• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii emulator can do 720p HD

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah... dedicated graphics, preferably with 512mb of RAM or more, are a must. But they will always take a backseat to proc speed for any emulation.

What does it mean if I'm using the emulator and it's keeping a solid 60 frames per second but the game's SPEED is unstable?

Music and animations will speed up and slow down frequently and drastically, but it all still moves smooth as butter. It basically runs exactly the same whether I output at 1920x1080 max AA or 640x480 with zero AA. Is there a way to fix this or do I just need to wait for the emulator to get better?

I wanna replay wind waker, but after seeing it in HD, I don't think I can go back to running the regular version.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Do you by any chance have your framelimiter at any weird settings? You don't want it at anything but 60. There's an option in the sound plugin that does this automatically too, something about throttle.

Hawkian said:
Do you by any chance have your framelimiter at any weird settings? You don't want it at anything but 60. There's an option in the sound plugin that does this automatically too, something about throttle.
turned this on, didn't seem to help.

i also turned on the FPS display and apparently i'm getting 10-20 FPS depending on what's being rendered. i guess i just have a bad eye for this sort of thing, but it still looks very smooth to me, just slow :lol

however, i get the same framerate even when i turn all the settings down low. now, my computer is pretty powerful. it can run crisis on mostly high settings. i feel like i shouldn't be having this problem. do i just need to wait for the emulator to get better?

autobzooty said:
2.79 GHz

no good? i'm not much of a techie, i guess.
Needs more cowbell. 3.5-4Ghz is the sweet spot for perfromance with this. Everyone asks this :lol I think we need thread title change to "Wii emulator can do 720p HD - 4Ghz or bust" or something along those lines.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Indeed, my core i7 at 2.93 stock can run Mario Galaxy and Brawl at great FPS; NMH is just not emulated all that well and is slower. That said, having two cores is a huge benefit as dolphin is fully optimized for it. autobzooty, what kind of processor is it? A 2.8ghz single core loses to a 2.5ghz dual or quad core in this case.

Hawkian said:
Indeed, my core i7 at 2.93 stock can run Mario Galaxy and Brawl at great FPS; NMH is just not emulated all that well and is slower. That said, having two cores is a huge benefit as dolphin is fully optimized for it. autobzooty, what kind of processor is it? A 2.8ghz single core loses to a 2.5ghz dual or quad core in this case.

OXzCu.png

This is exactly what it says on my system info.

Even if I can't run the thing at max settings, shouldn't I at least see SOME difference in performance if I turn everything down? I mean, given that my computer is definitely more powerful than a gamecube, or a wii for that matter, it just seems odd to me. Will this get better in time, or am I stuck like this until I get new hardware?

autobzooty said:
OXzCu.png

Even if I can't run the thing at max settings, shouldn't I at least see SOME difference in performance if I turn everything down? I mean, given that my computer is definitely more powerful than a gamecube, or a wii for that matter, it just seems odd to me. Will this get better in time, or am I stuck like this until I get new hardware?

The settings you are changing are likely being performed by your GPU, which is not your problem.

Datschge

autobzooty said:
I mean, given that my computer is definitely more powerful than a gamecube, or a wii for that matter, it just seems odd to me.
Virtualization of different systems comes with a huge penalty. Even if your hosting processor is more powerful than the guest system, if the command set is different all the calculations needs to be transformed from one to another first. In GC/Wii's case the command set is PowerPC, and the GPU is custom (this is why e.g. no Factor 5 game with its low level GPU programming can be emulated yet).

whitehawk

Banned
So I realized that I didn't have the dual core option selected, so now most of Wind Waker runs at 15 - 25 now, instead of 10-15. Pretty much runs at 30fps in houses now too.

What's stopping them from enabling the emulator from using quad cores? If it could do that, I think I might get full speed.

Slavik81

whitehawk said:
So I realized that I didn't have the dual core option selected, so now most of Wind Waker runs at 15 - 25 now, instead of 10-15. Pretty much runs at 30fps in houses now too.

What's stopping them from enabling the emulator from using quad cores? If it could do that, I think I might get full speed.
Parallelization really has to be done at a software design level. Once the code's been written for X number of threads, that's basically the maximum you can get out of it.

Tenbatsu

ToastyBanana said:
Big Monster Hunter 3 pics in different modes for your comparing pleasure.

Native res

1080p (no AA)

1080p (8xAA)

Weird the native looks better.

I like to ask, I got both MH3 and MHG for the Wii. MH3 when in 4:3 on a HDTV, the game is super clear whereas it's a bit blur in 16:9. But for MHG, the game is sharp even in both screen size mode, why is this so? Did they render MHG in 16:9 which I heard is not possible on the Wii?

whitehawk

Banned
Slavik81 said:
Parallelization really has to be done at a software design level. Once the code's been written for X number of threads, that's basically the maximum you can get out of it.
I have no idea what you just said, but alrighty then.

More screens :)

j8fmms.png

2jb5i.png

qrjbxd.png

f37tol.png

11ie0qc.png

ector

Neo Member
There's three largely independent (well not really, but enough) units of the GC / Wii that can be split off and emulated on separate threads:

CPU: PowerPC->x86 recompilation (light, unparallelizable) + run recompiled code (heavy, unparallelizable)

GPU: Decode GC/Wii GPU commands (heavy, unparallelizabile) + translate vbuffers/textures (light, parallelizable) and issue OpenGL/D3D calls (heavy, unparallelizable)

Audio: High level emulation (light, parallelizable) OR low level emulation (heavy+unparallelizable+broken)

None of these can really be split a lot further, since there's nothing heavy and parallelizable left.

So in conclusion, having more than 3 cores will never help more than marginally, and HLE audio is so cheap that there's really not much difference between having 2 and 3 cores.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
autobzooty said:
OXzCu.png

What is your GPU? A mild overclock to ~3 ghz would probably actually help quite a bit. Do you have Enable Dual Core checked in settings?

whitehawk

Banned
Hawkian said:
What is your GPU? A mild overclock to ~3 ghz would probably actually help quite a bit. Do you have Enable Dual Core checked in settings?
Ya, make sure this is checked. It added 5-10 frames for me.

Lime

Here's some of Oboru Muramasa and REmake, both running at 1920x1080 with 8xMSAA and 16x Anisotropic. The screenshots are incredibly dark, probably due to Fraps. I'll see if I can get it to work properly.

2hr0dx5.jpg

10gwbyr.jpg

nlbczc.jpg

316b75z.jpg

Lime

I should be doing hw said:
Moar REmake shots please! :D

I need to force Frap to take actual screenshots of the displayed. It seems like something is interfering with the colours, whether it's Windows 7's colour scheme or Dolphin itself.

Luigiv

Tenbatsu said:
Weird the native looks better.

I like to ask, I got both MH3 and MHG for the Wii. MH3 when in 4:3 on a HDTV, the game is super clear whereas it's a bit blur in 16:9. But for MHG, the game is sharp even in both screen size mode, why is this so? Did they render MHG in 16:9 which I heard is not possible on the Wii?
Do you have a Bravia? I think MH3 runs in 16:9 "shortscreen" (640x360) whilst MHG, which is less taxing on the system, runs 16:9 anamorphic (640x480). Bravia upscalers for some reason struggle with "shortscreen" whilst working perfectly with every single other resolution configuration. I believe it's because the TV tries to up scale 640x360 with it's 640x480 algorithm when all it should be doing is tripling the number of pixels on both axis.

Red

I'm wondering if anyone here has been able to play through MP2: Echoes using Dolphin. Whenever I try to play the scan visor is impossible to use. It comes up, but not objects are scannable. They aren't even colored differently.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Rush2thestart said:
Can't wait to see Modern Warfare Reflex and Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles on this. Hell, World at War would be nice too.

Why on earth would anyone emulate Modern Warfare Reflex when they could just buy Modern Warfare 1 or 2 PC for the same price or less and have it perform /better/ on the PC?

Stumpokapow said:
Why on earth would anyone emulate Modern Warfare Reflex when they could just buy Modern Warfare 1 or 2 PC for the same price or less and have it perform /better/ on the PC?

Uhh...to see how it looks. Why did I even answer that question? :lol

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
You could argue the Wii controls are reason enough to emulate Reflex.

But then again, it might be easier to mod the PC version to include it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Cataferal said:
You could argue the Wii controls are reason enough to emulate Reflex.

But then again, it might be easier to mod the PC version to include it.

Even the most avid motion control fans would generally say that it's at best equivalent in response time to a mouse and keyboard. But yes, if you really wanted Wiimote controls, it'd be much easier to map them into the PC version :p

I mean obviously in the long term you want the emulator to play every game at 100%, but I'm just saying at this stage of development, I'd focus on emulating and improving emulation for games that actually merit it!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Stumpokapow said:
Even the most avid motion control fans would generally say that it's at best equivalent in response time to a mouse and keyboard. But yes, if you really wanted Wiimote controls, it'd be much easier to map them into the PC version :p

I mean obviously in the long term you want the emulator to play every game at 100%, but I'm just saying at this stage of development, I'd focus on emulating and improving emulation for games that actually merit it!
One could always argue that mapping PC mouse/keyboard controls on the Wii/nunchuk combo is never the same as native Wii controls. In shooters you'd always lack the dead zone, you'd have to map a higher number of buttons to the few the Wii controllers have (thus making some of your actions pretty uncomfortable if not downright impossible) and the game wouldn't still be balanced to take it into account. In the end it's almost never an improvement, so why bothering?

gsx302

im not too good with computer but would really like to get this running on my pc.
i will pay someone via pay pal to teamview my pc and set this up for me. no joke. pm me

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Milpool said:
Shame about that, not sure if the DirectX plugin makes a difference. Runs at full speed with an AR code.

xf802e.jpg
Wow, that looks great. I actually think the background almost looks better without those textures. Would have been cool if they went more for the Mario World style of shapes and simple colors.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Milpool said:
Shame about that, not sure if the DirectX plugin makes a difference. Runs at full speed with an AR code.
How'd you get it to not "hang" after the screen where you select the number of players?

Milpool

vocelcius said:
How'd you get it to not "hang" after the screen where you select the number of players?

You have to use the LLE sound plugin, even then the background can scroll for about 30 seconds before loading the map screen.

Aesius

I'm about 10 minutes from pulling the trigger on a new CPU/Mobo/RAM combo - primarily for playing this emulator.

Need to know which one I should go with.

Either:
AMD X2 II 550 (3.1 ghz)
$99
or

Intel E7500 (2.93 ghz)
$120

Going by the specs it looks like a no-brainer in favor of AMD, but I keep reading that this emulator prefers Intel CPUs. Then again, the AMD can be overclocked to 3.4/3.5 ghz on stock cooling.

What should I do, GAF?

Stumpokapow said:
Y2Kev would because you can't shoot gangsta style on the PC version.

Kard8p3

.:Wesker:. said:
No missing textures here bros

http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab100/Bionic_Catbus/NSMBWiiHD.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab100/Bionic_Catbus/NSMBWiiHD2.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Can you possibly get a pic of the last boss?

yanhero

Aesius said:
I'm about 10 minutes from pulling the trigger on a new CPU/Mobo/RAM combo - primarily for playing this emulator.

Need to know which one I should go with.

Either:
AMD X2 II 550 (3.1 ghz)
$99
or

Intel E7500 (2.93 ghz)
$120

Going by the specs it looks like a no-brainer in favor of AMD, but I keep reading that this emulator prefers Intel CPUs. Then again, the AMD can be overclocked to 3.4/3.5 ghz on stock cooling.

What should I do, GAF?

If you are getting it purely for this emulator, I wouldn't get either.

Top Bottom