• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii emulator can do 720p HD

Ledsen

Kenka said:
zvbmgp.jpg

I see you and raise you with

b3ptnn.gif

Durante

.:Wesker:. said:
Guys, can't you replace textures in Dolphin now? Why hasn't anyone experimented with that yet?

In theory, couldn't someone dump the textures for the HUD elements in WW, remake them so that when the widescreen hack stretches them to 16:9 they look proper, and have Dolphin load them?
The theory is sound: (Look at the hearts. While I was at it I also increased the resolution by a factor of 9)

gzlp01-294nd.jpg

(though I had to fix hires texture loading first: http://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/source/detail?r=5428)

Anony

i cant run WW at full speed, i gets 20s in the open areas

is there any way to have the frame rate internally be 30fps while displaying at the current fps (if anyone understood that)

Durante

This thread forced me to spend all day playing Wind Waker :/

There have been many screenshots already but I can't resist adding a few.

gzlp01-12jg9t.jpg

gzlp01-18xhsm.jpg

Maaseru

Banned
So I'm wondering how do you get WW to look like that? This thread got me excited and I got Dolphin and am playing WW, but it doesn;t look as good as these shots, aparte from the Link and some close stuuf it kinda looks a bit bluury not so sharp as these shots.

So does this have higher res textures?
How do I do it ? COuld some one give me the know-how?

Rekubot

Maaseru said:
So I'm wondering how do you get WW to look like that? This thread got me excited and I got Dolphin and am playing WW, but it doesn;t look as good as these shots, aparte from the Link and some close stuuf it kinda looks a bit bluury not so sharp as these shots.

There are lots of ways to get rid of the depth of field blur. Start here: http://www.dolphin-emulator.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Legend_of_Zelda:_The_Wind_Waker

yanhero

Maaseru said:

Did you change the resolution? Sounds like you may have left it at 640x480.

Maaseru

Banned
I'm working out te changes in config, and have the res at 1680*1050. Still how do it get to look like those screenshots? All the lines so crisp and HD-ey

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Durante said:

gzlp01-12jg9t.jpg
I've always wondered what that weird thing is supposed to be. It sorta resembles an egg.
Maybe it's cut content.

Amazing pictures btw :D

yanhero

Maaseru said:
I'm working out te changes in config, and have the res at 1680*1050. Still how do it get to look like those screenshots? All the lines so crisp and HD-ey

Theres two resolution, one for window mode, and one for full screen mode, did you change both to 1680*1050?

WillyFive

Easy_D said:
I've always wondered what that weird thing is supposed to be. It sorta resembles an egg.
Maybe it's cut content.

Amazing pictures btw :D

I don't know, but at least it was used for something, unlike that book in Super Mario Sunshine that was left lying there on the bottom of the beach.

Willy105 said:
I don't know, but at least it was used for something, unlike that book in Super Mario Sunshine that was left lying there on the bottom of the beach.
That book pisses me off. They really need to include it in a water level in Galaxy 2 just to ease our pain.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Durante said:

:lol :lol Some of those shots are pretty much replicas of mine.

Question: Can Dolphin emulate an overclocked Gamecube? Someone did this with an N64 emulator to get games that typically run at low framerates (Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, and Jet Force Gemini come to mind) to run full speed or even at a fluid 60 fps.

I've been playing Wind Waker and I've noticed that if I take off the framelimiter, my framerate gets pretty close 60 fps. Would it be too much to hope that some day we can all play Wind Waker in HD AND at 60 fps?

dolphin2010-02-2805-25vuk3.jpg

dolphin2010-02-2805-3665zo.jpg

dolphin2010-02-2805-37yuk6.jpg

dolphin2010-02-2805-42m6xa.jpg

Vinlaen

I really wish that Little King's Story didn't consistently freeze every few seconds :(

Also, how does Twilight Princess compare to The Wind Waker? I've already beaten TWW but never played TP...

It's amazing that no matter how many times we see this damn game, we still get impressed with it. It truly is a timeless classic.

