• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii emulator can do 720p HD

Cday said:

Just started playing RE0. It looks damn good for a gamecube game. All it needed was some AA and a resolution bump.

You could try limiting the framerate to say, 30. Maybe that will sync the sound.

Eh, it's too bad those pre-rendered backgrounds are SD, otherwise I'm sure it would look fantastic.

Didn't mean to hit that....

288qas3.jpg

t4zfco.jpg

2j3h9bl.jpg

I know you've seen RE4 in HD before (thanks to crap PC port) but this is important because it means you get the great controls of the Wii version with the HD graphics of the PC version.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Mithos said:
I have owned all Nintendo consoles except the Virtual Boy, and I can say for a fact, that if Nintendo even thinks about releasing that WiiHD you seem to want, I hope they all crash and burn.

Unless the next homeconsole from Nintendo at least are up to par with PS360, Nintendo should not release it.

The question is then, could Nintendo release a "box" that connects between the component cables and the system itself and boosts the output and/or add's better AA/filtering? Is that even possible? I know that the digital cables for the PAL GCN had additional hardware that made it better. They released a "box" that boosted wireless networking for Wii in Japan afterall.

Meh, I dunno...

DrGAKMAN said:
The question is then, could Nintendo release a "box" that connects between the component cables and the system itself and boosts the output and/or add's better AA/filtering? Is that even possible? I know that the digital cables for the PAL GCN had additional hardware that made it better. They released a "box" that boosted wireless networking for Wii in Japan afterall.

Meh, I dunno...

Remember the N64 Expansion Pack that doubled the resolution of games that used it? A Wii Expansion Pack would be great right about now.

2v820iw.jpg

DrGAKMAN said:

Meh, I dunno...

No.

.:Wesker:. said:
Click for HD

http://i30.tinypic.com/334qfb8.jpg"]http://i26.tinypic.com/1f7a05.jpg

http://i30.tinypic.com/zof30l.jpg"][IMG]http://i28.tinypic.com/2yx0tw2.jpg

Not very 'sharp' thanks to the cel-shading they used. At least there aren't any jaggies![/QUOTE]

That was fast! Thanks for the pics.

Yeah, doesn't look quite as nice as I thought it would, but still an improvement over it's normal visuals.

Lafazar

Is it just me or do both Resident Evil 0 and Resident Evil 4 lack dynamic shadows/lighting in these screenshots? If I had to guess, I would say Capcom coded special shader/lighting routines which are either not emulated correctly or are not upscaleable, so the emulator ignores them when playing in higher resolutions.

Lafazar said:
Is it just me or do both Resident Evil 0 and Resident Evil 4 lack dynamic shadows/lighting in these screenshots? If I had to guess, I would say Capcom coded special shader/lighting routines which are either not emulated correctly or are not upscaleable, so the emulator ignores them when playing in higher resolutions.
They look fine to me, I just flipped back and forth between the game on my Wii and in the emulator.

I'm having some problems. I'm running the latest version, but if I try to play Super Smash Bros. Melee (GameCube) it runs rather slow.

I'm 6 GB RAM. Intel Quad Core 2.4 GHz. ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro. Vista 64.

It should be playing good with this.

Any suggestions on what settings I should have off/on?

darkwings

Banned
DarthWaiter said:
It should be playing good with this.

nope, not fast enough CPU...

the dolphin does not take advantage of quad cores, only dual cores and CPU speed is the most important factor here.

I have oced my cpu to 3.7 ghz, running pretty good.

Dascu

.:Wesker:. said:
Didn't mean to hit that....

http://i26.tinypic.com/288qas3.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i30.tinypic.com/t4zfco.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i28.tinypic.com/2j3h9bl.jpg[IMG]

I know you've seen RE4 in HD before (thanks to crap PC port) but this is important because it means you get the [B]great controls of the Wii version[/B] with the HD graphics of the PC version.[/QUOTE]
Wait, you can get the Wiimote pointer to work just fine on the PC? How would one do this?

Dascu said:
Wait, you can get the Wiimote pointer to work just fine on the PC? How would one do this?
Bluetooth adapter + GlovePIE + Wireless IR sensor or candles or you can even use the Wii's sensor bar with the Wii turned on.

scitek

God damn, I need a new PC. Could one of those $500 GAF PC threads help me with a system to run this emulator well, or would I need to spend considerably more?

I only get 15 FPS with The Conduit on my current setup. :lol

K' Dash

scitek said:
God damn, I need a new PC. Could one of those $500 GAF PC threads help me with a system to run this emulator well, or would I need to spend considerably more?

I only get 15 FPS with The Conduit on my current setup. :lol

Well, you could spend half of that and get a Wii.

ombz

Would it be impossible for someone to make the wii(with component cables) itself render the games in hd using the homebrew channel.

jett

D-Member
ombz said:
Would it be impossible for someone to make the wii(with component cables) itself render the games in hd using the homebrew channel.

Impossible. The Wii doesn't have the power to do that.

scitek

K' Dash said:
Well, you could spend half of that and get a Wii.

I have a Wii, but I wanna play in 720p on a 136-inch projector screen!

EDIT: I'm going to put together a new PC, anyway, I was just wondering if I could go the $500 route and still be able to run this.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
scitek said:
Nope. It looks fantastic.

Can anyone answer my question?
Yes you can, easily. E8400 plus 4850 should be enough. If you can fit it in your budget upgrade the card to a 4890. Everything else should be easy to find, check out the PC thread.

Not sure what the emulator prefers though, ATI or Nvidia. Maybe someone else can answer that.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Has anybody got The Conduit running on it yet?

Guybrush Threepwood said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXEwDsssA94&fmt=22

This is really unprecedented in the history of video games. How many times has a competent emulator for Console X not only been released during Console X's lifetime, but is actually an improvement over Console X? You can argue that Wii hardware isn't "current-gen" hardware, but this is still astounding.

The emulator isn't perfect, but that's the thing: it's only going to improve as time goes on.

What does this mean for the Wii and for the video game industry?

Yup but if the games are not in 720 then it will not display it in 720p. This is like trying to make a 8 bit NES game look like 64 bit Nintendo 64 Game. Congrats on the guy on making it emulator to bad Nintendo does not work with this team.

Asmodai

Banned
Wow, those high resolution shots of Mario Galaxy look incredible considering that the game was developed for 480p at max. I've played plenty of 360 games that didn't look nearly as clean, smooth, or vibrant as high res Galaxy does.

Pity that it takes such a powerhouse of a PC to run these well.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Chauncy Talon said:
Yup but if the games are not in 720 then it will not display it in 720p.

Yes it will. Higher resolutions will render the game as such, and display a crisper, finer image and dramatically increase object detail over a distance. AA will help clean up the overall image, and AF will smooth out texture streaming and LOD again creating a sharper, crisper and more detailed image.

The overall art assets might be built for 480p, but that can be rendered in a higher resolution and filtered to display as a more attractive image.

Hotsuma

I dont understand why the emulator does not take advantage of quad cores? This is what confuses me about PC gaming. There are new processors and the like out there, but if they don't take advantage of it, why buy it? It makes it hard for me to figure out what to invest in.

I'm starting to wish I had not even bothered with getting a new PC to play games. Just too much hassle. :/

Zeliard

Chauncy Talon said:
I am not understanding this. I am looking at this setup as, if a game is not encoded to be featured as 720p then how can it be shown in 720p. The display look amazing, but I really do think it pushing the games out at 480p, in which they are encoded to be.

The emulator itself is literally replacing the console. You can tell it to render the game at whatever resolution you want. A PC is not limited to rendering at 480p.

EatChildren said:
Yes it will. Higher resolutions will render the game as such, and display a crisper, finer image and dramatically increase object detail over a distance. AA will help clean up the overall image, and AF will smooth out texture streaming and LOD again creating a sharper, crisper and more detailed image.

The overall art assets might be built for 480p, but that can be rendered in a higher resolution and filtered to display as a more attractive image.

Zeliard said:
The emulator itself is literally replacing the console. You can tell it to render the game at whatever resolution you want. A PC is not limited to rendering at 480p.

Ok, I am still not understanding, if the game is not encoded in 720p then how can it be rendered in 720p without the coding?

I am really blessed for you guys trying to help me understand this. It just amazing how technology can get us so far and so fast. 2 years later we have somebody with an emulator that is producing 720p from a system which is encoded to be 480p. It buffling. Thank you, with all the information it have made me want to see more games played on this. (I.E. Twilight Princess, Smash Bros, and No More Heroes).

EatChildren

Chauncy Talon said:
Ok, I am still not understanding, if the game is not encoded in 720p then how can it be rendered in 720p without the coding?

I am really blessed for you guys trying to help me understand this. It just amazing how technology can get us so far and so fast. 2 years later we have somebody with an emulator that is producing 720p from a system which is encoded to be 480p. It buffling. Thank you, with all the information it have made me want to see more games played on this. (I.E. Twilight Princess, Smash Bros, and No More Heroes).

Resolution, in a nut shell, is how many ‘pixels’ are available to display any image on a screen.

3D environments are rendered with polygons, and polygons are basically just references for how objects are shaped. Don’t confuse them with art assets. Art assets, such as a texture, are made with a specific resolution in mind and that cant really change without changing the asset itself.

So, in a 3D environment, we can force a higher resolution. This allows for a crisper image to display on the screen.

Imagine playing Brawl on a Wii. When the camera zooms out you loose a lot of character detail. You can’t see the links in Link’s chainmail. You can’t see the denim pattern on Mario’s overalls. The textures have these patterns, but the camera is zoomed out and the 480p means that there is not a lot of ‘pixels’ available to display all the detail. Get close, the camera zooms in, and you can suddenly see all the details.

Now, if Brawl was rendered at 1080p, there are suddenly a lot more pixels available. When the camera zooms out just as before, we can see the detail in Link’s chainmail and Mario’s overalls just as clearly as if the camera was zoomed in.

The textures, the art assets, don’t actually change. They remain the same. They just become a lot clearer and easier to see over distance.

Have you noticed in Wii games that objects, characters, and the environment might sometimes have a ‘jaggy’ edge? Like, a jittery edge that’s not smooth? This is due to the 480p resolution. When rendered in a higher resolution, these jaggy edges are smoothed out and become crisper.

Art assets always remain whatever resolution they were made at. If a texture on the ground was made at 480p, it will always display at 480p. We can, however, make that texture clearer over distances thanks to upping the resolution of the rendered image, and 3D objects can be made sharper with a higher resolution too.

Chauncy Talon said:
Edit: I am understanding now. DAMN, why didn't Nintendo do this with the system. :(
If you couldn't tell that the above Galaxy shots were being rendered in higher than 480p then why should it make a difference for you anyway?

XTERC

Mainly because these games are vector based. The emulator isn't rendering at 480p then scaling, it's rendering at the higher resolution.

darkwings

Banned
Teetris said:
Yes you can, easily. E8400 plus 4850 should be enough. If you can fit it in your budget upgrade the card to a 4890. Everything else should be easy to find, check out the PC thread.

Not sure what the emulator prefers though, ATI or Nvidia. Maybe someone else can answer that.

It prefers nvidia according to most posters at the dolphin plus ps2 emu forum.

the perfect cheap emu setup would be:

E8400 3ghz and OC that 700mhz
geforce gts250

I have that setup and I get great performance in dolphin.

EatChildren said:
Resolution, in a nut shell, is how many ‘pixels’ are available to display any image on a screen.

3D environments are rendered with polygons, and polygons are basically just references for how objects are shaped. Don’t confuse them with art assets. Art assets, such as a texture, are made with a specific resolution in mind and that cant really change without changing the asset itself.

So, in a 3D environment, we can force a higher resolution. This allows for a crisper image to display on the screen.

Imagine playing Brawl on a Wii. When the camera zooms out you loose a lot of character detail. You can’t see the links in Link’s chainmail. You can’t see the denim pattern on Mario’s overalls. The textures have these patterns, but the camera is zoomed out and the 480p means that there is not a lot of ‘pixels’ available to display all the detail. Get close, the camera zooms in, and you can suddenly see all the details.

Now, if Brawl was rendered at 1080p, there are suddenly a lot more pixels available. When the camera zooms out just as before, we can see the detail in Link’s chainmail and Mario’s overalls just as clearly as if the camera was zoomed in.

The textures, the art assets, don’t actually change. They remain the same. They just become a lot clearer and easier to see over distance.

Have you noticed in Wii games that objects, characters, and the environment might sometimes have a ‘jaggy’ edge? Like, a jittery edge that’s not smooth? This is due to the 480p resolution. When rendered in a higher resolution, these jaggy edges are smoothed out and become crisper.

Art assets always remain whatever resolution they were made at. If a texture on the ground was made at 480p, it will always display at 480p. We can, however, make that texture clearer over distances thanks to upping the resolution of the rendered image, and 3D objects can be made sharper with a higher resolution too.

Thanks that basically what I was getting at. I use to sell Tele, contrastion ration, resolution, micro sec all the good stuff. I knew all of this stuff, that is why I was like Smash Bros, in 720p would be crazy. That why I said, if a game is 8 bit NES it will not show in 64 bit. Thanks for all the clearing up.

Top Bottom