• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinci

Danish
SloppehSlawlz said:
Sounds like gimmicky bullshit, so it's probably true.

If this thing has haptics, the last thing you're going to think is that's it's gimmicky. Haptics are awesome.

Majine

Banned
Door2Dawn said:
So now we've gone from streaming to feeling? This sounds awful.
Ask yourself: In what way does streaming have the same appeal as tactile feedback to the wider audience?

Personally, this sounds very nintendo-ish. "You gotta try it yourself"-strategy.

At the same time, Nintendo Feel is an experience that doesn't want to explain itself in words, but rather tell the player through his hands. Which is probably why Nintendo will bring playable demos to E3, even tho the finished console won't be available until 2012.
This kinda makes sense, but even if this information turns out to be fake, it was worth to make me realize that, if Nintendo is bringing Cafe to E3 in playable form, then it means the controller really is something else.

-MB- said:
The logo doesnt even with with the nintendo one. At least the wii fonts is aesthetically similar.
Just an illustration.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Vinci said:
If this thing has haptics, the last thing you're going to think is that's it's gimmicky. Haptics are awesome.

i think he was trying to say it was possibly made by nintendo, and therefore gimmicky.

Raynes

None of this even feels (srs no pun intended) legit... A screen on a controller? wtf is up with that, why would you even want that?
Man, I hope this all turns around at E3, because I'm not actually excited about this, just worried that this is going to be a gimmick that will be short lived.

Hiro

Banned
Majine said:
Exclusive leakage on Loading.se

07aa5994b9bbfd8785ab8de7589b843b_n.jpg

[Partly in English. I'll translate the rest.]

Exclusively for Loading.se, A source close to Nintendo has all the information regarding the company's next home console.

June 7th is the date that everyone has been waiting for. Nintendo unveils their next home console at E3 in Los Angeles. But Loading can already now reveal some of the hottest (and most trustworthy) rumors about the machine. This is all we got to know about Nintendo Feel.

Our source, who has a close connection to the company, speaks about the console in a conversation with us. We choose to deliver the information unedited and untranslated [from Eng to Swe]:

– Nintendo wants to change the way we play – again. The success of Wii was essentially proof that the controller is every bit as important as graphical technology. When Nintendo unveils its next piece of hardware on June 7th, the presentation will be as much about the feel, as the look, of its new games. The revolutionary aspect will once again be found in the controller itself.

After Touch comes Feel
We already know Nintendo is developing a controller with a built-in screen. Since that info got leaked there have been paralels between Apple's iPad and how Nintendo used the GBA as a controller for a few Gamecube-games. But this new "Screen-controller" brings another dimension - Feel. Our source uses the name "Nintendo Feel"

– Haptic technology is a form of tactile feedback used to simulate the experience of touching different objects shown on screen. The player can move their fingertips across a surface and clearly feel the difference between soft, smooth or rugged textures. Electronic companies across the world have been conducting research in this field for years. It’s been rumored that Apple is close to patenting a similar technology, and we’ve seen the Toshiba demonstration of ‘New Sensation UI Solution’, that applies a thin film over a screen in order to achieve a haptic effect. In Nintendo’s case, this is a natural progression of both the Nintendo DS touch screen and the Wii technology.

Hardcore meats Casual
After having recieved the information on Nintendo Feel from our source we have gotten confirmation that the technology exists. Toshiba seems to have shown it to the public and we have had a Novint Falcon in the office for a long time. Novint was one of the first companies to introduce haptic feedback to the gaming world.

According to our source the work for the new console has been going on for a few years, and throughout this whole time the goal has been to create an as direct and easy-to-understand concept as the Wii.

– You have to try Nintendo Feel to really understand. But the idea itself is very easy to sell, no matter if you are aiming for hardcore players or the wider audience that was first introduced to games through DS, Wii or Kinect.

And sure, anyone can suddenly realize the feeling of fur agains the fingertips would do for Nintendogs. You don't have to be unfamiliar to The Legend of Zelda to understand the epicness in drawing patterns in a desert, feeling the breeze from a lake, the burning sensation from lava or realizing the structure of a very old tree.

At the same time, Nintendo Feel is an experience that doesn't want to explain itself in words, but rather tell the player through his hands. Which is probably why Nintendo will bring playable demos to E3, even tho the finished console won't be available until 2012.

All visions in one

Nintendo Feel is on many levels a summary of all the grand visions Nintendo has had during the latest gaming generation. Starting with the Rumble Pack for the Nintendo 64, Nintendo gave the player physical feedback through the controller, and 2006 they started the concept "Touch Generations" to marked the Wii and DS to a whole new audience. If we get to see a "Feel Generations" marketing remains to be seen, but one thing is sure: The new console is an extension of the idea of more intuitive controllmethods.

Also the individual screens revived the "Connectivity" concept launched during the Gamecube/GBA era. A concept that never got the impact Nintendo was hoping for. Our source says:

– Remember Vitality Sensor? It will most likely make a comeback at this year’s E3, though not as a peripheral for Wii, but as a key feature of Nintendo Feel.

And yet another puzzlepiece.

If this be true, then fuck Project Cafe. I will happily walk away from this. The name, Nintendo Feel, is the least of the problems I have with this.

Busty

Banned
What is the general school of thought among the people in the thread regarding the Cafe and the as yet unannounced multi platform games from Bungie, Respawn and Insomniac?

Have the studios received their dev kits recently or have they had the Cafe in their plans all along? Could E3 bring a reveal of the new Bungie game and an announcement that the title is a (non exclusive) launch title for the system?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
The concept for Nintendo Feel sounds much more Nintendo-like then what 1UP and IGN have been reporting with Stream.

Just sayin'.

Edit: Oh wait? Loading.se is saying this thing supposedly has haptic feedback, Biometric feedback, and individual screens on each controller?!?!?!?

Uh huh.

Nickovic

Skiesofwonder said:
how credible is loading.se? I've heard of them before.... but not sure if I should believe that or not.

Usually you can ask one question. "Did Nintendo say so?" If no, then don't believe it.

Suzzopher

Skiesofwonder said:
The concept for Nintendo Feel sounds much more Nintendo-like then what 1UP and IGN have been reporting with Stream.

Just sayin'.

Yeah sounds very Nintendo and still with the core games being given a controller that suits.

Teknoman

Raynes said:
None of this even feels (srs no pun intended) legit... A screen on a controller? wtf is up with that, why would you even want that?
Man, I hope this all turns around at E3, because I'm not actually excited about this, just worried that this is going to be a gimmick that will be short lived.

220px-Sega-Dreamcast-Cont-n-VMU.jpg

Vinci

Danish
Skiesofwonder said:

Just sayin'.

The concept sounds fine. Haptics are objectively great. What doesn't sound real, especially for the system name, is Nintendo Feel. As I said, I could see it as something equivalent to 'Touch Generation,' but there is no way in hell they'll name the console that.

Majine

Banned
Vinci said:
The concept sounds fine. Haptics are objectively great. What doesn't sound real, especially for the system name, is Nintendo Feel. As I said, I could see it as something equivalent to 'Touch Generation,' but there is no way in hell they'll name the console that.
This could very well just be a name that developers are calling it for all we know. Nowhere in the article do they say "This IS the name".

Hiro

Banned
From The Dust said:
but Feel sucks. I seriously think Wii is a better name

Wii sucks infinately bad too. There is no way to measure the amount of suck for either Wii or Feel because they both suck infinately bad.

Teknoman

Hiro said:
If this be true, then fuck Project Cafe. I will happily walk away from this. The name, Nintendo Feel, is the least of the problems I have with this.

If true, the name is the only thing that sounds stupid. New consoles cant just be an upgrade in graphics from the previous ones anymore, especially with the focus on motion control and online today.

Busty

Banned
All these Nintendo Feel rumours just sound like a rehash of all the Project Revolution bollocks before that was officially announced.

The controller can heat up and cool down during play. The controller has force feedback that actually fights against your actions.

Pffft.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Majine said:
This could very well just be a name that developers are calling it for all we know. Nowhere in the article do they say "This IS the name".

Indeed. The article even says that their source was calling it "Nintendo Feel".

But how could a controller possibly have cameras, haptic feedback, biometric feedback, individual screens, and motion technology without costing over $100?

Log4Girlz

Raynes said:

So, what exactly do you have in mind for Nintendo to release? Go into as much detail as you like, I would honestly like to know your opinion.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I don't have an issue with the name, I mean.. it's a name. FEEL would be easily linked to one of its selling points (the haptic), it's simple, it's very 'Nintendo' as of the last 6 years. People hated Wii, but they accepted it after a while. This will be the same if true.

I'd be more worried about the haptic screen, and what it means for the sorts of titles we'll see this generation. If the entire controller was haptic, it'd be more interesting (and highly improbable). I mean.. with a screen, I'm going to be feeling the fabric of my clothes in Animal Crossing. But what else?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Log4Girlz said:
So, what exactly do you have in mind for Nintendo to release? Go into as much detail as you like, I would honestly like to know your opinion.

i read this and for some reason when i try to imagine the result all i see is this

TheHomer.jpg

MooMoo

EvilMario said:
I don't have an issue with the name, I mean.. it's a name. FEEL would be easily linked to one of its selling points (the haptic), it's simple, it's very 'Nintendo' as of the last 6 years. People hated Wii, but they accepted it after a while. This will be the same if true.

I'd be more worried about the haptic screen, and what it means for the sorts of titles we'll see this generation. If the entire controller was haptic, it'd be more interesting (and highly improbable). I mean.. with a screen, I'm going to be feeling the fabric of my clothes in Animal Crossing. But what else?
Oh...do you really want to know? ;D

Majine

Banned
Skiesofwonder said:
But how could a controller possibly have cameras, haptic feedback, biometric feedback, individual screens, and motion technology without costing over $100?

Aren't Wiimote + Wiimotion Plus + Nunchuck already 100? :p

beje

Banned
EvilMario said:

You know... you really don't have to use all the features available when designing a game. Then again, I find this haptic feedback stuff completely bullshit. 150€ controllers?

Busty

Banned
EvilMario said:
I mean.. with a screen, I'm going to be feeling the fabric of my clothes in Animal Crossing. But what else?

I have a feeling that people are seriously overexaggerating the effectiveness of this technology.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
From The Dust said:
I remember a video of a touchscreen that was capable of feelin like textured surfaces. Prolly expensive even now though

That's what I was basing my very basic opinion on. Anything less, what would it matter?

Majine

Banned
Now that it's sinking in, I can see why it would be correct. This falls totally in line with the Wii and 3DS. Experiences you can't emulate anywhere else on the market (at the time of release in Wii's case). It sounds very Nintendo-like. At this point, I'd be more surprised if this wasn't it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom