• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii emulator can do 720p HD

JADS

S&P2: Game can look pretty nice if it wants to. It still crashes the emulator after every level though :lol

Medalion

Banned
I'm giving Dolphin another go since I got a new computer. i5 3.2ghz 64-bit win 7 home premium 8GB RAM geforce gtx 260

Are there other graphic / audio plugins I can download that would be better than the ones preinstalled with the latest build of Dolphins?

I've been giving Wind Waker a go, and the sound skips/goes out of sync, I can't even start the game, the intro cinema plays at wrong speed to the music and I cannot get to when Link wakes up. It's frustrating...

Fitz

Medalion said:
Are there other graphic / audio plugins I can download that would be better than the ones preinstalled with the latest build of Dolphins?

I've been giving Wind Waker a go, and the sound skips/goes out of sync, I can't even start the game, the intro cinema plays at wrong speed to the music and I cannot get to when Link wakes up. It's frustrating...

Wind Waker still has unsolved sound problems unfortunately, although from my experience it's only the background music during non-interactive cutscenes that ever cause problem, and it's usually bearable. Is the game's speed to fast? As in does it say it's running at over 100%? Or possibly much less. Check that you don't have Audio Throttle on, and also make sure you've got the Framelimit set to Auto (or 60/50 I suppose).

Medalion

Banned
Thanks, I can now get to the actual gameplay... I am running in 1600x1200 and works at around 30fps on average but it dips when a lot of shit happens on screen. I am really hating and forgetting about the pixelization trick to denote depth of field effect this game had... I know there is some way to turn that off from some of the screens posted in here, any ideas?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Medalion said:
Thanks, I can now get to the actual gameplay... I am running in 1600x1200 and works at around 30fps on average but it dips when a lot of shit happens on screen. I am really hating and forgetting about the pixelization trick to denote depth of field effect this game had... I know there is some way to turn that off from some of the screens posted in here, any ideas?

Graphics settings > copy cpu to efb toggle off.

cacildo

Regulus Tera said:
Treasure = <3

Sure, their character models suck, but I luuuuv the architecture and enemy design. Plus, colours!

You know, i cant understand anything about this game. Why this guy wears kid´s pants? Why does he have a soccer ball in his back?

Maybe when i play it all the mistery vanishes.

Medalion

Banned
Nabs said:
yikes... medalion, you gotta tweak some settings there.
I wouldn't doubt it, but the aliasing jaggies is because I sharpened the image after it was taken and I used no antialiasing in the game itself.

Fitz

Have you tried running with any levels of SSAA? With your system you should be able to run with at least 2.25x SSAA without fps loss. For comparison I have a 5770 which is almost on par with the 260 and the only time I get slowdown with SSAA is when there are a large number of NPC's grouped together.

Durante

Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance works perfectly. It's a real GPU performance hog for a GC game though -- I can only use 2.25x SSAA at 960x720.

gdee71-16ny6m.jpg

gdee71-583xfb.jpg

gdee71-9aakc.jpg

gdee71-50bxkv.jpg

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Medalion said:
http://i42.tinypic.com/96gqi8.jpg[IMG]
I took this from Dolphin, this is pretty much how it looks on mine...

This image was PNG but the damn site converted to jpg[/QUOTE]
You're doing something wrong, man. It doesn't look rendered at high resolution, and it's most certainly not because of sharpen filters or jpeg compression. I think there's some checkbox around to render (or not render, can't remember now) at the Wii/GCN's native resolution, maybe you should give a look to your settings.

EDIT: by the way, tinypic didn't convert it to jpg. It just changed the extension, but it's still a png.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Link Man said:
Unless this is a joke, you just admitted to a desire for piracy. You still need the BIOS for the emulator to work, and obtaining them in any way other than a dump from the hardware is theft.

I would assume that those posting in the thread already own a Wii/Gamecube.

You don't need a BIOS and even if you did, the only reason why it would be "theft" would be because of draconian anti-reverse engineering laws preventing emulator programmers from being able to implement the BIOS themselves.

From a moral point of view, I don't know why anyone in the world would feel as though they committed a wrong by downloading a BIOS.

JADS

Naked Snake said:
JADS, could you have chosed any more sterile screenshots? How about some with explosions, lasers, and stuff? :)

Bullet hell enough for you :lol

cacildo said:
Thanks! Can you show more levels?

I haven't gotten that far in the game, yet. I am playing on max difficulty and the game pretty much kicking my ass. These are screenshots from the first two levels. I have kept spoilers to a minimum. As a bonus, here is 720P video at 60 FPS with narm voice acting. Well it drops frames here and there, my harddrive struggles with FRPAS encoding at 720P@60FPS, 1080P@60FPS in combination with FRAPS is impossible :lol

Medalion

Banned
Jocchan said:
You're doing something wrong, man. It doesn't look rendered at high resolution, and it's most certainly not because of sharpen filters or jpeg compression. I think there's some checkbox around to render (or not render, can't remember now) at the Wii/GCN's native resolution, maybe you should give a look to your settings.

EDIT: by the way, tinypic didn't convert it to jpg. It just changed the extension, but it's still a png.
Also I should mention the screenshot was pumped out at 1280x960 from the Dolphin program itself and I resized the picture to 1600x1200 (because that is what I play the game in), so yeah, forgot to mention that. So all this with artificial sharpening and switching from bmp to PNG, there is quality loss for sure. No Antialiasing... I will work on this some more when I get back home from work today.

Fitz

I just spent about 2 hours trying to get the last Photo of the couple looking at each other for the Pictograph guy but apparently there is/was some bug preventing it from working. After trying about every possible different setting for Dolphin I could and nothing working I'm officially too pissed off to play Wind Waker any more.

Dascu

Stallion Free said:
I know you have all scene Killer7 before, but these screens had such a nice pop to them that I couldn't not post them:

http://zuupqw.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pll3G7nLlmCN-hGHJ-OeRMgF07e97PTYsrfMFM39gPq7XwmxrTl9A_QB3RE-G-L3fJYjtdji1dR9MvDBoJbvz22P-Hq1OX_40/Killer7%2002.jpg[img]

[img]http://zuupqw.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pRBH71b1epjrZEFVl2p2IV_XmueNeDWbfQe6EiFIcwG-m65cmYHpkN6XOOALHkelwUEbsbGl5_w9Er6eIzRrITw9SfB6705Ra/Killer7%2003.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
Mind sharing the exact settings? Build you're using? Do you get any issues? Sound and music play alright? 'Cause, I'm having some issues. Shadows aren't displaying properly for one.

Fitz

Medalion said:
I'm pissed I can't save states and have to watch the long intro I can;'t skip

Is there a reason you specifically can't save states? I've been using it for a few hours now trying to get the damned picture and haven't had any issues with it.

Medalion

Banned
When I try to save the state, it doesn't say it doesn't work but when I try to load from it, it never finds the state in the directory it shoulda saved to, and yes I check for all files in that directory, it's not there.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Naked Snake said:
Youtube supports 60fps videos? I didn't know that.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't. Once it uploads that 60 fps is gone. It's similar to how tinypic will take your image and shits all over the quality.

Fitz

Random update in case anyone else runs into the same problem, on Wind Waker, running with the OpenGL plugin solved my problem with the Pictograph quest, there is a few second pause when taking the picture, almost like it's going to crash, but it worked and I got the quest done, meaning I just need the firefly and I can start getting colour pictures for the Nintendo Gallery. Something I never finished back on the GC.

Medalion

Banned
Nevermind I got save states to work. I think I have gotten the game as sharp and as high-res I can, just that screenshot from before was terribly deformed.

Nabs

Medalion said:
Nevermind I got save states to work. I think I have gotten the game as sharp and as high-res I can, just that screenshot from before was terribly deformed.

you could just save in game, unless thats what you're talking about

Medalion

Banned
I think I got a combination of settings that works best for me, i can run wind waker without much slowdown at full resolution, and some antialising. I think this screenshot looks better in widescreen too

gzle012.png

Mr_Zombie

Why are those background so pixelated (Zero) or blurry (REmake)? I remember playing REmake at my friend's PC and it looked much better. Someone even posted few screenshots from REmake here and backgrounds weren't so blurry.

Rich!

Mr_Zombie said:
Why are those background so pixelated (Zero) or blurry (REmake)? I remember playing REmake at my friend's PC and it looked much better. Someone even posted few screenshots from REmake here and backgrounds weren't so blurry.

Maybe it's not set up right?

LRB1983

Banned
Mr_Zombie said:
Fog effect, Anisotropy, Native Mips and bi/trilinear filter. But how Diablohead posted upscale prerendered backgrounds 480p to 1080p it's a crime xD.

Red

Home for summer and I have my PC hooked up to my little brother's 30" Apple LCD Cinema Display. I've been playing Wind Waker at a pants ripping 2560x1600 with 16xQ CSAA and slowdown only in a few very select areas.

It's amazing what Dolphin can do.

Red

Medalion said:
I'm still running Wind Waker with the Direct3D9 plugin, I am not sure if it's necessarily better in OpenGL plugin.
I've tried both for WW. Similar performance with each. Might be my imagination, but I think OpenGL gives better IQ.

Nabs

Medalion said:
I'm still running Wind Waker with the Direct3D9 plugin, I am not sure if it's necessarily better in OpenGL plugin.
maybe its just me, but the game turns into a blurry mess w/ OpenGL when there's rain on the screen.

asdad123

So whatre the best settings for this emulator? I want to try it out :D
Specs: P7350 OCed to 2.4GHz, 4gb, 260m GTX

Nabs said:
maybe its just me, but the game turns into a blurry mess w/ OpenGL when there's rain on the screen.
I just tried playing windwaker and the objects in the distance are a blurry mess with both OpenGL and Direct3D9. Any fix?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
asdad123 said:
So whatre the best settings for this emulator? I want to try it out :D
Specs: P7350 OCed to 2.4GHz, 4gb, 260m GTX

It changes from game to game from the most part, but I'm working on a thread that explains all the stuff you will need to work with in the emulator and solid starting settings to use before tweaking.

Speaking of which, sorry I missed posting the new Official Thread this weekend guys, I was working all day today (Mother's day sucks at restaurants). Maybe by Tuesday it will be finished? I did finish a ton on Saturday night. Nabs has been giving me positive feedback on the progress so far :D

asdad123 said:
I just tried playing windwaker and the objects in the distance are a blurry mess with both OpenGL and Direct3D9. Any fix?

Use D3D9 and turn off CPU>EFB Access.

cacildo

Dragon ball? We´re looking even at the smaller games, eh? This goku model looks amazing in HD.

If smaller games are in the day´s order, can we see Modern Warfare?

Top Bottom