• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Chess - Wifi, different graphics-styles, Low Budget-price

Some infos (in german):

Das Spiel der Könige wird für Wii neu aufgelegt und das zum Budget-Preis! Dank der innovativen Wii-Steuerungund interaktiver Tipps können sowohl Anfänger als auch Fortgeschrittene und Profis sehr schnell und einfachgegen Gegner aus aller Welt antreten. Um jederzeit einen angemessen Gegner zu haben, lässt sich in wenigen Sekunden die Computerstärke einstellen auch mitten im Spiel. Aber auch diejenigen, die lieber gegen echte Menschen spielen, sind bei Wii Schach bestens aufgehoben. Entweder man tritt ganz klassisch im Multiplayer-Modus gegeneinander an oder findet über die Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection Gegner aus der ganzen Welt. Natürlich ohne weitere Kosten! Und falls die stundenlange Knobelei ein wenig zu trist wirken sollte, kann der Grafikstil des Spiels ebenfalls per einfachem Tastendruck geändert werden. Vergangene Partien werden im Wii-System abgespeichert und können später erneut angesehen werden ein optimales Training, um ein perfekter Schachspieler zu werden.

Keypoints:

Support Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection,
Multiplayer-local
different graphics-styles,
Low Budget-price - 29,99 Euro
Release: 18.01.2008

Boxart:

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Wait, is it coming on a disc? This better have like Chessmaster like difficulty or something or animated chess pieces that blow up or something.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
The scary thing is that if this came with extra Nintendo themed sets, I'd probably buy it in a heartbeat.

Of course, animations would be nice too, but...

F#A#Oo

Banned
AlternativeUlster said:
Wait, is it coming on a disc? This better have like Chessmaster like difficulty or something or animated chess pieces that blow up or something.

This is Nintendo...:lol

It's better to buy Fritz or CM...it would be cheaper and a better Chess game with far more content for sure...

Linkup

Wii Solitaire - $49.99
Includes Nintendo themed decks
Features Vegas and Standard Scoring System!
Funnier on Wii than your computer!
No Online!

KevinCow

Banned
I... just don't see the point in this product existing. I can play chess online for free on my computer, and, unlike Nintendo's products, I'll actually be able to chat with the guy I'm playing. And if they're really determined to put chess on the Wii, why not just make it a Wii Ware game? Or why not make it "Wii Board Games," and include Chess, Checkers, Go, Othello, Chinese Checkers, and all that stuff?

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
KevinCow said:
I... just don't see the point in this product existing. I can play chess online for free on my computer, and, unlike Nintendo's products, I'll actually be able to chat with the guy I'm playing. And if they're really determined to put chess on the Wii, why not just make it a Wii Ware game? Or why not make it "Wii Board Games," and include Chess, Checkers, Go, Othello, Chinese Checkers, and all that stuff?

I want some Othello. It will probably be called Turncoat for I think Othello is copywrited or something (at least in Clubhouse Games, it was called Turncoat).

magus

If this was...

8eka5vc.jpg

(for Wii)

I would buy it instantly.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Battle Chess was the greatest.

pswii60 said:
They should have made a board game compilation kinda like they did on the DS.
Whilst it would be nice, I don't think it'd be really viable if you've already got it on a much more playable system. Mahjong Solitaire has me by the balls with that game.. cannot stop playing it.

Should've been WiiWare. Don't know if I would want to swap discs for chess.

F#A#Oo said:
I don't see how €29.99 is budget but ok...
Normal price: 50 € (first party), budget price: 30 € (just like BBA, EO)

marvelharvey said:
Or if you could create your own sets with Miis
That's a freakin' great idea.

D3MO

Banned
Barkley's Justice said:
if it were on 360. i hear they buy games veraciously.

Wrong...microsoft buys ~500,000 of each game they release and burn it to make software sales look better. That's why they're still in the red.

Xellos

Infernal Monkey said:
Why not? I doubt the target audience for this would even know the Wii can go online.

Just seems to me that a small program, like video game chess, would be well suited to a download service like WiiWare. I suppose Nintendo could put enough boards/modes in this to justify a full retail release, though. Nintendo/Mii themed boards would be nice.

Just seems to me that a small program, like video game chess, would be well suited to a download service like WiiWare

Its probably not on Wii-ware, as it still has no offical start date for the "channel", and I assume it(Wii-ware) will be like the VC where they stagger the releases, so I would think they would wait to get more 3rd party stuff out instead of just flooding it with their own products.
£20 for a chess games(if it has a good tutorial) isn't bad, maybe you will be able to download new sets in the future(as it says the multiplayer is only local so what would they use wifi for? Can't see leaderboards in a chess game)

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Cerebral Assassin said:
Its probably not on Wii-ware, as it still has no offical start date for the "channel", and I assume it(Wii-ware) will be like the VC where they stagger the releases, so I would think they would wait to get more 3rd party stuff out instead of just flooding it with their own products.
£20 for a chess games(if it has a good tutorial) isn't bad, maybe you will be able to download new sets in the future(as it says the multiplayer is only local so what would they use wifi for? Can't see leaderboards in a chess game)

The translation of the full article says play people from all over the world.

maxmars

Hmm seems to support several levels of difficulty, online/offline, several boards.. Looks cools to me.

The pieces set and colors look suspiciously like they're coming out of Chessbase, but perhaps this is asking too much. :lol

Slavik81

rakka said:
by nintendo?

also the box art couldn't look shitter
You mean better, right? That's the best thing they could have done for a chess game... A simple top-down view of the board.

What did you want? Stylized drawings of chess pieces fighting each other?

luffeN

the german info also say that played matches will be saved in the wii-system and you can watch them again. you can change the A.I.'s skill while playing in real time.

Visualante said:
Not even an attempt to make chess interesting.

The game has been going for over 500yrs and probably has more people playing it worldwide than 90% of videogames, I don't really think there is much you can do to make chess interesting to someone who has no interest in it.

luffeN

Slavik81 said:
Now that you mention it, that might have been better... :lol
seems so. bring one for 360 and ps3 with all their key franchises. some gears, some pinata, even some forza :D

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Cerebral Assassin said:
The game has been going for over 500yrs and probably has more people playing it worldwide than 90% of videogames, I don't really think there is much you can do to make chess interesting to someone who has no interest in it.

Pikmin!

At the very least have pikmin walk on the board and carry off the taken pieces ...

Cerebral Assassin said:
I saw Chess 3000 (i think) advertised years ago , that looked great. They could have done something interesting with it to make it more approachable.
It doesn't come close to commanding it's current asking price.

Top Bottom