• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii emulator can do 720p HD

Durante

Soneet said:
Kind of sneaky how you first mention about all games, then just ask that question about NSMB only. I'm not falling for that.
Your perception is interesting. Let me recap our conversation as it pertains to this:
Durante: "I don't understand your remark about rebuying. You buy the game once and then just play it on Dolphin instead of your Wii."
Soneet: "By the way, suggesting to play this on the Dolphin instead of the actual Wii just because of the resolution is really fishy, people. The amount of benefits vs drawbacks is so big I can't imagine someone who owns a Wii actually doing it (besides for testing or replaying)."
Durante: "I own an actual Wii (I stood in line for it on release day), and these days I play exclusively on Dolphin unless a game has huge problems (which is getting more and more rare). Can you point out this large amount of drawbacks as it pertains to NSMB Wii? I have yet to notice it."

Maybe I misunderstood your "this", but I assumed you were referring to NSMB.

Soneet said:
Since I haven't tried the emulator (you know, I own an actual Wii and all), I don't know the exact things about it. So tell me, how do you manage your savegames? How do you play online? And how many times do you have to check if your game is supported by the emulator before running it? How many 'expected' problems have you memorized before playing? Oh, how is your actual, you know, Wiimote working? How's your TV *cough* PC screen? How's local multiplayer? Not playing on PC screen? How's your cable setup with the TV & controller then? How do you rip all the games you buy? Where do you save it all after ripping?
I could do a point-by-point rebuttal, but since you don't seem to read anything you don't want to hear I don't see the point. A short list: Dolphin supports saving just like the Wii does, and save states in addition to that. My actual Wiimote is working perfectly. My TV is fine, as is my PC screen. Local multiplayer is not yet perfect, since you can't use multiple physical Wiimotes at this point, but this is being worked on as we speak. I rip my games by using my Wii and a rather simple homebrew. I save them on my PC where there are terabytes of space available and I never have to switch disks again.

Obviously it is not yet perfect, but I really wonder as to the reason for your unwarranted hostility to the idea of playing on Dolphin. Particularly since you admit you didn't even try it.

Haunted

Durante said:
Dolphin2009-11-2814-42-30-76.jpg
Best shot so far. Looks fantastic.

edit: local multi doesn't work yet? Well that's a bummer, especially for something like NSMBWii.

Hear that, Nintendo? There's still time for you to release that Wii HD before emulation makes you completely obsolete. :lol

Haunted said:
Best shot so far. Looks fantastic.

edit: local multi doesn't work yet? Well that's a bummer, especially for something like NSMBWii.

Hear that, Nintendo? There's still time for you to release that Wii HD before emulation makes you completely obsolete. :lol

He didn't say local multi didn't work, just that local multiplayer with more than one Wiimote doesn't work. I (assume) local multi with a bunch of 360 or Saturn pads would be fine, not tried it though.

Haunted

brain_stew said:
He didn't say local multi didn't work, just that local multiplayer with more than one Wiimote doesn't work. I (assume) local multi with a bunch of 360 or Saturn pads would be fine, not tried it though.
Ah, ok.

Still kinda useless without the shaking and physicality of the motions done (I assume motion controls would be assigned to buttons on the regular controllers) so my comment still stands. :p

Durante said:
That's the current situation, yes. Multiple physical Wiimotes don't work. There's a lot of development activity in the Wiimote plugin currently though, in part to fix this.
Those emu guys are a bright bunch, they'll find a way.

Durante

brain_stew said:
That's the current situation, yes. Multiple physical Wiimotes don't work. There's a lot of development activity in the Wiimote plugin currently though, in part to fix this.

Perhaps my eyes deceive me, but does that koopa kid (Miyamoto forgive me, I can't remember which one that is. Iggy?) look more cartoony than Mario? Why the inconsistency if so?

If nintendo's next big console is wii backwards compatible I will love to play some of these games in a HD resolution.

Fourth Storm said:
Perhaps my eyes deceive me, but does that koopa kid (Miyamoto forgive me, I can't remember which one that is. Iggy?) look more cartoony than Mario? Why the inconsistency if so?
Looks like some of the textures are very over bright to me, in other mario screens too the same effect is going on.

Kard8p3

Fourth Storm said:

That one is Larry and yeah he does seem a bit more cartoony in that pic. I don't remember it being like that in the game so maybe it's something to do with the emulator.

TheExodu5

Banned
Soneet said:
Kind of sneaky how you first mention about all games, then just ask that question about NSMB only. I'm not falling for that.

So all your games huh? Since I haven't tried the emulator (you know, I own an actual Wii and all), I don't know the exact things about it. So tell me, how do you manage your savegames? How do you play online? And how many times do you have to check if your game is supported by the emulator before running it? How many 'expected' problems have you memorized before playing? Oh, how is your actual, you know, Wiimote working? How's your TV *cough* PC screen? How's local multiplayer? Not playing on PC screen? How's your cable setup with the TV & controller then? How do you rip all the games you buy? Where do you save it all after ripping?

No drawbacks? Really? Really!?!? Why would anyone go through all that hassle if they had a Wii and a new game waiting to be played. Resolution? Come on.

Tell me, how is online working for you on your Wii? :lol

Kard8p3 said:
That one is Larry and yeah he does seem a bit more cartoony in that pic. I don't remember it being like that in the game so maybe it's something to do with the emulator.

Pretty sure it's just a lighting effect.

edit: here's from a Youtube video, it's just an effect:

2jaivpc.jpg

Dabookerman said:
Sup guys, I am totally blind and even I can't tell the difference between the HD and SD version of them. You're all a bunch of HD fanboys. Get a life.

Being blind would tend to, you know, make you less able to see the difference. But thanks for reinforcing that the HD shots look better.

:lol :lol :lol

ector

Neo Member
Fourth Storm said:

It is indeed a strange emulator bug - there are similar problems with the stars and some other objects in Super Mario Galaxy, where no lighting is applied and they get max brightness instead. Many objects in NSMBWii are affected by this problem, but things are in general so bright anyway in the game that the problem really isn't that noticable unless you know it's there.

bee

ector said:
It is indeed a strange emulator bug - there are similar problems with the stars and some other objects in Super Mario Galaxy, where no lighting is applied and they get max brightness instead. Many objects in NSMBWii are affected by this problem, but things are in general so bright anyway in the game that the problem really isn't that noticable unless you know it's there.

ector as in the emu's author?

ArjanN

Fourth Storm said:

I think he's just glowing from being hit/shooting.

TheExodu5

Banned
elrechazao said:
Being blind would tend to, you know, make you less able to see the difference. But thanks for reinforcing that the HD shots look better.

:lol :lol :lol

How did you not catch that sarcasm?

ector said:

I already posted a screenshot as proof that this happens on the Wii as well. It's not a bug...he just happen to be lit up when the shot was taken.

ector

Neo Member
bee said:
ector as in the emu's author?
Yup that's me. I'd say "one of the authors" though because my percentage of the code is steadily decreasing as new people join and make great contributions, which has happened a lot recently. The best place to follow the development is the change log.

TheExodu5 said:
How did you not catch that sarcasm?

I already posted a screenshot as proof that this happens on the Wii as well. It's not a bug...he just happen to be lit up when the shot was taken.

When I say it's an emulator bug, it is an emulator bug, ok? ;-) You can also see it on many other characters in the game - they look a bit "flat".

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
NSMB Wii is the only game other than Galaxy I want to play on the Wii. If I could get this running on my PC I would buy both of those games... Galaxy needs a lot more waggle though, but NSMB looks like I could play with a gamepad?

I have a question... With the recent advances in GPU acceleration, with its multiple cores, would there be any significant speed-up if the emulator went with a GPU acceleration mode? I don't know enough about dynarec emulation to know for myself, but yeah.

Thunderbear said:
NSMB Wii is the only game other than Galaxy I want to play on the Wii. If I could get this running on my PC I would buy both of those games... Galaxy needs a lot more waggle though, but NSMB looks like I could play with a gamepad?
1. There are a few "waggle" specific sections. It requires the tilting of the Wii remote. If you have a real Wii remote with Bluetooth on your PC, I don't think you'll have a problem.

Also, while there is a "shake" button to shake the Wii remote, it doesn't work 80% of the time for New SMB Wii. Once again, a real Wii remote should work well.

2, the emulator doesn't support multiplayer with Wii controllers yet. You'll be missing out on a big part of New SMB Wii if you don't ever play it multiplayer.

3, it's extremely easy to dump your Wii games if you have an actual Wii. Otherwise, you'll need to find someone else's homebrew capable one, or you'll need to find a rare, obscure LG DVD drive.

Haunted

Diablohead said:
If nintendo's next big console is wii backwards compatible I will love to play some of these games in a HD resolution.
I think I'm speaking for everyone with a big HDTV when I say... yes.

rbenchley

Aesius said:
What should I get instead? $120 on a CPU is my limit - although $100 is ideal.
I would get the Phenom II x2 550. Buy a decent aftermarket heatsink/fan and thermal paste and you can overclock it to almost 4gHz. I have this CPU in my HTPC and it does an excellent job of running Dolphin at 1080p with AA and AF.

Firestorm

Soneet said:
Don't jump on his ass like that. I don't see it that clearly either. I normally don't sit as close to the TV as I sit in front of the computer. Try backing up to the correct viewing distance and switch between the pictures and tell me you see a huge difference. Geez, resolution isn't everything you know. I play SF4 on a REDUCED resolution so I can run it at 60 fps. When I play on someone else's Xbox 360 I don't instantly drool. In fact, I see the same game.

By the way, suggesting to play this on the Dolphin instead of the actual Wii just because of the resolution is really fishy, people. The amount of benefits vs drawbacks is so big I can't imagine someone who owns a Wii actually doing it (besides for testing or replaying).
I'm just assuming you don't have an HDTV and haven't seen the jaggy mess that is Wii games on an HDTV.

Psy-Phi

Firestorm said:
I'm just assuming you don't have an HDTV and haven't seen the jaggy mess that is Wii games on an HDTV.
A friend at work had never believed me about how terrible the Wii looks on an HDTV. He finally got an HDTV (58" Panasonic Plasma, I've only got a 40" Sharp Aquos) and he does now.

He did have one revelation though, if you play RE4 and just stand still it looks fine, not as good as on his SDTV but good still. But when you move, the shimmering just makes everything blend into one another and all the details are lost.

Yeah. I'm still trying to find a way to be happy with Wii on my TV. I don't even want to see it on a 58". It actually looks better to me in 480i and not widescreen just because it is a bit blurrier. Need to invest in a scaler that can produce some kind of AA effect. Or figure out how to set up this emulator. Computer goes to the TV anyway so it wouldn't change anything but the pretty factor.

One question for anyone using this. Can I just pop in my Wii games in my disc drive and have at it? If so, time for me to buy a bluetooth adapter and sync a wii mote. I've avoided playing Wii games because they hurt my eyes. Seriously though, it's hard to look at the Wii going from 1080p games on my PC to 720p games on the PS3. I can complain about the jaggies in some PS3 games....

Answering my own question...nope. :( I just got rid of the HBC too. Wasn't using it at all. Oh well. WiiHD can't come soon enough.

Dabookerman said:
Yes, a big yes. Next console with 1080p upscaler. But somehow I feel like they won't do it.

Wait, you mean if the console has a scaler we would get results like these? Are you sure? Wouldn't the next Nintendo console need to render the games at this resolution, versus simply upscaling them?

Arpharmd B said:
Wait, you mean if the console has a scaler we would get results like these? Are you sure? Wouldn't the next Nintendo console need to render the games at this resolution, versus simply upscaling them?

Well yeah.. basically what I want are the results we have in this thread ;p

jett

D-Member
Dabookerman said:
Well yeah.. basically what I want are the results we have in this thread ;p

That'll be hard, Nintendo's next console will have to be considerably more powerful than the Wii.

SOLDIER

Can anyone post their recommended settings for the emulator? I want to give it another shot with the latest version, but I haven't had much luck in the past.

TheExodu5

Banned
jett said:
That'll be hard, Nintendo's next console will have to be considerably more powerful than the Wii.

Not that that should be hard. Bringing it in line with current gen consoles would almost be enough. Of course, Nintendo is Nintendo, so I doubt we'll see decent hardware from them.

sfried

Psy-Phi said:
A friend at work had never believed me about how terrible the Wii looks on an HDTV. He finally got an HDTV (58" Panasonic Plasma, I've only got a 40" Sharp Aquos) and he does now.

He did have one revelation though, if you play RE4 and just stand still it looks fine, not as good as on his SDTV but good still. But when you move, the shimmering just makes everything blend into one another and all the details are lost.
If your reception shimmers, then perhaps you aren't using progressive scan and component/VGA cables, which is why it looks like that.

Signals are everything in an HDTV. Too bad many people are too lazy to get the cables.
TheExodu5 said:
Of course, Nintendo is Nintendo, so I doubt we'll see decent hardware from them.
Dunno about that.

TheExodu5 said:
Not that that should be hard. Bringing it in line with current gen consoles would almost be enough. Of course, Nintendo is Nintendo, so I doubt we'll see decent hardware from them.
Nintendo's had decent hardware up until, like, four years ago. And they failed miserably.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
If only I had a GPU that could handle max AF and AA, Mario Sunshine looks so much better than playing it on the Wii

Edit: Using my super amazing paint skills.

whatthecrap.png

Parts are blurry, hell, even parts of Link vary from clear to blurry :(.

Is there a fix for this? Running SVR 4525

Easy_D said:
If only I had a GPU that could handle max AF and AA, Mario Sunshine looks so much better than playing it on the Wii

Edit: Using my super amazing paint skills.

whatthecrap.png

Parts are blurry, hell, even parts of Link vary from clear to blurry :(.

Is there a fix for this? Running SVR 4525
I never ran into that on earlier builds.

jett said:

Which isn't difficult considering the Wii isn't considerably powerful in the first place. But due to that fact, I pretty much have low faith on any of that happening.

Psy-Phi said:

Yeah. I'm still trying to find a way to be happy with Wii on my TV. I don't even want to see it on a 58". It actually looks better to me in 480i and not widescreen just because it is a bit blurrier. Need to invest in a scaler that can produce some kind of AA effect. Or figure out how to set up this emulator. Computer goes to the TV anyway so it wouldn't change anything but the pretty factor.

I hate to sound like a graphics whore but this is the single reason why I'm reluctant to get a Wii. About 3 months ago I got an HDTV and one of the first things I did was hook up my PS2 and Xbox to "test" it. Jesus christ standard definition does not look good on an HDTV set.

It's the reason why I got a PS3 bundle on BF instead of a Wii. It's a shame. My roommate wants one too. Think I'll get her to buy one instead.

OMG Aero

Firestorm said:
What kind of TVs are you guys playing the Wii on?
I hear this all the time but me and my friends all have HDTVs and component leads and the graphics look great on it.

Top Bottom