• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii emulator can do 720p HD

Jirotrom

thanks guys, I cant do this now seeing as I'm about to invest in street fighter IV and the fallout 3 packs, but I will In August or so.

Firestorm

Ok, so would it be possible for Nintendo to actually release a WiiHD which does what this emulator does and just render things at a higher resolution with 4x MSAA and 16x AF while letting newer games use better resolution textures and models from the ground up?

If so I'd be there Day 1 even if it came out tomorrow :eek:

Schrade

Hmm maybe that's that 16 bit color thing someone mentioned recently?

I remember seeing patterns like that in the old days of 16 bit video cards. (When 24bit was too slow)

M3d10n

Schrade said:
Hmm maybe that's that 16 bit color thing someone mentioned recently?

I remember seeing patterns like that in the old days of 16 bit video cards. (When 24bit was too slow)
Its intentional. Actual dithering doesn't look like that. Also, if they wanted to save RAM they'd use S3TC compressed textures, which are smaller than 16-bit ones and don't use dithering.

Firestorm said:
Ok, so would it be possible for Nintendo to actually release a WiiHD which does what this emulator does and just render things at a higher resolution with 4x MSAA and 16x AF while letting newer games use better resolution textures and models from the ground up?

If so I'd be there Day 1 even if it came out tomorrow :eek:
This.

I want that super pretty Galaxy on my HDTV.

Eteric Rice

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Nintendo's next system is HD, and they re-released Galaxy and Galaxy 2 in HD.

And you know what?

I'd buy it.

Game is just THAT good.

Schrade said:
Nice screenshots. Are the cheesecloth patterns in the textures normally there? Looks weird.

This pic shows it a lot: http://i39.tinypic.com/71k940.jpg

Yeah, they are. I'm kind of surprised you never noticed it. I think it was put there for styling reasons.

I never noticed it in the sky before, though.

Azure J

What's all this about Galaxy being playabl--

bee said:
Wii HD indeed

-pics-

1zmkpxj.gif

Scariest part is it's not even the technical stuff that gets me going wow in those pics, it's the actual art behind it.

Edit - Man do I fucking need a new PC or laptop. :lol

bee said:
Wii HD indeed

Shit just got fucking real.

Kilrogg said:
To be honest, I don't find the game any more stunning in 720p than it already was in 480p/i. I don't find it crisper in the video, and in fact, going by the screenshots above my post, the game is uglier in 720p. The 2D HUD and the low-res textures in particular stick out.

I'll keep my 480i SMG, thank you very much.

Rofl.

Aadil said:
Will brain_stew's budget PCs be sufficient to run this emulator?

Its pretty nicely suited to it actually due to the high stock clockspeed of the chosen processor. OC the processor a little (which is very easy with the a black edition CPU) to 3.6-3.8ghz or so and you'll be laughing.

I'd recommend adding this to the build for $20 to aid your overclocking:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200036

And this $2.50 ultra tiny Bluetooth adapter to allow you to hook up your Wiimote:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11866

AzureJericho said:
Scariest part is it's not even the technical stuff that gets me going wow in those pics, it's the actual art behind it.

Edit - Man do I fucking need a new PC or laptop. :lol

That's the reason I'm such a big fan of PC image quality, it allows the art assets to be shown in their true light, You lose so much by restricting yourself to 640x480 0aa/0af, that a lot of the subtle art direction isn't quite so easily noticed.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Dabookerman said:
Voicing such opinions such as these may be used against you to invalidate any future opinions you may have on anything.

Just so you know.

Yeah right.

@vazel: since you mention the HUD, the screenshots someone posted earlier make the borders of the sprites (the star count for instance) look more pixelated than they are in their native resolution. The problem is the same with any other game for any other system that's emulated at a higher-than-normal resolution, nothing new there.

Again, there's no need to feel offended or to "rofl" at me. It just doesn't make a whole lot of difference to me, and for some reason, the textures stick out more in 720p. It wouldn't keep me from enjoying the game, of course (if I were a graphics whore, I wouldn't be a Wii/DS-only owner).

I imagine it looks better than the same game running in 480p on an HD screen with a crappy upscaler, but since I don't own an HDTV and don't use my PC monitor to play console games, I wouldn't know. This is what I like with good old CRT SDTVs: for all their lack of sharpness, they filter out unpleasing details, not to mention the fact that 480 is actually their native resolution, making games in SD look as intended.

This is still an achievement for the developers of Dolphin though, and I wish them luck. Props to them! I'm just not "wowed" by this HD treatment. At all.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
The Galaxy screens! :O
Will a core i7, 6Gig of Ram + ATI 4890 be sufficient to run this baby @ 1080P?

Kilrogg said:
Yeah right.

@vazel: since you mention the HUD, the screenshots someone posted earlier make the borders of the sprites (the star count for instance) look more pixelated than they are in their native resolution. The problem is the same with any other game for any other system that's emulated at a higher-than-normal resolution, nothing new there.

Again, there's no need to feel offended or to "rofl" at me. It just doesn't make a whole lot of difference to me, and for some reason, the textures stick out more in 720p. It wouldn't keep me from enjoying the game, of course (if I were a graphics whore, I wouldn't be a Wii/DS-only owner).

I imagine it looks better than the same game running in 480p on an HD screen with a crappy upscaler, but since I don't own an HDTV and don't use my PC monitor to play console games, I wouldn't know. This is what I like with good old CRT SDTVs: for all their lack of sharpness, they filter out unpleasing details, not to mention the fact that 480 is actually their native resolution, making games in SD look as intended.

This is still an achievement for the developers of Dolphin though, and I wish them luck. Props to them! I'm just not "wowed" by this HD treatment. At all.

Image quality is imo THE most important part of a game looking good, more than any fancy geometry, shaders or jizz mapping. Go check out your pc back catalogue, bang up the AAxAF settings, and prepare to be surprised.

EDIT: and good art of course.

fizzelopeguss said:
Image quality is imo THE most important part of a game looking good, more than any fancy geometry, shaders or jizz mapping. Go check out your pc back catalogue, bang up the AAxAF settings, and prepare to be surprised.

Exactly. World of Warcraft for instance looks incredible IQ wise. The art / textures truly shine trough with high levels of AA, AF & triple buffering.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
fizzelopeguss said:

The thing with AF and AA is that I always turn them off or don't push them too far because my PC is a bit old and doesn't like them :p.

Not saying I disagree with you by the way. It's just that I don't mind much above a certain threshold. One example of a game I can't stand looking at is PAL Madworld. It's already bad enough that it's forced 50Hz, but it's forced 16:9 too, which, on a 4:3 screen is a pain. And then there's that goddamn shimmering effect which reminds me of the worse days of the PS1 and PS2. Combine all this with the game's artsyle and let the eye-bleeding begin! Unbearable.

I should mention one last thing regarding SMG though: it might look different once you actually play it. Then, only then, maybe, I'd be impressed. There's a difference between seeing a game in screenshots, seeing it in videos, and actually playing it.

Kilrogg said:
The thing with AF and AA is that I always turn them off or don't push them too far because my PC is a bit old and doesn't like them :p.

Not saying I disagree with you by the way. It's just that I don't mind much above a certain threshold. One example of a game I can't stand looking at is PAL Madworld. It's already bad enough that it's forced 50Hz, but it's forced 16:9 too, which, on a 4:3 screen is a pain. And then there's that goddamn shimmering effect which reminds me of the worse days of the PS1 and PS2. Combine all this with the game's artsyle and let the eye-bleeding begin! Unbearable.

I should mention one last thing regarding SMG though: it might look different once you actually play it. Then, only then, maybe, I'd be impressed. There's a difference between seeing a game in screenshots, seeing it in videos, and actually playing it.
Well, you make a few good points, but when looking at SMG I think it'll look fantastic when outputted to an HDTV. That way the crude interface elements lose their rough edges and the high internal res will really make a difference.

Hard to jugde though when not experienced in person.

yanhero

Kaako said:
The Galaxy screens! :O
Will a core i7, 6Gig of Ram + ATI 4890 be sufficient to run this baby @ 1080P?

I have that exact same setup, and its not enough to run SMG at 1080p at 60fps at the stock speed of 2.66Ghz. It only runs at around 23fps.

Firestorm

yanhero said:
I have that exact same setup, and its not enough to run SMG at 1080p at 60fps at the stock speed of 2.66Ghz. It only runs at around 23fps.
Did you enable multi-core in the options? Seems odd you wouldn't be able to run this emulator with that hardware.

Edit: wait 1080p. Well you could try 720p!

Aadil

Banned
brain_stew said:
Its pretty nicely suited to it actually due to the high stock clockspeed of the chosen processor. OC the processor a little (which is very easy with the a black edition CPU) to 3.6-3.8ghz or so and you'll be laughing.

I'd recommend adding this to the build for $20 to aid your overclocking:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200036

And this $2.50 ultra tiny Bluetooth adapter to allow you to hook up your Wiimote:

Cheers dude, you're the man, thanks for the help!

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
InsertCredit said:
Hard to jugde though when not experienced in person.

Indeed, and my PC would explode just trying to run it at more than 5f/s anyway.

Don't let this jaded guy piss on your party :p. I just feel like I've already experienced the beauty of Galaxy's visuals enough (playtime above 60 hours I believe), so no amount of upres-ing is going to wow me.

I'm also bitter that Nintendo went the easy way going for a sequel, but I'm in the minority on that, so carry on.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
yanhero said:
It was running at 720p in that pic :(
Shit. :(
Thanks for the info though, very helpful. What if I overclock it to 3-3.5Ghz? I wonder if that'll improve the frame rate to playable standards.

vazel

Banned
Kilrogg said:
I just feel like I've already experienced the beauty of Galaxy's visuals enough (playtime above 60 hours I believe), so no amount of upres-ing is going to wow me.
How can you not see the benefits of a higher resolution. Higher resolutions benefit low res textures and polygons too because it makes the overall image more clearer and you also get to add AA/AF. But I guess you're just justifying playing at SD res with no AA/AF because you don't have a good machine anyway.

Firestorm said:

I don't think it's likely. This sort of high level emulation has enough problems and glitches that I don't see it being put in a retail product.

HUELEN10

Ysiadmihi said:
It's possible, but I haven't had any problems with them until now. Does the 360 pad work fine?
No clue, I just thought it might be bluetooth drivers to be to blame. They were when I was using my Nyko Wand & Wii Remote with Wiiji on OS X, nothing to do with this of course.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I'm getting a pretty crappy framerate, but I think it's because of my CPU (Athlon X2 5000+ @ 3.2ghz). The game looks AMAZING in HD though. Absolutely going to replay it once I get a new CPU.

1-D_FTW

brain_stew said:

Brain_stew has posted this link before and I've ordered it successfully. Just a word of caution for someone who's never used dealextreme, it takes forever to arrive. I had pretty much written off my adapter ever arriving. And for under 3 dollars, wasn't even gonna bother getting upset about it. Then it arrived. Not sure how they can ship from Asia for that price, but no complaints that they do.

Basileus777 said:
I don't think it's likely. This sort of high level emulation has enough problems and glitches that I don't see it being put in a retail product.

Emulation sucks. It requires tons of raw horsepower and is buggy even in the best cases.

But since it's Nintendo, they wouldn't have to emulate the hardware to accomplish this. They could simply make WiiHD a super powered Wii that rendered the games at higher resolutions (and AA & AF.) Think of how a PC renders games at higher resolutions the more powerful the hardware.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
1-D_FTW said:
But since it's Nintendo, they wouldn't have to emulate the hardware to accomplish this. They could simply make WiiHD a super powered Wii that rendered the games at higher resolutions (and AA & AF.) Think of how a PC renders games at higher resolutions the more powerful the hardware.

WiiHD, a system that does just that, was initially planned for a 2009 release. At least, that's what I heard.

Top Bottom