Vinlaen said:
I really wish that Little King's Story didn't consistently freeze every few seconds :(

Also, how does Twilight Princess compare to The Wind Waker? I've already beaten TWW but never played TP...
TP has a really slow start, but once you break into it, its a really great game. I will say that the wolf sections bring it down for the most part though, as they aren't as well put together as the rest of the game. The bosses are damn epic as well.

forrest

formerly nacire
And another.

Damn skin texture disappears at the most random moments.

It happens when you have the bloom disabled and you either load from town to moga woods or a quest zone or after a cutscene plays.

I agree with Tenbatsu that it would look better if the bloom rendered properly, but unfortunately it doesn't for now. The game reminds me of the psp versions without, which isn't terrible. I've been playing single player strictly on Dolphin and now I'm jumping on the Wii for multiplayer. I'm finding it really hard to go from 1080 to 480 with this title. It's a jaggy fest. No pun intended.

Luigiv

nacire said:
It happens when you have the bloom disabled and you either load from town to moga woods or a quest zone or after a cutscene plays.

I agree with Tenbatsu that it would look better if the bloom rendered properly, but unfortunately it doesn't for now. The game reminds me of the psp versions without, which isn't terrible. I've been playing single player strictly on Dolphin and now I'm jumping on the Wii for multiplayer. I'm finding it really hard to go from 1080 to 480 with this title. It's a jaggy fest. No pun intended.
Whilst certainly Jaggier than it's emulated counterpart, it's not that bad. The game does have included AA (thankfully).

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
DarkUSS said:
How does REmake play on the dolphin emulator?
I've always wanted to play this game.

Here's a couple shots from the opening. The game runs at the 30 fps limit in some areas, but will drop into the teens in others. Cutscenes usually drop in fps quite a bit.

Resident%20Evil%2002.jpg

Resident%20Evil%2003.jpg

Resident%20Evil%2004.jpg

Two of my three favorite games graphically on one page(wind waker and REmake). All we need is Metroid Prime to show up and I'll have lived life. Those models in REmake are still completely insane.

[Nintex]

Vinlaen said:

TP is awesome, the dungeons are amazing. The only problem is that Koizumi took all the good texture artists with him to form EAD Tokyo after TWW was finished. The music is a bit 'meh' at some parts as well.

Luigiv

[Nintex] said:
TP is awesome, the dungeons are amazing. The only problem is that Koizumi took all the good texture artists with him to form EAD Tokyo after TWW was finished. The music is a bit 'meh' at some parts as well.
No, they're not. They were very sub par.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
The REmake still looks incredible.

Luigiv said:
No, they're not. They were very sub par.
He's talking about Twilight Princess. Dungeons and bosses were the very best thing the game had to offer, if they're subpar then what about everything else?

Durante

You mind sharing your new heart texture?
I should be doing hw said:
??? What is this magic? More details and a thorough explanation please!

No problem, I personally don't use it (and don't really recommend using it) right now since I find it distracting to have high-res hearts and low-res on all other GUI elements.

Here's the zip with the heart textures. You need to place them in the (dolphin)\User\Load\Textures\GZLP01 folder (GZLP01 is the ID of TWW).

If anyone else wants to do more GUI elements the principle is pretty simple -- it's the amount of work required that is off-putting: first you enable texture dumping in the graphics plugin settings, then you play the game, look in the (dolphin)\User\Dump\Textures folder for the ones you want to replace and put the replacements in the Load folder.

Oh, and use a dolphin revision of 5428 or newer.

forrest

formerly nacire
New Dolphin Build includes a Bloom Offset fix for Monster Hunter Tri. It looks much better now! The build and instructions can be found here.

mhb183em.jpg

mhb2a0dx.jpg

mhb3x0cr.jpg

Luigiv

Jocchan said:
He's talking about Twilight Princess. Dungeons and bosses were the very best thing the game had to offer, if they're subpar then what about everything else?
The bosses were alright (creative but way too easy), the dungeons sucked though. Seriously, they were short, linear and had way less puzzles and a lot more "clear the room to move on" then a Zelda dungeon should (An obvious attempt to appeal to the Halo playing casual frat-boy crowd). The dungeons were definitely the weakest aspect of the game.

nacire said:
New Dolphin Build includes a Bloom Offset fix for Monster Hunter Tri. It looks much better now! The build and instructions can be found here.
Sweet. Still not perfect though.

Top Bottom