• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii emulator can do 720p HD

eosos

Banned
If you want me to keep doing this that'd be cool. The island with the lava coming out of it a couple pages back would be a nice one :D

Red

Finally got Echoes working on the latest version of Dolphin by disabling dual core. Takes a big performance hit, but at least I can play it.

23vmicx.jpg

1rop52.jpg

It runs between 1/2 and 3/4 speed most of the time (rarely runs full speed). I'm on a 5870 and an i7 920 OCed to 3.5 GHz. Hopefully the performance improves over the next few revisions.

Red

Played around some more. D3D9 plugin doubles performance in Echoes over OpenGL, but breaks all in-game text. D3D9 also has random stuttering issues. But it runs the game at 50+ fps pretty consistently, which really helps the experience.

I find OpenGL produces better IQ, but it's really tough playing the game at half speed.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Willy105 said:
Current gen then.

Mostly serious....

Mostly ignorant

If you think titles like Gears of War 2, Uncharted 2 and God of War 3 look nothing other than PS2/Gamecube in HD then I guess you don't really care about graphics that much.

Nabs

i'm getting 60fps w/ echoes & dx9, but i am unable to scan anything :(

it looks so good.

you don't have to disable dual core rendering if you right click the game and enable the fibo hack. i dont know if that's the thing breaking scanning, but i'll look into it. it's probably the efb to texture, i'll see if i can switch to ram w/o crashing the program.

edit: oh wow, the game runs even better w/ ram. i'll play through the beginning and see if it's just a fluke.

Nabs

Echoes:

So far, so great (Still early). The game runs extremely well @ 60fps. My settings:

General: Enable Dual Core, Enable Idle Skipping, JIT Recompiler, Lock threads to cores, DSPLLE on thread, Framelimit: 60 (FPS)

Gfx: DX9, no Vsync, 2.25xSSAA, Enable CPU > EFB, Safe Texture Cache, 16xAF, EFB Scaled Copy, Enable EFB to Ram, Enable XFB (not real).

Audio: HLE w/ no throttling.

Last but not least: Right click the game before launching it, and make sure FIBO BP Hack is enabled. (Might have to click the box 2-3 times for the check to appear).

PC: i7 860 (stock) / 4gb Ram / 5850.

bridegur

Stallion Free said:
The Earth Temple:

Oi oi oi. Please continue, and when you're done with it, I'd love to see playthroughs of Galaxy and WR: Blue Storm. You alone may push me to buy a PC instead of an iMac for my next computer.

Erebus

I gave it a try at last.

re4e08-3e4q7.jpg

re4e08-9t4wc.jpg

re4e08-731bx.jpg

So far the fps has been stable at 30fps. It rarely dips to 20fps for a few seconds in big areas with complex lighting.

Nabs

F-Zero @ 60FPS. Not the best screens, I'm just excited to play it at 60 w/ no shadow problems. Click to enlarge (and for fps):

DX9, EFB > Ram

[Nintex]

The Earth Temple is such a mess compared to the rest of TWW. It's like they build it in a single weekend and they forgot to add the proper textures. Also F-Zero GX... OMG

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
DarkUSS said:
So far the fps has been stable at 30fps. It rarely dips to 20fps for a few seconds in big areas with complex lighting.

Yeah this morning I was look into it and I figured out a config that delivers this performance so I might just put MadWorld on hold and play this after I finish Wind Waker. I'm playing the Archives Edition, so I'm not 100% sure if the GC version will get the same performance, but I just for 4:3 mode (the game pillar boxes if you don't so this saves me the cropping time) and play at 1600x1200 with 4xSSAA. These shots are downsampled to 900p. The black bars are present because all shots were taken during cutscenes and I like my shots to have a consistent 900p height so I won't crop those out.

Resident%20Evil%2005.jpg

Resident%20Evil%2006.jpg

Resident%20Evil%2007.jpg

Wind Waker and REmake (?) look fantastic! My GC is sitting in it's box right now but I wish I had a PC that could run the emulator so I could pop RE and WW in again... and MP1 and ...

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
darkwings said:
this thread need a title change. 1080p sounds more correct.
An all-new Dolphin official thread, with more recent information in the OP, possibly some media and information about requirements/where to fetch recent builds, would probably make more sense.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Jocchan said:
An all-new Dolphin official thread, with more recent information in the OP, possibly some media and information about requirements/where to fetch recent builds, would probably make more sense.

One is in the works and will be posted on my completion of Wind Waker.

Metalmurphy said:
Hey Stallion Free, do areas with animated CG backgrounds look ok for you in Resident Evil? They're all messed up on my PC >.<

Yeah, they look fine for me. About as nice as they can look upscaled. They animate properly as well.

Red

Nabs said:
Echoes:

So far, so great (Still early). The game runs extremely well @ 60fps. My settings:

General: Enable Dual Core, Enable Idle Skipping, JIT Recompiler, Lock threads to cores, DSPLLE on thread, Framelimit: 60 (FPS)

Gfx: DX9, no Vsync, 2.25xSSAA, Enable CPU > EFB, Safe Texture Cache, 16xAF, EFB Scaled Copy, Enable EFB to Ram, Enable XFB (not real).

Audio: HLE w/ no throttling.

Last but not least: Right click the game before launching it, and make sure FIBO BP Hack is enabled. (Might have to click the box 2-3 times for the check to appear).

PC: i7 860 (stock) / 4gb Ram / 5850.
Thanks for trying that out. I'll adjust my settings in a bit to see if I get the same results. I really hope I do :lol

Stallion: how did you get through Dragon Roost island? I'm near the boss, but the centipede-like fire enemies drain all of my PC's memory. Is there a fix?

Nabs: just tried your settings for Echoes. It is now near-perfect. Stutters only during a few effects (smoke, explosions), and is otherwise a pristine 9x SSAA'd HD emulation of the original.

You are truly a god among men.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Crunched said:
Stallion: how did you get through Dragon Roost island? I'm near the boss, but the centipede-like fire enemies drain all of my PC's memory. Is there a fix?

Not that I know of, I didn't run into that problem. Are you on the 64-bit Dolphin?

ymmv said:
If only Nintendo had stuck three Gamecubes together with ductape instead of a louse two, then we'd all be enjoying 720p visuals.
Nah, you'd still be stuck with 480p.

it's said you need 4 times the power and 10 times the fillrate to do the same thing you do in SD... in 1080p. Plus, that wouldn't really help anyway since flipper (GC's GPU) just wasn't designed to pull more than that resolution, meaning you'd have to revamp it in a big way, instead of just overclocking it.

That revamping technically took place years ago and is called R300 (aka ATi 9700), since that project was leaded by the ArtX team that did Flipper in the first place.

Resolution doesn't bother me at all, but they sure could have added a bigger framebuffer to avoid needing to dither and pacing way to more games using Anti Aliasing and... they could have tried to put in some way to make free AA of sorts for all games. (N64 had a chip called pixel drawer within the GPU for that means, although the results weren't fantastic)

Nabs

Crunched said:
Thanks for trying that out. I'll adjust my settings in a bit to see if I get the same results. I really hope I do :lol

i didn't run into that problem either.

Red

Stallion Free said:
Not that I know of, I didn't run into that problem. Are you on the 64-bit Dolphin?
Yeah, 64 bit. Everything else is perfect, but as soon as one of those monsters appears on screen I literally get a slideshow with about three seconds on each frame. Did you get undulating black boxes in place of the heat distortion throughout Dragon Roost? I'll try messing with my settings to see what I can come up with.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Crunched said:
Yeah, 64 bit. Everything else is perfect, but as soon as one of those monsters appears on screen I literally get a slideshow with about three seconds on each frame. Did you get undulating black boxes in place of the heat distortion throughout Dragon Roost? I'll try messing with my settings to see what I can come up with.

No, I just get heatwaves that are have hard edges instead of being wavy and soft, almost like tearing.

god Nintendo.. i'd kill to play some of your titles in hd. and i don't just mean resolution. Imagine Zelda HD and Metroid HD with textures and image processing quality (not artstyle mind you) as seen on PS3 exclusives.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
FoxHimself said:
Stop posting .jpgs :(

PNG all the way!

You wouldn't be able to tell a difference between a .png and .jpg I post. I take my shots at 1080p with 4x SSAA in as raw .bmps. The file is about 5mb average. Then I downsample in photoshop to 900p and save in the highest quality jpeg which drops file size down to around 1mb and has no loss in visual quality. I'm not going to waste peoples bandwidth for no difference. And don't you dare try to tell me that you can tell a difference.

Always-honest said:
god Nintendo.. i'd kill to play some of your titles in hd. and i don't just mean resolution. Imagine Zelda HD and Metroid HD with textures and image processing quality (not artstyle mind you) as seen on PS3 exclusives.

...and you will, just not this gen.

Erebus

Metalmurphy said:
So it looks nothing like this?

http://www.livestream.com/xfire_metalmurphy/video?clipId=pla_4df8de45-d2dd-43d9-be77-2ac33861f8c4 (advance to 52:40)

What build are you using?
I'm using revision 5430 and I haven't seen anything like this so far. If you encounter problems, try using this settings:

-General Tab:
* Basic settings - check "Enable Dual Core" and "Enable Idle Skipping"
* Advanced settings - check "HLE the IPL" and "JIT recompiler"
* Aspect ratio ........................................ 4:3
* Anti-alias mode: ................................... 4x SSAA
* Enable CPU->EFB access ........................ Unchecked
-DX9 - Enhancements Tab:
* Force bi/trilinear filtering ........................ Checked
* Enable 16x anisotropy filtering ................. Checked
* EFB Scaled copy ................................... Checked
-DX9 - Advanced Tab:
* EFB copy to ......................................... Texture

Red

Stallion Free said:
No, I just get heatwaves that are have hard edges instead of being wavy and soft, almost like tearing.
Hm, not sure what the problem is with my set up. I'll update later if I find the culprit.

Top Bottom