• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii.com update - Photo Channel

Man of Knowledge said:
Not impressive at all. Wii is doom to failure.

nester.jpg

AniHawk

Whoa. I thought that was kinda lame until I saw how they used the eraser. It'll probably be a lot harder to do IRL, but still, that was pretty neat.

thefro

Yeah, there's some neat functionality here. It's not going to replace Photoshop or anything but for the average person they'll be able to do some cool stuff.

Christopher

Weren't Nintendo fans bitching along time ago that the playstation does everything and more but games were an after thought...wait what?

Amir0x

Banned
*tee hee*

Edit: Also, guys, when someone makes such an obviously stupid/trollish comment, please don't quote it a million times and show a dozen photoshops around it. it ruins the thread. Most of the time we'll see that shit.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
IMHO this is pretty limited in its usefulness. First, its SD only. Although a lot of digital cameras use SD, a lot use others. I have two digital cameras. One uses Memory stick duo, one uses Compact Flash. So I'm screwed.

Second, what can you do with the photos after you've fiddled? I guess post them to other wii owners? Have we seen whether you can also send 'normal' email?

And why cards only? why not from my computer? I can't even plug anything in via USB I don't think.

I'm not against nice multimedia things, but do it properly. It just seems half hearted. I hope they can update firmware to add new stuff.

jarosh

Amir0x said:
*tee hee*

Edit: Also, guys, when someone makes such an obviously stupid/trollish comment, please don't quote it a million times and show a dozen photoshops around it. it ruins the thread. Most of the time we'll see that shit.
yeah i usually don't do this. i just needed to post that gif once and now it can rest in peace.

Chao

mrklaw said:
IMHO this is pretty limited in its usefulness. First, its SD only. Although a lot of digital cameras use SD, a lot use others. I have two digital cameras. One uses Memory stick duo, one uses Compact Flash. So I'm screwed.

Second, what can you do with the photos after you've fiddled? I guess post them to other wii owners? Have we seen whether you can also send 'normal' email?

And why cards only? why not from my computer? I can't even plug anything in via USB I don't think.

I'm not against nice multimedia things, but do it properly. It just seems half hearted. I hope they can update firmware to add new stuff.

Well maybe it is limited indeed, but I don't think we will be making photoshops of Reggie when we could be just playing Zelda.

It's that kind of "oh little kid, look what you can do here! you can paint a moustache in your own face! isn't that hilarious? Fine, now I'm going to hump your sister, so you stay here and have fun, ok? Gooooood boy" thing

kojacker

I can't imagine ever using this... maybe if I didn't have a PC. I'd rather Nintendo concentrated on other things.

EDIT: Wait... he got banned for that?

Firestorm

kojacker said:
EDIT: Wait... he got banned for that?

You must have missed the warning thread saying they're going to crack down big time during TGS because of the many trolls.

Anyway, VIDEO CONFIRMED! Hopefully AVI and WMV will be both compatible. Converting video sucks.

They should have put in a card reader under that flap. With at least the major formats, SD, CF, XD memory stick. Or activated the USB to use USB Mass storage. GRand total of the cost probably less than 100 yen.

Chao

Firestorm said:
You must have missed the warning thread saying they're going to crack down big time during TGS because of the many trolls.

Anyway, VIDEO CONFIRMED! Hopefully AVI and WMV will be both compatible. Converting video sucks.

Windows Media on a Nintendo system?

It would be interesting.

mrklaw said:

connect_img2.gif

Notice how the arrow is going from the other devices. Send photos from your phone/computer to your Wii from other locations? Hmm!

Looks pretty nice.

Found this too on amazon...
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AYA59M/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I think I'll be getting one. Seems easy enough, you just slot in your SD card into the back of the device and then plug the device into your PC through USB then manage the contents of the SD card. Only $9.99 too.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Firestorm said:

It seems focused around digital cameras. So that should at least mean MPEG1 and MPEG4. Hopefully they'll support AVC 1.2/1.3 so be ipod compatible. Although if its SD only I'm unlikely to use it as a media center with only 2GB :)

Doctor_No

That photo storm at the begining when organizing photos is amazing, but the user seems to have a hard time aiming the wiimote when editing the photo, the video features look great and so does the slideshow. I thought the photo feature in the Wii was something I would never use like the pictochat or the PSP's photo feature, but it looks very decent.

thefro

aorange999 said:
They should have put in a card reader under that flap. With at least the major formats, SD, CF, XD memory stick. Or activated the USB to use USB Mass storage. GRand total of the cost probably less than 100 yen.

They can activate the USB port to support mass storage anytime they want... it's just a console OS upgrade they have to push out.

Doctor_No said:
That photo storm at the begining when organizing photos is amazing, but the user seems to have a hard time aiming the wiimote when editing the photo, the video features look great and so does the slideshow. I thought the photo feature in the Wii was something I would never use like the pictochat or the PSP's photo feature, but it looks very decent.

Agreed. I don't know why but the use of layering impresses me.

dyls

I still can't believe how smoothly it runs. All the photos are obviously kept in RAM as you can nearly instantly go from looking at 500 thumbnails to any single picture. I'm just impressed that a company with no experience making this type of software could nail it so nicely the first time. Looks better than Iphoto (especially in terms of speed and organization) and that program has been around for years. I hope Jobs is checking this out.

/bitter rant of Mac owner annoyed that he can't use Picasa

Squeak

Doctor_No said:
That's because he is using it with a stretched out arm. Normally you would rest your wrist on you knee or arm rest.

Doctor_No

Squeak said:
That's because he is using it with a stretched out arm. Normally you would rest your wrist on you knee or arm rest.

That might be true, but it would be more convincing if he could get the sunglasses on properly and write "Yea~" in Japanese more legibily, but I didn't want to sound negative being that this Photo Channel looks to be geniunely fun and useful. Love the photo storm effect, and it reminds me of Mario Paint, It'd be nice if you could somehow use the WiFi capabilities and use your DS for the photoediting part. . .

Wow that really does looks cooler than I expected.

This is seriously another feature that will drive Japan crazy. They love their photo editing over there...

BudokaiMR2 said:
Wow that really does looks cooler than I expected.

This is seriously another feature that will drive Japan crazy. They love their photo editing over there...

Yeah I think so too. Especially sending phone photos to the Wii then editing them and sending the back to the phone.

Top Bottom