• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be very disappointed if the controller doesn't have two bumpers and two triggers and instead does some oddball GameCubey route with one hinged, tiny bumper button or something silly. (I think the very original IGN/01net rumors did confirm bumpers and triggers, though, yes?)

From The Dust said:
where is the bolded from. it's only confirmed to be after April

I've kept a timeline of all the rumors that popped up on a different forum, but I'll just link you to the 01net story
http://www.01net.com/editorial/5317...availle-sur-la-prochaine-console-de-nintendo/

That's why I listed it under Reasonable Rumor.

Lupin the Wolf said:
I will be very disappointed if the controller doesn't have two bumpers and two triggers and instead does some oddball GameCubey route with one hinged, tiny bumper button or something silly. (I think the very original IGN/01net rumors did confirm bumpers and triggers, though, yes?)

It did, I was just being lazy trying to save space. I can fix it though.

DECK'ARD said:
If better support pointer controls though, even if we have to use a Wiimote.

I haven't waited this long for a new Pikmin only to be deprived of ordering them around in the best possible way.
i´ll take whatever controls they offer me. I can imagine this game could be great with a tablet.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
EatChildren said:
Of course there's a good reason not to announce it.

It's Microsoft E3 surprise.
Oh God.
I suspect they'll be responding to last year's criticism and spending a lot of time trying to prove Kinect as a device with appeal to their traditional base. So more Steel Batallion, Child of Eden and Project Draco, less Zumba.
Reading that back, it strikes me as funny how all the interesting Kinect projects are Japanese.

BlackNMild2k1 said:
Can I beat BMF at his own game?
I was actually switching to once every 100 posts, but you're welcome to take over if you like.
3AQmK.gif

BMF said:
I was actually switching to once every 100 posts, but you're welcome to take over if you like.
3AQmK.gif

No thanks, it was likely just a one time thing to switch up the "rumor recap" post.

Lupin the Wolf said:
I would like to see this timeline, please.

Rumor Consolidation 2011

I was taking all the Nintendo related rumors I ran across and posting them in that thread. I consolidated them back in April when all the Cafe rumors started and then kept updating it as new rumors get posted. Not everything made it to the list, just the things that didn't seem 110% fake the minute I posted it.

Lupin the Wolf said:

so the Classic never existed? I find it funny how people always reference the GCN controller and rarely the Classic :lol

demonturkey said:
I like how the website appears to be breathing at me.

The background almost has a bit of a "Stream" feel/look to it, don't you think?

About the GameCube thing, I just don't want Nintendo to "court the hardcore" and make some silly oversight like "reducing the quantity of proper buttons." I'm not all THAT worried about it, but it's a concern.

EDIT: Also, thanks, Black n Mild! Good thing I posted so the page refreshed.

ipukespiders said:
A new online strategy would remove all current titles online capabilities, but I could live with that.
No need for that. 3DS improves upon DS, but the old DS games work just as they do on original DS.
Fat Goron said:
What about this?

http://h-6.abload.de/img/t_cryengine3_gdc11_excz7no.gif

Not talking about Café itself, but about the next generation as a whole.....
Please next time you've got a GIF that big just link it.

Cygnus X-1

BlackNMild2k1 said:

Lets do a complete rumor recap

Credible Rumors:
-New console using a R700 AMD GPU
-Also using a TriCore PPC similar to the one in X360
-Minimum of 512MB RAM
-25GB Optical Disc & 8GB of onboard flash
-No built-in HDD included, SD card dependent
-Controller has a 6.2" Touch Screen on it
-Controller also has the standard set of controls & buttons (d-pad, dual analog, 4 face, 2 shoulder & 2 trigger)
-Controller also has a Camera & gyros/accelerometers
-Backwards Compatible with Wiimote
-More powerful than PS360 (significantly or just a tad bit is undefined)
-Production starts as early as October 2011

Reasonable Rumors:
Devs have had dev kits since sometime last year (just after E3 2010)
Rockstar has something to show (GTA V?) & so does Retro (DKCR2?)
Possible name for system is Stream
$350-$450 Price Point
Optical Disc is Bluray based
Launch date June 2012
No Friendcodes
IR sensors in the controller
Size of original X360 & resembles modern SNES

Wild Rumors:
Trackpad on back of controller
Haptics & Vitality sensor built into controller
Retro's game is Eternal Darkness 2

Things Confirmed:
Nintendo to work with an outside company to help build better online
Nintendo working closely with 3rd parties to bring games to Nintendo platforms.
System will support High Definition Graphics (1080p assumed)
System will not launch before April 2012

Thank you.

BlackNMild2k1 said:
No thanks, it was likely just a one time thing to switch up the "rumor recap" post.

Rumor Consolidation 2011

I was taking all the Nintendo related rumors I ran across and posting them in that thread. I consolidated them back in April when all the Cafe rumors started and then kept updating it as new rumors get posted. Not everything made it to the list, just the things that didn't seem 110% fake the minute I posted it.
I'm going to steal your post for next time I start a page. Have you thought of porting your rumor timeline over to this thread?

BMF said:
I'm going to steal your post for next time I start a page. Have you thought of porting your rumor timeline over to this thread?

All the links lead to post in the NWR thread which then link to the actual stories.
I can quote it if you like and just post it here.

TunaLover said:
A keyboard on the controller screen could be magic to play Monster Hunter 4 =')
Not really magic, but being able to toggle between menus, maps and a virtual keyboard would be quite nice, yeah!

Reasonable Rumors:
Rockstar has something to show (GTA V?)
Rockstar is NOT announcing GTA V at Nintendo's conference, let's keep our delusional thoughts on the Valve network thing.

Graphics Horse said:
April 1st is a Sunday, and a week before the Easter holidays, hmm.
4Fh9w.jpg

It's the Easter Bunny!

EatChildren said:
Of course there's a good reason not to announce it.

It's Microsoft E3 surprise.
j6sn7b.jpg

ReyVGM

Sorry BMF, but I added you to my ignore list until you stop posting the same thing every new page or until this thread dies or gets locked. But it's nothing personal or permanent.

idwl

"Zumba® Fitness 2 will launch on Wii this holiday season and another-to-be announced platform in early 2012."
Majesco press release. So repeat of 3DS situation. Reveal in E3 early 2012 launch :D.

swerve

I'd like to stress my support for BMF and cohorts for keeping the thread's main topic together, and I am not going to be ignoring you because I can happily scroll past a post.

This thread getting bumped for discussions about the worth of Donkey Kong Country Returns was irritating my THIRST FOR Wii2 NEWS.

I wonder if we'll be able to send messages to other users whilst the machine is in standby?

swerve said:
I wonder if we'll be able to send messages to other users whilst the machine is in standby?

I think this would be a nifty idea, to have the network accessible via the controller even when the system is off or in a low-power mode. However, let's not forget the overheating problems the Wii has when using WiiConnect24....Nintendo may not want to repeat those problems.

swerve said:
I'd like to stress my support for BMF and cohorts for keeping the thread's main topic together, and I am not going to be ignoring you because I can happily scroll past a post.

This thread getting bumped for discussions about the worth of Donkey Kong Country Returns was irritating my THIRST FOR Wii2 NEWS.

This is basically the reason I started in the first place.

As it is, I'm going to lay off unless we get back to that nonsense. I think that I almost caused Comedy Bomb to melt down earlier, and that just leads to worse derailings.

swerve

Lupin the Wolf said:
However, let's not forget the overheating problems the Wii has when using WiiConnect24....Nintendo may not want to repeat those problems.

I have had two Wiis (one JP one UK) constantly in Connect24 mode for what, 5 years now? The issue was a hardware fault with the cooling gel, wasn't it? Basically, people should have been using it *more* to find out if they had the issue as early as possible.

There are plenty of devices which get hotter than a Wii in Connect 24 mode, and don't melt.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
idwl said:
"Zumba® Fitness 2 will launch on Wii this holiday season and another-to-be announced platform in early 2012."
Majesco press release. So repeat of 3DS situation. Reveal in E3 early 2012 launch :D.

:D :D :D :D :D

Good find--Perfect time for a launch.

ReyVGM

Ah what the hell. I can't keep BMF on ignore unless he was being an asshole and he wasn't.

Plus, I thought when you ignored someone, everything related to that person was removed. Instead, the forum tells me "Hey! that guy you ignored wrote something. Wanna read it? Then un-ignore him!". It pissed me off, it's like a spoiler tempting and taunting you.

BlackNMild2k1 said:

Lets do a complete rumor recap

Credible Rumors:

-More powerful than PS360 (significantly or just a tad bit is undefined)

Leading or what? Had everything from behind 360 to ahead of PS3.... the only credible way to describe what we know is "circa PS360 in terms of power"

jacksrb

Have seen some demos listed for the 4770 GPU, only to see subsequent posters say that only one think in the demo was being rendered, or another issue with using that as example.

Anyone have a representative example of what would be possible in a console-ization of the 4770?

[I realize that it could be something else in the R700 series]

jacksrb said:
Have seen some demos listed for the 4770 GPU, only to see subsequent posters say that only one think in the demo was being rendered, or another issue with using that as example.

Anyone have a representative example of what would be possible in a console-ization of the 4770?

[I realize that it could be something else in the R700 series]
This is a really good starting point of figuring out where to place the CPU capability wise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...essing_units#Radeon_R700_.28HD_4xxx.29_series

cacildo

ReyVGM said:
God damn you Nintendo. That "June 7" logo is freaking me out. It does look like it's breathing.

Nah, its floating

When i read "its breathing" i remembered the Dreamcast tagline: "its thinking"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom