue you're looking at? Just look down, more detailed information is already being displayed.

Interesting idea. I'm envisioning a special tool in-game where the controller screen is showing what is underground directly beneath your character, so as you're walking around maybe you find rupees or a special key or something via the screen and can then stomp/dig to get them to the surface.

Log4Girlz said:
Let me see my friends perspective in the bottom screen, whether he is near me or if he's online. I can imagine fun modes or gadgets/weapons that can take advantage of that in an FPS.

A Teammate's perspective would be kind cool too...

Or a FPS with a remote-guided missile you use the touch screen to guide.

Or a tiny camera you can drop somewhere, like just outside the door of a room you're taking cover in, so you can see anyone about to come in and attack you.

Or a Perfect Dark-esque auto-gun that you can track via the personal screen and use as a camera (or monitor it's ammo use). I can hear that god-awesome laptop gun firing sound coming from the controller's speakers and going "hahaha, got another one!" without taking my eyes off the screen.

Log4Girlz said:
Edit: Oh and Mario paint or bust.

Hell yes, I can't believe I had a list of 'drawing controls' and didn't even think of just... drawing games. And with the way social media works now, can you imagine how amazing it would be to tool around in WiiPaint and edit pictures of your friends and attach music and then upload them to youtube?

Great call on that one.

Dystify

StevieP said:
Read Sphinx's post.

Cuevas - take that tie ratio in for a moment.
Oh, I did.

Aside from the fact that it's recently been reconfirmed for the Wii the chance of it moving platforms is extremely low, considering how Horii handles the series. I kind of assumed he made a joke post, but wasn't sure.

Pimpbaa

Retro said:
Sometimes, I'd rather lean back and relax on the couch in a well-lit room and play on a big ass TV with comfortable, ergonomic controller than sit hunched over my desk for hours tapping at a keyboard by the light of a desk lamp.

I do that on my pc EVERY FUCKING DAY. Stop being fucking stupid and using this overused asinine argument against PCs.

birdchili

StevieP said:
No, I'm seriously asking... if the Wii is dead and its successor announced, why release such a giant game to it?
people will buy it anyway?

(i'm not suggesting that it's an ideal situation for them, but they'll be better off overall just releasing it for wii and making a smart call about where to put xi when the time comes).

edit: they could release it with a puff-puff-branded feather duster.

StevieP

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
I do that on my pc EVERY FUCKING DAY. Stop being fucking stupid and using this overused asinine argument against PCs.

I already covered that on the last page:
StevieP said:
Not the PCs don't work on a comfy couch argument again :(

DSCF0279.jpg

My PC looks like that. It has a beefy new quad core i5 CPU with a motherboard that auto-overclocked it to 4.5ghz, 4TB of space, 8GB of DDR3, 2 ATI 5850s in Crossfire with 1GB of DDR5 each, and has the following controlleres hooked up to it:

- wireless keyboard+mouse
- 2 x360-style wireless pads with dual-analog and rumble
- 2 wiimote+nunchucks via bluetooth (in addition to the 4 I have for the Wii) with an extended-range wireless sensor bar

And it's hooked up with the following on the back
- 1 network cable (wireless is just as easy)
- 1 power cable
- 1 HDMI cable

And it's connected to a:
- 120" projection screen via a Sanyo PLV-Z3000 1080P 120hz projector
- 7.2 surround system (yes, .2)

What's my point? I don't really have one aside from the fact that I enjoy both console and PC gaming from the comforts of my comfy couch, despite the 8 hours a day I spend sitting in front of a computer screen. Sorry for the thread derail:

What's my *actual* point? I still say that having a distraction like streaming games to a small screen on a controller will not make me a happy camper with my setup. Not just for the fact that my room is pitch black when I game (due to the nature of a projector) and it would impede my vision to have a small bright screen directly in front of me. But also for the fact that it's a dual-analog controller rather than a split one, which I vastly prefer for comfort and functionality.

Although truth be told, I can see the benefits of a closed platform as well (if developers were to actually optimize for it).

Oh, I did.

Aside from the fact that it's recently been reconfirmed for the Wii the chance of it moving platforms is extremely low, considering how Horii handles the series. I kind of assumed he made a joke post, but wasn't sure.

The only reason I'd even say what I said is the perception of the Wii being dead software wise, especially since development by most parties have shifted to its successor.

watershed

Banned
Retro said:
Or a Perfect Dark-esque auto-gun that you can track via the personal screen and use as a camera (or monitor it's ammo use). I can hear that god-awesome laptop gun firing sound coming from the controller's speakers and going "hahaha, got another one!" without taking my eyes off the screen.
QUOTE]

Okay this needs to happen. I loved the laptop gun in perfect dark. It would be so cool to have its perspective on the 6" screen gunning down unsuspecting opponents.

Retro

Pimpbaa said:

If PCs are the most evolved gaming platform, why we still got monkeys consoles?

Joking aside, nobody is 'against' PCs, we're discussing the merits of game consoles being just game consoles instead of all-in-one media centers (a task better suited to PCs anyways). And I would say that people with PCs in their living rooms are the exception rather than the norm.

The Dragon Quest series has never been handled as such. It's announced for the Wii, it was reconfirmed for the Wii not long ago--it's coming to the Wii. Any other reckoning is a pipe-dream.

'Dead Platform' : See Dragon Quest VII :lol

Tie Ratios /=/ Sales potential...comparative to software sold. Higher hardware sales lead to lower tie ratios. It's always been this way.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
StevieP said:
The only reason I'd even say what I said is the perception of the Wii being dead software wise, especially since development by most parties have shifted to its successor.
Uf... not a joke post... now I'm sad.

The thing is that a game like DQ is the type of game that doesn't need the momentum of the console it's in to sell. A game like DQ ISN'T a system seller (like Mario is), people don't buy a console to play DQ; people buy DQ period. That's why DQ games can be released at the very end of a console generation (DQ IV, VI, VII, VIII) and sell tons of titles, because, even though when the game is released, the console itself is in it's last minute, there are a lot of users with the physical console and they will pick their old console to play the game. That's why DQ games are considered the "crown" of the system.

It doesn't matter if the Wii is selling poorly right now, the thing that matters for a DQ game is raw userbase. It makes no sense to release it in the Cafe because it would be a system with no userbase, same with the 3DS; it would make no sense to release it on the PS3 because the usual DQ buyers just aren't gaming there, and it wouldn't make sense to release it on the Xbox 360 because there are literally no japanese 360 players, that console does not sell there period.

StevieP

Banned
Colonel Mustard said:
The Dragon Quest series has never been handled as such. It's announced for the Wii, it was reconfirmed for the Wii not long ago--it's coming to the Wii. Any other reckoning is a pipe-dream.

'Dead Platform' : See Dragon Quest VII :lol

I would tend to agree, based on history. However why not reconfirm it in this statement? They didn't (though the original link wasn't posted, I don't think)

Tie Ratios /=/ Sales potential...comparative to software sold. Higher hardware sales lead to lower tie ratios. It's always been this way.

Thank you. Being the lead platform is a bitch in many respects. The Wii's had the toughest battle being the lead platform where history has been concerned, thanks mostly to 3rd parties continually snubbing it. It's still sold the most software, first and third party combined.

It doesn't matter if the Wii is selling poorly right now, the thing that matters for a DQ game is raw userbase. It makes no sense to release it in the Cafe because it would be a system with no userbase, same with the 3DS; it would make no sense to release it on the PS3 because the usual DQ buyers just aren't gaming there, and it wouldn't make sense to release it on the Xbox 360 because there are literally no japanese 360 players, that console does not sell there period.

Unfortunately, some devs (especially western ones) consider PS360 having a "larger userbase" as a combined number. Perhaps they are thinking about pulling a Twilight Princess in regard to Wii and Cafe? I just don't see why they'd make that statement without a platform attached to it.

StevieP said:

lol. Almost a month ago Horii reconfirmed it for the Wii said it was almost done and more info would come later this year.

cuevas said:
?????????????????????????????????????

Good job. The fact that 360 owners buy almost 2 more games on average certainly does validate this point.

cuevas said:
it's not like these casuals are buying games for the Wii anyways.

7.2 is basically equal to 0 while 8.9 is significantly high.

Yeah because I want to play with a M&K laying down and play PC games with an Xbox controller...oh wait, no.

EskimoJoe said:
Good job. The fact that 360 owners buy almost 2 more games on average certainly does validate this point.

Who do you think is bringing that number down? The "hardcore gamers"? Naw bro, naw.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
StevieP said:
I would tend to agree, based on history. However why not reconfirm it in this statement? They didn't (though the original link wasn't posted, I don't think)
Reconfirmed a few days ago, no big deal.
StevieP said:
Thank you. Being the lead platform is a bitch in many respects. The Wii's had the toughest battle being the lead platform where history has been concerned, thanks mostly to 3rd parties continually snubbing it. It's still sold the most software, first and third party combined.
Everybody knows the toughest battle was the Snes/Genesis one, won last minute by the Snes.
StevieP said:
Unfortunately, some devs (especially western ones) consider PS360 having a "larger userbase" as a combined number. Perhaps they are thinking about pulling a Twilight Princess in regard to Wii and Cafe? I just don't see why they'd make that statement without a platform attached to it.
That's because most games rely on active user base to sell. It's not the case of DQ, it has never been. Pulling TP on Wii - Cafe is stupid. The hardware difference is enormous. The most you'll get is Zelda OOS type of bonus, but that is highly unlikely.

Again, the statement was made a few days ago. This is the deal: Do you want DQ X? You'll have to play it on the Wii or wait 20 years until it is remade.

artwalknoon said:
Okay time for more rumors from Emily Rogers. I want to go on record as calling this complete bull even though I'd like to be wrong. Its a list of developers working on the Cafe with an internal press document from Nintendo.
http://gameolosophy.com/consoles/wii/rumor-could-this-be-the-list-of-major-publishers-for-wii-2/

Why even bother faking this stuff? What does she get out of this? Nobody believes this stuff, we all know how it works, and have for years.

This sort of behaviour just bewilders me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom