• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TunaLover

It could be the missing surprise, I guess.
Iwata stressing how they should partner with outsider company to develop online structure, and Café/Stream code name suggest a console focused in social gaming.

Quadrangulum said:
Conceptually, it doesn't sound horrible but I can't imagine the technology being ready for cheap mass production by 2012.

I don't know why the first commercial use of this kind of technology would be in a device which doesn't even use a touchscreen as its main input device. It would make much more sense for haptics to be seen in a phone or tablet, something where you are always using the screen and thus always receiving its benefits, before a screen on a game controller which you probably won't be touching all that often.

.la1n

Vinci said:
The concept sounds fine. Haptics are objectively great. What doesn't sound real, especially for the system name, is Nintendo Feel. As I said, I could see it as something equivalent to 'Touch Generation,' but there is no way in hell they'll name the console that.

There is no way in hell someone is going to name a console Wii...

just sayin'

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Loading.se doesn't just make stuff up out of thin air, I can tell you that much. It's the official site/forum of the largest gaming magazine in Sweden (LEVEL), not some kind of fan blog looking for hits. The logo is not from the source though, it's just been created to visualize the working title* the source used.

* As in, "not final name".

Effect

Could this tech actually be mass produced though to be sold at a low price while still making Nintendo a profit on the hardware?

Effect said:
Could this tech actually be mass produced though to be sold at a low price while still making Nintendo a profit on the hardware?

Maybe, but Nintendo could be operating under a different strategy for the Wii 2 than their other consoles like deciding to cut profit margins for greater reach. Controllers made nowadays have huge margins.

Raynes

Log4Girlz said:
So, what exactly do you have in mind for Nintendo to release? Go into as much detail as you like, I would honestly like to know your opinion.

They don't always have to release a new gimmick. Motion controls are just fine, what they could do now is work on that, possibly introduce a Kinect like camera with a Move controller and integrate head tracking this time. This, coupled with "real" next-gen graphics above the level of PS3 would mean we have high definition 3D motion controls with a controller.

TunaLover said:
It could be the missing surprise, I guess.
Iwata stressing how they should partner with outsider company to develop online structure, and Café/Stream code name suggest a console focused in social gaming.
Maybe the big surprise is that they are partnering with Capcom and going for a new Monster Hunter title that has something like ad hoc party built-in.

Effect

I keep hoping they'll PS3 Home-ize their Mii setup. Cross it over with Animal Crossing. If not for online interaction but as a menu system. I think that would be pretty cool.

Woffls

I think Nintendo will accept low profit margins to begin with. If they're encouraging third parties they know that high market share out of the gate is crucial. I know they've never done it, but they might even accept a small loss if it's that important to them.

Is there a GAF IRC channel we can use over E3 for when the internal server errors start?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Lance Bone Path said:
Maybe the big surprise is that they are partnering with Capcom and going for a new Monster Hunter title that has something like ad hoc party built-in.

Monster Hunter on 3DS and Cafe, that can link together for trading items, weapons, etc. I want to believe.

Vinci

Danish
.la1n said:
There is no way in hell someone is going to name a console Wii...

just sayin'

When a console's rumored purpose is to get 3rd parties fully onboard? Yeah, 'Wii' would have been a bad idea. 'Feel' is a bad idea.

Taker666

I'm don't believe the haptic touchscreen stuff...

...primarily because it was also rumoured for the 3DS. ...and frankly it would have made far more sense to include it on the 3DS (why include the tech on a controller but not on their latest handheld?...doesn't make sense IMO).

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Effect said:
I keep hoping they'll PS3 Home-ize their Mii setup. Cross it over with Animal Crossing. If not for online interaction but as a menu system. I think that would be pretty cool.

I've never understood why people would want a 3D world as the menu system for a console. I think that'd be pretty horrible. A menu system should be fast and easy to use, allowing you to quickly get to whatever you want to get to. The XMB is (to me) the best example of that this generation. A 3D world would definitely not be.

Home is cool for what it is, but as the main menu system of the console it'd be a disaster.

Vinci said:
'Feel' is a bad idea.

"Feel" is also just a working title, just like how "Revolution" was Nintendo's working title for the Wii.

luffeN

This haptic stuff would fall in line with Iwata's comment at the investors meeting about ".. you have to play Wii2 to understand it.." or something like that.

Vinci

Danish
RoadHazard said:
"Feel" is also just a working title, just like how "Revolution" was Nintendo's working title for the Wii.

'Cafe' is a working title. 'Feel' is just random nonsense from a website.

Taker666

banKai said:
This haptic stuff would fall in line with Iwata's comment at the investors meeting about ".. you have to play Wii2 to understand it.." or something like that.

Nintendo say that about everything. They said it about the DS, the Wii and the 3DS.

Majine

Banned
Vinci said:
'Cafe' is a working title. 'Feel' is just random nonsense from a website.
I'd guess Café is Nintendo's internal name, Feel is something developers and others are using since it does describe it abit better than Café.

