• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pimpbaa

DECK'ARD said:
In a magical world where lag doesn't exist.

If OnLive can manage to make streaming games playable over the fucking internet, then one would think a device with a dedicated connection just for streaming would be much better.

Freezie KO said:
Different people in the house can play different games at the same time.
Playing a game wont take away the TV.
No annoying split screen.
New ways for 2x playing one game. You can have a "the world ends with you" type game.
The screen can make it easier for the hub to be off screen.

But w/e, I'm still not on board with this.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
_Alkaline_ said:
I refuse to believe Nintendo would get rid of their current console's best feature.

On a side note, I'm surprised no one was interested in the DKCR2 rumour, regardless of its validity (or lack thereof).
This and ditching motion gaming in favour of touch and analog control just seems like a huge step backwards in terms of philosophy. These two pieces of the puzzle do NOT add up with these rumoured specs.

It's bugging me.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I woulder if Nintendo would allow streaming to the 3DS, and if that would tie into the whole 'Cafe' thing. EG: Cafes, stores, and other public places could theoretically set up a system and have it run software, and people with nearby 3DS systems could tap in and play whatever game they have on offer.

AKA: Go to a Cafe, whip out your 3DS, and hook into the Cafe's Cafe.

AniHawk

EmCeeGramr said:
look the important thing is now we can have an hd console trauma center with touchscreen controls

that's pretty much proof of a benevolent god so i think we should all be happy
or we would if the series wasn't dead now.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Vic said:
HANDHELD GAMING FTW!!!

Iwata agrees!:

A: The question was if the value (created by home consoles) or "the rich experiences which could be realized only by home console video game systems" have changed. Until recently, it was true that the focus had been placed significantly on the "rich experiences" which were available because of such advantages as it could use the home electricity and, accordingly, home consoles have less restrictions in terms of power consumption, unlike portable devices which require batteries to operate, and that large and dynamic graphics can be created for the large monitor screens. But are these "rich experiences" the only unique characteristics which could be realized solely by home console video games in the first place?

If such "rich experiences" were actually the only uniqueness, home consoles would lose their meaning when battery-operated portable devices become capable of reproducing similar rich experiences. On the contrary, and this is something which started to be discussed when Wii made its debut in 2006, bigger screen TVs were entering our living rooms around that time, which enabled people to use their living rooms for a more broad range of purposes. More specifically, living rooms had morphed into play areas where people could move their bodies. This is one of the unique entertainment features that home console systems, not handheld devices, were able to realize.

With this as an example, even such a distinction that "home console machines provide rich experiences but handheld devices cannot" will change as time goes by, and I believe that there will always be unique experiences that only home consoles can realize. Nintendo has to make efforts to offer the public something only our home console systems can achieve. There are also a number of restrictions with home consoles such as you have to be in front of a TV set, all the players must get together in one place and you cannot play if someone else is watching a TV program. I feel that an increasing number of people, who are playing with a variety of games, are saying, "I used to be able to start home console games rather casually, just whenever I felt like playing with them, but nowadays, because I am used to the easy-to-start handheld game devices, I have to have a rather strong determination to start playing with home console games." I understand that the situation surrounding home consoles is changing. Home consoles have to provide something unique to users that is only possible on home consoles in addition to the "rich experiences." For example, we must focus on what kinds of unique entertainment can be created when a home console can reproduce its images on a large monitor screen which can be viewed by several people at the same time. I think that in the mid and long term, the mission of home console machines will change in this fashion.

Pimpbaa said:
If OnLive can manage to make streaming games playable over the fucking internet, then one would think a device with a dedicated connection just for streaming would be much better.
don't be silly, nintendo has lost their minds and have no idea what they're doing.

Big One

Banned
Father_Brain said:
By the way, this 01Net article is several days old and was posted in the last thread - why are we poring over it as though it's new?
The French site was the first one to reveal the name "Cafe." Now that we know the name is legit, we're reviewing their info.

ThoseDeafMutes said:
It allows for splitscreen gaming without screen cheating, it allows for alternate screens for whatever reason (inventory at a glance in an RPG, a map of the gameworld, whatever), and it also allows you to play in bed or when someone else is using the television already.

It would also be fantastic for coop "Spec Ops" style gameplay, one player is using a Wiimote style pointer controls with the TV playing a regular FPS, and player 2 is controlling a UAV via the stream controller, providing support for player 1.
OK, THAT is way too creative to ever actually happen.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Big One said:
Since when was the NGP able to RemotePlay perfectly?

The NGP would be running self-contained games as good (to the average person) as a PS3.

It's a dedicated handheld and isn't going to run into the issues of lag that this will, unless Nintendo has magically got round the issues of streaming. And even then you are crippling the power of your console by making it render so much extra stuff.

It all seems bonkers at the moment, unless we are missing some big idea.

KarmaCow

Father_Brain said:
By the way, this 01Net article is several days old and was posted in the last thread - why are we poring over it as though it's new?

The Cafe codename was confirmed via the Warioworld site and they mentioned it first. I guess it was kinda forgotten in the deluge of 'leaks'.

watershed

Banned
Freezie KO said:
You know what would be neat? If I still went to college and had 11 friends (let alone 2) who would come over and play Mario Kart all night.

Sorry but this made me laugh uncontrollably for a few moments.

The idea of this controller mimicking ds like gameplay is neat and might be a way to grab casuals but no multi-touch sounds like a let down considering the potential multi-touch has for small download games and such. Also as interesting as a 6" screen on a controller may be it still sounds way too big to hold comfortably or to use as a traditional controller. It sounds a bit like gaming with a keyboard on my lap which I don't see the point in.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
SlipperySlope said:
As far as the frame buffer goes, rendering a HD game plus four 800x500 screens would be similar to rendering two 1080p screens. Interesting, but not impossible.
Then I guess developers who don't want to use the touch screen will eschew it in favor of the little extra performance they can squeeze out on the main screen without it. Kinda like the 3D on the 3DS.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
EmCeeGramr said:
look the important thing is now we can have an hd console trauma center with touchscreen controls

that's pretty much proof of a benevolent god so i think we should all be happy
I thought the controller wouldn't employ styli, a lot of GAFfers lead me to believe that Trauma's gameplay would be impossible without one. In other words, stick to the Wii's controls. Pointer controls are still in right?

Mojojo

Door2Dawn said:
Seriously, what the hell is the point of this thing?

By default the screen will have an animated mouth or face, and will talk to you(with a peewee herman's like voice) when you play on tv to give you advices or comment on your skill :
33w7i2o.jpg

"you really suck at Call of Duty, hee hee"
"you are not Harrrdcore enough! try again"

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Father_Brain said:
It got lost in the giant megathread and not covered well.

Instro

Father_Brain said:

Because half the people in here werent posting in the previous thread most likely.

Christine

enzo_gt said:
Yeah okay you've summed up my issues with the controller better than I could have, and reminded me of others.

The face buttons being so different from other platforms really puts devs in an odd position, and even otherwise, devs have to somehow build their game around the physical layout of the face buttons much more adversely thank a simple to understand diamond layout. Not saying the diamond is perfect, but the irregular layout of the GC face buttons surely provides an additional challenge when trying to ensure accessibility and ease of use of all of the buttons. It simply doesn't fit a human thumb very well.

The assumption you're making is the same that software designed for the diamond layout makes - that all the face buttons are intended to be simultaneously accessible. The GC controller has a different intent - it provides a layout of four buttons that supports two primary thumb positions - B-A-Y and A-Y-X.

Each of these is more tightly grouped and a better fit for the human thumb than any combination of three buttons on a diamond pad.

The trade-off is that the specificity of these layouts restricts and challenges the software design - B and X should never require a simultaneous press, whereas on the diamond pad the worst-case scenario is that the "far" button will be the diagonal button rather than an adjacent one.

The diamond layout is more universal and versatile, but I don't think it can be legitimately described as "more ergonomic" than the GC's "T" layout. I'd call it a wash in an absolute "hardware" sense, with the balance tipped well toward the diamond side by the preponderance of software.

donny2112

Okay, so the "new controller" seems like a supplemental controller, then.

* It'll be too expensive to be the main controller.
* It's designed for the streaming/take away from TV playing.
* Touch screen mimics Wiimote pointer.

I think the main controls when playing on TV will be Wiimote Plus + CCPro type controller. The "new controller" then would be able to reproduce those inputs (gyros in the "new controller" to mimic motion control parts?) on the go. This would work, and I like it! :D

That would mean that Wiimote+ is probably compatible with new games on the console, so don't need to buy all new controllers, too. :)

Door2Dawn

Banned
EatChildren said:
I woulder if Nintendo would allow streaming to the 3DS, and if that would tie into the whole 'Cafe' thing. EG: Cafes, stores, and other public places could theoretically set up a system and have it run software, and people with nearby 3DS systems could tap in and play whatever game they have on offer.

AKA: Go to a Cafe, whip out your 3DS, and hook into the Cafe's Cafe.
So you can play the cafe while you play the cafe?

I really want to see the final package. The streaming controller sounds like a fantastic leap forward for local multiplayer and for a whole slew of other gameplay configurations but as far as I'm concerned, this console would be a missed opportunity without a good online system and the preservation of Wii-style motion controls (I guess that's going to be accomplished by carrying over the Wii controllers?).

I wonder what the other big surprise is. The investor meeting and E3 can't come soon enough.

Jinfash said:
I thought the controller wouldn't employ styli, a lot of GAFfers lead me to believe that Trauma's gameplay would be impossible without one. In other words, stick to the Wii's controls. Pointer controls are still in right?
fuck you're right

well my fingers will do

or i'll force it to use a stylus

pcostabel

Gold Member
Translation of the 01net article:

Project Café: some clarifications on the controller and the streaming

The info published yesterday by IGN on Project Cafe' technical specs confirm on every point what we published in our April 15th article. Moreover, our sources confirm that the "contablet" (controller tablet) that we have revealed here was described by Nintendo as a version 2 (V2) .

An UDraw look

To give us an idea of what it looks like, our sources have suggested to imagine a close cousin of the UDraw graphic tablet designed by THQ for the Wii, obviously with a touch screen replacing the touch pad and controls distributed around the screen (face buttons, d-pad, 2 bumpers, sticks etc.)

No HD screen

The 6" landscape screen (approx 16/9) is at present single touch, and 5**x8** resolution, so far lower than 720p. The tablet (v2) seems the most realistic development track. Remember that from now to June 2021 - tentative release date announced to the developers - Nintendo will have time to change the look and specs of the controller and the console.

Streaming story

IGN has also addressed the console design, comparing it to a futuristic SNES. Our sources are unable to comment on the subject, since the developers have prototypes without the final encasing. According to the english site, Nintendo will name the console "Stream".

Again our sources could not confirm, but that sound a plausible and tongue-in-cheek choice (based on the urinary connotations of the Wii brand that spur jokes on english websites). Streaming is actually a central part of this "Project Cafe'". The console will be able to broadcast streams of several types (media, games) to the controllers. It will be possible to play without even turning on the TV, or start a game on the big screen and continue it on the toilet. A true revolution!

Thin client?

The console and the controllers could function as a "virtualized" platform, with the bulk of the computation performed by the console itself an the controllers acting as terminals displaying precomputed code. This system could allow the transmission of high quality games with no latency and without using a bandwdith intensive compressed stream.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Father_Brain said:
A much better question: What the hell is the Cafe controller doing - in terms of substantive additions to gameplay, not the minor convenience afforded by being able to carry the controller a limited distance away from the TV - that couldn't be done by using 3DS as a controller?

Help bump up the price of the console?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Pimpbaa said:

And they don't run great at all, just some people will put up with it for the convenience. And you are destroying the power advantage of your move to HD by having to multi-render everything.

This is all very un-Nintendo.

Big One said:
Because aside from RemotePlay, you just can't do that. Imagine being able to play CoD with all of the online functionality of sitting in front of a TV, in the palm of your hand, just sitting on the toilet or even going outside. That's some pretty fantastic and appealing shit.

I would rather play CoD with all of the online functionality, HD, and also a pointer. Why the hell do I care if I can play it on the bowl when the TV is meters away?

And if I'm going outside, what am I doing playing a console game? It's not like I can go too far away from the console. I'd understand if it was a full portable, but it's not. Maybe if I still lived with my parents or fictional siblings and I had to share the TV...

EmCeeGramr said:
fuck you're right

well my fingers will do

or i'll force it to use a stylus

if it's just a simple single touch resistive touch screen couldn't you just get any old stylus and use it.

also that mouth on the screen in the photoshop above gave me total warioware vibe which i totally want to see ASAP on this thing. (even if it will probably mostly be similiar to warioware touched)

Big One

Banned
DECK'ARD said:
The NGP would be running self-contained games as good (to the average person) as a PS3.

It's a dedicated handheld and isn't going to run into the issues of lag that this will, unless Nintendo has magically got round the issues of streaming. And even then you are crippling the power of your console by making it render so much extra stuff.

There's plenty of phones coming out on the market that have lag-free streaming. It isn't really out there and doesn't require "magic" as you say. Matter of fact there's a video someone posted in another thread demoing some technology of a movie being streamed to a phone from a TV. Case in point if there's sever lag problems, why even release it? I think Nintendo would be smarter than that and have their products actually work.

Instro

donny2112 said:

I think the main controls when playing on TV will be Wiimote Plus + CCPro type controller. The "new controller" then would be able to reproduce those inputs (gyros in the "new controller" to mimic motion control parts?) on the go. This would work, and I like it! :D

That would mean that Wiimote+ is probably compatible with new games on the console, so don't need to buy all new controllers, too. :)

If there is two controllers, its more likely that the Wiimote would be the supplemental controller not the other way around.

Darko said:
the controllers look.... expensive

And pointless in many situations IMO. OK, streaming the game to your controller is pretty cool, but anything that causes me to look AWAY from my TV and have to look towards the controller is totally ridiculous, more so when you start to apply stuff like that in a multiplayer setting where getting a kill or dying are often split second decisions.

Ashodin

interesting gahiggidy post back in the rev controller thread (from the OT1 someone posted the thread link):

gahiggidy said:
The hardware better be impressive considering its going to have to last untill 2011. HL2 graphics would look rudimentary by twenty-ten.

Prophetic.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
donny2112 said:

Whoa whoa whoa, that's a whole lotta conclusions based on a whole lotta assumptions.

Why not something a bit easier? Why not a $200 Console and a $100 controller? If the hardware is really a notch better than PS3, prices are down enough to go there.

Honestly I don't care about consoles that much anymore.

PC gaming is phenomenal and handheld gaming is a very nice complement to that.

I don't see much of a point to consoles anymore.

Pimpbaa

DECK'ARD said:

Yeah, the DS and 3DS sure are crippled having to render all that extra stuff on the 2nd screen.

Yeah, and it ain't Nintendo. It's the people who seem to be forgetting what Nintendo has done already with game systems with 2 screens.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Flying_Phoenix said:
Honestly I don't care about consoles that much anymore.

PC gaming is phenomenal and handheld gaming is a very nice complement to that.

I don't see much of a point to consoles anymore.
at a minimum console gaming is good for local multi, which as pointed out in several posts above this setup could be great for. pcs and portables are terrible for local multi unless all your friends are nerds, and even then they're pretty wack

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The controllers sound a little pricey... and rather impractical in some circumstances. It sounds like they're talking about handhelds rather than a console. Odd, since they released 3DS this year. Plus, it almost sounds that you're not going to be looking at the TV in some instances...

Off-topic, but "Project Cafe" makes me want to go to Tim Hortons right now.

Y'know, I think I'm going. I want an Iced Capp... at 1:30 AM. Whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom