• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Wii and DS/DSi Games with Downloadable Content?

Slermy

Apr 18, 2009
So, most people are (or should be) aware that Nintendo is shutting down online service for the Wii and DS/DSi come May 20th. This got me thinking about all of the (free) downloadable/unlockable bits that I have yet to download in various games. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a comprehensive list of it all.

This was brought up in the "Nintendo Ending Wi-Fi Connection Worldwide on May 20th" thread but quickly got lost in the shuffle.

Shall we compile a list of games with downloadable levels?

Professor Layton games
Warioware DIY
Jam With The Band/Diagasso! Band Brothers DX
Picross

I'm hoping as its own thread, we can pull together and make our own list of freebies (or even paid content) that we should all download before the servers go down.

Here's a list of Wi-Fi enabled games, but I have no clue which ones have downloadable extras:
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/gameslist/games-wifi.jsp

DS/DSi
100 Classic Books
Dragon Quest IX***
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
Fossil Fighters: Champions
Jam With The Band**
Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem!
Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again
Picross
Picross 3D**
Pokémon Conquest
Pokémon Ranger
Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs
Pokémon Ranger: Shadows of Almia
Professor Layton and the Curious Village
Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Professor Layton and the Unwound Future
Professor Layton and the Last Specter
Solatorobo
Wario Ware D.I.Y.**

Wii
Boom Blox: Bash Party
Final Fantasy: My Life as A Darklord
Final Fantasy: My Life As a King
Fishing Resort
Just Dance 2*
Just Dance 3*
Just Dance 4*
Just Dance 2014*
Mega Man 9
Mega Man 10
Rock Band*
Samba de Amigo*
Space Invaders Get Even*

*Paid (The shops will remain, are these affected?)
**Too big for one cart.
***No longer available.

Now a Google Doc thanks to The12thGripper!

Jul 3, 2013
New Jersey
I know the Pokémon Ranger series, Pokémon Black & White 1/2 and Pokémon Conquest had DLC.

EDIT: Should we create a Google Doc?

EDIT 2: Does the now defunt Smash Service for Super Smash Bros. Brawl count?

astrogamer

Dec 31, 2012
RPI
Well I think Just Dance and Rock Band do have downloadable songs
I think My Life As a King and My Life as A Darklord both have DLC too

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Sep 12, 2011
UK
I posted this on another forum I frequent.

Dragon Quest 9 [Seems Squenix already took the servers down, so you need an Action Replay to get access to the lost content]

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon [The online shop item, the Elysian Whip, is the only way to promote units into Falcoknights.]

Jam With The Band [370 songs! Would require buying the game 6 times to DL everything]

Picross [Has two packs of puzzles from Mario's Picross available to DL]

Picross 3D [There's multiple puzzle and contest packs to download. Far too big for one cart.]

Professor Layton games [All 4 games have additional puzzles to download]

Solatorobo [Additional quests to download.]

Warioware DIY [Has a lot of content to download, including some games made by famous devs. Too big for one cart.]

Hope this helps someone.

L~A

Jan 19, 2013
Nintendo of Europe for a list of all games impacted. Check out the news section for a link to the assistance page. I'd do it myself, but I'm using my phone right now...

Slermy

Apr 18, 2009
Nintendo of Europe for a list of all games impacted. Check out the news section for a link to the assistance page. I'd do it myself, but I'm using my phone right now...

Nintendo of America has one too, but it just lists games that use Wi-Fi, not games that have downloadable content.

L Thammy

Nov 4, 2012
Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom
Oh wait

Dragon Quest IX's "DLC" was actually on the cart. The only thing the online service does is unlock them. I know there's other ways to do that, but I'm not familiar with them. They might not be legal.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
Nov 18, 2013
lrg
The European version of Picross DS only have two DLC packs (why), while the US version is supposed to have tons (Mario's Picross, Mario's Super Picross, Picross NP). I don't know if it'll fit in one cart.

Edit: A person on Gamefaqs says you need 10 copies to save them all.

Blues1990

Jul 6, 2013
Would Mega Man 9 & Mega Man 10 count towards this, despite both games being downloadable WiiWare titles?

rjc571

Banned
Jun 23, 2012
Space Invaders Get Even got around the Wiiware size limit by turning 3/4ths of the game into DLC.

Slermy

Apr 18, 2009
Ah, my mistake.

I know the Pokémon Ranger series, Pokémon Black & White 1/2 and Pokémon Conquest had DLC.

EDIT: Should we create a Google Doc?

EDIT 2: Does the now defunt Smash Service for Super Smash Bros. Brawl count?

Creating a Google Doc is a good idea. I've got to go, but does someone want to do this? I'll edit it into the initial post if someone does.

rjc571

Banned
Jun 23, 2012
A lot of Hudsonsoft titles had free "DLC" which was nothing more than a key to unlock content that came with the game. Alien Crush Returns and Marble Saga Kororinpa spring to mind.

Jul 3, 2013
New Jersey
Yeah. If the Wii and DSi Shop Channel is still up after this, shouldn't DLC be untouched?

The ones with stores shouldn't, which doesn't apply to DS titles.

Creating a Google Doc is a good idea. I've got to go, but does someone want to do this? I'll edit it into the initial post if someone does.

I can do it, if there's a way to add administrative powers (which I think there is); PM me and I'll hand them over to you.

Kazerei

Banned
Nov 25, 2010
Pokemon Conquest - The DLC episodes are already on the cart. There are actually unofficial passwords you can use to unlock them (scroll down to Unlock Events) and they seem to work with no problems. Just load up a save and go to the Passwords option on the in-game menu.

Elija2

Aug 16, 2012
Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again has a bunch of downloadable levels. Most of them are user-created but Nintendo put some out too. You could probably fit all of the Nintendo-created levels onto a single file (it's DSiWare).

jholmes

Jan 15, 2014
Good list. Off the top of my head, I know at least a few of the Guitar Hero games on Wii had DLC, and the Wii's WarioWare DIY Showcase also has the same DLC as the DS game. (That going offline really sticks in my craw as I played that game a ton, made a bunch of games and even got a couple of them featured in Nintendo's contests. I'd love for a sequel that would port over those games but I'm not holding my breath.)

PotionBleue

May 6, 2013
Has Ubisoft confirmed that the Just Dance games will be affected by the WFC shutdown? I find it quite surprising considering Just Dance 2014 came out on Wii in October 2013, sold well (more than any other version) and still gets new DLC songs. Not to mention the online mode is supposed to be the brand new feature of JD2014.

Toad.T

Banned
May 10, 2013
How do you even get to these anymore? Most of the games require online connections that aren't possible anymore. (Lower security WiFi). Or can you change that with modern routers?

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
Nov 18, 2013
lrg
How do you even get to these anymore? Most of the games require online connections that aren't possible anymore. (Lower security WiFi). Or can you change that with modern routers?

Just use WEP or no encryption at all, it should work.

M3d10n

Aug 28, 2006
Has Ubisoft confirmed that the Just Dance games will be affected by the WFC shutdown? I find it quite surprising considering Just Dance 2014 came out on Wii in October 2013, sold well (more than any other version) and still gets new DLC songs. Not to mention the online mode is supposed to be the brand new feature of JD2014.

I'm not sure, but I believe WFC games need to connect to a central WFC server before they can jump to any publisher-specific infrastructure (if any). This is probably an all-or-nothing deal.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
Nov 18, 2013
lrg
If I can't change the router set up itself, will I be able to do this? Or will I be able to change the settings on my 3DS itself (I don't have a DSi)?
If your router uses anything other than WEP it won't work at all with regular DS games. (DSi enhanced games like Pokemon BW/BW2 supports some type of WPA encryption)
I often use my phone as a Wifi hotspot for DS games, but I'm not sure if it's feasible for everyone.

Toad.T

Banned
May 10, 2013
If your router uses anything other than WEP it won't work at all with regular DS games. (DSi enhanced games like Pokemon BW/BW2 supports some type of WPA encryption)
I often use my phone as a Wifi hotspot for DS games, but I'm not sure if it's feasible for everyone.

Thanks for the phone info. That part's done, now all I have to do is purchase multiple copies of Picross DS.

Gameboy415

Dec 15, 2008
NW Suburbs, IL
amiibros.com
Did CrossworDS have daily DLC puzzles like the 3DS version does?
That might be one to add to the list.

On a related note, is it possible to download all of the "daily" content for some of these games all in one go?
I suppose we could manually adjust our DS/3DS clocks but I'm not sure if that would work...can anyone confirm this?

Picross and Picross 3D both have huge quantities of DLC - too much to store on a cart. I'm going to really miss those once they're gone.

I seriously need to investigate this....I love Picross!! I even got the Club Nintendo Japan-exclusive Picross game when I got my JP 3DSLL. :)
I might even pick up a few extra Picross 3D carts, if necessary (which are seemingly super-cheap nowadays).

If I can't change the router set up itself, will I be able to do this? Or will I be able to change the settings on my 3DS itself (I don't have a DSi)?

I haven't done it in ages so I don't recall the details, but I was able to set up a guest wifi connection using WEP on my home network back when I had to transfer my DSiWare to my 3DS.
If you Google your specific modem/router you should be able to find instructions on how to set it up (if it's actually possible).

UncleSporky

Sep 22, 2006
I went through all of my 100+ DS games a few days ago, alphabetizing them and checking their online features at the same time. I just entered in a bunch of the key stuff that people will want to finish if they have a chance, and some other things I remembered.

Mainly the games where you connect once and download everything, so your cart is set forever.

maxcriden

Sep 15, 2013
www.neogaf.com
I haven't done it in ages so I don't recall the details, but I was able to set up a guest wifi connection using WEP on my home network back when I had to transfer my DSiWare to my 3DS.
If you Google your specific modem/router you should be able to find instructions on how to set it up (if it's actually possible).

I'll check it out, thanks!

Mitsurux

Aug 19, 2011
Detroit
Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again

Only allows 140 levels to be downloaded... and what stinks is your created levels also eat into the 140 total...

Also i don't think all of the Nintendo created levels are still available for download...

Starwolf_UK

Dec 5, 2008
twitter.com
Picross DS and 3D have save files with the content unlocked online somewhere (I have them downloaded, there must be a way).
Fire Emblem Shin ... no nazo has some unlock keys for a few side missions (playable outside the main plot) and bonus items. The fan translation comes with these.
I think the DQIX have saves for nearly all the shops somewhere (a few are missing as they were not captures during the first run of them, Square Enix took down the service for the second run and the third run will be just after) but the items are in other shops.

Picross DS is 1 save for Europe and South Korea (a few Marios picross puzzle packs because how do you internet), 5 for Japan and 10 for America.
Picross 3D is 3 saves for Japan, 3 for USA and 4 for Europe (what, we got more content?). These were mostly user submission competitions so may well be unique for each region.

Solatorobo [Additional quests to download.]
How early into the game is the download option?

Boom Blox had a bunch of downloadable levels, I think.
Wasn't this on an EA server (to get around frund coodes) meaning it probably died a long time ago.

As for these...
Space Invaders Get Even got around the Wiiware size limit by turning 3/4ths of the game into DLC.
I recall the Wii version of Samba De Amigo having downloadable songs.
Well I think Just Dance and Rock Band do have downloadable songs
I think My Life As a King and My Life as A Darklord both have DLC too
These are all pay and play content which have the content hosted on the Wii Shop so should not try to use Wi-Fi connection service. As a result they will be unaffected.