• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii emulator can do 720p HD

ToastyBanana said:
Here ya go. If only they all ran at a constant frame rate with no weird issues...

[http://i47.tinypic.com/2558eva.jpg[/IMG]
[]http://i45.tinypic.com/2wpqbs7.jpg[/IMG]
Wow , there's really nothing that can make twilight princess look good :lol Those screens are ugly .
The Metroid Prime ones are waaaaay better <3

FoxSpirit

[Nintex] said:
Damn this shows again that no matter what filters/AA or resolution you throw at it, Twilight Princess is still an ugly mess at times. Can someone get some shots from the sacred forest, I recall that had some good texture work.

That doesn't matter, the picture is not crisp. Looks like someone threw a heavy blur filter into it. Hope that will get cured later.

Psy-Phi said:
Component cables just make it worse acutally. Let you see every aliased edge of a polygon. At least with Composite they're still kinda blurry giving you a "natural" 'i need to find my glasses' look :lol.

Seriously, it doesnt matter, if it's a flatscreen HDTV (Plasma, LCD, or LED) the Wii is going to look atrocious unless that's the only game system you ever play.

This is completely wrong. It really depends on the upscaller in your TV. Wii games look fine on my 32inch 720p LCD set, and yes I have a 360.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Moundir&Tony>you said:
Wow , there's really nothing that can make twilight princess look good :lol Those screens are ugly .

Nah, those TP screens are fucked up. They shouldn't be blurry at all. The game looks pretty nice and not at all blurry with proper internal resolution (I'm assuming the issue in those screens is a low internal resolution).

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Of all the games in this thread, the most striking is Smash Bros. It's almost as if they developed the game for HD.

jett

D-Member
Moundir&Tony>you said:

To be fair the TP screens are not being rendered in HD, the're clearly being upscaled from SD. :p

But yeah it's an ugly game either way.

Insane Metal said:
It doesn't mean much.

Also, never had a videogame been released with a poor hardware as the wii has (poor = not as high a technology as the 360 or PS3) before, so...

You must've been born yesterday. But I forgive you :lol The 8-bit NES was
technically inferior to the Sega Master System when brought to the States, It didn't stop Nintendo from being successful because of their brilliance in marketing and the games were fun and groundbreaking.

I'm still in shock that for the first time in.... a long time, people can make a choice between playing a game on the actual system or an emulator.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
.:Wesker:. said:
I'm still in shock that for the first time in.... a long time, people can make a choice between playing a game on the actual system or an emulator.

Easy choice for me. I don't have a reason to play it on my PC, some extra eye candy isn't going to affect my enjoyment of any of the Wii games. :)

JADS said:

Sadly, taking screenshots of the town doesn't look that great. Seems that the emulator drops back to 480P whenever you exit a building.

Ah, that explains why the outside trees and stuff look so blurry. The best graphics are actually outsde. Oh well, might as well wait for the next version of the emulator and hope they fix it.

Boss Man

All of the people who are buying Wiis are not the type to know/care about this at all. It doesn't mean anything new for the industry. This is happening because Nintendo decided not to advance the hardware on their next console. If that becomes a trend (which I suspect it might, seeing the profit they made from it), then this might mean something for the industry. It would make PC's a lot more popular, and consoles a lot less. Since PC would be so much more advanced and possibly even capable of playing (upgraded versions of) the console games.

Durante

Yeah, it's certainly novel, but it wasn't very unexpected. I predicted this happening immediately after the final Wii specs were confirmed. GC emulators were just getting usable back then, and emulating 50% higher clocked GC hardware is not such a stretch once you have that. (If clock speed advances had kept up instead of flattening out this would probably have happened even sooner, it's much harder to effectively use parallelism in emulation)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Grooveraider said:
You must've been born yesterday. But I forgive you :lol The 8-bit NES was
technically inferior to the Sega Master System when brought to the States, It didn't stop Nintendo from being successful because of their brilliance in marketing and the games were fun and groundbreaking.
Yes, but the Master System was not a step-up in the same way that the 360 and PS3 are (the 360 was released a year before the Wii even). This is the first time we've had a market leader underpowered to this degree. The market leaders have not always been the strongest hardware by any means, but the Wii belongs in the same category as hardware from LAST generation.

TheGreatDave said:
Does Dolphin have issues with Windows 7 64bit? I can't get Killer7 to even boot up, I just get a black screen.
Nope, I took all these shots on Windows 7 64bit

Dan.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

chillin.jpg

coyote.jpg

disappoint.jpg

howsoonisnow.jpg

kaede.jpg

kevin.jpg

maskde.jpg

sammy.jpg

sexualbros.jpg

sprinklercon.jpg

suzy.jpg

Sanjay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MurWPRzmzo

Got it to run perfect so far, now I just need to brush up on my platforming skills..

Dolphin-x64-r4628, E8400 @ 3.8ghz, 4GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 260 216 Core. Settings were at 1080p 4AA 16AF DX9 mode.

Ran at constant 60FPS with perfect audio too with no graphical errors. Due to recording with Fraps it recorded at 30FPS and caused audio problems which do not happen otherwise.

Would a sprite-based game like Capcom vs SNK 2 EO experience any significant improvement when played in 720p? Sorry for the dumb question. If anybody could screencap it, I would love to see it.

dmshaposv

Nope, I took all these shots on Windows 7 64bit

*Killer 7 awesome*

Killer 7 aged well thanks to cell shading.

And that NSMB Wii looks great sanjay! I'm pretty much using the same system as you.

I tried my copy of Twilight princess for GC on this emu (through the iso dump method) and man TP looks like shit at any resolution.

How do I ensure that my game is not running upscaled?

Pepto

Banned
Sanjay said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MurWPRzmzo

Got it to run perfect so far, now I just need to brush up on my platforming skills..

Dolphin-x64-r4628, E8400 @ 3.8ghz, 4GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 260 216 Core. Settings were at 1080p 4AA 16AF DX9 mode.

Ran at constant 60FPS with perfect audio too with no graphical errors. Due to recording with Fraps it recorded at 30FPS and caused audio problems which do not happen otherwise.
OMG! Got it running at rock solid 60 fps @ 1080p by switching to dx9. I managed something like 45fps with OpenGL at sub 720p resolutions.

Moundir&Tony>you said:
I really NEED to know how I can play killer 7 on my pc .
I don't have the emu and I have both PAL and US discs right now . Someone tell me please .

Apparently you need an homebrew enabled Wii to dump the discs into a ISO.

Metalmurphy said:
Apparently you need an homebrew enabled Wii to dump the discs into a ISO.
or a modded gamecube.

there is also a very rare dvd drive that you can hack the firmware on to get it to read discs natively on the PC, but i forget the specifics there.

i have a modded gamecube on my desk for gamecube ripping. pulling games over the wireless network on the modded wii takes longer, but that's how i get my wii games over.

i'm just amazed i still get use out of my gamecube after all these years :)

can't get sick of killer 7 HD shots.

Moundir&Tony>you said:
I happen to has one .

So much trouble , why can't I play the game directly from the discs :(
cause nintendo realised that if the discs wouldn't play in a PC that there'd be a lot less issues with piracy.

plagiarize said:
cause nintendo realised that if the discs wouldn't play in a PC that there'd be a lot less issues with piracy.
Correct me if I'm wrong , but I do not really think that Nintendo has anything to do with a Wii emulator that allows people to play wii games on their pc ...

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Shin Johnpv said:
This is completely wrong. It really depends on the upscaller in your TV. Wii games look fine on my 32inch 720p LCD set, and yes I have a 360.
Same. Also going to add that yes the 360 is displaying at 720p.

Easy_D said:
Same. Also going to add that yes the 360 is displaying at 720p.

"Fine" is a purely subjective term. As far as I'm concerned, in a 1080p world, any console where the vast, vast majority of titles output at 480p (or below that as often is the case) in 16 bit colour with zero AA or AF, has simply abhorrent image quality. Such standards seemed impossibly high back in the early 90s, but they are genuinely archaic compared to the standards that your average PC gamer has come to appreciate in 2009. Even on a 14" CRT I can notice notice the poor IQ, nevermind on a 40"+ flat panel display.

One man's "fine" is another man's stomach churningly ugly.

I'm not complaining about the base assets here, just the image quality used to display them, which is simply incapable of properly showing them off without losing a lot of fine detail and being submerged in distracting artefacts.

scitek

brain_stew said:
"Fine" is a purely subjective term. As far as I'm concerned, in a 1080p world, any console where the vast, vast majority of titles output at 480p (or below that as often is the case) in 16 bit colour with zero AA or AF, has simply abhorrent image quality. Such standards seemed impossibly high back in the early 90s, but they are genuinely archaic compared to the standards that your average PC gamer has come to appreciate in 2009. Even on a 14" CRT I can notice notice the poor IQ, nevermind on a 40"+ flat panel display.

I'm not complaining about the base assets here, just the image quality used to display them, which is simply incapable of properly showing them off without losing a lot of fine detail and being submerged in distracting artefacts.

You're certainly that "one man" you speak of. I don't know anyone that cares that much about playing games in 480p. The vast majority of people on this forum, which is a pretty niche group, still plays in 720p for the vast majority of the time, so thankfully we're not quite in your 1080p world yet.

Luigiv

brain_stew said:
"Fine" is a purely subjective term. As far as I'm concerned, in a 1080p world, any console where the vast, vast majority of titles output at 480p (or below that as often is the case) in 24 bit colour with most likely zero AA or AF, has simply abhorrent image quality. Such standards seemed impossibly high back in the early 90s, but they are genuinely archaic compared to the standards that your average PC gamer has come to appreciate in 2009. Even on a 14" CRT I can notice notice the poor IQ, nevermind on a 40"+ flat panel display.

Fixed. Though personally I'm in the "480p + good scaler = fine" camp.

scitek said:
You're certainly that "one man" you speak of. I don't know anyone that cares that much about playing games in 480p. The vast majority of people on this forum, which is a pretty niche group of people, still plays in 720p for the vast majority of the time, so thankfully we're not quite in your 1080p world yet.

If you think I'm the only person with issues with the Wii's image quality, the you haven't read many posts on this forum (or this very thread, in fact).

I own plenty of Wii titles, doesn't change the fact that the IQ is nothing above "barely adequate" for a machine on sale in 2009.

Luigiv said:
Fixed. Though personally I'm in the "480p + good scaler = fine" camp.

My comment stated that the majority of the Wii's output is in 16 bit colour with zero AA/AF. This is correct, no "fixing" needed. Sure there are some 24 bit colour titles (apparently there's one game that even manages 2xmsaa), but they're absolutely a minority.

Luigiv

brain_stew said:
My comment stated that the majority of the Wii's output is in 16 bit colour with zero AA/AF. This is correct, no "fixing" needed. Sure there are some 24 bit colour titles (apparently there's one game that even manages 2xmsaa), but they're absolutely a minority.
Fair enough. It's 1am I'm tired from 2 early starts in a row and my ability to read whole sentences at a time is highly diminished :lol. Should probably hit the hay.

Luigiv said:
Fair enough. It's 1am I'm tired from 2 early starts in a row and my ability to read whole sentences at a time is highly diminished :lol. Should probably hit the hay.

Cool, made similar mistakes in the same predicament myself many times, it hapens. Sorry if I came off as harsh, its just the way I write.

Durante

brain_stew said:
It's actually SSAA, unless we're talking about a different game?

(I obviously agree with your points regarding image quality, right now I'm a bit annoyed at the fact that I can't play Mirror's Edge with more than 2xAA at 1080p when I enable PhysX :lol )

scitek

brain_stew said:
If you think I'm the only person with issues with the Wii's image quality, the you haven't read many posts on this forum (or this very thread, in fact).

I own plenty of Wii titles, doesn't change the fact that the IQ is nothing above "barely adequate" for a machine on sale in 2009.

No, but I think most people wouldn't consider it to be "stomach churningly ugly," and calling it a "1080p world" also throws you into a very small group of people as most of us either play console games--which are, of course, mostly running at 720p--or don't have PCs capable of running games at 1080p with max settings. I'm not saying I wouldn't like to have one, or demeaning your thinking in any way, mind you, just saying you're probably more spoiled than most.

Sanjay

Pepto said:
OMG! Got it running at rock solid 60 fps @ 1080p by switching to dx9. I managed something like 45fps with OpenGL at sub 720p resolutions.

My settings that I have selected to be switched on, Fullscreen, V-Sync and EFB Copy To Texture and thats pretty much it in DX9 Mode.

DryvBy

brain_stew said:
If you think I'm the only person with issues with the Wii's resolution, the you haven't read many posts on this forum (or this very thread, in fact).

Agreed. and fixed!

brain_stew said:

How come you never troll the image quality of the PSP/DS/Iphone? Three devices on sale in 2009 that output at a significantly lower resolution than the Wii. Plus the fact that you're viewing them at a closer distance makes their poor IQ stand out more than something that you're viewing from several feet away. Do you also think that stores should stop selling SDTV's even though there's clearly still a market for them?

Quixzlizx

nincompoop said:
How come you never troll the image quality of the PSP/DS/Iphone? Three devices on sale in 2009 that output at a significantly lower resolution than the Wii. Plus the fact that you're viewing them at a closer distance makes their poor IQ stand out more than something that you're viewing from several feet away. Do you also think that stores should stop selling SDTV's even though there's clearly still a market for them?

I think the bigger problem is lugging around that 50" PSP screen. I have to wear mid-90s grunge jeans to fit one of those in my pockets.

Firestorm

nincompoop said:
Last I checked, the PSP, DS, and iPhone all display at the native resolution of their display. Most people who have a problem with the Wii find it ugly as sin because it doesn't output at the native resolution of their display. I can see how you might forget that while rushing to Nintendo's defense.

Quixzlizx said:
I think the bigger problem is lugging around that 50" PSP screen. I have to wear mid-90s grunge jeans to fit one of those in my pockets.
You realize that PSP games can be played on your television, right? Not to mention that the image quality on the PSP's screen is just as bad as viewing 480p content on an HDTV.
Firestorm said:
Last I checked, the PSP, DS, and iPhone all display at the native resolution of their display. Most people who have a problem with the Wii find it ugly as sin because it doesn't output at the native resolution of their display. I can see how you might forget that while rushing to Nintendo's defense.
I believe BrainStew's argument has always been that 480p content is unbearable on any device, not just on high resolution displays.

nincompoop said:
How come you never troll the image quality of the PSP/DS/Iphone? Three devices on sale in 2009 that output at a significantly lower resolution than the Wii. ?

Do I really have to answer that.................

Fwiw, I've spoken about my dislike of the NDSes 3D output plenty of times, the likely standard 5xcsaa + 8af that Tegra will bring to Nintendo's next handheld is the reason I'm most excited for it.

Also, "trolling"? Really now, lets not make ourselves look silly.

Top Bottom