• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii emulator can do 720p HD

bridegur said:
To me, Wind Waker looks better than most PS3/360 games at that resolution. Amazing.

I've asked this before and never received a response: are the latest iMacs even close to capable of running Dolphin at decent speeds in Bootcamp?

The Core i5 model is a very good fit, yes. If you're considering on of the other models wait until they're upgraded to core i3/i5 processors (I'd say this even if Dolphin wasn't a priority). If you already have one of the 3ghz Core 2 models, definitely try it out, quite a few games should run decently.

orioto

Good Art™
WTF at those Wind Waked screens... I mean Nitnendo doesn't even have to change a thing to do next iteration in HD. Nothing on Next gen look more cartoony than that.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Reallink said:
Hey Stallion, what build and settings do you use to play WW--particularly to get the widescreen hack to work.
Q9400 clocked at 3.6 ghz, 4 gb ram, 5850 1gb

force widescreen

1080p, 4x SSAA

NO efb to cpu access

YES safe texture cache: fast, efb scaled copy, efb copy to ram

framelimit set to auto

bridegur

brain_stew said:
The Core i5 model is a very good fit, yes. If you're considering on of the other models wait until they're upgraded to core i3/i5 processors (I'd say this even if Dolphin wasn't a priority). If you already have one of the 3ghz Core 2 models, definitely try it out, quite a few games should run decently.

Cool, thanks. I'm planning to wait for the next update before I buy a 27", so that's encouraging.

Azure J

Stallion Free said:
I was kind of bummed that the blur filter was still in the castle frozen in time:

This is tied with the Tower of The Gods for my favorite area in Wind Waker. This picture makes me 'gasm. :lol

Fuck you "fans" for making it so this style will never ever grace a console again. Seriously, fuck you :(

JohnsonUT

It's amazing and unfortunate that there are not more awesome looking cel-shaded and cel-shaded-esque games this gen. Those graphics can be amazing when done right and they allow for some future proofing.

bridegur said:
Cool, thanks. I'm planning to wait for the next update before I buy a 27", so that's encouraging.

Well the current $2k 27" iMac is actually a pretty good deal once you factor in the incredible display. No real need to wait if you're planning on going with that model specifically imo.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Wind Waker and Team Fortress 2 are the best looking cel-shaded games ever. Soooo gooood.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
kiruyama said:
Stallion Free, can you post your settings again? My WW looks a lot blurrier and stretched out than yours :(
You realize you can just scroll up 10 posts to see them right? Force 16:9 and turn on the widescreen hack.

I should be doing hw said:
Zack and Wiki looks better, get your facts straight.
While Zack & Wiki looks amazing (just picked it up yesterday), I think I still prefer WW art style.

Zack%20Wiki%2002.jpg

sfried

bloodforge said:
Not even slightly.
What are talking about? Just because it has phong shading and ambient occulision added doesn't make the kind of shadows implemented any less cel-shaded.

I guess now this is disputing coherence in art-style over graphical techniques. In which case I nominate No More Heroes 2. Compared to the first game, the art direction is much, much tighter.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Zack and Wiki looks better, get your facts straight.

Eh. Zack & Wiki is an amazing looking game, but Wind Waker wins out thanks to the art direction in my opinion.

Zack & Wiki is definitely one of the best GCN/Wii games I've seen upscaled though. The shot a couple of pages back from the lava level, showing a wide view, could easily be mistaken for something on the HD twins.

Anony

Stallion Free: which build are you using, any particular audio you're using

can you rip a gamecube disc using wii usb loader?

Stallion Free said:
While Zack & Wiki looks amazing (just picked it up yesterday), I think I still prefer WW art style.
That screen really isn't indicative of Z&W art style at all though. To each their own I guess, Z&W is the better looking game, I do prefer WW myself though.

selig

Banned
okay, seriously...WHY is TWW STILL the one video game that comes closest to looking like a cartoon/anime, with no other game being anywhere near this level?

TWW´s cel-shading is just so other-worldish-ly gorgeous, I want....more.

Also, this thread kind of proves that HD really is the only thing that separates Wii-games from the other systems.

EatChildren

selig said:
okay, seriously...WHY is TWW STILL the one video game that comes closest to looking like a cartoon/anime, with no other game being anywhere near this level?

TWW´s cel-shading is just so other-worldish-ly gorgeous, I want....more.

The cel-shading effect renders itself in whatever resolution the game is running in, so all of the cel-shaded elements look just as good in 'HD' as they would if made for a HD system. Stuff like the explosions and water effects are good example. They dont appear to be using any sprites to render the effect (like a lot of games do) and instead the shader itself, so it looks fantastic in high resolution.

The overall art direction also scales nicely, because the design isn't based off how many polys its pushing or texture resolution. Exaggerated features on characters give them a defined and recognisable look regardless of the poly count. Same for Team Fortress 2. Everything is really unique and identifiable.

Also, this thread kind of proves that HD really is the only thing that separates Wii-games from the other systems.

The Wii still isn't pushing the same polys, texture resolutions, or amount of shaders the other games are pushing. Even the most pretty games, Wind Waker included, would see extra detail added if they were made for the HD twins. Wind Waker just happens to be a good example of timeless art direction.

Durante

selig said:
Have you seen Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm? IMHO it beats TWW in this department. It certainly is "anywhere near this level".

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
That screen really isn't indicative of Z&W art style at all though. To each their own I guess, Z&W is the better looking game, I do prefer WW myself though.

I don't understand you man, you have been declaring your opinion that Z&W is a better looking game as fact and how is the opening not indicative of the artstyle?

Jocchan said:
Do you still happen to have a 1080p version of this? :O

The raw .bmp: http://public.blu.livefilestore.com...VxFd-afjLg/Dolphin 2010-04-28 15-21-18-44.bmp

Nabs

Anony said:
Stallion Free: which build are you using, any particular audio you're using

can you rip a gamecube disc using wii usb loader?

can't use a usb loader w/ gc discs, but there are homebrew apps for the job. they can rip to sd or even wifi. my sd card doesn't have much room so i use wifi, it takes some time though. wind waker took about an hr, maybe a bit longer. i'm not sure which programs are the best, but we're testing an old one called wii dvd dumper.

[Nintex]

The strange thing is that no TV, emulator, upscaler etc. can make Twilight Princess look good at all times. Yet the Wind Waker looks good on emulators, CRT TV's, LCD TV's and hell even 5 inch black and white TV's.

What the hell Aonuma, hire some texture artists for Zelda Wii ffs.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Minsc said:
Did the Gamecube run it at 60 or 30?

30. If you turn off the frame limiter (mine is set to auto), it will go higher than 30 fps, but it runs at faster than 100% speed. It's really obvious in the music as soon as it starts up.

dino1980

EatChildren said:
Wind Waker and Team Fortress 2 are the best looking cel-shaded games ever. Soooo gooood.

Nah Eternal Sonata looks alot bether. But thats maybe just me.

Zelda WW does look really nice, just sad I just got a Macbook :/.

eternal-sonata-20070314011230093.jpg

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
LegendOfGood said:
Stallion Free, thanks for keeping this thread alive with such sweet goodness! I check this thread every time I see it bumped.

Haha, I'm glad people appreciate it. Nabs and I are thinking about letting this die soon so that we can create an Official Dolphin thread complete with guides to set up Dolphin and guides for each game we try out/finish that include screens. I'm going start writing it up this weekend, but I probably won't post the thread until after I finish Wind Waker and start my next game (MadWorld or Twilight Princess).

Stallion Free said:
Haha, I'm glad people appreciate it. Nabs and I are thinking about letting this die soon so that we can create an Official Dolphin thread complete with guides to set up Dolphins and guides for each game we try out/finish that include screens. I'm going start writing it up this weekend, but I probably won't post the thread until after I finish Wind Waker and start my next game (MadWorld or Twilight Princess).
The current thread title is pretty lacking.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
orioto said:
WTF at those Wind Waked screens... I mean Nitnendo doesn't even have to change a thing to do next iteration in HD. Nothing on Next gen look more cartoony than that.

I do hope most people realize that cartoony games are the best candidates for simply rendering at a higher resolution and with better AA/filtering and come out beautiful. There's no fine detail to worry about. Wind Waker, Zack and Wiki, and Red Steel looks gorgeous for sure, but most detailed GC/Wii games like Twilight Princess and others -- while still looking a lot better compared to their original low res, little AA and filtering offerings -- still fall behind todays standards graphics wise.

Having said that, I am really enjoying playing GC/Wii/PS2 games in HD with great AA and texture filtering. Wind Waker has such a beautiful art style and the cartoony look just makes it a perfect upgrade. Looks fantastic.

The Wii just isn't for me only because I want the high(er) resolution textures, better AA, filtering, shaders and screen resolution. I also feel all developers on PS3/360 should make image quality their #1 priority. Take any HD game and take away the AA and it looks horrendous. That new Ninja Theory game is looking really bad at the moment because the screenshots they are releasing makes it look like the game has no AA. Art direction looks fine.

A gorgeous game is so easily ruined by bad AA and filtering. PC gaming is great but obviously very expensive and can be cumbersome when upgrading. But still very happy to have it so I can run PS2, GC and Wii games in HD!

Stallion Free said:
Haha, I'm glad people appreciate it. Nabs and I are thinking about letting this die soon so that we can create an Official Dolphin thread complete with guides to set up Dolphin and guides for each game we try out/finish that include screens. I'm going start writing it up this weekend, but I probably won't post the thread until after I finish Wind Waker and start my next game (MadWorld or Twilight Princess).

It shall be appreciated. I haven't tried it in a while so has performance actually been improving with newer builds or is it just getting more compatible and less glitchy? Is a 3.4ghz Q6600 upto the task yet? It was borderline for a lot of games last time I tried.

Schlomo

Now this doesn't make sense. Metroid Prime used to run perfect on my PC, 60 fps all the way. Yesterday I tried a new Dolphin revision and I'm getting massive tearing. If I turn on VSync it stutters and drops frames like crazy.

Naturally I tried it in the older revision again, and the tearing is there too! Now what could have caused this? And don't say that I just didn't notice it before, because I'm really sensitive to tearing and played the game quite a lot back then. I'm pretty sure I never had VSync turned on then.

And now other games in Dolphin are tearing too, though not as much as Metroid. I tried to fix it with Triple Buffering through D3DOverrider, but that doesn't seem to do anything for Dolphin. According to 3DMark, my overall system performance hasn't dropped.

I can't think of any global setting that could be responsible. It must have been a Windows or Catalyst/GPU drivers update that did it, right? Damn, I hate PCs when something like this happens.

orioto

Good Art™
Thunderbear said:
I do hope most people realize that cartoony games are the best candidates for simply rendering at a higher resolution and with better AA/filtering and come out beautiful. There's no fine detail to worry about. Wind Waker, Zack and Wiki, and Red Steel looks gorgeous for sure, but most detailed GC/Wii games like Twilight Princess and others -- while still looking a lot better compared to their original low res, little AA and filtering offerings -- still fall behind todays standards graphics wise.

Having said that, I am really enjoying playing GC/Wii/PS2 games in HD with great AA and texture filtering. Wind Waker has such a beautiful art style and the cartoony look just makes it a perfect upgrade. Looks fantastic.

The Wii just isn't for me only because I want the high(er) resolution textures, better AA, filtering, shaders and screen resolution. I also feel all developers on PS3/360 should make image quality their #1 priority. Take any HD game and take away the AA and it looks horrendous. That new Ninja Theory game is looking really bad at the moment because the screenshots they are releasing makes it look like the game has no AA. Art direction looks fine.

A gorgeous game is so easily ruined by bad AA and filtering. PC gaming is great but obviously very expensive and can be cumbersome when upgrading. But still very happy to have it so I can run PS2, GC and Wii games in HD!

I agree with that completely.
What i meant is that artistic direction is all. Wind Waked HD is the proof that you can make something fabulous while not killing an HD machine, and even having range for perfect image quality and probably many many models on the screen, and large scale area...

selig

Banned
Keep the TWW-shots up, absolutely stunning. Thank you.

dino1980 said:
Nah Eternal Sonata looks alot bether. But thats maybe just me.

eternal-sonata-20070314011230093.jpg

The main point why TWW is a lot more impressive to me is that it looks like a real cartoon...or comes as close as no other games.
If you take games like Eternal Sonata, Tales of Vesperia or Okami, the also look nice...but not like a cartoon. They look too "3D", if that makes any sense. TWW´s use of colors and borders of colors is just near-perfect for simulating the look of a real cartoon/anime.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
OMG Aero said:
What specs are you running that on Stallion Free? It looks amazing.
He replied to this question in this same page:
Stallion Free said:
Q9400 clocked at 3.6 ghz, 4 gb ram, 5850 1gb

force widescreen

1080p, 4x SSAA

NO efb to cpu access

YES safe texture cache: fast, efb scaled copy, efb copy to ram

framelimit set to auto

Top Bottom