• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Wii emulator can do 720p HD

KillerAJD

Member
Dec 11, 2008
1,328
0
860
Hawkian said:
...

That's Sheik right? Is that a blurred triforce on her crotch? lol. Anyways, again, pics look amazing, just need a BT adapter.

Highlighted triforce!
 

Slavik81

Member
Jan 23, 2007
18,505
1
0
autobzooty said:
Wow, really?! So it plays perfectly? Sound and all?! :O

OMG
On a stock i7 920, the game would slow down to about half speed when looking across outset island.

As long as there aren't too many things on screen, it plays beautifully. Give it a year or two for emulator improvements and CPU advances and it will run absolutely perfectly on high-end hardware.
 
Feb 24, 2009
3,463
0
770
Dead Man Typing said:
I actually consider all that extra detail to be the most convincing proof that a Wii HD is coming and will "Dolphin" all of our existing Wii games. I wish I had a powerful PC.
Nah it's just that the teams are better than the hardware. :lol I love low-poly models with awesome texturing like that, imo they can look better than high-poly models, especially the shit that comes from UE3.

@Hawkian: What clockspeed are you running you i7 at, factory or?
 

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Jun 28, 2009
44,618
0
820
KillerAJD said:
That's Sheik right? Is that a blurred triforce on her crotch? lol. Anyways, again, pics look amazing, just need a BT adapter.

That is Sheik. I didn't notice any blurry triforces myself, but I guess I see it o.0

Glad you like the pics, these are JPG rather than PNG like the previous Brawl shots so they got a little noisy but I guess they still look pretty decent. :)

I should be doing hw said:
@Hawkian: What clockspeed are you running you i7 at, factory or?

Stock clocks, it's a 940 though ~ 2.93ghz
 

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Jun 28, 2009
44,618
0
820
There is no "real" one, as people make new versions and compile them every day, but the highest revision number (semi-official release, though it's not by the makers of the emulator) I have seen is r4434, downloadable here: http://cid-e2cc3766e8eef104.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/Dolphin/Dolphin^_4434.zip

I don't have all that many Wii games. I have Twilight Princess but sort of don't feel like bothering with it, maybe I will though. I have SMG, Brawl, No More Heroes, Super Paper Mario and Warioware... the latter two of which I can't imagine would benefit much from HD.

I think my brother in law has Rogue Rebel Strike, I'll see if I can get him to lend it.

Just a couple NMH gameplay shots before bed:



Forgot how inane some of the quests were in this. Collect coconuts? :lol

And a Mario shot that shows how it really looks for me, that JPG sort of bleched it up:


It's truly incredible to me how the game runs at this resolution (technically 960p if such a thing exists). I'll say it here: a year from now, Dolphin will be preferable to an actual Wii for playing the majority of Wii games.
 

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Jan 29, 2008
36,152
8
0
Australia
Hawkian said:
I think my brother in law has Rogue Rebel Strike, I'll see if I can get him to lend it.

From memory Rogue Leader and Rebel Strike dont work with Dolphin, for some reason.

Anyway, what plugins would you guys recommend to get Dolphin running at its best? Also, is there a newer version beyond the 'official' build?
 

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Jun 28, 2009
44,618
0
820
As I said, r4434 seems to be the latest build. The DolphinIL.exe is faster in most cases.

The OpenGL plugin is better for visual quality, but d3d seems to run better. Disabling HLE audio as expected boosts performance.
 

whitehawk

Banned
Jan 27, 2008
24,815
326
1,345
Canada
Alrighty, finally got it running, but it runs Zelda at 10-15 fps :( 20-30 in a house. And this is with no AA on, running at 720p.

At least it looks nice (I added full AA for these)









Time to get a new PC. Or at least a Wii Emu that will take advantage of my Quad Core.
 

Black Rainbow

Member
May 27, 2009
309
0
0
Mr.Green said:
Could NOT care less. Could NOT fucking care less for fuck's sake.
People always criticize this particular error but I never see anyone call people out on using the imaginary word "moreso" and it's used quite frequently by many people on this message board.
 

bridegur

Member
Sep 8, 2004
3,306
1
0
Hawkian said:
And a Mario shot that shows how it really looks for me, that JPG sort of bleched it up:


It's truly incredible to me how the game runs at this resolution (technically 960p if such a thing exists). I'll say it here: a year from now, Dolphin will be preferable to an actual Wii for playing the majority of Wii games.

I'm still amazed by these. Do you have any shots from the later levels?
 

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Jun 28, 2009
44,618
0
820
Black Rainbow said:
People always criticize this particular error but I never see anyone call people out on using the imaginary word "moreso" and it's used quite frequently by many people on this message board.

Actually I find both attempts at prescriptive grammar to be sort of ill-conceived and largely don't understand how people manage to get upset by either. "Moreso" may be a nonsensical contraction for a comparative adjective, but "could care less" actually logically violates the sentiment people are trying to convey when they say it. Still, everyone knows exactly what they mean when they use it, so no amount of correction is going to make them stop.

I'm also a hypocrite, because for all the idealistic consideration of pragmatic human language a linguistics degree has brought me, I still go completely fucking insane when people say they "literally exploded with rage" or "died of embarrassment." I gave a presentation on how we basically have no fucking idea how to define that word. :p

Anyway,
bridegur said:
I'm still amazed by these. Do you have any shots from the later levels?

:lol I just got the first star!! I am looking forward to playing through it again, but unless I get a mad ubersave downloaded or something I won't be able to post those shots for a while.
 

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Jan 29, 2008
36,152
8
0
Australia
Any idea on how to get Brawl working? It just asks me for a disk :/.
 

Majukun

Member
Jun 19, 2009
12,295
496
990
Lime said:
Holy shit, I just tried playing REmake and Muramasa with this thing at 1920x1080 with full AA and MSAA. It's an entirely different experience.

Now my TV doesn't cry anymore when I'm normally using my Wii.

please make a pic
 

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Jan 29, 2008
36,152
8
0
Australia
I cant really post anything since my computer hates Dolphin, but here is a shot from the starting area of Muramasa. The first is obvious quite higher in resolution. The second shot is for comparison. It was taken at the Wii's native resolution and then upscaled to the same resolution as the first shot using Photoshop.

HD: http://i36.tinypic.com/9rlmvt.png
SD Upscaled: http://i36.tinypic.com/256fvd2.png

Obviously not a perfect example, but it does show how much clarity can be gained with higher resolutions on something as basic as a sprite based game.

I really would love to compile a set of images from various games to show the differences in upscaling and rendering. Sadly my computer seems like it just lacks the juice for Dolphin (despite running Crysis very well).
 
Feb 24, 2009
3,463
0
770
Dolphin is heavily CPU based, a graphics card doesnt really mean dick to it performace-wise. I've been reading that 3.5-4Ghz is needed to get good performance. What are you running on?
Thanks by the way, I wish you could keep them coming.
 

Durante

Member
Oct 1, 2006
48,836
1
0
peter.metaclassofnil.com
I should be doing hw said:
Dolphin is heavily CPU based, a graphics card doesnt really mean dick to it performace-wise. I've been reading that 3.5-4Ghz is needed to get good performance. What are you running on?
I think that's true for many games. Personally I'm running a Core i7 at 3.62GHz and most games (of the few I own) that I try are very smooth. Better graphics card performance basically just means higher res -- but if you want to play at settings similar to those many of these screenshots were taken at you need quite a good GPU.
 

wii_HD

Neo Member
Feb 9, 2008
99
1
0
I sure hope NCL take a cue from this thread and the Dolphin emu abiliity of resolution resizing rather than release a HD machine that just upscales a 480i/480p legacy image.

Unfortunatly I fear the latter option will be the route taken.
 

Minsc

Member
Oct 1, 2007
13,901
0
1,200
Eastern Shores
wii_HD said:
I sure hope NCL take a cue from this thread and the Dolphin emu abiliity of resolution resizing rather than release a HD machine that just upscales a 480i/480p legacy image.

Unfortunatly I fear the latter option will be the route taken.

Has any company ever let BC render at higher resolutions instead of just upscaling? I think it's asking for trouble, they'd have to officially support it, and there's bound to be tons of glitches.
 

jett

D-Member
Jun 6, 2004
98,875
10
1,765
Minsc said:
Has any company ever let BC render at higher resolutions instead of just upscaling? I think it's asking for trouble, they'd have to officially support it, and there's bound to be tons of glitches.

Yeah that's a pipedream some people have about "WiiHD". These games are designed to run at their specified resolutions. Emulators constantly get updated with game-specific bugfixes and hacks, even then they're miles away from having perfect compatibility. Just upscaling PS1 games on the PS3 can introduce issues. :p
 

zweifuss

Member
Apr 22, 2009
426
24
865
Here's some pics of 2D games. I'm not sure how these images are coded into the games, could be they are just designed for a 720x480 screen, so they may be upscaled instead of actually rendered at HD. But I'm not an expert when it comes to these things, just judge for yourself I guess.

 

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Jan 29, 2008
36,152
8
0
Australia
Minsc said:
Has any company ever let BC render at higher resolutions instead of just upscaling? I think it's asking for trouble, they'd have to officially support it, and there's bound to be tons of glitches.

The Wii renders N64 VC titles at a higher resolution.
 

Ceebs

Member
Aug 11, 2006
8,515
0
0
EatChildren said:
I really would love to compile a set of images from various games to show the differences in upscaling and rendering. Sadly my computer seems like it just lacks the juice for Dolphin (despite running Crysis very well).
Something like this?



 

jett

D-Member
Jun 6, 2004
98,875
10
1,765
EatChildren said:
The Wii renders N64 VC titles at a higher resolution.

There's a difference between BC games that are released after Nintendo is done testing that they work accurately and just popping in whatever game you own. :p
 

brain_stew

Member
Feb 20, 2007
19,261
1
1,215
wii_HD said:
I sure hope NCL take a cue from this thread and the Dolphin emu abiliity of resolution resizing rather than release a HD machine that just upscales a 480i/480p legacy image.

Unfortunatly I fear the latter option will be the route taken.

Its not as if they don't have form in this area, their N64 emulator already renders titles @ 4x their original resolution and at a higher colour depth.
 
jett said:
There's a difference between BC games that are released after Nintendo is done testing that they work accurately and just popping in whatever game you own. :p

I wonder if there is a way to go similar to the 360 route, where certain games would be compatible via patches or updates to render in full resolution and then if they are not they are simply upscaled

And about those MH3 pics, I thought there was a way to turn off the blur effect in Dolphin. Would not mind seeing those pics in 1080p without blur though I suspect they might not look as good
 

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Jun 28, 2009
44,618
0
820
EatChildren said:
I cant really post anything since my computer hates Dolphin, but here is a shot from the starting area of Muramasa. The first is obvious quite higher in resolution. The second shot is for comparison. It was taken at the Wii's native resolution and then upscaled to the same resolution as the first shot using Photoshop.

HD: http://i36.tinypic.com/9rlmvt.png
SD Upscaled: http://i36.tinypic.com/256fvd2.png

Obviously not a perfect example, but it does show how much clarity can be gained with higher resolutions on something as basic as a sprite based game.

I really would love to compile a set of images from various games to show the differences in upscaling and rendering. Sadly my computer seems like it just lacks the juice for Dolphin (despite running Crysis very well).

Quite pretty indeed
 

Azure Dream

Member
Oct 30, 2004
18,051
0
0
40
Minsc said:
Has any company ever let BC render at higher resolutions instead of just upscaling? I think it's asking for trouble, they'd have to officially support it, and there's bound to be tons of glitches.

The 360 and Wii VC releases of N64 games were mentioned above, I also thought the original PS3 BC would render the games at actual higher resolutions, instead of just scaling the outputted image.
 

whitehawk

Banned
Jan 27, 2008
24,815
326
1,345
Canada
Alright, here's the specs for my PC: http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/hp-pavilion-media-center/4507-3118_7-32909857.html?tag=mncol;psum

Type
AMD Phenom X4 9500 / 2.2 GHz

Multi-Core processor technology
Quad-Core

64-bit processor
Yes

Mainboard
Chipset type
NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE / nForce 430

Data bus speed
1000.0 MHz

RAM
Installed Size
3.0 GB / 8.0 GB (max)

Technology
DDR2 SDRAM

Memory speed
800.0 MHz

Am I only getting 10-15 frames per second because the Emu can't take advantage of my quad core?
 

MotherFan

Member
Dec 13, 2008
1,495
0
0
jett said:
An integrated video solution is also _really_ not going to cut it, either.


Its not integrated if you look at the link, but it is still a crappy card. 8500gt with only 256 mb ram is not going to cut it, especially at anything beyond standard resolutions. Even if the emulator took advantage of quad cores (which I do not think will happen anytime soon with this or the ps2 one) you would still be having issues.

Is there anyway to make ISOs from your games without having any mods/homebrew on wii or having one of the special DVD drives?
 

Mithos

Member
Apr 26, 2006
6,117
457
1,370
Sweden
Haunted said:
Nintendo will receive a lot less flak on here once they go HD.

You really think that?

I think unless Nintendo go HD PS360-style, there will still be major complaints here for Nintendo. I mean not even I who have been with Nintendo since NES want the WiiHD to anything less the a PS360 showcase. If Nintendo goes Dolphin EMU quality "HD" then I will be a sad Panda.
 

whitehawk

Banned
Jan 27, 2008
24,815
326
1,345
Canada
MotherFan said:
Its not integrated if you look at the link, but it is still a crappy card. 8500gt with only 256 mb ram is not going to cut it, especially at anything beyond standard resolutions. Even if the emulator took advantage of quad cores (which I do not think will happen anytime soon with this or the ps2 one) you would still be having issues.

Is there anyway to make ISOs from your games without having any mods/homebrew on wii or having one of the special DVD drives?
Ya, it's a year and a half old PC that my dad just bought from Staples or something. Works perfectly for HD videos and some games, but it can't even run crysis at a playable framerate wit ALL the settings on low, and the lowest resolution. At max settings, its about 0.5 FPS :lol

I'm gonna build my own PC before the year is over though. I'll be asking you guys for some advice then.
 

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Jun 28, 2009
44,618
0
820
Mithos said:
You really think that?

I think unless Nintendo go HD PS360-style, there will still be major complaints here for Nintendo. I mean not even I who have been with Nintendo since NES want the WiiHD to anything less the a PS360 showcase. If Nintendo goes Dolphin EMU quality "HD" then I will be a sad Panda.

Wait... what?