• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii emulator can do 720p HD

Hero of Legend said:
Those Extraction shots are amazing! :D

Does the actual game run in 30 or 60 frames?

Also, I've been really looking into getting a reciever to play my Wii in 1080p, and I can afford it soon enough, for a $500 or even $600 reciever, how much better will Wii games look?

Any particular recievers that give the best quality picture?
the real game runs at 30 fps with occasional drops. with the dx9 plugin i'm getting about 25 fps at 1080p.

Red

Holy fuck @ Extraction pics. Looks nearly as good as the original.

Well, not quite, but compared to what I'm used to seeing on the Wii, wow.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Hmm, did Mario get some kinda boos recently or do you just have most uber PC ever? I don' remember it going like that

I don't know if it's for any specific reason that they're not already, but could all of these wonderful additions to Dolphin be consolidated somewhere? It's really tough to sift through the thread to find them.

Sorry for the bump, just to hit David's question...

DavidDayton said:
Kulock said:
I don't have a problem with the emulation, personally. It's the edits. I miss the little things like that flicker from the dark to the sky at the end of Super Mario Bros. 3 stages, some of the text changes they've made for copyright issues, things like that.

?

Someone on GAF said they'd removed how things flickered out after you beat the Koopa Kids. Looking now, I see they just reduced it.

NES version
VC Version

I do know they took out the color flash in the GBA version, so I wouldn't have been surprised if they did more to the VC version, since they forced hitflash out of games like Metal Slug.

It wasn't as bad as I thought it was, and I'd forgotten it didn't flicker from a black to blue sky (my memory was messed up from playing so much of the All Stars version for SNES), but it wasn't like I was going to spend $5 to find out.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Kulock said:
Sorry for the bump, just to hit David's question...

Someone on GAF said they'd removed how things flickered out after you beat the Koopa Kids. Looking now, I see they just reduced it.

Ah... that explains it. The original description made it sound like there was some flickering in "the sky" of the game.... the flicker is of the background images at the end of boss fights.

KillerAJD

VideoMan said:
I never even noticed that they edited out the flash in the VC version of SMB3 but looking at the video of the original NES version it occurred to me why they probably did it. Most certainly it's because of the Pokemon indecent where the screen flashed for a few seconds in an episode of the Pokemon TV show and caused hundreds of kids to go into seizure.
Holy shit. Can't believe something like that happened. I watched the video on the wiki and now I have a headache and it feels like red and blue are flashing all around my room, lol.
Anyways, some of these shots are amazing. Gonna have to try setting it up. I just wish I had a blue tooth adapter so I could actually use the Wiimotes.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just discovered th joys of Dolphin today. True HD, fully playable versions of Super Mario Galaxy and Brawl that I can play right now on my new computer is almost surreal. I can only imagine how good this software will be going forward. Truly insane.

This thread seems strangely lacking in HD brawl shots:

Note: This is in a manually sized window, so the Aspect Ratio might not be quite perfect (widescreen hack is on). Yoshi looks a lil skinny. ;)

VideoMan said:
I never even noticed that they edited out the flash in the VC version of SMB3 but looking at the video of the original NES version it occurred to me why they probably did it. Most certainly it's because of the Pokemon indecent where the screen flashed for a few seconds in an episode of the Pokemon TV show and caused hundreds of kids to go into seizure.
Actually it isn't that. Though that did have serious effects on the anime industry (the warnings at the bottom of the screen of anime airing during prime time and also flashing effects being a thing of the past).

Nintendo fought a court case in 2004 against some people suing them because their son suffered an epileptic seisure while playing Mega Man X (why they're suing Nintendo and not Capcom I'll never figure out? I guess their case was something like the systems shouldn't be able to produce such colours hence the hardware makers fault). The BBCs Outrageous Fortunes Nintendo documentary spends a good deal of time on this (including testing some modern Nintendo games and yeah, most of the failed except for one called Zelda:The wind Maker, ah journalism).

I believe Nintendo won the court case but court cases cost money to run (I can't remember if they had to use the summon Miyamoto Card or not). So in about October 2004 (Japanese release of Fire Emblem Sacred Stones lacks it but European release of Paper Mario thousand Year door has it) every game from there on out had that stupid seizure warning added to it. Now somewhere along the line they realised coding the screen into every game was silly and they would be better off adding it to the hardware.

I'm guessing to be another layer of caution when putting games up on the virtual console they made it a requirement (I'm guessing they did because SEGA games have the flashes edited out) for flashing effects to be cut down. They don't want this matter getting to "we have a case" let alone, "we'll see you in court".

Hawkian said:
I kinda thought this thread was about wii HD and posting screenshots of it. If not oh well. No More Heroes!
I think the in-game filter makes these look blurrier than the resolution would like to, but either way, it's damn pretty.
This. Less talking, more HD screenshots! Looks like its up to you, Hawkian, make this thread interesting again. Can't wait for my new PC now :cry

Also I agree there I was going to say it looks pretty blurry, the contrast between the sharpness of the HUD and the game is kind odd. I'm sure it looks much better in motion, yes? Reminds me of SMT: Nocturne, graphically. We need more HD cel-shading done like this, with more realistic looking characters rather than purely anime ones.
How does it run at the moment, any fps hitches? What CPU and clock-speed are you running for that.

Edit:
Starwolf_UK said:
Nintendo fought a court case in 2004 against some people suing them because their son suffered an epileptic seisure while playing Mega Man X (why they're suing Nintendo and not Capcom I'll never figure out? I guess their case was something like the systems shouldn't be able to produce such colours hence the hardware makers fault). The BBCs Outrageous Fortunes Nintendo documentary spends a good deal of time on this (including testing some modern Nintendo games and yeah, most of the failed except for one called Zelda:The wind Maker, ah journalism).

Would it not have been a breach of the Nintendo Seal of Quality, or whatever its called, hence being Nintendo's responsibility if there is something wrong with it?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Gorgeous caps, plagiarize, but you need to jpg those bitches. 5 MB per picture? I'm sure the lack of arctifacts is awesome, but you just killed my router.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I don't know about plagiarize but mine are two MB or less, and my webserver was getting hosed last night, I cleared my cache and the three NMH images loaded in under 6 seconds as of 8 AM. Anyone still having problems? Sheesh.

Also I agree there I was going to say it looks pretty blurry, the contrast between the sharpness of the HUD and the game is kind odd. I'm sure it looks much better in motion, yes? Reminds me of SMT: Nocturne, graphically. We need more HD cel-shading done like this, with more realistic looking characters rather than purely anime ones.
How does it run at the moment, any fps hitches? What CPU and clock-speed are you running for that.

You're absolutely right in that it looks better in motion, but I think the shots actually look pretty good :[ There is definitely an ingame filter being used. http://garcellano.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/no-more-heroes-20061204053907346.jpg You can kind of see how, even though there's obviously more aliasing in the Sub-HD res, it still sort of looks blurry to compensate and compliment the art style. There might be some tweaks I can do.

I'm on an i7 940 at stock (2.93). It runs very playably. 20-30 in the city and 30-60 in instanced areas, but more importantly the framerate is quite consistent within an area so it doesn't have the "chugging" effect. If I overclocked a bit (will someday soon) I could probably get it near-fullspeed. Still, it runs the worst of the games I have tried so far, which is a real testament to Dolphin.

Wow its like I'm back on a 56k modem again, but I didnt hear its horrible screeches connecting up.

Re-save your images in a better format and find a better imagehost dude. Thats some ridiculously slow loading shit right there.

batbeg

Hawkian said:
I don't know about plagiarize but mine are two MB or less, and my webserver was getting hosed last night, I cleared my cache and the three NMH images loaded in under 6 seconds as of 8 AM. Anyone still having problems? Sheesh.

Yes, it's still utterly ridiculous.

OMG Aero

Hawkian said:
You don't save images like that as PNG files.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
SecretBonusPoint said:
Wow its like I'm back on a 56k modem again, but I didnt hear its horrible screeches connecting up.

Re-save your images in a better format and find a better imagehost dude. Thats some ridiculously slow loading shit right there.
this a thousand times...

V_Ben

Banned
SecretBonusPoint said:

yeah, those things are loading crazy slow :lol

whitehawk

Banned
Hawkian said:
Just discovered th joys of Dolphin today. True HD, fully playable versions of Super Mario Galaxy and Brawl that I can play right now on my new computer is almost surreal. I can only imagine how good this software will be going forward. Truly insane.

This thread seems strangely lacking in HD brawl shots:

Note: This is in a manually sized window, so the Aspect Ratio might not be quite perfect (widescreen hack is on). Yoshi looks a lil skinny. ;)
Dude, upload your images to tinypic or something. Inchaos.net is SLOW!!!!! right now.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Haunted said:
Oh yes, quote them again, that'll help. >_<

Seriously. Wtf. I have taken down all the links- fellow Hawk, PLEASE edit your quote and remove those.

Inchaos,net isn't an imagehost, it's my webserver. It is usually incredibly reliable with more bandwidth than I know what to do with. Not sure what is going on, it's taking me 3 or 4 minutes just to load my /puiblic_html directory. Anyway... reposting with rehosting.

2mnkwon.png

24vph8n.png

30vlq84.png

2ilihki.png

10r1j6x.png

Sorry for inspiring so much dialup nostalgia.

kylej

Banned
oh man COME ON Nintendo give me Wii HD. I would pay huge money for a Wind Waker re-release with higher resolution textures, etc.

Lime

Holy shit, I just tried playing REmake and Muramasa with this thing at 1920x1080 with full AA and MSAA. It's an entirely different experience.

Now my TV doesn't cry anymore when I'm normally using my Wii.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
REmake would be the RE1 remake right?

Those first batch of shots from Killer7? And.. seriously please resize them. Anytime you take a screenshot that cannot be display fullscreen on a 1920x1080 monitor, your instincts should tell you this.

Datschge said:
2300x1375 screens without thumbnails, really? Otherwise looks nice (the parts I can see on the screen at least :lol ).
Hawkian said:
REmake would be the RE1 remake right?

Those first batch of shots from Killer7? And.. seriously please resize them. Anytime you take a screenshot that cannot be display fullscreen on a 1920x1080 monitor, your instincts should tell you this.
Done and done, sorry about that. I spaced for a moment and thought that I was living in a world where everyone had a 2304x1440 native res.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Hawkian said:
Seriously. Wtf. I have taken down all the links- fellow Hawk, PLEASE edit your quote and remove those.

Inchaos,net isn't an imagehost, it's my webserver. It is usually incredibly reliable with more bandwidth than I know what to do with. Not sure what is going on, it's taking me 3 or 4 minutes just to load my /puiblic_html directory. Anyway... reposting with rehosting.

30vlq84.png

2ilihki.png

10r1j6x.png

Sorry for inspiring so much dialup nostalgia.

Too Much Gorgeous

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
My computer hates Dolphin. Crashes constantly, doesn't render things perfectly, meh.

It would be time consuming, but I'd love to get a collection of before/after shots showing what a WiiHD could potentially be like. Just to show people out there what native 1080p with a little AA and AF can bring to games, even when the same assets are used.

Something where two shots were exactly the same, one being 1920x1080 sized and rendering the same resolution, while another being 1920x1080 sized yet still only showing the Wii's native resolution with no AA and AF, essentially upscaling.

It's easier to really spot the difference when the actual image area size is the same. Gives an idea of how upscaling looks compared to true native resolution.

MNC

It's like... Those screenshots each have their perfect configs. No More Heroes with the exact amount of AA blur (or something :lol) Crisp smash bros, crisp killer7. The perfect settings to make it look like good HD.

EatChildren said:
My computer hates Dolphin. Crashes constantly, doesn't render things perfectly, meh.

It would be time consuming, but I'd love to get a collection of before/after shots showing what a WiiHD could potentially be like. Just to show people out there what native 1080p with a little AA and AF can bring to games, even when the same assets are used.

Something where two shots were exactly the same, one being 1920x1080 sized and rendering the same resolution, while another being 1920x1080 sized yet still only showing the Wii's native resolution with no AA and AF, essentially upscaling.

It's easier to really spot the difference when the actual image area size is the same. Gives an idea of how upscaling looks compared to true native resolution.
Could someone please try this? Either way, I want moar screenshots. I'm actually excited for Wii games to release now because of Dolphin :lol. MH3 would look insane and Crystal Bearers probably will too.
I would try this but I don't have a PC yet :'(

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
MNC said:
It's like... Those screenshots each have their perfect configs. No More Heroes with the exact amount of AA blur (or something :lol) Crisp smash bros, crisp killer7. The perfect settings to make it look like good HD.

It's funny because I agree, but every shot I've taken was with identical settings- 4x Anisotropic, 4xMSAA. The thing is, No More Heroes uses an in-game graphical filter which makes even the Wii version look somewhat anti-aliased (even though it obviously isn't), and so with actual AA on top of it every freaking edge has like the softest, most delicious cel-shaded effect to it ever. The sad thing is that the framerate out in the city is a bit slow, still sub 30fps. But definitely playable in HD- and the most amazing thing about Dolphin is that it is being worked on every day. Just imagine how it will render games a year from now!

I dunno about the before-after thing, I might be able to do that later, but I did get the first star in SMG and discovered the joy of no-overlay-pause in SSBB:

TinyPIC + jpg versus png kind of butchered these a little bit... maybe I'll redo them later.
11qnwxs.jpg

bdr6kh.jpg

2q3ohad.jpg

14wx7gx.jpg

MNC

Can you tell me your rig Hawkian? Things look awesome.

Also Dolphin has such a good community. It's awesome it's so open sourced to see a new update just about every day :lol

Also also: Brawl has such sexy textures. Just look at meta knight's shoulder pads!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Sure thing, it's a Core i7 940 (but a 920 can easily be overclocked to match without breaking a sweat)
Windows 7 64-bit (using 32-bit Dolphin, not all plugins are compatible with the 64 edition)
6GB XMS DDR3 RAM
GTX 260 (2 of them in SLI, but as far as I know Dolphin isn't really benefitting from the SLI at all, it's incredibly CPU-bound)
1 TB HDD, 750W Antec PSU etc

I just got it :D

There are crashes and you need to tweak games here and there, but for the most part it works like a dream with Brawl and SMG, which is incredible considering how young the emulator truly is. NMH is fully playable if you have a tweaked save file, but in the city it takes some patience to cope with the sub-30 framerate, though I might be able to tweak it and get it to run better. Haven't been able to get killer7 running, oddly. And I haven't tired Twilight Princess yet, but I wasn't all that fond of its textures to begin with :-x

And yes, the attention to detail in the Brawl textures is ludicrous, especially considering how few people will ever get to see it. Meta Knight's shoulderpads and even the shading on the mask are begging to be seen in HD, and that's if you can even make them out at all on a standard res TV! I also like the chainmail pattern in Sheik's shoes, definitely didn't notice it until playing brawl this way.

Hawkian said:
Sure thing, it's a Core i7 940 (but a 920 can easily be overclocked to match without breaking a sweat)
Windows 7 64-bit (using 32-bit Dolphin, not all plugins are compatible with the 64 edition)
6GB XMS DDR3 RAM
GTX 260 (2 of them in SLI, but as far as I know Dolphin isn't really benefitting from the SLI at all, it's incredibly CPU-bound)
1 TB HDD, 750W Antec PSU etc

I just got it :D

There are crashes and you need to tweak games here and there, but for the most part it works like a dream with Brawl and SMG, which is incredible considering how young the emulator truly is. NMH is fully playable if you have a tweaked save file, but in the city it takes some patience to cope with the sub-30 framerate, though I might be able to tweak it and get it to run better. Haven't been able to get killer7 running, oddly. And I haven't tired Twilight Princess yet, but I wasn't all that fond of its textures to begin with :-x

And yes, the attention to detail in the Brawl textures is ludicrous, especially considering how few people will ever get to see it. Meta Knight's shoulderpads and even the shading on the mask are begging to be seen in HD, and that's if you can even make them out at all on a standard res TV! I also like the chainmail pattern in Sheik's shoes, definitely didn't notice it until playing brawl this way.

I actually consider all that extra detail to be the most convincing proof that a Wii HD is coming and will "Dolphin" all of our existing Wii games. I wish I had a powerful PC.

Top Bottom