• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.
EvilMario said:
That's what I was basing my very basic opinion on. Anything less, what would it matter?

then there would be an issue of costs. these screens are obviously more expensive than regular, single touch screens. with a screen, I can see this thing pushing $60-$80 already.

Busty

Banned
Majine said:
Now that it's sinking in, I can see why it would be correct. This falls totally in line with the Wii and 3DS. Experiences you can't emulate anywhere else on the market (at the time of release in Wii's case). It sounds very Nintendo-like. At this point, I'd be more surprised if this wasn't it.

The more I hear about Cafe the more I think of the Virtual Boy.

Mind you, I said the same thing about Kinect so what the fuck do I know?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Billychu said:
Analog sticks are a gimmick! Rumble is a gimmick! Online play is a gimmick!

Rumble is sort of a gimmick. :/

Motion controls can be a gimmick, it comes down to the developer and how they're using it. ie; Silent Hill:SM, navigating with flash light is amazing.. but using shaking (waggle) in Donkey Kong Country Returns to perform various acts is a gimmick and nothing else.

Likewise, this technology might be really useful and creative in some aspects.. but I'm sure there will be plenty of developers just trying to tact it onto their games for the sake of having it.

TunaLover

But what has to do Café name with "Feel"? we know that Project Café is real since it was presented on WarioWare page, the name Feel doesn't have any connection with that.

I'm calling BS.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I'm okay with anything as long as it isn't too expensive and it brings back local co-op in a big way like we were speculating Cafe would do.

You know, there'd be a huge market for DoA:XBV on this potential thing. Rumble Roses too.

Vinci

Danish
Busty said:

I can actually understand how people might compare Cafe to the Dreamcast, but... Virtual Boy??

EvilMario said:
It would be interesting technology, but I can't see how it would aid gameplay in too many traditional titles.

Well.... neither can I, but adding feedback to the screen makes it easier to navigate the surface blind while you're concentrating on the TV.

Busty said:

3DS was the Virtual boy mk 2, this is the Gamecube connectivity mk. 2.

Busty

Banned
Vinci said:
I can actually understand how people might compare Cafe to the Dreamcast, but... Virtual Boy??

Virtual Boy. The ultimate 'gimmick for the sake of a gimmick' piece of commercial electronics.

EvilMario said:
These breast feel like bags of sand.

Shitty third party port confirmed!

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Graphics Horse said:
Well.... neither can I, but adding feedback to the screen makes it easier to navigate the surface blind while you're concentrating on the TV.
That's...fucking brilliant, actually.

I don't know, not sure this is it, and I have a lot of queries about the concept, but feel could potentially be quite special.

Graphics Horse said:
God, I hope so.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Graphics Horse said:

The demise of the 3DS has been greatly over exaggerated. If at this point next year, when actual quality software is out, and they're still bombing sales wise.. then it will be a safer bet. The DS struggled mightily out of the gates as well, while the PSP was strong. How did that turn out?

DungeonO

This goes in line with the whole "capability of a GCN controller without the form factor"

The could emulate any controller with a screen that lets you feel the buttons.

Graphics Horse said:

it's still not going to replace hard sticks and buttons though.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Graphics Horse said:
Urgh, these ground textures don't feel very realistic.

Graphics Horse

graphics horse
graphics horse
does whatever a
graphics horse does
(Today, 11:39 PM)

From The Dust said:
it's still not going to replace hard sticks and buttons though.
Well of course not, because they're still there.

EvilMario said:
The demise of the 3DS has been greatly over exaggerated. If at this point next year, when actual quality software is out, and they're still bombing sales wise.. then it will be a safer bet. The DS struggled mightily out of the gates as well, while the PSP was strong. How did that turn out?

I wasn't trying to imply it was doomed! Just that they're trying the whole 3D system again. I think the 3DS will do decently, just not match crazy DS levels, but that's always how it looked to me.
Is it too late for this not to become a discussion about the 3DS being doomed?

Billychu said:
Analog sticks are a gimmick! Rumble is a gimmick! Online play is a gimmick!
That's what I'm saying lol. Everything different is always a damn pointless gimmick because it doesn't suit the perfect needs of traditional software. That's why its called traditional for a reason...but at one point it wasn't traditional, it was new. At that point, it was a fucking gimmick.

Some people are stuck so far in the past it is sad, but thankfully, Nintendo isn't a group of those people.

Teknoman said:
I really cant see how people are saying the 3DS is dying already...
They are bored and don't have anything else to say, so something stupid sounds the most logical for them.

Big One

Banned
EvilMario said:
They're not even bombing right now wtf

Graphics Horse said:
Well of course not, because they're still there.

I always figured that the screen will be set up kinda like the NGP with it's trackpad. on the tv, there are symbols on the side that are also on the controller screen.

StevieP

Banned
abstract alien said:
That's what I'm saying lol. Everything different is always a damn pointless gimmick because it doesn't suit the perfect needs of traditional software. That's why its called traditional for a reason...but at one point it wasn't traditional, it was new. At that point, it was a fucking gimmick.

Some people are stuck so far in the past it is sad, but thankfully, Nintendo isn't a group of those people.

They are if they're regressing back to dual-analog.

Billychu said:
It will have traditional buttons.

If anything they'll use this to compliment traditional buttons. Which I wouldn't mind as long as it doesn't drive the price up too much. And I hope this isn't the "big feature," if it's even true.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Quadrangulum said:
Conceptually, it doesn't sound horrible but I can't imagine the technology being ready for cheap mass production by 2012.

$249.99 for the 3DS, Nintendo doesn't care about cheap now!

rpmurphy

Always-honest said:
oh god they MIGHT use this for buttons

:p okay, let''s hope not
The tech would be cool for touch screen interaction like swiping or sliding your finger across the screen, like for Fruit Ninja you could feel the fruit that you're slicing. For just touching though, it probably won't have much benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom