• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii emulator can do 720p HD

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
DarkUSS said:
Stallion Free, what graphics plugin do you use for Silent Hill? I've tried OpenGL and the shadows are glitching all over the place. DX9 makes things even worse.

I must be doing something wrong. :(

Don't worry, you aren't. I used the DX9 plugin as well and the shadows are glitchy in a lot of areas, especially the farther away they are, but I took screens of areas where shadows weren't breaking like crazy because I don't think anyone cares to see that.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
JADS said:
Do yourself a favour and play Zack and Wiki on it ;)

I want to play that so bad. I played the first hour or so of it over a friends house and loved it.

My list of playable games goes as follows atm:
-The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (in-progress)
-The Legend of Zelda: The Twilight Princess (Wii)
-Resident Evil 4 (Wii)
-Madworld
-Super Paper Mario
-New Super Mario Bros.
-No More Heroes 2 (if I can figure out the cutscene sound delay)
-Endless Ocean

JADS

Stallion Free said:
I want to play that so bad. I played the first hour or so of it over a friends house and loved it.

My list of playable games goes as follows atm:
-The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (in-progress)
-The Legend of Zelda: The Twilight Princess (Wii)
-Resident Evil 4 (Wii)
-Madworld
-Super Paper Mario
-New Super Mario Bros.
-No More Heroes 2 (if I can figure out the cutscene sound delay)
-Endless Ocean

Playing EO1 was pretty nice in Dolphin ;)

besiktas1

Is it possible to buy Wii games, put it in my pc's dvdrom and will Dolphin see it?
Also is it possible to play NSMB:Wii with a 360 controller? How much waggle is involved?

suikodan

I tried (again) Twilight Princess and graphically, it's all good (for now at least) but there isn't any music at all. I know it wasn't emulated before but did it change with version 2.0?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Wind Waker is progressing nicely, only frustration was the heat waves not rendering properly on Dragon Roost Island. I wish they had been eliminated with the depth of field. I can't remember if there are any similar effects to that, hopefully not though. I burned out on the game one the Cube during the lame search segment, but the graphics should help me to get through that.

Zelda%20WW%2002.jpg

Zelda%20WW%2003.jpg

Zelda%20WW%2004.jpg

Zelda%20WW%2005.jpg

Nabs

oh fuck @ the last shot.
besiktas1 said:
Is it possible to buy Wii games, put it in my pc's dvdrom and will Dolphin see it?
Also is it possible to play NSMB:Wii with a 360 controller? How much waggle is involved?

there are very few drives that can read wii games (i think). you need a wii w/ the homebrew channel installed and a way to store your games.

nsmbw plays perfectly with a controller. set the triggers to control the platforms that need tilt, and one of the bumpers to handle "shake".

Stallion Free -

I don't know if you answered, but what kind of hardware are you running this on? how is the frame rate?

I only dabbled in both Wii/GCN/PS2 emulation and it never seems that sharp or smooth when playing. I have a more than modest PC and I'm wondering if it is just a specific revision or something like that.

besiktas1

Nabs said:
oh fuck @ the last shot.

there are very few drives that can read wii games (i think). you need a wii w/ the homebrew channel installed and a way to store your games.

nsmbw plays perfectly with a controller. set the triggers to control the platforms that need tilt, and one of the bumpers to handle "shake".

Can you use right analogue as moving pointer?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Linkzg said:
Stallion Free -

I don't know if you answered, but what kind of hardware are you running this on? how is the frame rate?

I only dabbled in both Wii/GCN/PS2 emulation and it never seems that sharp or smooth when playing. I have a more than modest PC and I'm wondering if it is just a specific revision or something like that.

I have a Q9400 quadcore processor clocked at 3.6 ghz, 4 gb ram, and an ATI 5850. Wind Waker runs at an almost perfect 30 fps. Every now and then I will hit a scene that drops to 20 but that was like right on top of a bed of lava for 10 seconds. The games I listed a couple posts up run at a perfect 30 or 60 fps (to run at 100% speed) and have few to no graphical inconsistencies.

I have been a lot of PMs about how to work this magic, so here are the links I used to get started:

This link will get you the latest builds: http://dolphin-emulator.com/download.html

This link will explain the settings that tend to work best (that I use): http://forums.dolphin-emu.com/thread-3533-page-1.html

This thread has a list of games and people trying to figure out how to get the best performance: http://forums.dolphin-emu.com/thread-6003.html

Stallion Free said:
I have a Q9400 quadcore processor clocked at 3.6 ghz, 4 gb ram, and an ATI 5850. Wind Waker runs at an almost perfect 30 fps. Every now and then I will hit a scene that drops to 20 but that was like right on top of a bed of lava for 10 seconds. The games I listed a couple posts up run at a perfect 30 or 60 fps (to run at 100% speed) and have few to no graphical inconsistencies.

I have been a lot of PMs about how to work this magic, so here are the links I used to get started:

This link will get you the latest builds: http://dolphin-emulator.com/download.html

This link will explain the settings that tend to work best (that I use): http://forums.dolphin-emu.com/thread-3533-page-1.html

This thread has a list of games and people trying to figure out how to get the best performance: http://forums.dolphin-emu.com/thread-6003.html

thanks

JADS

Stallion Free said:
That looks great, does it run at the frame limit (I'm just going to assume this is the limit) of 30 fps for 100% speed? I'll probably go look for a cheap copy if so.
It does run fullspeed at 30 fps on my i7 860. This is on 1080p and 4xSSAA, your computer should be able to run the game. The game is unplayable without a wii mote though.

Pretty much if you tell the emulator to use a classic controller scheme, then it's simple. It gets a little tricky when you try and emulate the Wiimote with one with games that need waggle, like NSMB Wii for example. That game is mostly playable with a 360 controller if you map it right though.

Vinlaen

It looks like a change was just committed this morning to enable framerate limiting by FPS instead of VPS. This should fix the games that do not synchronize FPS/VPS properly.

I'm not 100% sure what this means, but I'm thinking it might fix my Super Mario Galaxy problem where it displays 30 FPS and 60 VPS and the game appears to be running at half speed.

Prez

What does this emulator do other than upscale and add AA? Is it likely that Gamecube and Wii games will look like this on the Wii's successor?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Stabbie said:
What does this emulator do other than upscale and add AA? Is it likely that Gamecube and Wii games will look like this on the Wii's successor?

It doesnt upscale, it renders the game in higher resolutions. Assets remain the same resolutions they are on the disks as there's no way around that, but the IQ and polygons are all rendered in whatever resolution set.

If, hypothetically, the Wii's successor was to render old games in higher resolutions then yes they would look like this.

JimboJones

Stabbie said:
Is it likely that Gamecube and Wii games will look like this on the Wii's successor?

I think it's unlikely, Nintendo has always used the original or similer hardware to offer backward compatibility.

GBA had a GBC chip in it
One of the DS processors is similar to GBA's
Wii is uses a similar chip to the Gamecube.

Basically it allows 100% backwards compatibility but offers no perks that emulators can offer.

Who knows though maybe they will go with emulation next time.

Also Zack and Wiki shots are awesome, need to get back into that game.

GHG

Gold Member
darkwings said:
yes wiimote and 360 controller works

Good good.

How would you go about setting up the Wiimote on a PC monitor? Is it the same proceedure as doing so on a TV or does it become more complex?

Dynamic3

Can anyone recommend me a good (compatible) wireless sensor bar, perhaps an official one?

Also, is Motion + recognized by Dolphin?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Metal Gear Solid. Widescreen is broken like it is for most Gamecube games, but it runs at an almost perfect 60 fps in 4:3 for gameplay and cutscenes mostly stay around the 30 fps area. Sound is kinda glitchy at times though.

Metal%20Gear%20Solid%2001.jpg

Stallion Free said:
That's exactly what I ordered and it's suppose to arrive on Saturday so I'll let you know how it works.

I just bought a cheapo wireless sensor bar off of ebay and it works perfectly. The sensor bar itself is just a infrared light that the wiimote uses as a reference point. Not a whole lot to go wrong.

54-46!

He's probably using the same one I've been using, r4830 with blend patch. Pressing / (on the numpad) will disable bloom.

Red

Crunched said:
Metroid Prime: Echoes playability has been degrading for me over the past few revisions, and simply crashes Dolphin when I try plaing it on the newest release. Anyone else having that problem? Everything else seems to be working as usual.
Anyone? :(

54-46!

54-46! said:
He's probably using the same one I've been using, r4830 with blend patch. Pressing / (on the numpad) will disable bloom.
bgr0g5.jpg

There you have it, bugs me that you'll have to enable bloom every time you enter/exit the village though, otherwise your character will get a black texture.

Nabs

The latest Rev. works pretty well so far (dolphin-emulator.com). I like the new fps frame limiting.

I can play Mario Sunshine @ 30fps smoothly with no drops (2.5xSSAA \ 16AF @ 1280x720) I'm on an i7 setup (Hyperthreading disabled)

Settings:

Graphics: DX9. Safe Text. Cache/CPU>EFB (not sure if important). Enable EFB Copy to Ram. Enable XFB (not sure if important). V-Sync Off
Audio: Disable Throttling.
General: Frame Limiting: 30 (FPS). Locked threads to cores.

I just tested Galaxy with similar settings (Differences: Framelimiting: 60 (FPS), Enable EFB Copy to Texture) and it works at 60fps 95% of the time for me. I played through 3 bosses (one big one) and there were no drops or major issues.

I just wish the music would stop cutting out, and that Mario could see once again.

Meeru

Banned
Reallink said:
Yes, and what settings remove that bloom/blur filter that were in earlier MH shots?
I press 7 to remove the bloom filter but for some I believe / is what you use. You cannot do 9x SSAA or the game will go black. Do 4x SSAA.

Top Bottom