• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Wii emulator can do 720p HD

Davey Cakes

Member
Dec 5, 2008
14,628
673
1,180
Quincy, Massachusetts
Some TVs are better for Wii than others.

I have a CRT and Wii games generally look pretty good on it. With NSMB the biggest issue is the characters, which are a bit jaggy, but everything else looks great. Even games like Mario Galaxy look a lot better on my TV than certain LCD models, especially those which foolishly don't use component cables.
 

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Jan 5, 2008
23,623
2
0
.:Wesker:. said:
I never ran into that on earlier builds.
I suspect it has something to do with the fact that the emulator is able to emulate more effects now but that it can't render them higher than the native resolution or something, the heatwav effect in Mario Sunshine looks equally low-res, but at least it's not as random.
 

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Jun 14, 2004
5,268
6
1,575
Bluemercury said:
Are there metroid prime pics on this?
I'd like to see some of MP3 and Zelda:TP if someone can take them. Here's a re-post of pictures people have taken earlier. I'd really like to play these games looking like this, but I'm not too big on emulators unless it's played through a console. Hopefully all the systems next time around will incorporate something like this. In the meantime, here's those pictures reposted for their awesomeness.









 
Dec 25, 2004
4,367
1
0
I used to believe that resolution didn't matter that much in terms of graphical presentation of a game. This thread has proven me wrong. It's obviously not the only thing as many of the games in this thread have excellent art direction and make use of the Cube/Wii hardware well, but man, it gives a significant boost to overall quality.
 

Cow Mengde

Banned
Dec 26, 2007
20,219
1
0
Anyone here with Rune Factory Frontier can give us some screens on what this sucker looks like? I'd love to see it in 720p with lots of anti-aliasing. I played the game a bit at a friend's house, and it was gorgeous.
 

Bebpo

Banned
Jun 7, 2004
30,395
7
0
39
Orange County, CA
God that looks too good. So how do I get my Wiimote working on my PC again? I'm starting to feel like playing upcoming Wii games on this emu instead of the Wii.
 

scitek

Member
Aug 23, 2005
17,119
13
1,400
El Paso, TX
twitch.tv


Holy FUCK.

I knew Viewtiful Joe isn't 2D, but for some reason I'm surprised it comes out looking so good at 720p. How about No More Heroes? Does the extra resolution make it look comparable to those shots from the new HD version coming out?
 

.:Wesker:.

Member
Oct 28, 2006
1,026
0
980
Miami, FL
scitek said:
Holy FUCK.

I knew Viewtiful Joe isn't 2D, but for some reason I'm surprised it comes out looking so good at 720p. How about No More Heroes? Does the extra resolution make it look comparable to those shots from the new HD version coming out?
Actually, NMH has this shitty filter over it that forces the blurriness of 480p resolution. Upping the resolution and anti-aliasing does nothing.

Bebpo said:
God that looks too good. So how do I get my Wiimote working on my PC again? I'm starting to feel like playing upcoming Wii games on this emu instead of the Wii.

All you need is a bluetooth dongle, like the one I've been using for a few months now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833242001&cm_re=cirago-_-33-242-001-_-Product
 

whitehawk

Banned
Jan 27, 2008
24,815
326
1,345
Canada

ivysaur12

Banned
Dec 28, 2005
39,512
0
1,455
Viewtiful Joe looks a lot better than I would have expected. And I thought that was the PS360 version of Unleashed for a second.
 

goomba

Banned
Jul 16, 2004
7,867
0
0
New Zealand
scitek said:
How come RE4 looks so good in that shot? The textures in that game look like ass and rendering in a higher resolution can only make that more apparent.

Which version did you play?. The textures in the GC/Wii version are much nicer than the PC and PS2 versions.
 

MNC

Member
Mar 4, 2008
14,141
0
0
whitehawk said:
People are so picky

Takes up a USB port? how do you want to connect it? And too big? LOOK AT IT



I think I'll have to get one of these.
How do you get those out of the port :lol :lol
 

brain_stew

Member
Feb 20, 2007
19,261
1
1,215
whitehawk said:
People are so picky

Takes up a USB port? how do you want to connect it? And too big? LOOK AT IT



I think I'll have to get one of these.

$15 + shipping? $2 w/ free shipping is a much better deal:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11866


ConradCervantes said:
Could my laptop run games well?

Intel Core 2 Duo T5550 @ 1.86 GHz
4.00 GB RAM
Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family

And if so, if my laptop had Bluetooth built in, would I need to still buy a dongle?

No, don't even bother trying.
 

Luigiv

Member
Jun 8, 2009
9,918
0
700
Perth, Australia
AndoCalrissian said:
I used to believe that resolution didn't matter that much in terms of graphical presentation of a game. This thread has proven me wrong. It's obviously not the only thing as many of the games in this thread have excellent art direction and make use of the Cube/Wii hardware well, but man, it gives a significant boost to overall quality.
Yep, resolution makes a huge difference. I still remember when I first came to this realisation. My friend and I were playing around with Black and White 2 on PC but being the n00bs we were at the time we started with the default settings. After about 15 minutes or so we decided to tweak the graphics and when we turned the resolution up it was like a slap to the face.
 

Nessus

Member
Dec 8, 2008
2,048
2
865
sfried said:
If your reception shimmers, then perhaps you aren't using progressive scan and component/VGA cables, which is why it looks like that.

Signals are everything in an HDTV. Too bad many people are too lazy to get the cables.
Dunno about that.

And don't make the mistake I made; I had my 47" HDTV hooked up to my Wii with component in widescreen and already that was a noticeable improvement over composite on the same set, so I thought that was all the improvement I was going to get.

What I didn't realize was there's also a setting inside the Wii hardware menu to switch over to 480p as apposed to the default 480i (stupidly I thought the Wii somehow automatically made the switch).

The difference between that and keeping it at the default 480i setting is as big as the difference between simply switching from composite to component.
 

Nessus

Member
Dec 8, 2008
2,048
2
865
As much as I'd love to believe otherwise, I am very pessimistic that any "Wii HD" or "Wii 2" or whatever would actually upscale existing Wii games.

If the PS3 can't/won't upscale PSX games by default (unless I've missed some important setting on my PS3) and it requires specific attention like God Of War Collection, then there's no way Nintendo is going to do it with slightly more powerful Wii hardware.

Games going forward on the hypothetical Wii HD would of course be in higher resolutions, but again, I don't see them going back and recreating what we're enjoying in this thread, unfortunately.
 

goomba

Banned
Jul 16, 2004
7,867
0
0
New Zealand
ConradCervantes said:
Guess not. Oh well. It was a long shot, but it won't kill me to play them in disgusting 480p.

You should just try it and let us know. From all i have heard is that integrated video cards are just a no go though.
 

brain_stew

Member
Feb 20, 2007
19,261
1
1,215
goomba said:
You should just try it and let us know. From all i have heard is that integrated video cards are just a no go though.

His processor is no where near adequate either, its really not worth the bother.
 

randomwab

Member
Mar 2, 2007
3,827
0
0
32
Northern Ireland
I'm guessing my PC could run this?

AMD Athlon II X2 Dual Core 245 2.90GHz
ATI Radeon HD 4850 1GB
4GB RAM
Windows 7 32bit

And one more question, can you run these games from disc or do they need to be ripped to the PC?
 

brain_stew

Member
Feb 20, 2007
19,261
1
1,215
randomwab said:
I'm guessing my PC could run this?

AMD Athlon II X2 Dual Core 245 2.90GHz
ATI Radeon HD 4850 1GB
4GB RAM
Windows 7 32bit

And one more question, can you run these games from disc or do they need to be ripped to the PC?

OCing your processor would help.
 

confused

Banned
May 12, 2009
3,656
0
0
So what's the min. spec to run this thing ?

I have :

AMD Athlon 64X2 3.0 Ghz stock
4 GB RAM @ 800Mhz
Nvidia 8200GTX 512Mb

any chance of running this decently ? Vidcard will get an upgrade next month, probably a 260GTX
 

JADS

Member
Jan 20, 2007
1,234
0
0
Cow Mengde said:
Anyone here with Rune Factory Frontier can give us some screens on what this sucker looks like? I'd love to see it in 720p with lots of anti-aliasing. I played the game a bit at a friend's house, and it was gorgeous.











Sadly, taking screenshots of the town doesn't look that great. Seems that the emulator drops back to 480P whenever you exit a building.
 

.:Wesker:.

Member
Oct 28, 2006
1,026
0
980
Miami, FL
randomwab said:
I'm guessing my PC could run this?

AMD Athlon II X2 Dual Core 245 2.90GHz
ATI Radeon HD 4850 1GB
4GB RAM
Windows 7 32bit

And one more question, can you run these games from disc or do they need to be ripped to the PC?

You'd be better off with Windows 7 64bit, not only will it make Dolphin run a good 15-25% faster, but you can use all 4GB's of RAM.

confused said:
So what's the min. spec to run this thing ?

I have :

AMD Athlon 64X2 3.0 Ghz stock
4 GB RAM @ 800Mhz
Nvidia 8200GTX 512Mb

any chance of running this decently ? Vidcard will get an upgrade next month, probably a 260GTX
1. Processor looks.... okay.
2. 64bit or 32bit OS?
3. What the hell is an 8200GTX?
 

Pepto

Banned
Jan 7, 2009
2,532
0
0
00900
confused said:
So what's the min. spec to run this thing ?
I would say that if you want full speed at 720p you would need at least a 4 GHz processor (my e8400 at 4 GHz doesn't run any game that I have tried at full speed).
 

.:Wesker:.

Member
Oct 28, 2006
1,026
0
980
Miami, FL
Pepto said:
I would say that if you want full speed at 720p you would need at least a 4 GHz processor (my e8400 at 4 GHz doesn't run any game that I have tried at full speed).
I run most games just fine with an i7 at 2.6GHz. And games run the same whether they're 480p or 720p with massive amounts of AA.
 

brain_stew

Member
Feb 20, 2007
19,261
1
1,215
Metalmurphy said:
Ok guys, just have Mario Galaxy here with me borrowed from a friend, do I just use a simple burner tool to create an iso or is there some magic that needs to be done for it to work?

Using your Wii is the easiest way to get an ISO dump.
 

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Oct 15, 2005
29,654
1
0
At first glance, I thought the Dead Space Extraction pic was a screen from the PS360 version. :lol
 

ToastyBanana

Member
Sep 2, 2007
995
0
0
MadOdorMachine said:
I'd like to see some of MP3 and Zelda:TP if someone can take them. Here's a re-post of pictures people have taken earlier. I'd really like to play these games looking like this, but I'm not too big on emulators unless it's played through a console. Hopefully all the systems next time around will incorporate something like this. In the meantime, here's those pictures reposted for their awesomeness.

Here ya go. If only they all ran at a constant frame rate with no weird issues...




 

Psy-Phi

Member
Jan 12, 2008
1,425
5
1,130
East Bay, CA
Rash said:
Some TVs are better for Wii than others.

I have a CRT and Wii games generally look pretty good on it. With NSMB the biggest issue is the characters, which are a bit jaggy, but everything else looks great. Even games like Mario Galaxy look a lot better on my TV than certain LCD models, especially those which foolishly don't use component cables.
Component cables just make it worse acutally. Let you see every aliased edge of a polygon. At least with Composite they're still kinda blurry giving you a "natural" 'i need to find my glasses' look :lol.

Seriously, it doesnt matter, if it's a flatscreen HDTV (Plasma, LCD, or LED) the Wii is going to look atrocious unless that's the only game system you ever play.

EDIT: Atrocious is too strong a word. Only particular games look bad (RE4 being the prime example). Zelda TP is one of the best looking games on the system that I have. Mario Galaxy falls somewhere in between but still looks decent enough. I'm just quite disappointed in RE4's visual appearance. Especially having played it on PC. it's the one game I desperately want to look good. it gets better when you get out of the first area because there's less organic environments. But still, jag city.
 

Bluemercury

Member
Jun 7, 2004
6,007
1
0
I tried using new super mario wii, but it gets stuck after the player selection, i choose one player and then you only see the background moving....
 

scitek

Member
Aug 23, 2005
17,119
13
1,400
El Paso, TX
twitch.tv
Being that the GameCube was a less powerful system than the Wii, do GameCube games still require the same specs to emulate, or could you get by with a less powerful PC?
 

Minsc

Member
Oct 1, 2007
13,901
0
1,200
Eastern Shores
Psy-Phi said:
Component cables just make it worse acutally. Let you see every aliased edge of a polygon. At least with Composite they're still kinda blurry giving you a "natural" 'i need to find my glasses' look :lol.

Seriously, it doesnt matter, if it's a flatscreen HDTV (Plasma, LCD, or LED) the Wii is going to look atrocious unless that's the only game system you ever play.

EDIT: Atrocious is too strong a word. Only particular games look bad (RE4 being the prime example). Zelda TP is one of the best looking games on the system that I have. Mario Galaxy falls somewhere in between but still looks decent enough. I'm just quite disappointed in RE4's visual appearance. Especially having played it on PC. it's the one game I desperately want to look good. it gets better when you get out of the first area because there's less organic environments. But still, jag city.

I prefer how it looks on the Wii over the PC. There's definitely jaggies, but they don't bother me much on my CRT HDTV, and the dithering isn't really visible on it either. All the grittiness of the faults from the Wii enhance the game's atmosphere a bit. That over-clear and clean look from the PC/emulation makes the faults (poor textures) stand out more than they do on their own.

That's aside from the fact the PC version is completely inferior to begin with, RE4 on the PC is disgusting compared to the Wii/GCN.

Wii/GCN emulation > Wii/GCN >>> PC > PS2.
 

[Nintex]

Member
Jun 21, 2005
18,889
5
1,560
32
The Netherlands
www.n1ntendo.nl
Damn this shows again that no matter what filters/AA or resolution you throw at it, Twilight Princess is still an ugly mess at times. Can someone get some shots from the sacred forest, I recall that had some good texture work.
 

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Jun 9, 2004
51,621
2,196
2,035
www.eurogamer.net
Some of those shots are absolutely outstanding!

ivysaur12 said:
Viewtiful Joe looks a lot better than I would have expected. And I thought that was the PS360 version of Unleashed for a second.
Eh, Unleashed on the Wii looks so much worse than the HD version regardless of resolution. Of course, it's not actually the same game so it's tough to compare.