• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii emulator can do 720p HD

Moar

NSMBWiiHD3.jpg

Ydahs

SMG, NSMBWii and Metroid Prime Corruption are all games which I reckon Nintendo can get away with porting to their next HD console, just like they ported their Gamecube games to Wii. All three have superb art style or basically look like a HD game in SD. I'd probably buy it.

That's if Wii 2 doesn't emulate Wii games of course.

Margalis

Banned
It's really amazing how good some Nintendo games look in HD. I think part of it is that "next gen" games tend to use a lot of effects that distort the picture and lose information. All the smearing effects like bloom, depth of field, motion blur, etc subtract information out of the final composition.

Sectus

I'm a bit puzzled that even the 2D elements of the game are way more detailed than they have to be for 480p. The game looks amazingly good in high res.

Sectus said:
I'm a bit puzzled that even the 2D elements of the game are way more detailed than they have to be for 480p. The game looks amazingly good in high res.
I was about to post this. Most of the time, this sort of thing is overly sharp and doesn't match at all, but this is gorgeous.

Luigiv

.:Wesker:. said:
Wow, those textures are really nice. Makes you wonder as to what Nintendo was thinking. There's no way an SD game with a fixed camera needs textures that sharp, it's a waste of pixels.

Also that scaler algorithm used for the SD shots is terrible. Most HDTVs will do a far better job then that so I hope no one takes those to heart.

Sega1991 said:
Not to be that guy, but of course the comparisons are going to look horrible when you blow up a SD image to the same resolution as HD :lol
Well i think the point would be to show an approximation to what it looks like when it it blown up to the full size of a monitor/TV screen. So in a sense, it is perfectly fair to compare it that way because that would be how it would appear if you ran the game on a TV native res vs if you could run it in HD res on your tv for real.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Sega1991 said:
Not to be that guy, but of course the comparisons are going to look horrible when you blow up a SD image to the same resolution as HD :lol

I prefer this, and give huge props to this dude for doing so. It's harder to really see the bonus of higher resolutions, AA, and AF when you're comparing to the original SD image, which due to it's size will look great.

Ultimately the SD image on a 40" LCD/Plasma is blown up to look much more like the other images. It's as close as you're going to get to a representation of viewing size and screen detail.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Luigiv said:
Wow, those textures are really nice. Makes you wonder as to what Nintendo was thinking. There's no way an SD game with a fixed camera needs textures that sharp, it's a waste of pixels.
preparing for WiiHD of course, so that some titles will be ready to show off what the console can do. ;)

tabsina

So I had a look in the OP, and that didn't give me any answers.. how do I run the wii games in the emulator? Can I just insert the disc, or would I have to obtain a soft copy of it?

I'd try the disc, but I haven't downloaded the emulator yet and wanted to check on that first

tabsina said:
So I had a look in the OP, and that didn't give me any answers.. how do I run the wii games in the emulator? Can I just insert the disc, or would I have to obtain a soft copy of it?

I'd try the disc, but I haven't downloaded the emulator yet and wanted to check on that first
You can rip them using a soft- modded Wii, a specific model LG DVD drive (which I'm fairly certain you can no longer find), or you can download 'em (obviously not legal).

.:Wesker:. said:

Seems bizarre the 2D elements cleaned up like that, guess Nintendo created 2D assets that their console wasn't capable of properly displaying in full resolution. Looks delicious.

Its as if they've specifically created it for an easy "HD" port later down the line.

Sega1991 said:

Uhm, that's precisely what every single person using a Wii on an LCD or plasma display is doing, its a perfectly valid comparison. You don't view Wii titles in a 4 sided letterbox when you view them on your screen, you use all the screen real estate. This is the only fair comparison really, unless you play all your Wii games in a tiny corner of your monitor of course, then you might have a point.

Why would you do that? said:
May I ask how you got it to work in the emulator?
I tried to get it to work a while ago, when I first dumped the disk, and it didn't work. :(

Is it a new version of the emu, or some patch applied to the game, or something like that?
It's the very newest version of the emu. I just downloaded it earlier today.

Here are some of those Killer 7 screens I posted way earlier in the thread. They're insanely huge.

http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab100/Bionic_Catbus/sprinklercon.jpg
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab100/Bionic_Catbus/sexualbros.jpg
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab100/Bionic_Catbus/maskde.jpg
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab100/Bionic_Catbus/kevin.jpg
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab100/Bionic_Catbus/kaede.jpg

Durante

TheExodu5 said:
What kind of machine does it take to run that at 60fps? (NSMB)
I don't know what the minimum is, but it works at a locked 60 FPS on my Core i7 / GTS260. (with 1280*720 / 8xMSAA)
Note that for me the D3D graphics plugin is almost twice as fast as the OpenGL one in this game.

Some more screenshots:
Dolphin2009-11-2814-23-22-22.jpg

Dolphin2009-11-2814-42-30-76.jpg

Dolphin2009-11-2814-22-19-39.jpg

Durante

darkpaladinmfc said:
Are there any issues with NSMB at all? I haven't played the game yet and I might wait till I get a new rig to play it if it runs fine.
Currently you have to disable fog in the D3D plugin, but I haven't seen this making any big difference compared to the Wii version (and I expect this to be fixed soon). Otherwise it runs pretty much perfectly.

carlo6529 said:
I don't see much of a difference to be honest. Not enough to make me rebuy the game in HD anyway.
Since it's semi-2D and stylized there is less of a difference in NSMB compared to some other games, but you really don't see much of a difference between this and this? Also, I don't understand your remark about rebuying. You buy the game once and then just play it on Dolphin instead of your Wii :p

ShinNL

Durante said:
Since it's semi-2D and stylized there is less of a difference in NSMB compared to some other games, but you really don't see much of a difference between this and this? Also, I don't understand your remark about rebuying. You buy the game once and then just play it on Dolphin instead of your Wii :p
Don't jump on his ass like that. I don't see it that clearly either. I normally don't sit as close to the TV as I sit in front of the computer. Try backing up to the correct viewing distance and switch between the pictures and tell me you see a huge difference. Geez, resolution isn't everything you know. I play SF4 on a REDUCED resolution so I can run it at 60 fps. When I play on someone else's Xbox 360 I don't instantly drool. In fact, I see the same game.

By the way, suggesting to play this on the Dolphin instead of the actual Wii just because of the resolution is really fishy, people. The amount of benefits vs drawbacks is so big I can't imagine someone who owns a Wii actually doing it (besides for testing or replaying).

Durante

Soneet said:
Don't jump on his ass like that.
What? I think my post was entirely courteous :/
At least it was intended to be, note that English is not my first language.

Soneet said:
I normally don't sit as close to the TV as I sit in front of the computer. Try backing up to the correct viewing distance and switch between the pictures and tell me you see a huge difference.
If you read my post you will see that I particularly pointed out that, because of the style of the game, the difference is not huge. Still, I personally do see a large difference at my usual viewing distance. Of course, personal judgements of the realtive difference in IQ greatly depend on the individual.

Soneet said:
By the way, suggesting to play this on the Dolphin instead of the actual Wii just because of the resolution is really fishy, people. The amount of benefits vs drawbacks is so big I can't imagine someone who owns a Wii actually doing it (besides for testing or replaying).
I own an actual Wii (I stood in line for it on release day), and these days I play exclusively on Dolphin unless a game has huge problems (which is getting more and more rare). Can you point out this large amount of drawbacks as it pertains to NSMB Wii? I have yet to notice it.

if my macbook pro could use this bootcamp+win7 connected to an HDTV I would try this
can't Nintendo find a software solution to do something like this?

they need to hurry up

any other ways that SD Wii can be bumped to 720p without emu+pc?

Sup guys, I am totally blind and even I can't tell the difference between the HD and SD version of them. You're all a bunch of HD fanboys. Get a life.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So, on the newer builds, is there any way to make the Heat Wave effects in Mario Sunshine render at a higher reso? It looks so out of place when parts of the screen are low-res and blurred while the rest is sharp and crisp and AA'd.

Same issue with Wind Waker with its subtle DoF effect, or whatever it's suppoed to be.

ShinNL

Durante said:
I own an actual Wii (I stood in line for it on release day), and these days I play exclusively on Dolphin unless a game has huge problems (which is getting more and more rare). Can you point out this large amount of drawbacks as it pertains to NSMB Wii? I have yet to notice it.
Kind of sneaky how you first mention about all games, then just ask that question about NSMB only. I'm not falling for that.

So all your games huh? Since I haven't tried the emulator (you know, I own an actual Wii and all), I don't know the exact things about it. So tell me, how do you manage your savegames? How do you play online? And how many times do you have to check if your game is supported by the emulator before running it? How many 'expected' problems have you memorized before playing? Oh, how is your actual, you know, Wiimote working? How's your TV *cough* PC screen? How's local multiplayer? Not playing on PC screen? How's your cable setup with the TV & controller then? How do you rip all the games you buy? Where do you save it all after ripping?

No drawbacks? Really? Really!?!? Why would anyone go through all that hassle if they had a Wii and a new game waiting to be played. Resolution? Come on.

Top Bottom