• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii - European launch

8bit

Knows the Score
Suerte said:
I'm going to try my luck at some 24 hour Tesco's on Thursday night, my flatmate works for them so we'll get 10% off :D

I'd start with the one in Pollok were I looking for one. It's the biggest Tesco in the universe.

ninge

kojacker where is your pre-order from? just been told i wont get mine until the second shipment so if you are passing on yours id be interested!

kojacker

ninge said:
where is your pre-order from? just been told i wont get mine until the second shipment so if you are passing on yours id be interested!
I've someone in mind, but I'll keep you informed if he doesn't need it.

It's from Amazon

Dispatch estimate for these items: 7 Dec 2006
Delivery estimate: 8 Dec 2006 - 9 Dec 2006

1 "Nintendo Wii Console (Includes Wii Sports)"
Video Game; £179.99

1 "Wii Play (includes Wiimote controller) (Wii)"
Video Game; £32.99

1 "The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii)"
Video Game; £34.99

r4z4

On Oxford Street in London there is a GAME store on the top floor of Debenhams, that is usually a good shout for stuff on launch day, I bought both my GBA SP and DSlite from there on launch day with no problems.

I would say thats probably your best bet for anyone who hasn't pre-ordered a Wii.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
My online dealer (spielegrotte.de) just sent a mail concerning his initial shipments. He will get 37 Wii units, 37 copies of Zelda and 37 copies of Wii play. He also stated that there will be NO Scart or component cables at launch, those should ship "several weeks" after.
He expects new stock of Wii and games next week, with about the same or less numbers.

Wes

venison crêpe
I'm so annoyed at myself for not preordering WiiPlay when I had the chance now. Will have to search the shops for it during the run up Christmas I guess. Well I shouldn't complain too much. I have a Wii arriving in 3 days :D

darkbanjo

I'm not getting my Wii until second shipment (Boo) but I'm wondering whether I should get Zelda when I can if it's going to run out. Anyone else in the same boat?

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
kibitzer said:
On Oxford Street in London there is a GAME store on the top floor of Debenhams, that is usually a good shout for stuff on launch day, I bought both my GBA SP and DSlite from there on launch day with no problems.

I would say thats probably your best bet for anyone who hasn't pre-ordered a Wii.

Are you sure that's definitely still open? I thought it had closed down.

kojacker said:
Can someone sum up what we think will happen on launch day, will it sell out or should there be enough in the stores? I'm about to cancel my pre-order, but I'd rather keep it and pass it on if i thought someone might miss out.

Ask the people that regret not lining up early and still cant find one. Be there early or youre going to be scrapping for a system. Too close to Xmas for that.....

spieler17

OnkelC said:
My online dealer (spielegrotte.de) just sent a mail concerning his initial shipments. He will get 37 Wii units, 37 copies of Zelda and 37 copies of Wii play. He also stated that there will be NO Scart or component cables at launch, those should ship "several weeks" after.
He expects new stock of Wii and games next week, with about the same or less numbers.
i was number 174 on their preorder list:lol

r4z4

Great King Bowser said:
Are you sure that's definitely still open? I thought it had closed down.

Definitely still open, I was there a couple of weeks back and my friend who works in Debenhams on the floor below confirmed this for me just now.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
kibitzer said:
Definitely still open, I was there a couple of weeks back and my friend who works in Debenhams on the floor below confirmed this for me just now.

Oh right thanks. Might have to do check them out. Any chance you can ask said friend to hide me a Wii? :lol

painey

my local store is getting 200 and putting them on the shelf at midnight. but you cant queue or buy them until 8am.. there truly are some morons in higher up positions

Neomoto

A few days ago I got a mail from the store I pre-orderd that they got less Wii's then expected (the Netherlands) so I have to look and hope that somehow, I can find one in a store somewhere. But the funny (?) thing is, today Twilight Princess found it's way to my home. I have the game but I can't play it. YEARS of waiting and now this happens :(

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
I got my preorder at Game (sthlm, sweden) confirmed. They're getting 27 wiis but only 3 extra remotes :mad: They will have plenty of cables though (Scart at least, no idea about component).

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Hey, Amazon people, whats going on at your end?

My bloody games have been sent, but my Wii is still getting ready, putting his seat-belt on, choosing the best DS game for the ride over here. Either that or Amazon lost it.

What is your status?

megateto

I forgot to mention that I was one of the lucky Spaniards who managed to get a Wii on Tuesday evening.

The Wii street date broken even made it into the newspapers, and today you can read about it in some of them: www.elpais.es

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
megateto said:
I forgot to mention that I was one of the lucky Spaniards who managed to get a Wii on Tuesday evening.

The Wii street date broken even made it into the newspapers, and today you can read about it in some of them: www.elpais.es

La Wii, agotada antes de salir al mercado en España

.. :S

painey

i just 100% got confirmation i will get mine tomorrow :D its still gunna be hit and miss if i get zelda or not though :(

Xellotah

My Order from HMV Oxford Circus won't be fullfilled. Since I got a day of tommorrow, I think I'm gonna trawl the streets for a Wii.

I'm betting places like Currys should have a couple in stock.

CrunchyB

I waited to long with placing a preorder :(

Tomorrow I'll check 4 stores close to eachother at 9:30 when they all open. It's a longshot though, I'll probably end up scouring the city :|

Milpool

McBacon said:
Hey, Amazon people, whats going on at your end?

My bloody games have been sent, but my Wii is still getting ready, putting his seat-belt on, choosing the best DS game for the ride over here. Either that or Amazon lost it.

What is your status?

Just looked and mine has been sent already, to my surprise. My girlfriend insisted on getting Zelda and an extra Wiimote from HMV 'cause we had a voucher code, they better send today, never dealt with HMV online at a launch.

Turned up at Oxford St HMV at 8.30 this morning, had my name taken down, picture taken - #44 or so in the list, told to come back at 9pm this evening to get my wristband so I can get my Wii at tonights launch. Woo. Relief.

Xellotah

AdamChrisH said:
Turned up at Oxford St HMV at 8.30 this morning, had my name taken down, picture taken - #44 or so in the list, told to come back at 9pm this evening to get my wristband so I can get my Wii at tonights launch. Woo. Relief.

Yeah, I had a phone call asking me to come along as well.... Its just that I had my holiday booked for tommorrow .. not today :(

Xellotah said:
Yeah, I had a phone call asking me to come along as well.... Its just that I had my holiday booked for tommorrow .. not today :(
Do you live in London? If so you coulda probably come along. :( They said there were starting at 10am, but when I got there at 8.30 they were already taking down names and pictures, and musta been for an hour or so since I was 40 odd.

Xellotah

AdamChrisH said:
Do you live in London? If so you coulda probably come along. :( They said there were starting at 10am, but when I got there at 8.30 they were already taking down names and pictures, and musta been for an hour or so since I was 40 odd.

I live in london, but I'm at work and I think I've missed the boat on this.

Oh well ... got the whole day tommorrow.

Xellotah said:
I live in london, but I'm at work and I think I've missed the boat on this.

Oh well ... got the whole day tommorrow.
Yeah, there'll be some about - might take a load of hunting, but if you're dedicated you should get one... That was my initial plan, had even mentally made note of my action plan of stores to attack, but yeah, saw this advertised and thought I'd give it a go. I bet the idea won't be so clever when I get mugged on the nightbus home! :D

Magicpaint said:
Going to my local GAME early tomorrow around 7am. I'm practically guaranteed a system. :)

Me too was phoned last week to ask what i wanted with the system. And got my youve got a launch day wii letter ages ago.:D

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
Damnit I shouldn't have let the rain deter me. If 8.30am was good enough to get in the HMV line. Damnit.

Fun trawl around London for me tomorrow then. :lol

Great King Bowser said:
Damnit I shouldn't have let the rain deter me. If 8.30am was good enough to get in the HMV line. Damnit.
I thought it was going all too well weather wise - wasn't raining at all... Until I started walking home feeling all smug with myself, and then got rained on, attacked by hailstones, and my umbrella threatened by lightning.

emilio

Today is Wii launch day in Italy, because tomorrow is a national holiday and stores are closed.
The store I picked up mine from only had consoles for those who preordered, making me think our country is probably overlooking the whole Wii effect and its impact in the States.
Work now, unbundling tonight.

bgudna

oh man this sucks so baaaad .. i gotta birthday comin up and if there´s gonna be shortages then my gf won´t be able to locate one and i´ll get a stinkin´ shirt or a pair of socks for my birthday, if i´m lucky!

Rahul

Just headed down to the ToysRUs in the Hague to be told that there were roughly 1000 reservations and they received a shipment of 30... meaning tough luck. So I guess I can rely on my bol.com order...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Rahul said:
Just headed down to the ToysRUs in the Hague to be told that there were roughly 1000 reservations and they received a shipment of 30... meaning tough luck. So I guess I can rely on my bol.com order...

Wow, looks like there's been some uneven distribution going on. The store my preorder is at has had 150 preorders and received ~70 units. I'm guessing Nintendo weren't strictly looking at preorder numbers, but maybe the typical size of business done with each store..

Aurora

I had no pre-order or anything. Nothing planned for the Wii. I just go down to HMV at 9.30 and they asked if I wanted to take part in the event tonight. A few minutes later they take my name down and take my picture.

:lol :lol :lol

All these people gloating because they pre-ordered 5 months ago... I go there for 2 minutes and I'm guaranteed a Wii before anyone else in Europe. Not to mention drinking champagne with celebs, free games, limited edition Zelda.

:lol Wiiiiiii

luffeN

Maxrpg said:
ARE YOU GUYS HYPED??? IT'S TOMORROW!!

All you Europeans are going to join the big happy Wii family. :)

i sure am !

my retailer called me yesterday that 15 of 41 wiis got shipped to him, but he isnt allowed to sell it before the 8. of december :(

anyway.. in my country only 21 hours left till i can buy oooooooonnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeee ! :D

Aurora said:
I had no pre-order or anything. Nothing planned for the Wii. I just go down to HMV at 9.30 and they asked if I wanted to take part in the event tonight. A few minutes later they take my name down and take my picture.

:lol :lol :lol

All these people gloating because they pre-ordered 5 months ago... I go there for 2 minutes and I'm guaranteed a Wii before anyone else in Europe. Not to mention drinking champagne with celebs, free games, limited edition Zelda.

:lol Wiiiiiii

lol, be sure to snap a pic from that limited zelda edition

megateto

Aurora said:
I go there for 2 minutes and I'm guaranteed a Wii before anyone else in Europe. Not to mention drinking champagne with celebs, free games, limited edition Zelda.

So Spain is not Europe anymore?:D

I do envy you on the LE Zelda and on the free booze: you are going to get on a wild Wii drunk evening. You know, you are a fellow gaffer, bring us the pics!!!

Top Bottom