Majine said:
I'd guess Café is Nintendo's internal name, Feel is something developers and others are using since it does describe it abit better than Café.

I never heard of a company having two codenames. besides, the site said their source just calls it the Nintendo Feel. it doesn't imply that it's the final name or anything

Vinci

Danish
Majine said:

Um... We're getting this from a particular website. Is it even legit, or just another rumor? Is one developer really calling it this, or is the website saying that developers call it that? Is haptic really in the controller? We have no idea, which would invalidate the whole concept.

So yeah, until it appears on a Nintendo site, I'm going to say it's conjecture or bullshit akin to Nintendo On. Cafe is the only thing that's really been confirmed about the thing.

Krowley

Haptic could be the big surprise. It wouldn't be a huge game changer in terms of gameplay, but it would be a little bit like rumble; something cool that adds to the sensory experience while playing games.

Using feel for the name would be pretty stupid, but I personally don't like wii either. It could be Fiil I suppose... Sounds about as good as striim, maybe a little worse.

If any of this is true, I would bet that the real name will be something we haven't heard yet.

As for now, I'll take the rumor with a grain of giant salt. I know some posters are saying this is a legit site, and if they're an official site for a print magazine, that sounds pretty legit, but I'm personally not familiar with them.

luffeN

Taker666 said:
Nintendo say that about everything. They said it about the DS, the Wii and the 3DS.
Well, I give you that. But we didn't have a touchscreen dual screen handheld, a waggle console and a 3D without glasses handheld before, so it makes sense saying that.

StevieP

Banned
beelzebozo said:
good news: typically these things are not to be believed.

Multiple sources state that we're back to dual analog. With a screen. I'd say that's pretty much a lock... or as close as it can get to one at this point.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Majine said:
Cafe was the name on the image on Nintendos developer website.

Majine

Banned
poppabk said:
Cafe was the name on the image on Nintendos developer website.
As I said, that was my guess. The name seems very sketchy at this time, but the concept seems very much real.

Xrenity

Haha, the haptic feedback stuff was rumoured before we knew about Wii's remote too :D

I wanted to believe then. Now I know better.

ksamedi

How believable is this source anyway. I never heard of them. Nintendo Feel sounds good to me but I'm not sure if I should believe this stuff.

Emitan

Majine said:
As I said, that was my guess. The name seems very sketchy at this time, but the concept seems very much real.
Cafe is the codename. You can't dispute that. But we have no idea what the real name is.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
From The Dust said:
I never heard of a company having two codenames. besides, the site said their source just calls it the Nintendo Feel. it doesn't imply that it's the final name or anything

Feel could just be the code name for the controller. 'Dolphin' was the name for the Gamecube, while Flipper was the GPU.

Similar to Ultra 64 / Project Reality.

ksamedi

Igor Antunov said:
This is a legitimate source. It's basically one country's major gaming magazine.

Oh great. Haptics it is then. Love it. Now I want Nintendo to pack in an advanced Feelremote as well. If thats in there, the package is complete.

From The Dust said:
I never heard of a company having two codenames.
Nintendo's also always just had one internal name as far back as we know...

VR32 = Virtual Boy
Project Reality = Nintendo 64
Atlantis = Game Boy Advance
Dolphin = GameCube
Nitro = Nintendo DS
Revolution = Wii
Century = Nintendo 3DS
Cafe = ???

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
A controller with both Haptic Feeback and Biometric Feedback would be pretty amazing (and revolutionary).

Edit: What if the name was WiiFeel? Like Apple with ipod, itouch, iphone, ipad, etc.

EvilMario said:
Feel could just be the code name for the controller. 'Dolphin' was the name for the Gamecube, while Flipper was the GPU.

Similar to Ultra 64 / Project Reality.
No, Ultra 64 (and presumably Ultra Famicom in Japan) was going to be the system's final name before a Japanese copyright dispute kept them from using "Ultra".

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
lunchwithyuzo said:
No, Ultra 64 (and presumably Ultra Famicom in Japan) was going to be the system's final name before a Japanese copyright dispute kept them from using "Ultra".

Wasn't Ultra 64 used as the name for the arcade cabinets apparently using the 'Ultra 64' technology as well?

EvilMario said:
Wasn't Ultra 64 used as the name for the arcade cabinets apparently using the 'Ultra 64' technology as well?
No, it was going to be system's actual name and was advertised as such. Those cabs (Killer Instinct, Cruis'n USA) didn't actually use N64 tech, they used custom Midway boards.

protoboxes29.jpg
ultra_64_1222724455.jpg

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Igor Antunov said:
This is a legitimate source. It's basically one country's major gaming magazine.

Yes, but it's important to note that it's being published as a rumor (albeit one from a credible source), not a definite confirmation of anything.

ReyVGM said:
About these new rumors:

Now they are just making shit up.

As has already been stated (by me and others): Loading.se is the official site/forum of Sweden's largest gaming magazine (LEVEL), they don't "make shit up". It's a rumor, but it comes from a credible source.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom