• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
hai guyz haz n-e-1 translated that frenchs articel yet?

Nirolak said:
It got lost in the giant megathread and not covered well.

And I know you're the mod here, but that's precisely why we were supposed to be moving away from the megathreads.

Darko

pcostabel said:
No HD screen

The 6" landscape screen (approx 16/9) is at present single touch, and 5**x8** resolution, so far lower than 720p. The tablet (v2) seems the most realistic development track. Remember that from now to June 2021 - tentative release date announced to the developers - Nintendo will have time to change the look and specs of the controller and the console.
i would hope so.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Big One said:
There's plenty of phones coming out on the market that have lag-free streaming. It isn't really out there and doesn't require "magic" as you say. Matter of fact there's a video someone posted in another thread demoing some technology of a movie being streamed to a phone from a TV. Case in point if there's sever lag problems, why even release it? I think Nintendo would be smarter than that and have their products actually work.

Because they aren't interactive!

Nintendo are so fussy about controls, 60fps Mario games. This would be utterly bizarre, in no magical world is it going to play as well as a non-streamed game. And the more players you add the bigger headache it becomes.

If all this turns out to be true, I will be utterly mystified. It's Nintendo going a complete 180 on leveraging the different strengths of handheld gaming and console gaming. It's mashing up both to create something that won't play to either of the strengths of the other, unless they have some alien-technology.

Or we are still missing the real point of all this. Either way, colour me concerned.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
PantherLotus said:

And I know you're the mod here, but that's precisely why we were supposed to be moving away from the megathreads.
And thats precisely why we have this new thread.

Ashodin

PantherLotus said:

check the OP homie. It's moving quite fast in the updatez.

DECK'ARD said:
And they don't run great at all, just some people will put up with it for the convenience. And you are destroying the power advantage of your move to HD by having to multi-render everything.

This is all very un-Nintendo.
On the contrary, this is very, very Nintendo.

Making people freak out seems to be a symptom of new Nintendo console features.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
PantherLotus said:

Yes, hence the new thread.

The only reason we had one major thread was because we had like eight rumors that said the same thing.

When IGN's rumor came out and had significant new info, that became its own thread as well.

Instro

DECK'ARD said:
And they don't run great at all, just some people will put up with it for the convenience. And you are destroying the power advantage of your move to HD by having to multi-render everything.

This is all very un-Nintendo.

Its pretty unlikely that every game would take advantage of such a feature if it exists. The only time they would need to multirender was if you were playing local multiplayer. I imagine most devs will use the screen for more practical things that dont take up any power at all.

Christine

Dark Schala said:
Off-topic, but "Project Cafe" makes me want to go to Tim Hortons right now.

Y'know, I think I'm going. I want an Iced Capp... at 1:30 AM. Whatever.

Goddamn it. I wish I could go to Tim's - Starbucks' drip coffee is nasty and the good local coffee place is closed right now.

I'll just have to console myself with some bombay sapphire.

LovingSteam said:
Yea... and? I don't see how Nintendo would enable the Stream controllers to be used as handhelds on the go. It'd cannibalize their 3DS sales.
But it's not handhelds on the go. It's streamed content with your controller as the monitor.

Unless you're telling me Nintendo discovered some kind of bloody magic that allows them to play a game 3000 miles from any given console.

watershed

Banned
Net_Wrecker said:
And pointless in many situations IMO. OK, streaming the game to your controller is pretty cool, but anything that causes me to look AWAY from my TV and have to look towards the controller is totally ridiculous, more so when you start to apply stuff like that in a multiplayer setting where getting a kill or dying are often split second decisions.

Lol this would be hilarious! I can imagine the arguments now "No fair you shot me as I was looking down at my touch screen!"

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
DECK'ARD said:
Because they aren't interactive!

Nintendo are so fussy about controls, 60fps Mario games. This would be utterly bizarre, in no magical world is it going to play as well as a non-streamed game. And the more players you add the bigger headache it becomes.

If all this turns out to be true, I will be utterly mystified. It's Nintendo going a complete 180 on leveraging the different strengths of handheld gaming and console gaming. It's mashing up both to create something that won't play to either of the strengths of the other, unless they have some alien-technology.

Or we are still missing the real point of all this. Either way, colour me concerned.

I think your concern is slightly misplaced.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
If this console is going to have such great streaming capabilities, would it be possible for it to have OnLive-type capabilities as well?

Neiteio

I wonder what kind of SPEAKERS the controller will have?

You know... So you can HEAR the sounds that go with the display.

Just capitalizing because nobody has brought up the SPEAKERS.

You need SPEAKERS for SOUND.

Will there be SPEAKERS on the controller?

SPEAKERS.

M74

LovingSteam said:
So... 3DS DOA?
Will you people stop posting thoughtless stuff like this? A relatively large, non-portable controller that is (presumably) a thin/dummy client and unable to do anything at a significant distance apart from the console it's tethered to is not going to harm the handheld market.

Pocks

Neiteio said:

SPEAKERS.

I hope they're as good as the Wiimote speaker.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
It's just as likely that the streaming w/no-tv options will be limited to exactly one controller, or that multi-controller options will be limited to smaller stuff, like map detail, play selection, spell queuing, etc.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Neiteio said:

SPEAKERS.
Truly an important concern to make sure we are fully IMMERSED in the wide variety of DYNAMIC worlds the Stream is capable of putting us into. I can't wait to get ENGAGED in the REVOLUTIONARY opportunities this new, NEXT GEN system provides.

Neiteio said:

SPEAKERS.
The tablet will wirelessly sync with your ears.

That or buy a new pair of high quality cans.

So the controller may not be a handheld console in itself, but what about some remote streaming options?

maybe they took the Remote Play idea and found a way to implement it without super hitler lag you get even when a PSP and PS3 are right next to each other?

then again, nintendo consoles seem to fall short of the hype/rumors that pop up before their announcements (not nintendo's fault but overzealous fans and trolls.)

carlo6529

Neiteio said:

SPEAKERS.

The controller emits sounds waves straight to your brain, nullifying the need for speakers.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
PantherLotus said:
I think your concern is slightly misplaced.

Well the proof will be in the pudding, and we will have to wait and see.

But this would be a very surprising area for Nintendo to dive into and pull off perfectly, as there still isn't even a standard for wireless streaming and they are so incredibly fussy about controls. All the ones we know about have their downsides as well.

Oh well, roll on the Investors Meeting but I do hope their is a bigger idea than basically giving every player their own tiny screen.

Neiteio said:

SPEAKERS.

The controller IS the speaker!

i hope that in donkey kong country cafe, the roll, breath, and ground pound are all mapped to the touchscreen. and i don't mean to different virtual buttons either, you just tap the touchscreen wherever and it'll figure out what you mean.

Neiteio said:

SPEAKERS.

is this a joke about the "last wii feature" that wasn't announced at the conference?

i seem to remember them being like "THERE'S ONE LAST FEATURE WE HAVEN'T ANNOUNCED YET!!!" Then the next day it was like "oh yeah, there's a speaker on the wii controller or something."

Neiteio

Seriously guys, if I can't hear YOU GOT BOOST POWER while playing F-Zero Next on the can, what's the point? I'll still have boost power but am I really boosting if I can't hear the FA-WOOOOOOSH and subsequent explosion as I crash into a wall? Am I?

I really am curious about how the sound will work on the controller.

M74

carlo6529 said:
The controller emits sounds waves straight to your brain, nullifying the need for speakers.
No. It vibrates, thus sending the sound vibrations rocketing through your bones. IMMERSION!

rpmurphy said:
I wonder though if the console would have enough guts to handle all that. Having to output to the HDTV + 4 or more controller screens sounds like a lot.

Just like when Nintendo doubled the rendering power of the 3DS to enable 3D, Nintendo most likely significantly boosted the GPU and RAM of the system so it can render numerous screens and still meet its performance target on the TV screen.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
EmCeeGramr said:
i hope that in donkey kong country cafe, the roll, breath, and ground pound are all mapped to the touchscreen. and i don't mean to different virtual buttons either, you just tap the touchscreen wherever and it'll figure out what you mean.
Yup. Another cool thing would be implementing those virtual d-pads that are all the rage on iOS.

Ookami-kun said:
What's so special on the coming two days?

Just posting to tag.
Monday is tomorrow. I hate mondays.

garfield_bored_01.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom