• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii costs $158 to manufacture (Aside from controllers)

Graphic chip 29.60
CPU 13.00
DRAM 7.80
Optical disk drive 31.00
Power supply 11.30
Manufacturing cost 19.50 (The editorial department calculates PS3 at half price. )
Cost total 158.30
Wholesale price 195.99 (Calculate by eight multiplications of the fixed price. )

DRAM code name is "VEGAS"
LSI Codename is "NAPA"??

Moreover, the weekly Orient economy TK plus introduces the result of the cost analysis on Wii consigned to the merganser ply company. In the manufacturing origins of the main parts, Samsung and the drive are made by Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd. in Nidec and DRAM in the fan, and it has not been clarified so far, and assembly is Umicawaza group (FOXCONN) . of Taiwan according to it. The main cost is as follows (dollar mark).

Blimblim

The Inside Track
$31 for the optical disk drive? I have hard time believing it's that expensive when I can buy DVD burners at retail for half that price. I know the size factor is important, but still...

PantherLotus said:
The Taj Mahal only cost 200k to build, aside from the jewel-encrusted walls.
I can’t find a cost for the damned controller you sarcy git
Nor can they give one, but still I doubt they cost in excess of $40 to make

Pretty much about what I expected.

The cost on the disc drive seems a bit suspect though it's slot loading and probably very small/quiet, so that might account for the higher cost there.

Sega

Blimblim said:
$31 for the optical disk drive? I have hard time believing it's that expensive when I can buy DVD burners at retail for half that price. I know the size factor is important, but still...
Have you used it? It's self loading, and it can take both normal sized discs, AND the tiny gamecube discs. It can take cube discs, even if you don't put it directly in the center too. I think the drive is pretty special. Plus, they probably didn't go with the very cheapest they could find. Nintendo tends to build strong hardware.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
DefectiveReject said:

:p

You're forgetting about R&D, bud.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Sega said:
Have you used it? It's self loading, and it can take both normal sized discs, AND the tiny gamecube discs. It can take cube discs, even if you don't put it directly in the center too. I think the drive is pretty special. Plus, they probably didn't go with the very cheapest they could find. Nintendo tends to build strong hardware.
I can (or could at least since they are not for sell anymore) get a slot loading DVD drive for 16 euros a few months ago. And that was retail price. Of course the fact that's custom made drives the price up, but I doubt it makes the drive 3 times more expensive.

quetz67

Banned
Never!

Besides the new CUP/GPU and more RAM this shouldnt be much more expensive than a Gamecube, which sure costs less than $100 to produce incl. a controller

We already know Nintendo is selling the system at a profit, so it can't cost more than $220 to make or so (the Japanese price). This would be a reasonable estimate, though yeah, the disc drive cost does seem rather high, even for a slot loading drive.

PantherLotus said:
:p

You're forgetting about R&D, bud.
Don’t all these costs incl the development? I believe that’s how it works.

AND A SOURCE?
I made it all up………

109_4.jpg

www.toyokeizai.net
www.nintendo-inside.jp

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
Blimblim said:

8cm & 12cm dvd slot loading are not very common. That's the only possible reason with it's so expensive

Sega

Blimblim said:
I can (or could at least since they are not for sell anymore) get a slot loading DVD drive for 16 euros a few months ago. And that was retail price. Of course the fact that's custom made drives the price up, but I doubt it makes the drive 3 times more expensive.
Well, the Gamecube sized disc loading isn't common for those types of drives, if I remember correctly. Also, it has be able to run both vertically and horizontally. And again, they probably didn't go with the absolute cheapest solution, as their hardware is usually quite solid. This DOES feel like the most fragile Nintendo system I've ever used though. Plus, all of Wii is about the size of a single DVD drive. It has to fit inside. All of those requirements limit their choices, and drive up cost.

The noise of the drive probably also was an issue. Iwata insisted on a quiet drive, remember. And yeah, disc drives are the component that are most likely to break in modern systems, so they probably did not want to go absolutely dirt cheap on that.

yilmazz

Blimblim said:

You sure that the drives themselves are as small as the Wii drive? I highly doubt it.

Sega said:
Well, the Gamecube sized disc loading isn't common for those types of drives, if I remember correctly. Also, it has be able to run both vertically and horizontally. And again, they probably didn't go with the absolute cheapest solution, as their hardware is usually quite solid. This DOES feel like the most fragile Nintendo system I've ever used though. Plus, all of Wii is about the size of a single DVD drive. It has to fit inside. All of those requirements limit their choices, and drive up cost.

I think its actually quite a solid device
I haven’t had a single problem at all with mine
Especially considering all the stuff this thing has, that other Nintendo consoles didn’t have.

Hyoushi

Blimblim said:
3 times more expensive? 16 euros is 21 dollars.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Blimblim said:
Slot-loading DVD drive that accepts both standard and mini (gamecube) DVDs, plus extremely slim form factor.

I'm not surprised.
DefectiveReject said:
Well if we price the controller at $40 for both 'mote and nunchuck (~30/10 or 25/15) that puts the manufacturing price of the Wii package at ~$195. Throw in $5 for the PSU, sensor bar and crap A/V cable, that puts the manufacturing cost at ~$200

Wii retails ~$210 in japan (without Wii Sport), so they wouldn't make *that* much of a profit on the unit.
Blimblim said:
Slot-loading DVD drives that accept both 16 and 8cm DVDs are definitely not common.

And you should remember that while entry prices on DVD drives are ~15€, they can get up to 100€ (Plextor PX760)

Striek

Thats a surprisingly high estimate. And their wholesale price would be very quirksome, although thats for Japan I guess.

Also, thats a hilarious comparison between Wii and PS3. One retails for $50 above cost and one $400 below...

DefectiveReject said:
I doubt its in excess of $10.

xsarien said:
And shipping...
And marketing...
And packaging...
And labor...

(What's the point of this thread again?)

It’s the first time we’ve had actual figures on the breakdown of costs on Wii.
We had a similar thread for the PS3 and one for the 360.

quetz67 said:
Never!

Besides the new CUP/GPU and more RAM this shouldnt be much more expensive than a Gamecube, which sure costs less than $100 to produce incl. a controller
You need to stop reading GAF, it is poisoning your brain. The graphics chip actually is better than the cube's (SHOCK AND AWE), also on top of that it has a slot-loading drive, a wifi and bluetooth chipset, 512 MB of RAM, and an SD card reader, all in a smaller package. All the fanboy trolling in the world (for any side and from anyone) can't change the fact that the Wii does have newer, nicer, and smaller hardware than its predecessor. :p

I'm supposedly a Nintendo guy, but I can appreciate that the PS3 has some damn beautiful engineering. Can we agree that the Wii actually does, in real life, push a few more pixels than the Cube does and stop spewing this bullshit? Christ.

xsarien

daedsiluap
quetz67 said:
Never!

Holy crap!
You lose at the Internet.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Hyoushi said:
3 times more expensive? 16 euros is 21 dollars.
16 euros was with 20% VAT, and it was a retail price. You know as well as me that the price for one unit isn't the same as for millions of units. Without VAT it would be 13.2 euros, so I really doubt that if Nintendo wanted the exact same drive it would be more than 7/8 euros, so about $10.
Of course it's not the same drive, it's smaller, maybe sturdier, and accepts 8cm discs. But does that make it 3 times more expensive?

jonezer4 said:
You guys really think the controller costs 40 bucks?
I'm sure Nintendo makes money off of it, as they're good at that, but I doubt the profit margin is huge. If it was, they'd just lower the price to make it "more accessible". I'm guessing it costs them 25 bucks-ish to make one of the things. Possibly 30 but that's cutting it close.

Blimblim said:
16 euros was with 20% VAT, and it was a retail price. You know as well as me that the price for one unit isn't the same as for millions of units. Without VAT it would be 13.2 euros, so I really doubt that if Nintendo wanted the exact same drive it would be more than 7/8 euros, so about $10.
Of course it's not the same drive, it's smaller, maybe sturdier, and accepts 8cm discs. But does that make it 3 times more expensive?
A Sony HD TV is £1000
An ACER HD TV is £400

A Wii optical drive is $31
Your DVD drive was $21

Let you guess what I’m getting at!!!

Wii DVD drive also doesn’t play DVD’s, plays 8cm and 12cm discs and is MUCH MUCH smaller than a standard DVD drive. So is obviously proprietary in many ways, which has additional costs!

Ninja Dom

ZeromusMog said:
You need to stop reading GAF, it is poisoning your brain. The graphics chip actually is better than the cube's (SHOCK AND AWE), also on top of that it has a slot-loading drive, a wifi and bluetooth chipset, 512 MB of RAM, and an SD card reader, all in a smaller package. All the fanboy trolling in the world (for any side and from anyone) can't change the fact that the Wii does have newer, nicer, and smaller hardware than its predecessor. :p

I'm supposedly a Nintendo guy, but I can appreciate that the PS3 has some damn beautiful engineering. Can we agree that the Wii actually does, in real life, push a few more pixels than the Cube does and stop spewing this bullshit? Christ.

QFT

Hyoushi

Blimblim said:
Well. AFAIK the drive was basically done as a ground-up custom project by/for Nintendo, since no other slotloader like it existed (accepting dual sizes in the same way). So yeah, R&D and custom manufacturing probably costs a fair bit.

quetz67

Banned
ZeromusMog said:

I already that it is more expensive because of more powerful CPU etc., but we are talking about some $100 difference probably. That would only make sense if they include R&D for the first x million units.

I think it is fine that Nintendo make tons of money, but instead of making $50 (or probably more) profit from hardware they could have actually spent that $50 on better hardware. Deciding against HD they could have made a console able to compete with 360/PS3 graphically, just at a lower resolution/fillrate

Ninja Dom

Hyoushi said:
Well. AFAIK the drive was basically done as a ground-up custom project by/for Nintendo, since no other slotloader like it existed (accepting dual sizes in the same way). So yeah, R&D and custom manufacturing probably costs a fair bit.

A collaboration between Nintendo & Panasonic (Matsushita)

quetz67 said:
I already that it is more expensive because of more powerful CPU etc., but we are talking about some $100 difference probably. That would only make sense if they include R&D for the first x million units.

I think it is fine that Nintendo make tons of money, but instead of making $50 (or probably more) profit from hardware they could have actually spent that $50 on better hardware. Deciding against HD they could have made a console able to compete with 360/PS3 graphically, just at a lower resolution/fillrate

$40 profit per console
God knows how much profit from software
God knows how much profit on controllers and accessories.
$$$$’s profit from VC

Wii is a profit monster!!
Lets hope they start banging those games out!!

ZeromusMog said:

It has a processor on par with the first Xbox. Nobody cares.

F#A#Oo

Banned
quetz67 said:

Meh...

I can't believe people are still harking on about the Wii not being HD...:D

Lol @ it takes only $50 to improve things!:lol

Ninja Dom

quetz67 said:

That just isn't how Nintendo traditionally does business.

We know that they have aimed to sell all machines (from over 20 years) at profit from Day One. That philosophy won't change simply to compete with Sony or Microsoft - regardless of how much Nintendo do have in the bank.

I bet that while you've got gamers shaking their heads at Nintendo for how much cost they put into their machine, you've also got investors & executives at Microsoft & Sony shaking their heads at how much cost they've put into their respective machines.

LiveFromKyoto said:
It has a processor on par with the first Xbox. Nobody cares.

You say that like it's a 100% accurate statement. It's kind of an apples to oranges thing, really. In a simple explanation, yes, it's roughly around there, but the actual answer is somewhat more complex. I would dig up more on this but it's 2:30 AM here and I don't even know why the hell I'm up.

And as for all the crying about the Wii not being in HD, yes HD is very nice but it's just not mass-mass market yet, and by the time it is in 4-5 years Nintendo will be there with another $250 console to take advantage of it. Maybe it will even have a hard drive. Who knows! Nintendo will make money off of that one, too, though. ;)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
soundwave05 said:
The noise of the drive probably also was an issue. Iwata insisted on a quiet drive, remember. And yeah, disc drives are the component that are most likely to break in modern systems, so they probably did not want to go absolutely dirt cheap on that.

what quiet drive? My wii is pretty noisy

Monk

Banned
xsarien said:
And shipping...
And marketing...
And packaging...
And labor...

(What's the point of this thread again?)

Technically labor and packaging is accounted for. Shipping, profit and marketing to wholesalers is accounted for in the wholesale price i think:p

So $54 fopr the Wiimote, nunchuck, sensor bar, powersupply etc etc.

Monk

Banned
SpoDaddy said:
I was wondering if something was wrong with my Wii; when playing Excite Truck my Wii's drive makes audible chugging sounds.

Does it make scratching sounds, it only makes that "silencer" sound for me.

Top Bottom